It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Does Mitt Romney Want To Restrict Voting Rights For More Than 900,000 Ohio Veterans?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Did you live in a city? That is where most of the 2004 voting issues were. Which is why the Republicans wrote this law up.

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Tanya Thivener's is a tale of two voting precincts in Franklin County. In her city neighborhood, which is vastly Democratic and majority black, the 38-year-old mortgage broker found a line snaking out of the precinct door.

She stood in line for four hours -- one hour in the rain -- and watched dozens of potential voters mutter in disgust and walk away without casting a ballot. Afterward, Thivener hopped in her car and drove to her mother's house, in the vastly Republican and majority white suburb of Harrisburg. How long, she asked, did it take her to vote?

Fifteen minutes, her mother replied.

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

From seven-hour lines that drove voters away to malfunctioning machines to poorly trained poll workers who directed people to the wrong polling places to uneven policies about the use of provisional ballots, Ohio has become this year's example for every ailment in the United States' electoral process.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

This video shows how you are incorrect:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Mentioning voter ID laws is a definite derail. IMHO those have been so disproven as an impediment to voting that I view claims otherwise as based on ignorance of the facts or an absolute laziness to go get the facts - nogh said.

Claiming some kind of problem for ex-military veterans who reside in Ohio is about as false flag as you can get, please tell me they cannot make it to their local precinct what within 2-3 miles of there home - get freakin serious! that 900,000 number is nothing but smoke based on residency by now private citizens, Ie; non-military, non-active veterans - in other words civilians at home. The smoke was to artificially gin up some numbers to be eye opening to those who only scan the surface.

The real deal here is to disallow "ACTIVE" duty personnel overseas or out of state the right to have their vote counted on election day thereby forcing a so called close vote into a re-count situation, we all know how those end up when ballots are suddenly found in car trunks or filing cabinets after six or more re-counts, etc.

Yup, "ACTIVE" duty military do have a right to have their votes counted on election day just as you in-state people do - thats why your legislature exempted them.

Otherwise let the shenaginans begin again.

You DNC'ers are just upset the game is up thats all.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

NOBODY was denied the right to vote! They could have applied for an Absentee Ballot.

Not if you were planning to go early only to find out that your laws had changed. Is that the plan of the GOP?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

Or by limiting the days it will ensure 5 hour long lines again and a lot of people will leave.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

If they really want to excercise their right they'll stay no matter what, otherwise if a date at McDonalds is more important then it becomes an issue of setting priorities, such is life wah!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Bah!
I lived in the City of Cleveland in 2004 and was registered to a Cleveland voting precinct. I arrived around 7:30 AM and waited in line about 30 minutes. I cast my vote and I went to work. No problem.

Again, if one is anticipating difficulties in fulfilling their Constitutional right to vote and so desires, they are welcome to apply for an Absentee Ballot. My parents, very aged, have done this for the past 20 years to avoid having to go out and wait in line. They've not been disenfranchised. Have not had their rights violated. Were not impeeded from casting a legal ballot in any manner or form. And surprisingly, they were able to do so without having to request many extra days to do it.

You have a choice... Show up on the Second Tuesday of November and cast a ballot, apply in advance for an Absentee Ballot or DON'T VOTE!!!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
reply to post by kozmo

NOBODY was denied the right to vote! They could have applied for an Absentee Ballot.

Not if you were planning to go early only to find out that your laws had changed. Is that the plan of the GOP?

Um, this proposed change was publicized last spring and has been VERY front and center in the news. But, wow, you ruined the surprise!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Why can't you get the point of this whole situation?

Ohio had HUGE ISSUES in prior elections that resulted in 5 hour long lines...that is why the early voting rules were made. The republicans TOOK THAT AWAY from civilians, and only allowed military to do so. This will ensure the less people will have the ablity to vote.

On top of all of that you cannot make laws that allow special voting privileges to special groups. Imagine the law said

"Rich people will be able to vote 3 days and low-income can only vote on one select day."

Understand the issue now?
edit on 6-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Oh snap! And I bet the overseas votes will get lost somewhere. This is well... the end of politics as we in America have ever known.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix

What about jobs, school, kids? Please come to reality.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

So you're trying to say that because you didn't have an issue no one else did? It is documented over and over again that Ohio was plagued with issues in 2004.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix

If they really want to excercise their right they'll stay no matter what, otherwise if a date at McDonalds is more important then it becomes an issue of setting priorities, such is life wah!

Due to Ohio's high population the lines will be absolutely huge like they were in 2004. It made practical sense to increase the amount of time for voters to cast their ballots.

It is unfair to expect people to wait 5 hours to cast their ballot when the problem can be alleviated. People have other things to do.

The old law increased voter participation, which is always a good thing. It is suspicious that laws that helped voters vote would be changed so close to the election. Why don't they wait till afterward so as to avoid confusion? Why didn't they change the laws 2 years ago?

Biggest question: Why are they changing laws that helped increase participation in Ohio's democratic process at all?

edit on 6-8-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
This a side issue to keep us bickering amongst ourselves.

And it's working.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I have all that and more, still no problem voting. I am happy as a clam to present my ID when voting because I know each and every cast only one ballot and I have no problem doing my patiotic duty even having to wait in line.

Btw, single parent of twins here, think lifes not busy? tell you what, not busy enough to keep prorities straight.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

The number of precincts and voting places ordained by your states legislature has no bearing on the national scene, vote for a different rep at the state level who will fix this for you - maybe they can even give you an auto-vote feature where you don't even ever have to show up to vote.

Opps, reality kicked in you must be a voting minority where others don't seem to have a problem and you want the "national federal government" to fix this for you.

Sounds like sorelosermanship to me in many ways.

edit on 6-8-2012 by Phoenix because: spelling

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
reply to post by kozmo

Um, this proposed change was publicized last spring and has been VERY front and center in the news. But, wow, you ruined the surprise!

You are right, It seems it did happen last year. It was just brought to my attention the other day, so you can understand how I was confused. I don't know about being in the news "front and center", but thank you for clearing up my ignorance.

So does that justify the change?
edit on 6-8-2012 by TsukiLunar because: horrible grammer

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
The voting system is a bunch of BS in the first place.

It should take two weeks at least so everyone has enough time to cast thier vote.

BY NOW.....

We should be able to vote on our phones using our soc. # with our own password for protection. The gov't then would send registered voters another code in the mail weeks proir to the elections so everyone gets thier code.

Not only would more people vote it would end voter fraud.

This is suppose the most important vote you can cast in an election and they cram it all on a frigging tues or 3 days at best. Its garbage!!

Not to mention we really only have one party to vote for anyway. Thier just 2 sides of the same coin. Its all on big scam and people eat it up.

You want change stop voting for the Demopublicans.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

The OP is a total fabrication of the facts! If you want to believe it, that is your choice, but I have evidence that proves otherwise!

Your video proves the OP is right.

So...what other "evidence" do you have

The fact is that the GOP is trying their hardest to suppress voting...they want to restrict voting as much as they can...The Democrats want to encourage everyone to vote.

You would think you freedom loving right wingers would be outraged at the voter suppression tactics.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join