It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girl, 16, Kills Herself After Researching 2012 Doomsday Threads...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I take partial responsibility.

As a skeptic, I am not doing a good enough job debunking the EOTW stuff that pops up. There is a lot of anti-science stuff out there that skeptics in general pretty much ignore, or sound "shilllike" and dismissive over it. A young mind doesn't have the same filters that an adult (should) have....so even those truely quacky theory need to be addressed calmly and not just dismissed.

So ya..less "your an idiot if you believe this" posts and more "This cannot be for reasons of A, B, C, and D" posts is a good start from the skeptic side of the fense

now, non-skeptics...I recommend a bit less sensationalism...more measured approach overall. stop the omg we are all dead stuff and more this appears concerning approach...

As far as the girl in question. Well, I am of the opinion that, with the exception of some cases (such as physical pain or the like) a person willing to suicide is not thinking properly. I don't condemn them...their parents and friends are being tortured enough, no need to add to that with resentment. I do feel a bit sad that this condition wasn't noticed early enough to counter it and get this person meds, or whatever was needed to help. Maybe some good will come from it though...or not.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trolloks
The world just got a little lighter.....

I have no sympathy for this girl. She seemed to not use any critical thinking, you can't just believe everything you read about these things, you should take everything with a pinch of salt. If you thought the world was going to end, and was so certain that you would hang yourself, then why would you kill yourself anyway? Why not just die when the world ends? At least then there is a chance that you would survive because it's not true (personaly, im not a 2012 believer).

No doubt people will jump on the bandwagon and blame people here and blame people there, but the fact is that there if no one to blame, it is her fault, no one elses. I may sound like a horrid person, or someone lacking in compasion, but in all seriousness, she did it, and it was no one elses fault.

I don't know how old you are, but I will assume you are an adult. You did catch the part that she was 16 right?
How many critical thinking 16 year old's have you met? If anything, impressionable girls at that age are anything but critical thinking. I don't think you are a horrid person, just a little quick to judge that's all. Critical thinking go's both ways you know

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Parents alway try to find other excuses for the suicide of their children. Kids look to their parents for hope and if all they get in return is the command to worship or pray to some stupid imaginary friend then what hope is there? I blame religion and the ignorant delusion of an afterlife lure the stupid unto death.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by crimsongod21

So the Samurai warriors who commit harakiri are stupid mindless idiots, The monks who set themselves on fire are even more stupid and of course we have the stupid people who wear explosive vests when they get aboard crowded vehicles.

"People who kill themselves are weak" .. Duh That's why she killer herself. Because people feel weak or threatened by people who think they know it all. If you feel the pressure of the strong and you don't like being under control it's very brave to yourself instead of being a slave.

The victim might not have been a slave but she was dealing with forces that she couldn't handle and didn't want to succumb to them.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

And here in lies the problem. Yes it is a sad story and I truely feel for this girls family and friends.

But, you can not blame one person actions on other peoples words. As a human we must all make choices about our own actions. You listen to others and take in the information around you but you must decide for yourself what is right and wrong. Most people on here hate the big banks. So if i listen to them am I justified in attacking my local B.A. No.

This is one of our biggest problems today. We excuse people from crittical thinking. Yes I know she was young but even when I was a 5 are 6 years old I knew I could not run off a cliff like the cartoons I watched on TV and survive it.

We have to get back to teaching people to think for themselves. The amount of information people can get now is unreal. But its wheather you sort it out for yourself, are just allow others to tell you what it means that make a difference.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Suicide is the ultimate expression of self-hate.
I wonder how long it will be before we learn that she was on Prozac or some other "anti-depressant".

I agree that the world is better off for this to be eliminated from the gene pool.
She is another candidate for the Darwin Award.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
A wasted life because of a stupid reason, but somewhere in my mind it feels like this wasnt the only cause, maybe it was made out to be like that to hide something or investigators being too lazy.

Nice media twist in there with the added religion. thats how they add shizz into people's head and feeble minded will believe it.. like "omg Buddhism + teen death + internet + 2012 = Buddhism is evil".

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
Parents alway try to find other excuses for the suicide of their children. Kids look to their parents for hope and if all they get in return is the command to worship or pray to some stupid imaginary friend then what hope is there? I blame religion and the ignorant delusion of an afterlife lure the stupid unto death.

thumbs down dude. you're making big assumptions.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Parksie

the Samurai warriors who commit harakiri- could of lived to fight another day, to support there cause or ruler

The monks who set themselves on fire are even more stupid- you said it i didn't - but yes they are did there act create a stir, sure did but what did any one truly gain from it?

we have the stupid people who wear explosive vests when they get aboard crowded vehicles. - yes they are stupid, killing non-combatants is stupid, it causes moral outrage and detracts from your purpose and goals.

I disagree with your statement the brave thing to do would be to stand up, knock the dust off your shoulders and educate yourself give yourself a way to fight back against your "wrong doers"

The act of suicide is the easy way out, you dont have to admit defeat, that you were wrong or face your problems. You just leave your friends and family to deal with all that for you. Adding onto it all with the guilt and sadness they now feel that you are gone.

this is a story of courage or bravery -

When my grandfather was diagnosed as terminally ill he was in constant pain and was made aware of the short life expectancy he had left. He could have taken the easy road and ended his suffering, but he didnt he was brave and stuck it out untill it was his time to go. When asked why he was allowing himself to suffer, he responded " I want to be with my family and friends, they need to understand that im ok with what is happening to me. When it is my time to go, i will, not before"

that is bravery that is courage

Killing yourself is not even close to being on the same level of courage or bravery. It is a selfish act period.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I never understood these people.

So what if the world is going to end? Why to the apocalypses job for it and kill yourself?

Dead is dead. At least by not giving up you may still have a fighting chance or at least live long enough to get out a couple of "I told you so"'s.

When you're diagnosed terminal you dont just blow your head off. You live it up as best you can until the universe puts an end to it.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by biggmoneyme

Thats what i do...

Unfortuantly for those who disagree with me, i am rarely wrong. Time will prove my wisdom.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Because when you're depressed you're not exactly thinking logically. Think about it she's a 16 year old girl with her whole life ahead of her. There's was so much she had yet experienced and so much to hope for. Yet here she is being told by supposed experts that not only will she never really get to experience life but that everyone she cares about is going to die as well. That's about as bleak as it gets and I can easily see why this would trigger depression.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

The power of spite beats depression every time.

At least it should.

Maybe that's what pharmacologists should work on. Rather than decrease feelings of depression increase the drive to spite.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I don't know, you sure this aint some ploy for an excuse to blame it on Doomsdayer's? I can't see some girl offing herself just because she found information on Sunspots that may cause a nuclear meltdown. If anything Fukishima is the one that caused the nuclear meltdown.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
No one can really go inside this person's mind and the dark hidden hell she probably lived in. Family are usually the last to know of their living hell. All the doom stories provided the catalyst for her spiral down to a place of no return, but that doesn't imply the reason for it. Quite simply, there may be NO reasoning behind this tragedy, but a biological imbalance. May this beautiful young girlrest in peace now.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

A life shattering event for her parents. I feel anger for her and people that do this with out warning or reason.
I think it's selfish and the reasons why they do it ? Should never be released to the media or talked about in public.

I'll manners to speak of the dead.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Do you think if people knew their life would be disected when they died... do you think they would still kill themselves?

I think it would deter quite a few of those boohoo whiners....

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

how can they not know? It happens all the time, from little miss nobody to Mr Jackson when some one kills themselves or dies there whole life is poured through.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
it will only get worse

RIP

there will be at least one cult that does a mass suicide in december

sad

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

As a skeptic, I am not doing a good enough job debunking the EOTW stuff that pops up.

That's not a skeptic.

A skeptic doesn't know the end result and seeks answers.

You sound like you already have your mind made up, that the world isn't going to end any time soon, and that any claim that it will is automatically 'debunked'.

This means that you are actually a faith based believer, you have faith they are wrong, and you believe that you know what you are talking about.

This is very different than the generalized skeptic who admits they do not know the future and instead applies logic and questions things until the facts become more apparent.
edit on 18-5-2012 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join