It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado Springs Apocolypse?! Waldo Canyon Wildfire 32,000 Evacuated, Many Houses/Buildings Burned!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Gezz.......smoke, smoke, and more smoke...I cant sleep with all of the smoke in my house...you can see a floating haze in my house. Still hot as hell so have to keep windows open, and at night the smoke drops right into C.S.,but I guess its better then some others tonight.

If anyone need a place to crash cause of Evac. message me. I got 3 couches open.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ManicDepresive1

I can relate 100%. Some nights I can see the smoke coming in. (especially tonight) I don't have AC and when it's this hot, closing my windows is not an option. These have been very sleepless and restless nights..
edit on 27-6-2012 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Saw this on Facebook a little bit ago from a good friend. How terrifying.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I live in southern Colorado just south of springs, and the we can smell the smoke here bad like being next to a camp fire. It's wild seems like the whole state is on fire. But if any of the Colorado springs members need a place to crash or use the Internet please PM me! I am here to help any way I can!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep
reply to post by Trillium

Thank you for sharing that, I didn't know! What's up with the news not reporting tens of thousands being evacuated? This fire is in the CITY now, and it's total chaos. Doesn't national news find that somewhat interesting?

Know what you mean same thing happen here our CBC & CTV took
about a week or more to get in line with something for 30 second BIG FAIL

Best new's we got was from people with scanner and then posting on Facebook
right to the minute report here a bit

Sure hope this does not turn in a repeats of 1911 great forest fire

The Great Porcupine Fire of 1911 was one of the most devastating forest fires ever to strike the Ontario northland. Spring had come early that year, followed by an abnormally hot dry spell that lasted into the summer. This created ideal conditions for the ensuing disaster, in which a number of smaller fires converged.
Porcupine, a community on the north side of Porcupine Lake, in the city of Timmins, Ontario, Canada, was the site of a huge gold discovery in 1907. On July 11, 1911, when the Porcupine Gold Rush was at its height, a gale from the southwest whipped some small bush fires into flames. As the fire gained strength, it engulfed the tinder-dry forest, razing everything in its path.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.collectionscanada.gc.ca...

More info
www.timmins.ca...

Local info on Facebook from scanner and eyewitness
www.facebook.com...
www.facebook.com...#!/groups/220402451412953/

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by xenthuin

Sorry to hear about that.... at least you got out in time.

That's what I hate about fire, is it's so unpredictable. And fast, it can change in a heart beat.

Hope your friends and family are okay too.....

Good luck and stay safe ~~

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Trillium

There are a lot of people pretty pissed at the MSM for ignoring this for the most part (and I'm not talking conspiracy types), it really does seem weird...I mean, half a million people live in the Springs. It's not a tiny city, but even if it was, this is not a small situation by any stretch.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I'm in Colorado south of Pueblo and we're seeing the smoke. I've got family in Springs so I've been watching this on the news. It's hard to believe what I'm seeing, it is an apocalypse. A spokesman with the fire dept said this could go on for weeks.

I heard a stretch of I-25 was shut down today for a little while. The news reported explosions from electrical hookups/transformers. Gas/electric is being cut to evacuated areas.

If this heads south what about Cheyenne Mountain Zoo? We've dealt with wildfires before but not in areas as populated as Springs.

The only problem with getting rain now would be flash flooding due to the burn scar or dry lightening. We're like a tinderbox down here...100+ everyday with no relief in sight. Due to a beetle infestation we've got dead pinon full of pitch everywhere. We're an apocalypse just waiting to happen too but there's not so many people down here.

Our air is thin enough without smoke. I know other departments are coming into help but firefighters from lower altitudes could get into real trouble here with the heat/altitude/smoke combo. I hope everyone stays safe.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

The fox news website has it front page I will continue to look to see about news casts nationally. www.foxnews.com...

Edit to add:
ABC home page has a little link on the left side "Colo. Wildfires Threaten Tourism" abcnews.go.com... (I just sent a complaint for their lack of coverage)

Nothing on CBS (I just sent a complaint for their lack of coverage)

I think I may send a rant to the above 2 asking them to wake up and smell the smoke.

MSNBC is covering www.msnbc.msn.com...
edit on 27-6-2012 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Thanks for that, they really need live coverage though. I think back to Oakland which was not any worse..they had 24x7 live coverage of that. I just think the media has gone insane for Mitt, and can't report any actual news with substance. Website articles don't cut it!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

yeah nobody seems to really know about this, unless you are from the area. But as I told my friends back home, be on the look out for strange activities, please hold down the fort till I bring the re-enforcements.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

hehe, my wife turned on cnn hoping to hear more. which never happens in my house and they were having a field day with Trayvon Martin. Really?
edit on 27-6-2012 by thehoneycomb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

Sick isn't it? Peoples homes are being destroyed and lives are at stake from smoke inhalation not to mention the animals wild or left behind. I just checked my email to see if there was a reply about my complaints for lack of coverage. I was not expecting a reply this soon but they don't even have an automated "Thanks for your feedback" email set up. Isn't that standard now days?

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Im actually surprised that Facebook was working and if it isn't all hell may be breaking loose. But I guess they were telling people not to use their phones only for emergencies. I didn't know that phones could jam the airwaves, but maybe so.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

U2U sent, sorry I've been absorbed in the live KKTV covevrage even though I should go to bed since I have to work early in the morning.. :/

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
This will get much, much worse, before it gets better.. as sad as that is to even think about and acknowledge, let alone say out loud.

Just food for thought here too, Paul Ryan cut funding for fire-fighters.

Budget cut coverage

Another Link from Colorado Springs and the budget cuts

Now how disgusting is that considering what we're dealing with now.

There are only 17,,, COUNT THEM... SEVENTEEN C-130 planes operational at this point. We had 200 up and running 10 years ago.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Cygnis

Yep, as sad as that is. Its almost impossible to join the firefighters without joining the union or working for free. Take it from someone who's tried and gave up on it unfortunately.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Update on the Fires
    Northern Colorado Fire(Highpark)= 136 square miles
    Colorado Springs fire= 9 square miles

And for those interested Utah(woodhollow) fire= 60 Square miles.

These are some massive fires.
edit on 27-6-2012 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

I wonder if some entity is purposely starting these fires?

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

hey wookie, if you don't have a supply of ammo and some guns plus a bug out bag nows a good time. Good as any.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join