It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado Springs Apocolypse?! Waldo Canyon Wildfire 32,000 Evacuated, Many Houses/Buildings Burned!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

You call this an apocalypse? So just because it happened in America it means you can make a thread about it?

Last year us Aussies endured the worst flood in Australian history with more than a quarter of a million people evacuated, tens of thousands of buildings destroyed, and over 50 people dead.
Much MUCH worse than what is happening in Colorado, but we didn't make a thread about it did we?

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
This is my hometown and it's painful to watch it burn. We live on the east side, so are generally safe, or as safe as possible in these circumstances. My parents, however, are on the west side, packed and ready to run if need be. The most frightening part is how fast the fire changed course and came into the city, and the thunderstorms that caused that to happen are predicted again today.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
It's been crazy here lately, hasn't it? I live pretty close to the High Park fire, and I'm about sick of waking up to the taste of campfire in my mouth. I'm hoping they can get the Waldo Canyon fire out quickly, because it's much more populated down there. When I left work in Broomfield today, I was greeted by a fire to the west in Boulder. With the winds out of the south tonight, Loveland was blanketed by the Boulder smoke. Hang tough, neighbor. Let's hope this can be contained quickly!

Good luck guys... Wook, you included. Be safe.

Best from NZ.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonKapitalbut we didn't make a thread about it did we?

Actually there were a whole bunch of threads, where people from all over the world were really supportive and sympathic. Just search for Australia wildfires, Australia floods, etc.

Now stop being a twat please.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by CrimsonKapital

Double
edit on 27-6-2012 by feelingconnected because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I dont understand your post. As we are both from a country that is growing accustom to natural disasters. Bushfires or wildfires (as the US call them) are terrifying, un predictable and down right scary. There is no size limit or number limit of evacuees put on a disaster is there, to make it more appropriate to make a thread about

My heart goes out to anyone that has lost homes or may loose homes in any fire, its something really hard to come back from, but you will. However mostly I hope no lives are lost.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

Cell phone service was spotty at best yesterday (tues) It took 2 or 3 tries to get through to me wife. and interwebs are also very slow .

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

I read somewhere that a few days ago firefighting planes were ordered to stay aground for 90 minutes because of "something" that came down from thye sky but hear nothing about that anymore..

Does anybody know anything more about that?

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Wow...really???? Man you seem very upset. Sorry no one in Aussie decided to make a thread about your fire, but its our fault because of that now huh...sheezz

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Elq10000

It was a suposed metor shower or something... it seemed weird that they would ground them for that??

Meteors ground planes.
edit on 27-6-2012 by ManicDepresive1 because: added link

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Cygnis

Nice info to point out. Fire is good for the forest, it opens pinecones to seed and gets rid of all the thatch,kind of like a rebirth of forest... BUT it aint good in Populated areas.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

You have posted some terrifying pictures of the Waldo Canyon Fire. Colorado Springs is densely populated. The homes go right up the sides of the mountains...population of about 650,000. It is not surprising that there have been 32,000 evacuated and will probably be more. The pic I am trying to upload comes from a local news webpage. I was posting with my sisters and my son in Colorado Springs on FaceBook last night and when this one came on....We all exclaimed...* holy crap*. Those Firefighter pilots are so damned good at what they do.
The military are taking in evacuees from the Air Force Academy to free up the civilian sanctuarys for civilians.
The Humane Society has accessed a convention center near the main HSPPR. Many shelters are letting crated pets in with their owners.
KKTV....KRDO....those media sites have been able to update frequently.
Do I need to post my sources? Most of the info I related came from those two local stations.
My prayers go out to the locals. I pray for the firefighters and police....sheriffs dept...there is much going on...and I know they are doing their best to prevent loss of life. After all, this is their hometown too.....Loss of property is of course inevitable for some there. They are good people out there....and tough. Lets all send good energy their way and think RAIN RAIN RAIN.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
My prayers and thoughts are with everyone that is being affected.

I cannot even imagine such an epic form of destruction happening here by us in South Africa. It would be beyond disaster here if 32,000 people needs to be evacuated.

Strange thing is, i have not heard anything about this fire. Not on tv, nor radio.

Keep strong in faith. Nature is angry.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

Hey sweety...most of the posters here ARE in Colorado Springs as I am also, I am lucky enough to live on an eastern hill in the city so I can see a lot.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by grandmatruthseeker

WOW!! That picture...WOW!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
My heart goes out to those affected by these fires. I once helped to fight a forest fire in Indiana that lasted for 3 days, and a week after I was married the first time we lost everything in a house fire. It lays a depression on one that is difficult to lay aside. Wonder why MSM is.t covering this properly? Shame on them.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Its getting bigger doubled over night.

Quoted from Fox News 21...."On Wednesday morning, fire officials said the fire was burning 15,324 acres with only 5 percent containment. On Tuesday, it was only 6,200 acres."Fox News 21- Story

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

You call this an apocalypse? So just because it happened in America it means you can make a thread about it?

Last year us Aussies endured the worst flood in Australian history with more than a quarter of a million people evacuated, tens of thousands of buildings destroyed, and over 50 people dead.
Much MUCH worse than what is happening in Colorado, but we didn't make a thread about it did we?

Are you kidding? A post gets started on ATS if someone sneezes too hard. There were a slew of Australia fire threads, and many started by folks not living there. And certainly nothing stopped YOU from starting a thread if you so desired.

With all the other ridiculous hate threads, rude debunking, and all the rest, we have to deal with "my fire can beat up your fire" sorts of posts.

p.s. Oddly have not see too much smoke here in Denver proper. Although, been hot as hell all week. I have plenty of friends being displaced though, and one of my former offices had to shut down due to the fires. It's certainly nasty. I think 13 wildfires at the same time?

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
My son is in Springs attending school. I'm getting really, really nervous about this. His apartment is out of the evac zone for now, but the complex buts right up against Palmer Park. He lives near Garden of the Gods and Academy roads. I've visited several times so when he tells me of the movement I understand completely what he's telling me. My fear is if the evac zone is moved east then the city may very well be wiped out. Such a densly populated area, unbelievably dry tinderbox and houses crammed in a small area. If that fire crosses 25 I fear all will be lost.

To the OP: thanks for the updates. My thoughts and prayers are with you all, and not just because of family in the area. Hoping the wind changes or my rain dances pay off...

edit on 27-6-2012 by PaTommyJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by PaTommyJ

Its hard to believe that it has gotten as far as it did. Like I said earlier I saw it in its infancy on Sat. mid morning and thought "thats small they will squash it "..like they have done here many times before. I never thought it would get as far as it has. Yes if it crosses I-25 were screwed.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join