It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. Commission Calls for Legalizing Prostitution Worldwide

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Not sure if this was posted already but ATS search didn't return matching subject results.Here we go again. This is a controversial topic which has been discussed on ATS before as well. Since when did drugs and sex were mutually dependant? There were drug users before and people soliciting/seeking sex too. How will this curb the HIV epidemic? Not all the countries have tough measures to streamline the checking and verification of legal prostitutes for the virus. Certainly I'm sure the pimps wouldn't be too crazy to pay the taxes for their services just the same way the prostitutes would. The underground economy is vast in many sections of the world where majority(not all including freelancers
) of them are controlled by the mafia.

A report issued by the United Nations-backed Global Commission on HIV and the Law; recommends that nations around the world get rid of “punitive” laws against prostitution – or what it calls “consensual sex work” -- and decriminalize the voluntary use of illegal injection drugs in order to combat the HIV epidemic

LINK

Your thoughts/opinions/viewpoints/comments.
edit on 24-7-2012 by hp1229 because: edit content

+28 more 
posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Politics=people screwing you for money.
Prostitution=people screwing you for money.

Why is one legal and the other not legal??

Those are 2 of the oldest professions on the planet.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

God Almighty......

sex traffickers would be celebrating about now

+11 more 
posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Yes! I have plenty to say on this topic. As a child that was "sold" and later chose to do it, I think it should be legal. Not child prostitution, but adults.

I would love to expand but I am getting ready to leave for the day.

Personal disclaimer, I am neither ashamed or embarrassed of my situation. I think more like me should speak up.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by showintail

I agree with you. Telling people what they can and cannot do with their bodies is insane.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

why? this would really screw their business.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
It's a great idea. We all know what happens when you prohibit certain activities.

People endeavor to do them anyway and the ramifications are huge.
No regulation leads to disease
Courts and prisons become crowded
Local governments lose revenue
These are only a few of the results of underground or black market sales of outlawed product.
Prohibition failed
The war on drugs is an epic failure, and illegal prostitution is a failure.
While prostitution is a disgusting idea to me, it shouldn't matter what my opinion is. The fact is that sex sells and people are going to pay for it no matter what we do. Wouldn't it make more sense to regulate it and at least receive revenues from it? It's a billion dollar industry like Marijuana or alcohol & tobacco.
The more activities we make illegal, the more those activities flourish for private criminals. Remove the criminal element and apply saftey regulations and you have a winner.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
Politics=people screwing you for money. Prostitution=people screwing you for money.Why is one legal and the other not legal??
good way to look at it. I guess competition? loss of revenue? is why one of them is not legal?

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by hp1229

God Almighty......sex traffickers would be celebrating about now

Dont forget 'taxes'
something most of them never used to pay when it wasn't legal

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

No it would'nt, it would validate sex slavery and international prostitution rings. BIG profits will come hard and fast.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by showintail

You were a child who was sold and later decided to do it?

Yes, please expand on how you were sold, who to and what you were made to do so I don't assume thats the only business you know.

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Awesome news.

They should legalize all prostituion world wide. Who are you, or anybody for that matter to tell me that I can't have sex for money?

Besides, the human trafficking, drug prostitution and all of that nasty underground crap would cease to exist in most cases because women and men could work out of their own homes, safely and without fear of being thrown in jail.

So all of those stating that sex traffickers would be happy, they would not be. This is the sort of thing that kills their business. No need to deal with criminals when you can just do it legally.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

No it would'nt, it would validate sex slavery and international prostitution rings. BIG profits will come hard and fast.
Possibly companies trading stocks on Wall Street
(The whorehouse that went public). Imagine a Microsoft or Google of Prostitution industry?
We have about a million professionals working for us. Imagine performance evaluation for someone?
Imagine the lobbying in DC
(Corporate Pimps?).

Ofcourse that is the intention of the broke governments and political mafias who would love to tap into this profession (besides alcohol, drugs and anything where they see the money is spent). Definitely with the internet and sex business, they're looking at a big pie that every country can generate some revenue from it. What will be next is 'We need to control the internet because it is affecting the business owners of prostitution as partially it depends upon the internet for the clients?' Just a thought.

Eitherway, the bottom line is money and definitely not the public health concern. Just look at the ailments and common diseases that is responsible for the deaths around the world (Diabetes, Tuberculosis, Cholesterol etc etc). Despite the advancement in medical technologies, there are just as many ailments and deaths as per WHO. Do you think this will control HIV? Probably not since not every country follows the rules and regulations (corruption ofcourse). Instead of producing good and values, definitely some countries (where prostitution is rampant and the girls are hot) will tilt towards a 'service' based economy thats for sure

edit on 24-7-2012 by hp1229 because: add content.

edit on 24-7-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
This would not stop Child Prostitution, in the least. The Netherlands has Legal Prostitution........

The number of Dutch children working in prostitution has increased dramatically over the past five years: from 4,000 to 15,000 according to figures published by the Amsterdam-based ChildRight organization. Dutch police says the numbers are much lower, but acknowledges there is a big problem. This week, a major conference on the global child sex trade went underway in the Japanese city of Yokohama.

Most children that end up in prostitution in the Netherlands are boys or young under aged asylum-seekers – particularly Nigerian girls. ChildRight claims this group numbers some 5,000 children. But recent years have seen a significant rise on the number of Dutch girls forced into the sex industry. Among them are an estimated 5,000 runaway or homeless children, many of whom are mentally retarded. Another large group (also 5,000) are ‘ordinary' Dutch schoolgirls, aged 13 or 14 from a "regular home environment" who are lured into prostitution by so-called "lover-boys".

Child Prostitution in the Netherlands

Sorry, I dont buy it.......
edit on 24-7-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
most of the people in favor of legalizing prostitution are affluent middle and upper-class, mostly males. They are generally well-educated, with a variety of life choices to choose from.

The vast majority of the people who actually have their orifices penetrated for someone's profit are the underclass. They are often not legal citizens where they work, and sometimes don't even speak the language of their "host" country. They are often young, uneducated, penniless and starving; with no real alternatives.

Of course legalization has its libertarian advocates, like John Stossel: a Princeton-educated, emmy award-winning journalist from a prominent Jewish family of Chicago. No one is ever going to force him to do anything intimate against his will---he has all the money and power of a 1%-er.

Compare that with a typical prostitute: teenager, hispanic female, (illegal) immigrant, living on the street with no relatives, education, or job skills or savings account, and a limited ability to speak English. Beaten regularly to extract any "tip" given her by her Johns, and beaten again if she becomes to ill to pull a train on a given work-night.

The "haves" in our society are all in favor of legalizing prostitution. The ugly old white men in the 1% want their sex-on-demand.

The poor children who have to lovingly caress in order to pay for supper won't even be consulted, when their "relationship" with the pimp becomes officially sanctioned policy.
edit on 24-7-2012 by tovenar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

Why do you think that is?

Generations of demonizing sex workers and creating draconic laws that, created the underground sex rings to begin with.

Had Prostitution never been criminilized, we would not have these problems. Much like anything else when you make something illegal, you only create a criminal sect who will jump at the chance to provide it for a VERY high price and risk.

Violence and drugs come with as a side effect of course and the rest is history.

And only in European or Western countries is your information actually somewhat correct. In most other nations is the sex workers who want it legalized so they can effectively protect themselves from criminals and pimps.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

reply to post by hp1229

God Almighty......

sex traffickers would be celebrating about now

Sex traffickers are celebrating already. Legalizing the trade will get the criminal element out of it, and get legitimate business and oversight involved. Look at the gambling, and the prostitution in Nevada. The situation improved dramatically after it was legalized.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Obama did say he was going to create millions of jobs. I guess he wasn't lying after all.
Just as soon as he takes away our guns with that UN bill on the 27th, he's going to appease all the angry gun owners by making it legal for them to pay for sex. Yay! Pay for sex. Something else to tax. Always creating something else to tax. At least that evil Mary Jane is still going to be illegal.

Frankly speaking, most politicians pay for prostitutes and many are getting caught. How do you stop this? Make it legal, of course! Once it's legal, they can continue doing as they are usually, but this time it won't be splattered all over the news that they're doing this. It's all for their own benefit as well as to keep the masses distracted and kept in a lull.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

At least that evil Mary Jane is still going to be illegal.

Now you know our first black president cannot possibly be a fan of keeping this illegal either.
It has to be on the secret agenda for term 2.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

In netherlands, I would assume many join/forced due to the abundance of prostitution or boredom of a legal prostitution? or simply because it is a lucrative business/job which doesn't require a formal education?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join