It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldiers fill empty Olympic VIP seats as storm grows

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
The stands are never full at the start of the games. this is because most of the sports every one is interested in start at a later date. and im also guessing that as the games go on the athletes that have already finished their sports will also want to be able to watch.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by capone1

For the people that paid for the tickets, they are turning up and filling that part of the allocation. It's the "free" seats that were given as perks to the IOC and competitors that aren't being used.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by capone1

Originally posted by FoxStriker
It's no longer about who is the best in the world when the Olympics come around.

Its about rules, regulations and trying to please everyone (you end up pleasing no one). Political correctness and Media interference has destroyed what should be the holy grail of competition.

YYYAAWWWWNNNNNNN....

edit on 30-7-2012 by capone1 because: (no reason given)

Does that yawn mean you agree the games are a yawner, or that you disagree and are bored with his post?

I agree 100% that the reason the games are unpopular, is because we're not seeing real competition, we're seeing politically correct, polished, staged competition.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
If your only intent is to post on how bad someone's posts are, I recommend going elsewhere

Semper

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Looks like they were kissing too many asses then. When I was watching the other night it looked like the majority of the stadium was emptied.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I think it's funny that people are stating that the soldiers were "ordered" to fill the seats.

The organizing committee said Sunday it was addressing the issue partly by offering empty seats in accredited areas to soldiers who had finished their security shifts, but remained on the grounds.

"If they want to sit there and watch, they can," said Sebastian Coe, chairman of the organizing committee. "It's not mobilizing the army to solve this."

Offering seats to soldiers that have finished their shifts hardly sounds like an order.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Empty seats?

On TV, I caught more than a couple of men's soccer competitions (Senegal v. Uruguay?) (GB v. UAE?] and there were definitely not empty seats!

Perhaps there are too many events widespread over too limited amount of time as a possible explanation. Plus there are always going to be more popular v. less popular sports depending on host country and people willing to travel.

When I see crowds drop in events like men's football, then I will buy into something more suspect going on.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

When was this?

I've been watching quite a bit of it and the only empty seats I am seeing are the "premium" IOC seats. All the "normal", great unwashed seats are filled for most events, such as swimming for example and people have been turning out in droves to watch the cycling.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qumulys

People just can't afford these days to take days off work any more (regular joe blow), let alone fly to London to sit around next to noisy sweaty peoples, pay $30 for an ice-cream for the kids, and barely see anything. Seem's so much bother when a 50" in the lounge with 3D has it all, hi-def, surround sound, ass close-ups in slow-mo (wife whacking hubby on back of head for oggling too long etc.).

edit on 30-7-2012 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

Spot on! Nothing compares to the majesty of a slow-mo, close-up, HD, flying cameltoe of a barely legal Lithuanian girl as she's relieved of her dignity by a worldwide audience of lecherous perverts, staring fixedly at her crotch whilst she strives to push the boundaries of human achievement and capability..... There's nothing like cheapening the culmination of a lifetimes hard work and dedication by reducing her to a Lycra-clad, revolving super-vagina.... Thank the lord for live pause....

Also, you're totally right about the cost, it's ridiculous....

edit on 30-7-2012 by Milkflavour because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-7-2012 by Milkflavour because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
No one really cares about the Olympics unless it's their country who are winning the majority of the medals or there is one of the more interesting events taking place. There is always a major hype around the Olympics and as someone has already pointed out the games have a long tradition of not being able to fill every seat in the house. I think it's brilliant of the organisers to allow military to take the free seats.
edit on 30-7-2012 by ProfessorT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
We should be sending out tickets to sports and youth clubs in the region. There's no excuse for empty seats when its the summer holidays with families looking for something to do. It's meant to be about "inspiring a generation", but if you don't allow that generation access to cheap tickets whats the point? If the sponsors don't want their tickets I'm sure there are thousands of the next generation who would love them.
edit on 30-7-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Here's my ATS theory.

There was a huge lack of interest in the games. To make the seats more sought after, they said they were selling out fast.

People will buy anything if they think it's scarce. It probably increased sales but not enough to fill empty seats.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
We should be sending out tickets to sports and youth clubs in the region. There's no excuse for empty seats when its the summer holidays with families looking for something to do. It's meant to be about "inspiring a generation", but if you don't allow that generation access to cheap tickets whats the point? If the sponsors don't want their tickets I'm sure there are thousands of the next generation who would love them.
edit on 30-7-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

As much as I agree with you lets be honest, most kids are more interested in playing on their games consoles than watching weightlifting or swimming. Of course, there will be a group of young people who will enjoy watching those types of things. Perhaps what the organisers should do is send tickets out targeting those specific events. You won't see Sunday cricketers, footballers or rugby players going - the games just aren't that appealing.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
For what it's worth, when South Africa hosted the recent soccer world cup, the local media and government made allocations to reserve a massive amount of seats. In some instances up to 15 or so seats per member.
Now obviously when the time came, all the seats weren't taken and this resulted in a large amount of empty seats (before they retracted the reserved tickets and sold them to the public)

Just pointing out that a similar situation might be present at these games.
Personally, I feel they should reinstate croquet as an Olympic sport. That would solve attendance in no time

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
If your only intent is to post on how bad someone's posts are, I recommend going elsewhere

Semper

well said semperfortis well said

just thought I would mention that Lord Coe was caught on camera jumping seats to get a better view of the boxing lol
no link though just seen it on sky news

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
The Olympic Games only exists today in order to advertise and sell McDonald's, Coca-Cola, and a hundred other corporate sponsors...

It's a sham.

In my opinion, the Games should be a much smaller affair, sponsored appropriately, and only open to amateur athletes.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
The Olympic Games only exists today in order to advertise and sell McDonald's, Coca-Cola, and a hundred other corporate sponsors...

It's a sham.

In my opinion, the Games should be a much smaller affair, sponsored appropriately, and only open to amateur athletes.

Only amateur athletes? Haha, I don't want to watch replacements, I wanna see the best in the world, which is what the olympics bring. Say what you want about corporate sponsors, but without the greatest athletes, the olympics would barely be televised and/or covered.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by capone1

Technically, the Games are supposed to be "amateurs"... The "amateurs" however can get quite nice grants and sponsorships so they don't have to work, but many are amateurs.

The word amateur shouldn't be taken to mean second best. It merely denotes they don't make a living out of it, but an amateur anything can be as good as any professional.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Seeing just a few soldiers is hardly worth taking a picture or mentioning.

I heard this on the radio news early this am and thought they filled the seats with military fill ins...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join