It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Does Mitt Romney Want To Restrict Voting Rights For More Than 900,000 Ohio Veterans?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
Someone explain this gently to me. Why is it an issue if only active military is allowed an extra few days?

Lower income plus blue-collar workers...manufacturing etc. the elderly and the unemployed...all make use of early voting.

Why? Because they can't afford to take work off to go wait in line to vote on election day. They are paid the hour, not salary and work long hours and extended shifts. Not everyone can set aside a few hours to drive, wait in line and vote on a single Tuesday, Nov. 6th. There will be many people that will not risk thier job or choose to loose that income to vote. Most older folks also use early voting as waiting in long lines is not easy for them.

This is not speculation...this is repeatedly and indisputably proven through polls and statistics.

It is in the GOPs favor this election to disinfranchise the working poor and the elderly as both are not happy with the GOPs plans.

Early voters represented 37% in Ohio in 2008.
Nationally early voters represent about 30%.
In Florida with large elderly populations it is over 50%.
elections.gmu.edu...

Jim Greer, ex- Florida GOP chair, says party officials discussed black voter suppression
thegrio.com...

Former GOP Govenor Charlie Crist blasts Rick Scott’s ‘unconscionable’ voter suppression tactics
www.rawstory.com...

edit on 7-8-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by TsukiLunar

One day voting has been in effect since forever. Why change?

Hey, Beez! If it isn't my favorite "freedom for some" advocate! How's it going? Let's talk about one-day voting...

32 states and DC have early voting.
27 states and DC have absentee voting, no excuse required.
21 states have absentee voting if you have an excuse.
2 states have mail-only voting.
Only 15 states have no early voting, but offer absentee voting with an excuse.

Source

Now where's your link showing that "One day voting has been in effect since forever"? Thanks.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by BritofTexas

I don't have a problem with voter ID. However the state must supply it free of charge or you are being charged to vote.

Here is how that works..Low-income/working poor folks in the city, who niether have a drivers lisence, nor a car.

OK...the state provides a "free" voter ID card. Sounds kind of fair??

Until you finally track down where to get the voter ID card and find out there are just a few offices in your state that issue voter ID cards, located 20-50 miles away from lower income neighborhoods (by design) and open only a few times per month during work hours.

Remember...these are the working poor, live in the city, and don't have a drivers lisence or cars.

Get it?
edit on 7-8-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I have finally caught up to the thread. I'm really pleased to see the level of discussion and I even learned something new, which is always fun! Thanks to everyone!

reply to post by xuenchen

Most of the cases of fraud you cite are registration fraud, in that the fraud allegedly took place around the registration of voters.

The practice of early voting has no influence one way or another if the fraud is in the registration process.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

My apologies, I wasn't clear enough.

The voting ID should be sent out well in advance of the election to everybody who is registered to vote. (Voter registration itself is another topic.)

It doesn't have to be photo ID just numbered. (More like the British system). They can even put a hologram or other anti forgery devices on it.

But these should be sent out, free of charge, and voters should not have to find them for themselves.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Wow, that's some serious political spin from a well know left wing propaganda site. I expect nothing less from BH. She has been a shill for the MSM and democrat party for years.

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by Domo1

Originally posted by Domo1
Someone explain this gently to me. Why is it an issue if only active military is allowed an extra few days? I thought the point in allowing that was so that they had time to get the votes in from wherever they are.

Active military doesn't need extra days. Those stationed overseas have access to absentee voting, which is, in essence, early voting.

You've clearly never been active military.....
edit on 7-8-2012 by PvtHudson because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by PvtHudson

Wow, that's some serious political spin from a well know right wing propaganda site. I expect nothing less from PvtHudson. He has been a shill for the MSM and republican party for years. (name-calling goes both ways, pal)

FTR, I am an Ohio veteran, and will be among those 900,000 voters whose voting rights have been restricted by the Ohio Republican party.

Most active duty military personnel are located out of their home state and vote by absentee ballot. If the polling places can be open for the final 3 days prior to election day to accommodate active duty, they can just as easily be open to accommodate ALL voters - just like it was before the voter-restriction drive by the GOP stopped it.

The GOP is creating two tiers of voters - and violating the 14th amendment. Where are all the Tea Party defenders of the constitution now???

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Why is the DNC only picking on Ohio?? a proven battleground state. Reality check!!!!

Why not pick on states that do not require employers to allow their workers time off to vote. There are currently 19 states and the District of Columbia with no such provision. 31 states, including Ohio, have laws governing time off to vote especially for those with little time off outside of working hours to cast their vote. Some states will even pay you for your time spent voting.

Add to that, absentee and provisional ballots, and voting seems quite accessible.

Ohio only began to offer early voting after problems in the 2004 election. Early voting opened a whole new can of worms that became relevant in elections since then. ONe problem was the ability to register and cast an absentee ballot at the SAME TIME.

2008 Flashback

PILGRIM: The Republicans lost their suit against the rule in the Ohio Supreme Court. They charge the Democratic secretary of state changed the rules to usher in scores of new voters for presidential candidate Barack Obama. She denies the charge. The secretary of state's office estimates that a quarter of all votes cast in this election, more than a million and a half, will be absentee ballots.

PILGRIM: Now Secretary of State Brunner's office today said there are safeguards for checking the registration of new voters. They're satisfied with the proof of identity requirements, but critics say election boards are unprepared to register and check this quantity of new voters just before an important election, Lou.

DOBBS: Has everybody lost their minds? There's no way for these volunteers to check that. I mean it's an absurdity.

PILGRIM: Yeah, the officials we spoke to today say the county boards are just overwhelmed with the volume that they have to do at this point. It's such a big election.

DOBBS: Well, it is a big election, important election, but apparently no one cares about that. Kitty, thank you very much. Kitty Pilgrim.

So you can register for same day voting in Ohio with nothing more than a college ID. And other than Lou Dobbs, where is the rest of the MSM on reporting about this abuse of the election system?

Read more: newsbusters.org...

Back then the Dems were hell bent on changing the rules during the election campaign. GOP filed suit and lost in Ohio. I guess the dems are angry that the GOP is hellbent on closing the door to election fraud in the great Buckeye State.

More from 2008 in Ohio. Meet the "Vote From Home 08" bunch

Something smells at 2885 Brownlee Avenue in Columbus, Ohio.

Here’s the stench: An entire houseful of young, non-Ohioan Democrat activists have used the Brownlee Avenue address to register themselves to vote in the Buckeye State and secure absentee ballots under extremely shady circumstances — all while mobilizing a large effort to register thousands of others for absentee and early voting. The activists are leaders of a group called “Vote From Home ’08.” The group is self-identified as having “extensive experience with political organizing, election administration, and Democratic politics.” They were hailed as the “Justice League” by a Daily Kos blogger. Their Facebook page brags: “Want to turn the Presidential election blue in a key swing state? Vote from Home is a political organization that was founded by a team of young people for the purpose of assisting, aiding, and tracking voters to elect progressive candidates to the White House. Encouraged by the excitement of the 2008 elections and the movement around the Democratic candidates, Vote From Home will be in Ohio seeking to deliver 10,000 votes to Democratic candidates statewide.”

michellemalkin.com...
Is it wrong to actually learn from mistakes of the past?? So many cases of voter fraud originate from the left.... and its the left who is fighting to bring back the revolving door of voter fraud in OHIO.

Go Figure.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

I think you better get used to the fact that President Mitt Romney will be moving

into the White House January 20, 2013.

-----------
This is where the professionals go to seek the truth.

- President Mitt Romney - 2012 - 2020

I see President Mitt Romney getting at least 285 Electoral Votes. He only needs 270 to win.

------------

President Mitt Romney will take Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, Ohio, Wisconsin &

Colorado.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

I think you better get used to the fact that President Mitt Romney will be moving into the White House January 20, 2013.

I have no doubt the fix is in - hence the voter-suppression tactics being employed across swing states.

To the poster who asked "why is this only in Ohio?" Well, think about it - the Ohio republican party is the one that created the legislation to violate the 14th amendment. What was the DNC supposed to do, file a suit in Albuquerque?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Is it wrong to actually learn from mistakes of the past?? So many cases of voter fraud originate from the left.... and its the left who is fighting to bring back the revolving door of voter fraud in OHIO.

What cases of voter fraud? You say "It increased", by how much?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Start with the ACORN seed and go from there...

www.rottenacorn.com...

The complete guide to ACORN voter fraud.
pjmedia.com...

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
No one is seeing the big picture here. Both parties want close to a million votes cast on an electronic voting machine, not a piece of paper that can be counted and verified. By casting on the EVM, the PTB can control who wins the "popular" vote. It's not only in Ohio but other states as well. They want NO paper ballots.

Actually everyone on this thread is beating a dead horse (or elephant or donkey) because, the ELECTRONIC COMPUTERIZED VOTING MACHINES will be programmed to select the highest bidder. Obama is in the lead right now with the almost trillion dollars of our tax money used to "bail" out the banks. I don't believe Romney can come close to match it, unless the third mass shooting involves the President (God forbid, 'cause there would go our guns).

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

www.rottenacorn.com...

pjmedia.com...

I asked for voter fraud. Not registration.

How many case of voter fraud, as in illegally casting votes, occurred?

BTW, why does restricting the amount of days voters have to cast their vote, stop registration fraud?
edit on 7-8-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

www.rottenacorn.com...

pjmedia.com...

Oh yes, ACORN !

We appear to live in a society of chronic amnesiacs.

Major fraud in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Thank God ACORN was shutdown.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

www.rottenacorn.com...

pjmedia.com...

I asked for voter fraud. Not registration.

How many case of voter fraud, as in illegally casting votes, occurred?

BTW, why does restricting the amount of days voters have to cast their vote, stop registration fraud?

How many dead people will be voting this year?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

So now we're splitting hairs between Voter Fraud and registration fraud. It is ALL voter fraud. All of it. No difference, no lesser evil that the Dems often like to seek. Fraud!!

Electoral fraud is illegal interference with the process of an election. Acts of fraud affect vote counts to bring about an election result, whether by increasing the vote share of the favored candidate, depressing the vote share of the rival candidates, or both. Also called voter fraud, the mechanisms involved include illegal voter registration, intimidation at polls and improper vote counting. What electoral fraud is under law varies from country to country.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

They are not the same thing.

Even if they were, you still have not explained how many ballots were cast illegally or how removing a three day period to vote eliminates the problem of voter registration fraud.

So, eliminating the three day period, how does it solve the problem of illegal voter registration, which is what you the numbers you are quoting refer to.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Yes they are the same thing. Prove that they are different.

As for the fraud. As part of the early voting stipulation in Ohio, Fraudsters were able to overwhelm the system by registering and casting absentee votes at the same time. There was no chance for any volunteer or staffer to verify anything prior to the vote being cast. The deal was done. I've posted all of it...

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
reply to post by jibeho

They are not the same thing.

Even if they were, you still have not explained how many ballots were cast illegally or how removing a three day period to vote eliminates the problem of voter registration fraud.

So, eliminating the three day period, how does it solve the problem of illegal voter registration, which is what you the numbers you are quoting refer to.

We will see a - landslide victory - for President Mitt Romney on November 6, 2012.

It won't be close. Voting shenanigans will be made mute.

The Tea Party Firepower will put President Mitt Romney way over the top.

----------

Less than 3 months to go. I can already hear the Obama concession speech.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join