It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSM pulls Olympic race card, disgusting!!!

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I don't generally support anything the MSM does, as all they do is lie. In this case however, I don't think this is a bad thing. After all the hardships and racial bias that the African American people have suffered since slavery, I think it's noteworthy to point out just how far they have come. It would only be racial were they to call them some derogatory name referencing their skin color. This was a notable achievement and the proud African American race has yet another achievement that their oppressed people can stack on the shelf with the other achievements, as if to say, "here are some reminders that African People are just as capable and worthy as you and I".

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrimePorkchop
reply to post by Sinny

If Michael Phelps came on TV and said "I'm the first Caucasian American to win this many gold medals'
people like you would be foaming at the mouth and Photoshopping swastikas on his face.

You're just being a hypocrite.

How do you know I'm a hypocrite when you have non other of my views to comapare with?

False statement and you know it.

If he did say that, its a fact, end of.

Once again, I'll repeat my self, STATISTIC!

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
Because you don't have the same history as the US has with race relations.

You do know it was illegal just 50 years ago for non-whites to use the "whites only" drinking fountains and bathrooms...right? You do know that blacks were forced to sit on the back of the bus so the whites didn't have to look at them right...only 50 years ago...one generation...there are people still alive today that had to endure places legally telling them "We don't serve 'n-word's here".

How cute. We had slavery here in Brazil too. So what? Do you mean your country didn't get over that yet?
edit on 4/8/12 by blackcube because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackcube

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
Because you don't have the same history as the US has with race relations.

You do know it was illegal just 50 years ago for non-whites to use the "whites only" drinking fountains and bathrooms...right? You do know that blacks were forced to sit on the back of the bus so the whites didn't have to look at them right...only 50 years ago...one generation...there are people still alive today that had to endure places legally telling them "We don't serve 'n-word's here".

How cute. We had slavery here in Brazil too. So what? Do you mean your country didn't get over that yet?

You don't just "get over" something like that. It is something you should remember forever, and never try to justify or forget.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

Sure if you are a masochist.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liquesence

Some people *do* feel that their race is a barrier, especially people who are minorities, or those who have been oppressed for a long time (blacks) and are still struggling. I know for a fact that there are some blacks who feel as if their race is a barrier. Now, whether it's entirely a personal feeling or whether the MSM and our culture have unconsciously created this feeling (by their very methods) is an entirely different thing and debate, but i do not a problem with the commentator saying she is the first black person to win (even though i DO see your point, and agree with the issue of division that we need to look past), nor do i see a problem with the statement about invisible barriers (even though i DO see your point). Invisible barriers DO exist. From race, to any personal feeling about anything about what one might be self conscious.

The same issue, to me, applies when people say "why do blacks get a black history month," or "why do blacks...if it was a WHITE history month..." When a group of people have been trodden on and oppressed for so long (and still are in instances), and many are still struggling in our culture, and see themselves as inferior (even in the 21st Century) if makes sense to recognize and honor the perseverance and accomplishment (even of anyone, yes, but in this case--that the person is black--it offers a model for others, and that many people need a role model and something to seek, something to hope for, especially those less fortunate).

And while i do agree that we need to move beyond grouping and labeling we also can't *forget.* So that the first black president, the first black Olympic winner, the first of *anything* is significant.

If it had been the first caucasian to win something in a predominantly Asian or African event (and i am NOT saying the Olympics are a caucasian/white event) it would be "the first caucasian," or "the first woman," or "the first man."

Same thing.

There is no *agenda* here.

If people, regardless of race, sex, nationality, etc, see themselves as inferior it's not up to the rest of the population to go out of their way to make sure those people get special attention. And that goes for whites, blacks, hispanics etc. If people want to live their lives in victim mode and blame someone else for their misfortune then they deserve their lot in life. Do you think someone like Jay Z or J Lo sees themselves as inferior?

I'm white and I can't help what happened over 200 hundred years ago with slavery. I can't change what Hitler did, nor can I change how people might feel about illegal immigrants. But I'm not going to feel sorry for or think anyone deserves special treatment if I had nothing to do with what happened to their race. Just because I'm white doesn't mean I have to feel or be responsible for the actions or feelings of other whites that want to oppress.

I'm a 40 year old white American and I am struggling to stay afloat just like so many other Americans. I never got any special breaks or good jobs because of my skin color. I want my kids to have the best opportunities just like any other parent, regardless of race. But believe me when I say that my children don't have a better chance to succeed just because they are white.

I don't know if there is an agenda but please explain why it's acceptable in America to acknowledge and celebrate the achievements of certain races but not for others? I am not certain but please show me where if a caucasian was the first to win an event that had been dominated by another race for years or the first ever that the media would mention it. I would rather there be no special acknowledgement of race with achievements but if that is really what people want so they can have pride for their race then let's even the playing field for all.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
You don't just "get over" something like that. It is something you should remember forever, and never try to justify or forget.

So the best solution is to keep reminding.. You are different, you are HALF what the rest of people are... Yeah, great approach!

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

Sure if you are a masochist.

So what happens if the world decides to forget the effects of slavery? Do we still realize it is wrong?

What about the slaves themselves? Do we forget about them? Do we pretend such a thing never existed?

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

So the best solution is to keep reminding.. You are different, you are HALF what the rest of people are... Yeah, great approach!

Pretending the mistakes of mankind never happened is WRONG. We should ALWAYS learn from the mistakes of the past.

Yeah, i think it is a "great approach".

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankenchrist

NOM NOM NOM

What is this crap, not even real gold. Only worth about a 600 bucks
wiki.answers.com...

What got me was the commercial they played right after costas said what he did
it was some situation comedy about a vet and showed a monkey swinging on rings
edit on 4-8-2012 by sirnukeem because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

The slaves don't exist anymore. The slave owners don't exist anymore. Go ahead and keep beating yourself over the head with it if you want. Feel bad cuz your great great great great great great great great grandparents might have owned a slave. Or feel inferior because your great great great great great great great great grandparents might have been a slave. Stupid way to live if you ask me.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

The slaves don't exist anymore. The slave owners don't exist anymore. Go ahead and keep beating yourself over the head with it if you want. Feel bad cuz your great great great great great great great great grandparents might have owned a slave. Or feel inferior because your great great great great great great great great grandparents might have been a slave. Stupid way to live if you ask me.

So you are telling me that because "slaves don't exist anymore(they do, just not in America)" I should just forget that they ever did? Or that I should "get over" the fact that mankind has proven itself to have the capability to force other people into slavery? Did we officially ever lose that aspect of our species?

Maybe I should "forget" all the past wars as well? Maybe I should "forget" the Atomic Bomb? Where DOES the "forgetting" of the wrongdoings of mankind's past stop?

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Pretending the mistakes of mankind never happened is WRONG. We should ALWAYS learn from the mistakes of the past.

Yeah, i think it is a "great approach".

No it is not. You are telling is great to call someone she is HALF-XYZ. What human mistakes had anything to do with the question? In my point of view your just saying "hey you all half-xyz" you are not 100% like the rest of us... it's just the complete oppose of learning the lessons about slavery in the case of this girl.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by blackcube

No it is not. You are telling is great to call someone she is HALF-XYZ. What human mistakes had anything to do with the question? In my point of view your just saying "hey you all half-xyz" you are not 100% like the rest of us... it's just the complete oppose of learning the lessons about slavery.

I am sorry, I thought you were calling me half human, or something along those lines as an insult. Communication fail on both parts.

We still have a problem here though...

In my point of view your just saying "hey you all half-xyz" you are not 100% like the rest of us...

I am NOT 100% like you or anyone else. I am not your clone, you are not mine. So I am failing to see what your point is.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Any time Christophe Lemaitre is mentioned we are told he is the first white man to run under 10 seconds, why are you not outraged by this?

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by GaspardUlliel
I'm sorry, but I HAD to log into my account and reply to this topic because I feel as if some of you need a history lesson.

First of all, there is a difference between RACE and ETHNICITY. Please stop using it interchangeably, because they are not the same thing.

This girl's race maybe of a mixed origin. But because I'm not that good at classifying her just by her looks alone, I am going to put her under the "Negroid" race. That's her race for the people who think African-American is a race, in which it isn't. It's an ethnicity. Race =/= Ethnicity. Now, there are only a limited number of "races" within the social construction of humanity, while there are THOUSANDS of ethnicities in the world (with more being created everyday). Back to "races" as here they are listed:

Caucasoid
Negroid
Mongoloid
Uncertain (These are the Dravidian people and Sinhalese people)

There are subcategories within these "races" and people can be of mixed race origin.

Now, back to ethnicity, specifically the African-American one.
Now, you can be of mixed race and be a part of this ethnicity. For example, let's look at the singer and actress Lena Horne:

www.thecubiclechick.com...

Now it is VERY obvious that this woman has ancestry that is not just of the African origin. I know for a FACT, she has Native American and European origin, but she is classified (and I believe she classifies herself) as an African-American. That term doesn't mean that she isn't of mixed race. It's a term that someone has created to describe people who are the decedents of the West African slaves that were brought to the USA. (Personally I think it is very confusing terminology, but whatever.)

Now, I agree with the OP, that if this girl's ethnicity was to be stated for achieving the first of this competition, then other people's ethnicities should be announced too. To the people that argue that "well African-Americans were enslaved and were discriminated against...they deserve to be proud of how far they have come since then." I call bull and favoritism. Please, open a history book and learn that African-Americans weren't the only ethnicity in America to face such harsh circumstances. As I recall, the Irish and the Italians were very heavily discriminated against when they first came to America. The Natives Americans were the FIRST slaves that were picking cotton in the Southern part of America before they began shipping in slaves from Africa. And "colored" during the highly discriminatory age of the South, did NOT just mean "African-Americans", "Negro" or "black". It meant ANYONE of any ethnicity that wasn't "European-American", "Caucasian", or "white". That means the Japanese, Chinese, Native Americans, Mexicans that lived in the South (and there were people of the origin that lived there) had to drink from the SAME fountain that African-Americans drunk from. They had to sit in the back of the bus and they were called "tight-eyes" or "wetbacks" or "redskins" just like how the African-Americans were called the "n"- word.

Every ethnicity in the USA has been through hardships not just the "African-Americans". So, to somehow put forth the girl's ethnicity as being the first of her people to achieve such a goal, is silly, if they don't do it for others.

"So to somehow put forth the girls' ethnicity as being the first of her people to achieve such a goal, is silly, if they don't do it for others."

Couldn't have said it better myself.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Wow... the sympathisers in this thread are getting dangerously close to "racism denial".

There are echoes of classic arguments from real self-proclaimed racists in this thread (Prussian Blue in their most popular racism stage comes to mind), which was one of my fears when this thread was created, and why I disagree with the OP's premise and don't see a problem when the media puts African American in a favorable light. I come to this association because of similar comments that are made by racists such as "I don't care that they're black, i just don't see why they get special treatment".

Those saying that slavery was hundreds of years ago, or that oppression/oppressor may have been experienced by great great...etc... grandparents aren't in touch with the real racial issues still, to this day, facing the US.

Anyone who is thinking this way should read this blog... as a start; a self-proclaimed racist doing his best to reprogram his racist up-bringing. Legacy: The Blog

This thread has shown, quite distinctly to me, that society as a whole is a long way from complete racial integration, and as such, we should be reminded as a society, regularly, the roots, causes and events of some of that racism.

Anyone saying to get over it is not taking into account that there are many people still alive who experienced that oppression directly... it is not some "ancient history" event for them, and the effects of that oppression are still very apparent in many sub-groups of society, with a carry on effect to their children and grandchildren. Seems we still need a few more generations before this becomes a moot point.

Until that time, it is still the onus of society to take some responsibility for past atrocities, and acknowledge that things still aren't equal, providing avenues to combat the residual effects of that oppression.

Denial of a persons race or ethnicity, for any reason, seems to me to be a racist attitude. Celebrating all aspects of a persons identity (gender, age, nationality, race, ethnicity, achievements, etc.) as a whole, not denying any part of their character seems much more tolerant and forward thinking than trying to remove the race issue from all commentary.

Everyone contributing to this thread should take the Harvard Implicit Association Test (IAT) to see where their unconscious prejudices may lie.

According to the test.. I am not racist, in fact I seem to lean very far towards a view of equality.

Good luck all!
Cheers
edit on 4-8-2012 by puzzlesphere because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by AutOmatIc

Originally posted by GaspardUlliel
I'm sorry, but I HAD to log into my account and reply to this topic because I feel as if some of you need a history lesson.

First of all, there is a difference between RACE and ETHNICITY. Please stop using it interchangeably, because they are not the same thing.

This girl's race maybe of a mixed origin. But because I'm not that good at classifying her just by her looks alone, I am going to put her under the "Negroid" race. That's her race for the people who think African-American is a race, in which it isn't. It's an ethnicity. Race =/= Ethnicity. Now, there are only a limited number of "races" within the social construction of humanity, while there are THOUSANDS of ethnicities in the world (with more being created everyday). Back to "races" as here they are listed:

Caucasoid
Negroid
Mongoloid
Uncertain (These are the Dravidian people and Sinhalese people)

There are subcategories within these "races" and people can be of mixed race origin.

Now, back to ethnicity, specifically the African-American one.
Now, you can be of mixed race and be a part of this ethnicity. For example, let's look at the singer and actress Lena Horne:

www.thecubiclechick.com...

Now it is VERY obvious that this woman has ancestry that is not just of the African origin. I know for a FACT, she has Native American and European origin, but she is classified (and I believe she classifies herself) as an African-American. That term doesn't mean that she isn't of mixed race. It's a term that someone has created to describe people who are the decedents of the West African slaves that were brought to the USA. (Personally I think it is very confusing terminology, but whatever.)

Now, I agree with the OP, that if this girl's ethnicity was to be stated for achieving the first of this competition, then other people's ethnicities should be announced too. To the people that argue that "well African-Americans were enslaved and were discriminated against...they deserve to be proud of how far they have come since then." I call bull and favoritism. Please, open a history book and learn that African-Americans weren't the only ethnicity in America to face such harsh circumstances. As I recall, the Irish and the Italians were very heavily discriminated against when they first came to America. The Natives Americans were the FIRST slaves that were picking cotton in the Southern part of America before they began shipping in slaves from Africa. And "colored" during the highly discriminatory age of the South, did NOT just mean "African-Americans", "Negro" or "black". It meant ANYONE of any ethnicity that wasn't "European-American", "Caucasian", or "white". That means the Japanese, Chinese, Native Americans, Mexicans that lived in the South (and there were people of the origin that lived there) had to drink from the SAME fountain that African-Americans drunk from. They had to sit in the back of the bus and they were called "tight-eyes" or "wetbacks" or "redskins" just like how the African-Americans were called the "n"- word.

Every ethnicity in the USA has been through hardships not just the "African-Americans". So, to somehow put forth the girl's ethnicity as being the first of her people to achieve such a goal, is silly, if they don't do it for others.

"So to somehow put forth the girls' ethnicity as being the first of her people to achieve such a goal, is silly, if they don't do it for others."

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Exactly.

WE as Americans been through all kinds of hard times.

We are AMERICANS.

That's why it pisses me off.

I don't care if you are black, white, brown.

This girl won it for her, for America, for US god damn it.

We are supposed to be UNITED.

Not this African BS.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by puzzlesphere
Wow... the sympathisers in this thread are getting dangerously close to "racism denial".

There are echoes of classic arguments from real self-proclaimed racists in this thread (Prussian Blue in their most popular racism stage comes to mind), which was one of my fears when this thread was created, and why I disagree with the OP's premise and don't see a problem when the media puts African American in a favorable light. I come to this association because of similar comments that are made by racists such as "I don't care that they're black, i just don't see why they get special treatment".

I don't watch the Olympics because I don't really care for it, but have other ethnicities that have been first place (gold medal) for the first time been recognized as much as this girl has?

Denial of a persons race or ethnicity, for any reason, seems to me to be a racist attitude. Celebrating all aspects of a persons identity (gender, age, nationality, race, ethnicity, achievements, etc.) as a whole, not denying any part of their character seems much more tolerant and forward thinking than trying to remove the race issue from all commentary.

What if a person choses not to consider themselves any racial or ethnic category, do you believe that this person has "self-hatred" issues?

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by GaspardUlliel

I don't watch the Olympics because I don't really care for it, but have other ethnicities that have been first place (gold medal) for the first time been recognized as much as this girl has?

Yes.

What if a person choses not to consider themselves any racial or ethnic category, do you believe that this person has "self-hatred" issues?

No.

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join