It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Catholic Church brings back indulgences, can you buy your way to heaven w/ the root of all evil?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Well....if it can be bought, let them spend a fortune. Personally, I wouldn't even think that would do me any good.

...and there are no refunds.

It is just plain greedy.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

I highly recommend everyone reading the book "The Two Babylons" By Alexander Hislop. I got the link for it and it comes in book form you can buy in any Hastings, Books a Million, or Barnes and Noble.

The Two Babylons

Is that the one that details mystery Babylon and literal Babylon being judged on the advent of the day of the Lord?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
As with the 1% the only power the Catholic Church has comes from YOU! Stop buying their crap! Problem solved!

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

To have to pay some church so they will keep you out of hellfire is one of the sickest things that a religious leader could impose on his "flock". Whether this story is accurate or not, when the Catholic Church decides to act its age, maybe then some extremely good things will be done (saving the environment, protecting animal and sea life, feeding every poor person, etc.). But to go backwards on purpose on any of their many rules and regulations to a time of superstition and gullibility reflects on them very badly.

edit on 30-4-2012 by Aleister because: clarity

edit on 30-4-2012 by Aleister because: edit

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by onecraftydude
As with the 1% the only power the Catholic Church has comes from YOU! Stop buying their crap! Problem solved!

Not true exactly, they are the largest landowners on the face of the Earth.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Have you ever spent 3 days in a movie theatre in Colorado Springs and before that watched the first mars launch before it took off.... Did you also know that the Cathedral at The Air Force Academy is also a temple constructed correctly.
edit on 30-4-2012 by Atisha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atisha
Have you ever spent 3 days in a movie theatre in Colorado Springs and before that watched the first mars launch before it took off....

Yes, I believe everybody here has done both those things.

And in terms of the catholic church wanting people to do good deeds in return for keeping the door locked on hell and its minions, maybe they should look into their own souls to see if they need to do some well-needed housecleaning.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
See, and I was SO bummed out that I couldn't grow up to be a pardoner.

now where did I put those "relics" and "official papal indulgences"

Now, good men, God forgive you each trespass,
And keep you from the sin of avarice.
My holy pardon cures and will suffice,
So that it brings me gold, or silver brings,
Or else, I care not- brooches, spoons or rings.
Bow down your heads before this holy bull!
Come up, you wives, and offer of your wool!
Your names I'll enter on my roll, anon,
And into Heaven's bliss you'll go, each one.
For I'll absolve you, by my special power,
You that make offering, as clean this hour
As you were born.

-from The Pardoner's Tale in The Canterbury Tales by Geoffery Chaucer

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
The "root of all evil" is not money -- it is the Love of money. Presumably if you are willing to part with money but donating it to the church you are not overcome with love of money.

Essentially, donating money to the church (any church) is an act of charity and a good deed, so it is reasonable that such a good deed get a reward (such as an indulgence).

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by merkej23
reply to post by Danbones

I guess they need to add money to coffers in order to repay for the loses due to the touchy feely priests (and pope?)

I take exception to this comment in particular and to this type of post in general. Why can't you say it like it is. I guess they need to add money to coffers in order to repay for the loses due to the CHILD RAPIST priests (and pope?)

P

edit on 30-4-2012 by pheonix358 because: didn't work first time.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I may have missed it, but did anyone point out that the New York Times article which served as the basis for the story said

There are partial indulgences, which reduce purgatorial time by a certain number of days or years, and plenary indulgences, which eliminate all of it, until another sin is committed. You can get one for yourself, or for someone who is dead. You cannot buy one — the church outlawed the sale of indulgences in 1567 — but charitable contributions, combined with other acts, can help you earn one. There is a limit of one plenary indulgence per sinner per day.: (Emphasis added)
www.nytimes.com... So, in answer to the headline's question, no, you can't buy your way into Heaven and the Church doesn't teach that you can.

Now feel free to go back to tearing each other down over points of doctrine instead of building each other up.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by troubleshooter
Salvation is a gift that can not be merited or purchased...
...this is just business/corporate greed.

In case Troubleshooter posted this without reading the entire thread (and the excellent points by FortAnthem and FlyersFan), let me point out that indulgences are only beneficial to people that are already going to heaven. The Catholic Church agrees that salvation can't be purchased.

Eric
edit on 30-4-2012 by EricD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

I highly recommend everyone reading the book "The Two Babylons" By Alexander Hislop. I got the link for it and it comes in book form you can buy in any Hastings, Books a Million, or Barnes and Noble.

The Two Babylons

And I highly recommend that everyone do some research on The Two Babylons. You will quickly realize how deeply flawed the book is. Problems range from logical errors to poor research to not having accurate knowledge (a problem of the times the book was written in) of the myths and societies Hislop discusses.

A good starting point is Ralph Woodrow's (no friend of Catholicism, btw) The Babylon Connection?.

Eric

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
i saw the pontiff on a public access channel 3AM in an infomercial, i ordered the premium package it includes a drink and movie on my trip to heaven. the show was followed by the season premiere of praying the gay away.!

i apologize for the sarcasm and bad taste but i was raised Catholic so this isn't anything new for me and i really feel bad for the elderly because they're believing all of this. the Church needs the money to buy their way out of child molestation claims is what it all amounts to.. michael jackson had nothing on the millions the Church pays out annually.

my faith is still strong though, wrong or right, i just no longer claim any kind of organization or specific denomination. i see miracles every single day so i know i haven't been abandoned yet. Church is in your heart.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

The Two Babylons

Is that the one that details mystery Babylon and literal Babylon being judged on the advent of the day of the Lord?

Partially. It goes into detail about the similarities between the R.C.C. and the mystery babylon religion. Here's some archeaological evidence from the mystery babylon religion. Keep in mind they like to wave the sign of Tammuz in the air (the sign of the cross).

You really want to see how deep this rabbit hole goes? Fare enough. Ofcourse any catholics here will not like this and will deny it.

Pope wearing priesthood of Dagon Mitre, see the eyes and mouth?

Pope sporting the Templar cross, same Templar cross as the mystery babylon religion depicted in the basrelief from babylon.

Priesthood of Dagon wearing their Dagon mitres, notice the eyes on the Pope's Mitre disquised as jems and the rim of the top of his mitre lined with the "fish lips"?.

Templar cross again in pagan worship.

This pic explains itself, and we can see where it came from by looking at the pics above. Hitler was very into pagan occultism.

Roman Catholic Monstrance used for the Eucharist

Here's another pic of a monstance with a tiny cross ontop. Notice if you remove the starburst theres a circle with a cross ontop? Thats the sign for female. Replace the starburst flames and you have a star. Sungoddess worship hidden right in front of your face.

Sign for female.

Egyptian Cross or "Ankh"

One of the crown jewels of England, the Monarch's orb. See the circle on the bttom with the cross on top? Sungoddess idol hidden right in front of your face.

Medical symbol with Caduceus.

Sungoddess Ishtar/Inanna/Ashtoreth/Isis with Caduceaus wrapped around her legs and hips. Another sign of healing.

Mystery Babylon religion is everywhere you go man, you can't walk out your door without it being in your face. We are surrounded and it is imbedded in every aspect of everyone's life. It's even hiding right in front of Atheists faces, theyre worshipping the Queen of Heaven Ishtar and don't even know theyre doing it. Very few people ever see this stuff or recognize it for what it is. It's got Queen of Heaven Ishtar, Dagon, Mithra, Allah...you name it the mystery babylon religion has them all.
edit on 1-5-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I had a strong suspicion this pope was evil. This confirms it for me without a doubt.
Just look at a picture of him. he looks evil.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
This set up strikes the same nerve as the idea of carbon credits with me. You shouldn't be allowed to buy a clean conscious. period.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Nobody on this thread has even the slightest idea of what an indulgence really is.

1) The Church has never taught that one can buy their salvation.
2) The Church has never taught that one can even buy indulgences; the instances of this happening were abuses perpetrated by individual clerics actually going against Catholic teaching.
3) The Church has banned the selling of indulgences but has never stopped granting indulgences, nor has She ever removed the indulgence from the Catholic faith.

Indulgences are not back. They've always been around. But they are not a means to purchase salvation and they never have been. That's a gross misunderstanding of basic Catholicism that has unfortunately become all too common.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

The Two Babylons

Partially. It goes into detail about the similarities between the R.C.C. and the mystery babylon religion. Here's some archeaological evidence from the mystery babylon religion. Keep in mind they like to wave the sign of Tammuz in the air (the sign of the cross).

You really want to see how deep this rabbit hole goes? Fare enough. Ofcourse any catholics here will not like this and will deny it.

Pope wearing priesthood of Dagon Mitre, see the eyes and mouth?

Pope sporting the Templar cross, same Templar cross as the mystery babylon religion depicted in the basrelief from babylon.

Priesthood of Dagon wearing their Dagon mitres, notice the eyes on the Pope's Mitre disquised as jems and the rim of the top of his mitre lined with the "fish lips"?.

Templar cross again in pagan worship.

This pic explains itself, and we can see where it came from by looking at the pics above. Hitler was very into pagan occultism.

Roman Catholic Monstrance used for the Eucharist

Here's another pic of a monstance with a tiny cross ontop. Notice if you remove the starburst theres a circle with a cross ontop? Thats the sign for female. Replace the starburst flames and you have a star. Sungoddess worship hidden right in front of your face.

Sign for female.

Egyptian Cross or "Ankh"

One of the crown jewels of England, the Monarch's orb. See the circle on the bttom with the cross on top? Sungoddess idol hidden right in front of your face.

Medical symbol with Caduceus.

Sungoddess Ishtar/Inanna/Ashtoreth/Isis with Caduceaus wrapped around her legs and hips. Another sign of healing.

Mystery Babylon religion is everywhere you go man, you can't walk out your door without it being in your face. We are surrounded and it is imbedded in every aspect of everyone's life. It's even hiding right in front of Atheists faces, theyre worshipping the Queen of Heaven Ishtar and don't even know theyre doing it. Very few people ever see this stuff or recognize it for what it is. It's got Queen of Heaven Ishtar, Dagon, Mithra, Allah...you name it the mystery babylon religion has them all.
edit on 1-5-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

This is absolutely ridiculous. A monstrance does not look like an ankh. The cross on the bottom of the ankh is essential to the symbol itself. Monstrances don't have this.

The medical symbol is not a symbol of any goddess but is the brazen serpent, a story from the Old Testament, in which Moses cured the illnesses of many Israelites when Yahweh told him to place the serpent that had bit them on a wooden stake. By viewing it, they became cured (a foreshadowing of sin and the redemption of Christ).

kingdavid.wordpress.com...

Try doing 2 seconds of research before making such preposterous claims.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by AntoniusBlock

you cant buy them outright but they are in a sense awarded for "donations"
call girls use this same kind of logic you arent buying sex you are making a "donation" for the time spent and whatever happens during that time is perfectly legal

but im sure you understand THAT at least is common prostitution

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join