It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians... riddle me this!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
For years i've been hearing christians say "we go to heaven to be with Jesus"... That is the untimate goal...To be with him for eternity. Now im not making fun here... I seriously want to know what you think...

Stars for all serious replies... no trolls...

What i want to know is... what next? Do we just sit around smiling...."yay we made it!"

Once you're with Jesus, what will you do together?

What is there to do in heaven with Jesus once you get there?

Is it like a huge meditation session?

More praying?

Golf?

Beers?

What do you think?

edit on 25-7-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

you ever seen willy wonka?
i imagine it something like that
heaven is ANOTHER test and if you prove yourself he will give you control of the kingdom of heaven so your kindness and creativity can bring smiles to children around the world

and if you fail you get kicked out
(but at least you get a cool little song)

edit on 25-7-2012 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I don't know, if Christianity is true.

I suppose an eternity exploring all of Gods creation could tide me over for some time...

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Riddle me this? What? Are you like 13 years old and reading batman comics.
What is in your head to say "riddle me this" as a question to other adults.

Do you expect a serious answer to a childish question like that.
You dont think that patronising smug arrogant attitude is going to make people think you are a...well whatever they may wish to think of you.

Yeah we toast marshmallows and drink hot chocolate.
Childish answer suits a childish question.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by borntowatch

That works too! I love hot chocolate!

As long as theres beer...

Why so serious?

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
There are a lot of good books on the subject. One of my favorites is written by Rebecca Springer:

"She explains how Heaven's inhabitants are frequently engaged in missions or tasks that are an extension of God's callings and gifting in their earth-life."

Because the book was written in 1898, it can be read online for free here.

"Within the Gates" (formerly titled "Intra Muros"), which was originally published in 1898, is based on the 19th century vision of heaven by Rebecca Springer (1832-1904).

"Within the Gates" (formerly titled "Intra Muros" after the Latin for the same phrase and originally published in 1895) is the remarkable account of author Rebecca Springer's experience of being taken to Heaven in her spirit while her body lay dying and unconscious for several weeks. This is an excellent book to give to grieving family members.

The copyright has long since expired and the PDF can be found here and here

Amazon Review:

"Within the Gates" (formerly titled "Intra Muros" after the Latin for the same phrase and originally published in 1895) is the remarkable account of author Rebecca Springer's experience of being taken to Heaven in her spirit while her body lay dying and unconscious for several weeks.

Springer recounts in vivid detail the things which she saw, heard and tasted in Heaven. She also talks of family and loved ones with whom she was immediately reunited with. She describes meeting Jesus (the Master) for the first time and His incredible love for all of Heaven's inhabitants, as well as His concern for those still on Earth. She describes the heavenly mansions and dwelling places and the way that nothing in Heaven is impure or corrupt. "Not an atom of debris, nor even dust, was visible anywhere," she describes.

She explains how Heaven's inhabitants are frequently engaged in missions or tasks that are an extension of God's callings and gifting in their earth-life. She recounts how artists, musicians, authors and speakers all practice their skills regularly, honing them to perfection with the goal of continuing to use them for God's honor throughout eternity. She even describes her experience of corporate worship at a heavenly temple, and recalling how there were no churches or denominations in Heaven, just one faith for all.

Jackie M. Sthilaire

During a very severe illness, Rebecca found herself alone with no one at her side and needing comfort turned to Jesus. Jesus was at her side and led her to the "promised land" where she was taken to visit relatives and friends who had passed over.

Her description of several "mansions" that have been prepared for the newly departed is very comforting and one realizes that we are just a "heartbeat" away from the other side.

The "refreshing water" from the lake where one is renewed and refreshed after passing over is very illuminating.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I've often thought that. What exactly is the Kingdom of God like? Is it just another society where all the 'saved' go to hang out with Jesus? Is it super futuristic looking like Asgard in Thor, or is it still looking like old Jerusalem? I'm not a Christian, however I do believe there's something more after life. I'm hoping that our "souls" ascend to a higher dimension where we continue living at a higher form of consciousness, or some type of hyperdimensional something another.

Although, I have shared a beer with A Jesus once. Nice guy, haven't talked to him in a while.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
The bible doesn't really say what the next step is, so no Christian can ever give you a 100% correct answer. Only theories.
Personally, if it was just hanging out with family and friends for all eternity, I'd get bored after about 50 years. I'm only 30 and life on Earth is already starting to bore me.
I can only assume everyone floats in a circle around the Galactic center singing "Kumbaya" while roasting holy marshmallows...

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I give up...

Seriously, as a life-long Christian I have to admit that I truly don't know either. I know what I've read, and been told. I'm not breaking out the "Book" tonight, but maybe tomorrow as the thread progresses. Stimulating question...

So where's jhill when you need him? I really like his posts. There are other members posts I follow as well. Kinda miss that IAM fellow too. His replies were patient and peace-loving. What a guy...

Time to break out the troll food. Oh, here's a can now...

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I assume spending eternity, in a perfect mind, devoid of all the evils, that Earth had to offer.
Or helping Jesus, Destroy the other "Satans", that inhabit other Worlds........

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Jokes aside, I can offer real OBE experience.

Outside of these bodies, we exist. We are aware of our surroundings, and we accept the abnormalities of what we see around us as normal.

Colors, shapes, entities, all seem normal and in their place. Walls are transparent at will, floors, roofs, rocks, buildings, transparent at will, or solid if you concentrate.

Jesus and Heaven... I think that's an idealistic perspective.
We are energy. Bodies are energy vibrating at a certain frequency. When those bodies die, "we" see reality unfiltered... which IS Heaven in comparison to things like the USA and TV reality shows.

edit on 25-7-2012 by JibbyJedi because: tyops

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Excellent question! Think of your happiest, most blissful moment on earth, in this life. That is heaven. Think of the most gutwrenching horrible day of loss you have ever experienced on earth, in this life. That is hell. Heaven and hell are metaphors for life. We are living both, right now. So live. Let what happens after happen. I beg you not ask religious people for answers of the afterlife, as long as they are alive. They don't
know.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

First, you need to clarify your question. It is not so simple to say "we go to heaven to be with Jesus".
You are getting into an area called dispensation theology, where there are several branches and not all Christians agree on which branch. AMillennial, PreMillennial, PostMillenial...and there are subsets of belief systems in many of these.

Some Christians believe we go to heaven as soon as we die. Others believe that we go to heaven at the 2nd Coming of Christ. Others believe we go to heaven after the Last Judgement. There are even some Christians that believe that EVERYONE eventually goes to heaven...yep, including the atheists, the buddhists, the hindus, etc. and perhaps Satan himself.

Most Christians, including myself, really don't know what heaven looks like. There are a couple of glimpses in Revelations but not enough detail to make sound theology from. The book of Enoch provides further descriptions, but many Christians do not accept the book of Enoch as authoritative. Even using the book of Enoch, not much detail is provided for the day to day operations. Not to mention that the heaven that Enoch saw was one that existed before Christ and the Resurrection....which may have changed somewhat due to Christ...as it will change at the 2nd Coming and perhaps change again somewhat after the Last Judgement

There are some Christians that have near death experiences and claim to have seen heaven. But even they could not tell you the day to day activities there.

If you can get someone that has died and been to heaven for some extended period of time to answer you, you might get some worthwhile answers. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

One thing I believe Christians miss, is that the Bible is not a history book. It's only main subject is Jesus and our human existence in this dispensation. I personally don't believe that Adam & Eve were the first people on this earth. They were however, the first of the bloodline to Jesus. But that is a discussion for another time.
edit on 25-7-2012 by dirkpotters because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-7-2012 by dirkpotters because: edited for clarification

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
On the flip side I don’t see what is so wrong with ‘Hell’ if your there for all eternity (whatever that means)

You would certainly get used to it I think, after a few hundred years of course…….

Devil: Another beating sir?
Me: Sure, why not, can you use the boards with nails in it this time?

Devil: I’m going to cut off your willy again today!
Me: Well, OK, but it came off too easily last time – perhaps try the blunt & rusty saw?

Devil: For the next year I will be playing only Justin Beiber songs back to back!
Me: Noooooooooooo! That’s just too cruel, get me out of here! I’m repenting, I’m repenting!

Back to your question OP, I would hate to sit around ‘for ever’ with all the boring religious people; I would really go postal after a week of patting each other on the back…..

Or, perhaps it’s like filling a room full of down syndrome children, there will obviously be a lot of hugging?

No, I really don’t want to go there….. so I am so glad it’s just a fairy tale.

Mickierocksman

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
For anyone SERIOUSLY interested in what Heaven is really like, this man spent 5 days there.

After he came back the Pope heard that he had spoken to Jesus' mother while he was there so he flew Dr. Collett to the Vatican to talk to him about what he saw. He also saw JFK while he was there.

Dr. Percy Collet prayed for 7 1/2 years to see heaven. He was a missionary to the Amazon jungle when God honored his request and took him to heaven for 5 and 1/2 days. Collett and 250 Indians and missionaries prayed for eight days to God to show them Heaven. On the 9th day everyone saw angels in the sky and on the 10th they were all "struck down by the glory of God". Then: "My soul came out of my body. Your soul is God's intelligence in you."

As my soul had left my body and my soul looked down at my own body, my guardian Angel, who had been with me for so many years, said to me: "We are going to take the Journey. I have not been in Heaven since you were born and at the time I appeared to you in Edgehill." My soul and the Angel stood there in expectation as everyone else was still lying on their backs under the power of THE LIVING GOD. We were the only ones standing.

An eight foot angel with a flaming sword took Percy's soul on a six hour journey through space to a great planet called Heaven. "It's over two trillion miles away. We passed two light years in one hour." After passing the sun at millions of miles a minute, we came to another sun and another solar system and planets all around it. Heaven is a real planet 80 times bigger than the earth and 2,000,000 miles around. LINK

Here are some links for anyone who wants to read about this:

YouTube Video (audio only meat & potatoes only - edited to 3 hours)

5 1/2 Days in Heaven..Part 1

5 1/2 Days in Heaven..Part 2

I walked in Heaven with Jesus (PDF only)

Percy Collett MP3s and Book

edit on 7-7-2012 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Dear Akragon,

You get a star just for being you. I will take it on faith that you believe me to be a Christian; but, others may not know so I state it to be fair. Heaven is the answer to eternity. The question is not so much about a place as a process. The issue with eternity is boredom, it is nothingness and is singularity or eternal solitary confinement if you will. The question is how any being could be satisfied for eternity. For me, I believe the answer to be eternal growth which is why I believe humans are born imperfect.

We live in an expanding universe. I see it as symbolic of human nature. The universe can forever expand, God is all that is and therefore he is the universe (as that is what the word means, all that is). The universe is not all that can be, we know this as we see new things being made from what is, new combinations that man has a say in, some good and some bad. The universe is bigger and has more new combinations of things in it than it did when you were born, therefore, the universe is more than it was when you were born. Does that suggest that God may continually grow? I think it does. I know you know that I am not going to give you the non-thinking, "I was taught" answer.

If God continually grows then it leaves us, parts of him, not him, his creations with our own free will, to continually grow. God is all that is, that is the definition of the universe; but, he created a universe that grows which therefore must also be him. Growth of the soul is a product of choices, of choices that have consequences. That is the purpose of life, in my humble opinion, the purpose of life is to sufficiently define ourselves in order to stand before the Lord and present ourselves. If we are selfish and only care about ourselves than that is the heaven we get. A place where we are all that is. We choose hell, we choose to be apart from God and others.

Thank you for the question. I hope you liked my answer. In either case. Peace my dear friend.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
ok joking aside
heaven is supposed to be a metaphor for oneness with god
and hell is supposed to be a metaphor for separation from god and his love

so along that line of thought you could assume you would become one with the universe or alternatively if youre a bad naughty person (something that does not function to help all things progress) your data is erased and gone forever

so essentially in "heaven" you become part of the universal consciousness and become something i dont think any of us could begin to comprehend

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Mickierocksman

I am one of those "Christians" that does not believe in a literal hell. In the Old Testament, most words translated as "hell" actually means "grave". In the New Testament there is the field of broken pottery, the grave, and the one I have yet to contend with is "Hades". Perhaps inserted for the Greeks to understand the concept only.

There is however, the Lake of Fire. A place where those that are judged by there works are thrown into, and referred to as "the second death". First comes the death of the body, and if you don't make it, the death of the spirit/soul. I believe that "wailing and gnashing of teeth" described there is for a split second as those that are judged to death realize their death is coming. But I cannot conceive of a truly merciful God that would create a place of prolonged everlasting torture. Just understand that I am not talking about flesh and blood, but instead spirit and soul.

I could be wrong on this one though. There have been reports of visions of hell by near death experiences, and they are pretty scary. I pray that these visions are used only to scare the hell of some people...pun intended...and are not real.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

I was basically raised Roman Catholic. Went to Catholic grade school and high school.
After reading the Bible, I would say I left Catholicism.
I know that in the Vatican 2 Council, they cancelled Limbo.

With something like what you posted...has Purgatory been cancelled also?

Just curious

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
What i want to know is... what next? Do we just sit around smiling...."yay we made it!"

What do you think?

I am christian. In my opinion, those who finally join Jesus in Heaven will be in a much higher level of conscience and free of corruption. It will be like going back home, because we were there at the beginning.

We don't know what is going to happen next to that, seems like that's when the Bible ends and we go to the "Next Book".

Note: I'm not sure if "Heaven" is another planet or another dimension. I'm sure "Heaven" is not only for people from Earth.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join