It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. Commission Calls for Legalizing Prostitution Worldwide

page: 29
<< 26  27  28   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
opps

edit on 31-7-2012 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

As I have previously stated in this thread, here in the UK it is legal for a person to sell themselves for sex, and it is legal to buy sex. However, kerb crawling and soliciting are illegal, as is the running of brothels and any form of pimping. This, to me, is sufficient, or really as far as it should go. It allows those working in prostitution to seek legal recourse if they are in any way mistreated, and it permits clients to do likewise.

Additionally, as a means of addressing Sex Trafficking, the Sexual Offences Act has been amended...

Section 53A of the Sexual Offences Act 2003 creates the offence of "paying for sexual services of a prostitute subjected to force etc", which is a strict liability offence (clients can be prosecuted even if they didn’t know the prostitute was forced).[3] This section was inserted on 1 April 2010[4] by section 14 of the Policing and Crime Act 2009.

en.wikipedia.org...

This law was put into force in April 2010, and in the first 13 months it resulted in 43 convictions.

www.whatdotheyknow.com...

It is believed, although some have accused the Police of exaggerating the problem, that at any one time, there are 4,000 victims of sex trafficking in the UK. Some of those are merely passing through. Despite prostitution being legal, it is estimated that of those operating illegally, 80% are made up of migrants, primarily of Asian origin.

The government has so far committed £5 million to tackling the problem of Sex trafficking, and the Police have launched a number of successful operations targeting sex traffickers. But it is a drop in the ocean. And of those liberated from forced prostitution, around 60% of those who do not meet the criteria required to recieve protection in a shelter subsequently disappear.

The government has set up a number of groups charged with addressing further legalisation, and those groups have visited the Netherlands, and concluded that expansion of legalisation is clearly not the answer. I agree.

If a man or woman chooses to prostitute themselves, and someone wishes to purchase that service, it can be done so legally. That is enough, and it is fair enough. Brothels simply open up the exploitation to be legitimised, and legalisation of brothels has been significantly shown to increase illegal activity elsewhere. A person should have the right to sell thier own body if they so choose, but no one should have the right to profit from that sale other than that person.

To me, Section 53a of the 2003 Sexual Offences Act in addition to those rights of the individual, are the best way of specifically targeting and preventing of sex trafficking, and it is that that the UN should be promoting if it is going to promote anything. Make the punter liable, and give them the incentive to seek a legal prostitute or run the risk of prosecution.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Biliverdin

There are estimated to be almost 3 million in the US, and I saw one estimate that said as many as 70,000 per year travel our 3 major interstates here in Florida, so we are passing by them day after day and don't even realize it.

This study was published from the University in my town.

And there are many groups dedicated to Stopping human trafficking.

At this point in time, prostitution is illegal in the vast majority of the US, and all of Florida, yet Florida is one of the top destinations in the world for human traffickers to operate. This is the reason I don't believe keeping it illegal is working, and I believe making it legal would improve the situation. We might hit some unexpected hiccups, but there just isn't any way the situation could get worse, it could only get better.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
At this point in time, prostitution is illegal in the vast majority of the US, and all of Florida, yet Florida is one of the top destinations in the world for human traffickers to operate. This is the reason I don't believe keeping it illegal is working, and I believe making it legal would improve the situation. We might hit some unexpected hiccups, but there just isn't any way the situation could get worse, it could only get better.

I really do think that the brothels should be resisted though. If the prostitutes are losing too much money to go-betweens, as well as having to meet regulatory expenses, that is as likely to push them back into the illegal trade as anything else. And then the whole system folds in on itself. Additionally, you have to be very sure that the regulatory system is above corruption, which is an extra financial burden in terms of regulation.

Personally, if I was the US, I would be more inclined to follow the UK model and simply legalise the individuals right to buy and sell sex. It isn't infallible, but it is making the in roads that you claim you want without lining the pockets of third parties.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
29 pages, don't have time to read all that, but the fact that this has garnered 29 pages, is wrong.

It's as if the UN is your government and you are debating it as if it were your own country's bill, coming up for a legislative vote. You, we, us, are in fact legitimizing world government by giving this any importance or merit.

Besides the fact, who cares. Legal, not legal, it's not gonna rock the world either way.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I can't think of any downsides that don't already exist? Legalizing it would shine a light on the subject, and roaches scatter in the light.

That is simplistic thinking for a complicated problem. Look if this was about drugs, and even then only some drugs, then yes I would say making that legal would eliminate more problems then it would create and eliminate a lot of current problems. But when it comes to prostitution your talking about a whole different thing, it's a whole nother story all together, the two can not even be compared in contrast really.

What I am saying is your wrong, it wont work like that, and it wont be nowhere near as streamlined and nice and dandy as you think it will be. As such you need to think again.

Can you name any downsides to legalizing it? We have supply and demand here. The demand won't change, the demand is already high. So, if the supply becomes more readily available, more transparent, more regulated, less seedy, then what are the downsides?

I can, but its been said all through out this thread before. I think they all have a point even if I think you have a point, your point is nowhere near as pointy as theirs. So ya, if people want to see things and get a clearer picture on things, then re read the whole thread and links, I think they speak for themselves.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee
29 pages, don't have time to read all that, but the fact that this has garnered 29 pages, is wrong.
It's as if the UN is your government and you are debating it as if it were your own country's bill, coming up for a legislative vote. You, we, us, are in fact legitimizing world government by giving this any importance or merit.

Agree however this is a discussion thread under the forums. Can we atleast discuss just to educate ourselves should the mandate or law be shoved down the throats of the system? Just in case? The way I see it, if there is a potential for tax revenue, many countries might opt and allow this to happen. It is legal in many countries which is a fact. At the least, we should be able to comfortably address concerns not just to ourselves and families but also to others in the future should it become necessary

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

17.MYTH: If you oppose legalization of prostitution, you’re saying that prostitutes should be arrested.
FACT: The abolitionist Swedish law, which is a model law, decriminalizes women in prostitution but arrests their predators: johns, pimps, and traffickers.

Simple demand side fact.

The only way to address it is demand side.

The demand is not primarily about sex, as you noted most people purchasing a prostitute's services have other sexual partners.

So what are people REALLY getting out of it?
edit on 2-8-2012 by SibylofErythrae because: punctuation.......I can use it properly.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by SibylofErythrae

Yes, truncation is a great way to stay alive and continue on as a specialized pet. Prostitution is a socialized form this truncation is taking on, and as with most of the forms of truncation it is a dead end. People breed themselves out.

Dang I am learning all kinds of new things,
truncation

I looked up truncation, I don't get it

I can give you some examples of truncation in domestic dogs compared to their wild ancestors/counterparts.

In the original species (and often in a re-wilded set of mutts over several generations) there are many instincts. Smelling, digging, den-making, howling, hunting, packing, etc.

In domestic dogs the varieties have truncated some instincts and increased focus on another instinct. All domestic dogs packing instincts have been truncated and infantilized to allow them to pack with non-dogs.

In a terrier, the digging instinct has been given focus while the howling, packings, den-making instincts have been truncated lessening their overall impact on the breed. You can particularly see this because a digging instinct in a wild dog is related to denning. The two instincts that have worked together have been cleaved and one highlighted and the other diminished.

Every breed has some form of truncation. Not all of them have a focused instinct as they would have originally when they were being domesticated for their useful traits.

edit on 1-8-2012 by SibylofErythrae because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by galadofwarthethird
reply to post by SibylofErythrae

I am familiar with all types of vampires and even energy vampire types, you need say nothing more. And I would not be so sure about specialization or the whole prostitute truncation breeding themselves out so much as you seem to think they will. After all its not like there a rare breed in the human species.
If anything I would say that if there is anybody or any type that may be breeding themselves out, it's the opposite types of what you purpose. Nice avatar by the way.

There is a constant supply of people who are willing to engage in prostitution. That's true. But their lines don't tend to extend for very long. The lifestyle involved isn't very good for continuation. The accumulation of problems, mostly psychological, tend to limit their long term prospects as a germ line.

That doesn't mean that there aren't others willing to do it too.

Like most things that exist in opposites, the opposite is also breeding itself out and is frankly WAY more common in Western cultures right now. It ain't a line, its a damn circle and the extremes meet.

And thank you for the compliment about my avie, oh eye-of-focused-intensity-avatar-dude.

new topics

top topics

<< 26  27  28   >>

join