It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado Springs Apocolypse?! Waldo Canyon Wildfire 32,000 Evacuated, Many Houses/Buildings Burned!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Here at Fort Carson most of my division is on stand-by...supposedly going to fight this thing near the academy. They've got a huge detail formed...trained and ready...last resort though. We are on a 2 hour call back alert ... although anyone not on the detail that hasn't been trained can't go in until they've received 40 hours in training.

Not sure why they haven't utilized us yet.
edit on 27-6-2012 by Xiain33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Xiain33

Because since the fire started they have been playing "pass the scene commander" according to my sister. She's not even sure who is in command right now, but THINKS it's the Forest Service now. Apparently this is the third or fourth organization in command of the response.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Incredible photo...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ManicDepresive1

Thank you for the link

I want to furthermore wish all the people of the affected area in Colorado a lot of strength and safety. We ourselves were evacuated a few years ago back here in our area in Spain www.youtube.com... and I still remember how worried we were for our houses and friends in other parts of the village and it is a horrible feeling

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Griffo515

Incredible photo...

Difficult words to say, it's harsh, but beautiful destruction.

Incredible photo.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Just saw a pre-evacuation order posted for Southwestern Douglas County via their twitter feed @dcsheriff.

Pre-Evacuation Orders for Southwestern Douglas County Residents
June 27th, 2012
Area of Interest: S. County Line to Noe Rd. – Spruce Mountain Rd to Rampart Range Rd.

This is Douglas Regional 9-1-1 with a pre-evacuation warning. The Waldo Canyon fire burning in El Paso County is expanding and poses a threat to residents of southwestern Douglas County. The specific area included in this pre-evacuation warning is bounded by the Palmer Divide Road on the south, Noe Road on the north, Spruce Mountain on the east, and Rampart Range Rd.on the west.
Douglas County Sheriff Newsroom

Hope everyone is safe and are able to check in soon!!!
OiO

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Mankind is so busy trying to 'build a smarter planet'...he's forgotten how to put out a forest fire. Man is sooooooo UNORGANIZED. He thinks of doing things, AFTER the fact. Uuuuuuh....call me stupid, but don't they have PLANS in place...BEFORE things get out of control?

Anyway...here's the latest news: Colorado wildfire update

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SpittinTruth

Fires are of great benefit to the planet. We can come up with all the plans we want, and be as organized as we want, but the planet WILL find a way to burn an area, no matter what we do.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonKapital
reply to post by Wookiep

You call this an apocalypse? So just because it happened in America it means you can make a thread about it?

Last year us Aussies endured the worst flood in Australian history with more than a quarter of a million people evacuated, tens of thousands of buildings destroyed, and over 50 people dead.
Much MUCH worse than what is happening in Colorado, but we didn't make a thread about it did we?

You're right, I had no right to make a thread about my city burning to the ground and 32,000 people being displaced etc. I'm sorry to have dissapointed you.

Anyway, I'm trying to get updated now, will check back in a bit.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Apocolypse???? What the hell you on about??? Isn't the Apocolypse supposed to be a world wide thing... not just America??? - Oh I forgot... God is American isn't he??

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyingSorcerer
Apocolypse???? What the hell you on about??? Isn't the Apocolypse supposed to be a world wide thing... not just America??? - Oh I forgot... God is American isn't he??

Relax, this was a metaphor to describe the smoke plume more or less in the area. Some people on this board get WAY too offended over very minor things....

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by SpittinTruth

Fires are of great benefit to the planet. We can come up with all the plans we want, and be as organized as we want, but the planet WILL find a way to burn an area, no matter what we do.

Bull. If the damned environmental lawyers weren't out there filing lawsuits to block SANE forest clean-up policies these fires wouldn't be as extreme. And those same environmentalist lawyers who claim the forests must be kept "au natural" to protect the wildlife ~ well, dingbats, that's what always get decimated first in these fires that THEY caused to get out of control. Have you ever seen a running elk on fire? You'll never sleep well again.
edit on 27-6-2012 by frazzle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
In 2004 I lost my home to a fire. Barely escaped with my baby and pets........
Being homeless is the worst feeling.

Thank god for Red Cross, they took care of us! Since we were renters, we did not have insurance

Thank God the firefighters were able to extinguish the fire in part of the house....The room with all my photos on the wall. The heat made the pictures stick to the glass. I still have them, they are ruined, but I have them...And My Families Life...
In the end, that is what truly matters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I seriously pray for the people of Colorado!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by xenthuin

My sister lives there. I talked to her yesterday, and she said there are something like eleven fires currently burning in the state. I don't think they could have gotten this under control quickly because their resources were tied up with the others. This fire started about a day after another fire in the area was contained, so the firefighters pretty much went straight from that fire to this one. They've moved the military in, and are using helicopters to drop on it, but they're saying it won't be contained until the middle of July.

She also said this is one of the fastest moving fires she's ever seen. She watched it yesterday, and it was on the back of a hill where she was watching, and within a few hours it was halfway down the front side.

What your sister said is true, and there were lots of firefighters on the ground very quickly. What I was primarily referring to is the 2-3 day delay it took to get the C-130's in the air. They weren't used in the Springer fire and the military has to wait until commercial and local resources are exhausted before moving in.

If the C-130's were out on Saturday or Sunday they would have been able to get more drops of retardant in while they had better access and worked to protect the ridge that ignited yesterday afternoon. To me, it was obvious that the ridge line that exploded yesterday was a critical point in the defense of the city, but the delay in extra air support meant they were stuck reacting instead of acting...

But of course it is impossible to say what could've been... I'm speculating and upset, so of course my perspective is biased.

It was very fast moving... I would say that it was unprecedented to see such rapid growth DOWNHILL. Usually it's the uphill spans that move this rapidly.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep

Relax, this was a metaphor to describe the smoke plume more or less in the area. Some people on this board get WAY too offended over very minor things....

I call it UIAB syndrome, if effects millions of people. The cure is a bottle of whiskey!
Chill!

(Undies In A Bunch)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Oh yea..S&F for you OP. Please keep giving the on scene reports, as long as you can stay out of harms way. Dam I hope my boy wakes up soon and checks in. Hate this sitting on the sharp end of a porcupine's butt feeling, not knowing much.

@Manic- I hope you and yours stay safe, and please add updates as you can...I for one truly appreciate all reports from the locals!!

Peace and much luck my friend...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by xenthuin

It also doesn't help that they're passing command around, so they're playing catchup with what the LAST command did, which delays requests for assistance even longer.

I'm surprised you haven't seen these two yet.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonKapital
reply to post by Wookiep

You call this an apocalypse? So just because it happened in America it means you can make a thread about it?

Last year us Aussies endured the worst flood in Australian history with more than a quarter of a million people evacuated, tens of thousands of buildings destroyed, and over 50 people dead.
Much MUCH worse than what is happening in Colorado, but we didn't make a thread about it did we?

There were many threads created about the Australian Floods, quit whining.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep

See, this is a problem a majority of folks just don't get because they're too wrapped up in their own personal drama to give a crap about anyone else. What they fail to realize is that perspective is everything. I know if I was staring at a wall of fire barreling down a mountian towards my home my reaction would be very similar to the OP's...well except for a whole lotta expletives sprinkled in.

Humanity....meh.

Wookie- just bear in mind there are a lot of good souls pulling for y'all. I'll keep exhaling heavily from here in hopes it keep this demon from jumping 25...

ETA- can anyone tell me where the vantage point of the live stream on KKTV is? Been checking in often and would really like to know where and what direction if possible - even a good guess would be much appreciated!!

THanks in advance
edit on 27-6-2012 by PaTommyJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by grandmatruthseeker

Thanks for the info. And no need to post your sources, unless you feel compelled to do so. In any case I did not know that information so thanks for posting it.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join