It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians... riddle me this!

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

I did not require a language lesson. So your explanation was not requied.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Since I have already completed step one why don't you do the same?

I have presented in what context I read the bible in, now apply the point of considering my interpretation before you dismiss it.

You stated earlier that you are not trying to understand what I mean, which means you have not considered it which means you have not completed the first step yourself. You're being a hypocrite without even realizing it.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Yet you're using the same logic to support your belief.

Thank you, I needed a good laugh.

Um, NO :shk:. You're trying to argue that the faith with the largest amount of people is the broad path to hell. I'm sorry but thats wrong and that is not what Jesus of Nazareth was talking about and you're stuffing words in his mouth. He is the path, the truth, the way and the life. Not Muhammad, not Buddha, not Mahatma Ghandi, not Confuscious, not Zoroaster, not Billy Badass down the street with an acute case of narcicism. Only Messiah is the way. The people on the broad path are the ones who refuse to accept that truth and make up their own truth so they can feel good about what they do.

No more pearls for you. If you don't understand it by now, you're never going to.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

You cannot separate yourself from this moment, it is one, it is complete. It is all there is.

Religion tells everyone they are bad until they learn to be good. 'Be good' is the religion most believe. 'Be good' means there must be bad and i don't want to be that. Believing that you are bad is judging yourself, if you judge, thou shall be judged. Unconditional love starts with you. To be looking to be better means you deny what is real, you deny God.

Yeah, I get it. You seem to be missing others' points, though, in your effort to present the Tao "enlightenment" that all we have is this moment and our perception of it. Everything is, it is neither good nor bad. I know I'm where I'm meant to be, that everything is just right, and that this fleeting awareness is "all." I get it. I've been in the light.

I'm not religious, but I am able to recognize when I've made mistakes in my treatment of others. Part of the task is to realize we are all connected, and interdependent.

The enlightened feeling of "total awareness" that you speak of is always fleeting. One can repeat the words over and over in an effort to explain it to others, but if you've actually felt it, you know it, and there's no disputing it. Still, in our fleshly machines, we can't hang onto that perfect, all-clear awareness every moment of the day. We can try, but we still are not immune to pain. Living the Tao means letting pain wash through you, facing the inescapable emotions, and remembering to breathe. Paying attention to the moment, knowing that what is uncomfortable or joyous will pass because we are here and now living in a linear illusion.

I think more of us get what you're talking about than you realize, and I don't see anyone trying to argue with you. I don't think I'm "bad", I realize I have things to learn. That is the purpose of life. To learn about what it is to be a human being, to rise above it.

Still, there are many, many people -- especially those with Occidental backgrounds -- who are begging every day for their "rapture", rather than embracing every moment for what it is and seeing the Divine Perfection of it all, riding along with it, experiencing it, and then letting it go. They are fighting it, and hating it, and yes, you are right, therefore missing what is real and beautiful about it all.

Namaste

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

I think what he meant by "have a good laugh at you" is not you as a person Wild, but a good laugh at the character assumption you articulated about Adj. Since you've graced us with your membership Adj has been away for a while, he was formerly a regular and I can assure you, I've had my goes around with him in the public arena and privately via u2u's. But we still love each other as brothers would, and in essence we are, although we don't see eye to eye on many things we share common principles.

If you need someone to talk to you know where to reach me. I still care about you even if we fight at the dinner table in front of the kids sometimes.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

If you need someone to talk to you know where to reach me. I still care about you even if we fight at the dinner table in front of the kids sometimes.

Thanks. Same back to you. I feel safe arguing with you, NuT, you know that, and I believe we have reached a mutual understanding, even while we disagree on some things.

I'm asking MrJensen to recognize the validity of what I have to say, and I am willing to give validity to him in return. If you feel I should consult you or you have some more insight regarding the tension, feel free to send it to me. I wasn't feeling the need to ask for support this morning, but sometimes I do, and those who I consult know who they are.

Peace

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

I did not require a language lesson. So your explanation was not requied.

If you don't understand the significance of the definite article "the" in koine Greek you certainly need a language lesson if you're going to comment on a piece of literature written in koine Greek. What you're basically saying if we were talking about Physics is you don't need to know common arithmetic. It's a fundamental piece of knowledge.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

Thanks. Same back to you. I feel safe arguing with you, NuT, you know that, and I believe we have reached a mutual understanding, even while we disagree on some things.

I'm asking MrJensen to recognize the validity of what I have to say, and I am willing to give validity to him in return. If you feel I should consult you or you have some more insight regarding the tension, feel free to send it to me. I wasn't feeling the need to ask for support this morning, but sometimes I do, and those who I consult know who they are.

Peace

Thanks Wild.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Thanks Wild

You're welcome. Watch it with the "graced us with your membership," though, eh? You know I get sensitive....and don't call me "Lady." Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

edit on 29-7-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

The awareness is not fleeting, the awareness is constantly present, it is the one constant. The movie (existence) is moving, changing and infinetely diverse. Awareness is what you are. You are aware of a body, you are aware of thoughts (mind). All that is 'known' is existence but you are the 'knower' of existence. The knower is silent and still, pure peace - and when you find yourself as the knower you can watch it all happen with 'the father' - from source.

edit on 29-7-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

You eat from the tree of knowledge. I eat from the tree of life.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
You know, as someone who has read through this thread and really only been involved in a very superficial way, as an outsider perhaps, it strikes me as rather peculiar.... It seems as though you're all arguing semantics... I don't mean to be disrespectful or to imply that anything that has been said doesn't have a measure of validity but.... It strikes me that you are all arguing the same fundamental points and principles... It is clear to me that, at the centre of all of your belief systems (and mine, as I have my own personal set of values and beliefs) there is a desire to appreciate the world, to be respectful and caring towards your fellow man, to try to live in a way that doesn't cause harm to others, to grow and learn and to be mindful, open to others and to love..... We all share the same fundamental principles, the only difference is the system or philosophy we ascribe to, to help us implement them and to make sense of the world.... This is what leads to conflict, who's way is the right way, who's perception is most accurate.... When really, none of that matters at all, if we all fundamentally believe in the same principles then the rest is just window dressing (I don't mean to reduce anyone's belief to simple window dressing in the sense that it is unimportant to the individual as, clearly, it is... I mean it in a broad sense).

Who cares whether you believe jesus said he was THE way or A way or whether Jesus had six wheels and wore a tutu? It really only matters that we share common principles of respect, understanding, love, decency etc....

I don't want to get into a big debate about this, it's just my opinion for what it's worth...
edit on 29-7-2012 by Milkflavour because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Milkflavour

I did a lecture on laughter and it's healing properties about two years ago, it really IS the best medicine

I'd like to hear more about that.
I did a lecture on brain development and how to best "spark" the neurons in a baby's brain, and also discussed the biological/behavioral aspects of human adolescence. We could compare notes.

I admire the younger adults who have reached the next level, and have been able to turn their backs on rote dogma, to open their minds and see past the establishment's agenda. I did a fair job teaching my own kids critical thinking, and we did LOTS of laughing (still do)...

Anyway, thanks for your contributions to the betterment of humanity.

EDIT: And this you said:

Who cares whether you believe jesus said he was THE way or A way or whether Jesus had six wheels and wore a tutu? It really only matters that we share common principles of respect, understanding, love, decency etc....

I don't want to get into a big debate about this, it's just my opinion for what it's worth...

Right on, sibling....it's worth a lot. Yeah, got another chuckle out of that one. I'ma go with the tutu and 6 wheels.

edit on 29-7-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

I do understand what you mean, you're saying there ate only two paths to choose from, Christ or no Christ. You are lumping the vastly different paths of Islam and Hinduism into one path while leaving Christ by himself. That is illogical because the paths to Hinduism and Islam are not the same path so they cannot be considered to be the same lump. Are you understanding or do you stillhave your blinders on?

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Since I have already completed step one why don't you do the same?

I have presented in what context I read the bible in, now apply the point of considering my interpretation before you dismiss it.

You stated earlier that you are not trying to understand what I mean, which means you have not considered it which means you have not completed the first step yourself. You're being a hypocrite without even realizing it.

How am I a "hypocrite" for not applying rule #1 of Biblical hermeneutics to your postings? You arent a Bible. And the context of Christ's statement is that He is the Way, not Christianity. He said "I am the way, the truth, and the life."

So therefore the context is that Christ has already identified Himself as the way and His subsequent statements need to be understood in that context.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

The awareness is not fleeting, the awareness is constantly present, it is the one constant.

sigh.
Yeah, I get it, like I said. I also said the sense of perfect enlightenment -- obtained during meditation and 'connection' with all that is real and perfect -- is fleeting. With practice (lots of practice), I've been able to incorporate the concept into my daily life. I wasn't talking about awareness.

But thanks for the clarification. I'm all for mindfulness and awareness in the present moment. I do get it, whether you want to accept that or not, though, is up to you.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

So you ignoring what I am saying is you saying you refuse to consider my interpretation? At least have the decency to acknowledged what I have said.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I am not questioning you.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

I am not questioning you.

Okay, then, fair enough. You seem to be "challenging" or "correcting" me, but, as has been established very well in this thread, I may be imagining that.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

So me interpreting what the bible says is not a form of hermeneutics? Since you refuse to even consider my interpretation of the bible, you refuse to apply step one yourself.

My interpretation is that Jesus is a metaphor for the sun, the sun (any star for that matter) is the only way into heaven, because without stars life would not exist.

Now consider my interpretation of what he means when he says that. Don't lie to yourself about considering it either.

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join