It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Does Mitt Romney Want To Restrict Voting Rights For More Than 900,000 Ohio Veterans?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
We've seen the thread that claims "Obama wants to restrict voting rights for the military members". Of course, the truth of the matter is that The GOP legislature in Ohio voted to restricted early voting for everyone EXCEPT military members, and the Democrats and the Obama Campaign are suing to have the early voting reinstated for EVERYONE equally...

The GOP has turned this around to suggest Obama is somehow anti-military... It doesn't make sense, I know, but it's what I expect from them... But to look at this another way, restricting the voting rights of only a portion of the citizens of Ohio seems VERY discriminatory, if you ask me, but the GOP doesn't ask me. Neither do they apparently care about the over 900,000 citizens who are military veterans and have served their country. I guess their military service doesn't count to Mitt...

Source

Mitt Romney, by supporting the Ohio law that would do away with three days of early voting for all but those covered under the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voter Act (‘UOCAVA’), is supporting the restriction of voting rights for as many as 913,000 Ohio veterans. This includes military retirees with over 20 years of service and multiple deployments. In short, Mitt Romney supports efforts to make voting more difficult for the very people who have put their lives on the line after swearing an oath to uphold our Constitution and democracy.

Romney Supports JimCrowsStyle Laws

Additional information:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 8/6/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

edit on Tue, 07 Aug 2012 09:07:05 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: add link per member request

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Awesome!!!! I am glad that the GOP is finally using the same Chicago political tactics that Obama and Eric Holder have been using!!! Want some cheese with that whine?

Edit: To boot you put a link from Thinkprogress, the George Soros funded website that posted streetlamps were melting in OK due to global warming, leaving out the fact that they actually melted from a dumpster fire???
edit on 6-8-2012 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

Awesome!!!! I am glad that the GOP is finally using the same Chicago political tactics that Obama and Eric Holder have been using!!! Want some cheese with that whine?

Um... I think you missed the point. People were getting all Freedom Fry on Obama because he was trying to stop a law that would also block early voting. If that law passes, it will restrict voting for veterans. This is pointing out that what Mittens wants would be every bit as damaging to our service folks as what Obama wants.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Perhaps they realize there manufactured propaganda isn't working as well as they like so the only chance they have to win to to use voter suppression.
edit on 6-8-2012 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Someone explain this gently to me. Why is it an issue if only active military is allowed an extra few days? I thought the point in allowing that was so that they had time to get the votes in from wherever they are. My brain feels like jelly today. I blame the heat.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Romney is the poster boy for "sleaze ball." This law is pure garbage any way you spin it.

It's sad that there is so much focus on soldiers and veterans, and only small mention of the vast majority of civilian, non-veteran people who's ability to vote would also be restricted - but to be fair the Romney Campaign did set the tone.

It's shameful that the race for what is arguably the most important office on the planet is won behind the scenes, in legal battles before any normal person has cast a vote.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
Someone explain this gently to me. Why is it an issue if only active military is allowed an extra few days? I thought the point in allowing that was so that they had time to get the votes in from wherever they are. My brain feels like jelly today. I blame the heat.

The current law in Ohio allows for EVERYONE to vote early. Romney and Co. are backing a change to that law that would prevent all of those early votes, sans active military. The Obama Administration is suing to block the change.

All people should be allowed to vote early if anyone is - otherwise it can be used as a mechanism to discourage certain demographics from voting; mostly the poor and elderly (democrats).

Let's just all agree that NEITHER PARTY IS GOOD FOR THE UNITED STATES and get along.

IMO the meat and potatoes of this issue is that the Romney Campaign is spinning this as if Obama is attacking the rights of the military, when in fact he is defending (for political reasons, of course) the rights of all Americans, or rather, Ohioans.
edit on 6-8-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Um... I think you missed the point. People were getting all Freedom Fry on Obama because he was trying to stop a law that would also block early voting. If that law passes, it will restrict voting for veterans. This is pointing out that what Mittens wants would be every bit as damaging to our service folks as what Obama wants.

Nope! I didn't miss the point at all!! This post is nothing more than left propaganda! It has nothing to do with the military as below video will prove!!

The OP is a total fabrication of the facts! If you want to believe it, that is your choice, but I have evidence that proves otherwise!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Ohio Republican's restrictive voting law, ends early voting for the non-military class while keeping the early voting for the military class

You're missing the point entirely here. Romney wants to deprive civilian Ohioans to vote the same time military members do. Military members should not have special voting privileges, it is against the constitution.

edit on 6-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

reply to post by Cuervo

Nope! I didn't miss the point at all!! This post is nothing more than left propaganda! It has nothing to do with the military as below video will prove!!

The OP is a total fabrication of the facts! If you want to believe it, that is your choice, but I have evidence that proves otherwise!

Don't be fooled by the doublespeak, dude. You're better than that.

***ETA***

It's amazing how well the spin works.. I don't mean this to single anyone out or to be offensive at all, but seriously it's frightening how well it works. Already people are vehemently defending an obvious piece of political trickery and spin (doublespeak). Why do we let them control our thoughts with so little effort?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

You're missing the point entirely here. Romney wants to deprive civilian Ohioans to vote the same time military members do.

I am not missing any point at all! The military due to duty rosters and deployments should have a chance to get their votes counted, should they not?

Explain to me, why a civilian needs to vote early, when they are free to come and go as they choose? If they don't have the ability to be at the polls, then they always can use the absentee ballot and still vote! This is nothing more than Bi partisan garbage and you know it!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Don't be fooled by the doublespeak, dude. You're better than that.

***ETA***

It's amazing how well the spin works.. I don't mean this to single anyone out or to be offensive at all, but seriously it's frightening how well it works. Already people are vehemently defending an obvious piece of political trickery and spin (doublespeak). Why do we let them control our thoughts with so little effort?

I agree with you! However, the OP stated something that was obviously NOT TRUE! That is why I posted in the first place...
I appreciate your response though!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

It started after election reform after the 2000 election:

IN mid-August, Walden W. O'Dell, the chief executive of Diebold Inc., sat down at his computer to compose a letter inviting 100 wealthy and politically inclined friends to a Republican Party fund-raiser, to be held at his home in a suburb of Columbus, Ohio. ''I am committed to helping Ohio deliver its electoral votes to the president next year,'' wrote Mr. O'Dell, whose company is based in Canton, Ohio.

That is hardly unusual for Mr. O'Dell. A longtime Republican, he is a member of President Bush's ''Rangers and Pioneers,'' an elite group of loyalists who have raised at least $100,000 each for the 2004 race.

But it is not the only way that Mr. O'Dell is involved in the election process. Through Diebold Election Systems, a subsidiary in McKinney, Tex., his company is among the country's biggest suppliers of paperless, touch-screen voting machines.

link

Then this happened in 2004:

So one of the changes made was to open voting up for 3 days before the election.

And they had no problems in 2006 and 2008

Obama won the state by 200,000 votes in 2008, now the same party that caused all the problems in 2004 are now wishing to undo what has fixed the voting issues in Ohio.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Explain to me, why a civilian needs to vote early, when they are free to come and go as they choose? If they don't have the ability to be at the polls, then they always can use the absentee ballot and still vote! This is nothing more than Bi partisan garbage and you know it!

Because we are not a class society. People who are elderly, or work multiple jobs, or have children might cast an otherwise uncast vote if given more time to do so. In the USA, where we value freedom, justice, and equality above all things (or at least claim to), no "class" should be given privilege over another. I am able to vote early in my state and have done so many times. I am not active or former military - I just work a lot and have a family. Once I was spending a year out of state and voted by absentee ballot.

Restricting these rights for ordinary Americans results in an improper representation of the USA as a whole come election day.

In my opinion this is a non partisan issue that everyone should agree on. To me this is basic honesty, integrity, and sense of fairness.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

I appreciate the reply. I agree that everyone should have equal time to vote. I think it's sad everything is turned into a pissing match.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Seems very convenient for DNC to claim voting discrimination for civilian Ohioans who reside in Ohio and can vote on election day no problem simply by going to their local precinct and voting, Leaving in place 3 day early voting makes perfect sense for "active" duty military as they are reliant on the mail service to cast their ballot by election day.

Brewhaha seems to be how to suppress active duty military vote when in fact most states have an "absentee" voting process in place for civilians to cast ballots if they are on vacation and such. Much ado about nothing IMO.

Removing 3 day early voting for active duty military certainly seems advantage for Obama as those votes usually fall the other way in majority.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Wow. You're really not getting it. The political parties are really irrelevant as this is a constitutional issue.

Ohio republicans just passed a law that would give military voters extra privileges. Before the law was passed EVERYONE could vote early. The rep law violates the constitution.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

en.wikipedia.org...

People in the military are not a special class of citizen, every Ohioan should have the same equal opportunity to vote.

Why do you support taking my opportunity to vote away and giving it to another?

Because I'm a lowly civilian?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
We ALL know (whether rightwingers here admit it or not) that the GOP wants to tighten voting rules to limit the number of Democrat voters.

There is no proven voter fraud problem in ANY state. For example, let's look at TX: www.politifact.com...

Just a handful of convictions (or even charges filed) in a decade.

So the simple truth is the Right wants to limit the voting rights -- our foundational freedom -- of millions to prevent a problem PROVEN not to exist. Our voting rights are the dead center of our rights as a citizen.

Remind your faux conservatives of this when they rant about loving the Constitution and claiming to be on freedom's side. The Right has no interest in the National god, only what furthers their theocratic march.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix
Seems very convenient for DNC to claim voting discrimination for civilian Ohioans who reside in Ohio and can vote on election day no problem simply by going to their local precinct and voting, Leaving in place 3 day early voting makes perfect sense for "active" duty military as they are reliant on the mail service to cast their ballot by election day.

Brewhaha seems to be how to suppress active duty military vote when in fact most states have an "absentee" voting process in place for civilians to cast ballots if they are on vacation and such. Much ado about nothing IMO.

Removing 3 day early voting for active duty military certainly seems advantage for Obama as those votes usually fall the other way in majority.

My question to you: Are you repeating something you heard or are you the proverbial "Talking Head" I keep hearing about?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

We ALL know (whether rightwingers here admit it or not) that the GOP wants to tighten voting rules to limit the number of Democrat voters.
'

They've admitted they want to restrict voting rights so

ROMNEY CAN WIN

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join