It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SHTF...Real guns VS. BB Guns.. lets end this!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Well, right now my weapons include a small but very sharp katana, a flawlessly built and sharpened hunting knife from my grandpaw, and bb rifle... I prolly wouldn't take the bb rifle with me, though. I'd definitely take the knife, and maybe the sword depending on the situation, because hunting with blades is much quieter and they're much easier to conceal... but I am saving up money to buy me a 12 gauge shotgun, which doesn't need registering... and once I get it, I'm gonna name it Sparky, treat it like my baby, and I'm never gonna be without it

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
reply to post by RickGrimes

I would consider a .22 lr

Ammo is cheap. (just found 5000 rounds for 150 bucks)

Hits much harder than a .bb gun. If you've ever had to hunt you'd know that knockdown is just as important as hitting your target.

There are so many different styles of .22lr out there it is insanity... There are semi autos (which includes both the 10/22 and AR-15 style .22lr as well as others), single shot, single shot bolt action, standard blind mag bolt action. There are also .22 handguns available so you can use the same ammunition for your handgun as you do with your rifle.

Chances are if your gun breaks you will find another .22lr out there and equally as likely you will find .22lr ammo all over the place.

.22 is the most common bullet you will find..

Another plus side to the .22lr is you can carry thousands of rounds for it without having to deal with the weight associated with larger calibers.

"A .22 will kill further than you can shoot it accurately"

Yes they have a nice long kill distance and are very easily suppressed.
edit on 6-4-2012 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-4-2012 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

I higly suggest anybody who didnt watch this video the first time do so now. If you reading this thread you are doing so because you feel there is something in here thats is valuable to you, This video is valuable to you...every body MUST own a .22

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I just left WalMart...12ga pump 289.00....you can't beat that for a BB gun

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

You completely ignored all pros of BB guns offered by OP

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by indigo21

HE calls them pros...I don't see them that way over a 12ga and,again,what will you do with it when you can't get gas any longer?Throw it at a quail?

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
A .22 would be much more effective, also cheap to shoot and very lethal, next wold be a crossbow, and always matches or a Bic lighter. And always a knife and Machete. It amuses me when thesr Para Military type have the Ol' International pick-up all camoed out and loaded with survival stuff all Apocalipse ready........ where are they going to go......... where are they going to escape to? Out to the desert? the most hostile of environ's or the mountains, a similar harsh environment? And just how long will they last on a few drums of fuel and boxes of k rations? I'll just stay here on the farm and form a Co-op with a few armed folk and just do the same as always, grow vegis and chickens. WTSHTF, I doubt many will do more than rely on the government which will likely collapse or semi-collapse.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
OP's Remark................."the only downside to owning a BB gun is the co2 cartridge... it has a very limited life span.. usually lasts for about 30-50 shots before having to reload it....

however the good thing is co2 cartridges are in expensive as well and you could easily stock up on several hundreds of them!"

In that frame of mind, Benjanin makes one of the most powerful 'PUMP' bb or pellet guns and rifles. That would likely be much more 1. powerful 2. cheaper yet, ammo/power source wise. 3. somewhat more intimidating than a 'BB' looking barrel 'toyish' BB weapon.

edit on 7-4-2012 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I would chose a good slingshot as backup and for stealth.
Never runs out of ammo and with a good model, it can even kill big game (if one can sneak up on it).

A slingshot would be good to consider in Europe where guns can not be bought that easily.

edit on 7-4-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Consider this....... which things would be traded the most.....? In an Apoctalyptic scenario it would be Food/water, Clothing, shelter supplies, fuel, medical supplies, Radio/batteries, Drugs... medical and illicet. Marijuana, along with alcohol and likely towards the top of the list weapons and ammo. The spoils of roving bands "Mad Maxish' types or groups or nomad/transient types, who subscribe to marauding or thugism, would be captured weapons and ammo. The likely most popular captures ammo? M 16 or M60 or whatever the Military is shooting nowdays.

edit on 7-4-2012 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
The typical American thinks of a 'bb gun' as the toy they had as a child or the Daisy Red Ryder of Ralphie in the Christmas story movie. Times have changed.

Got deep pockets, really deep pockets? Check out Theoben at
www.theobenusa.com...
up to $2000 or go BIG bore fromt Gary Barnes at
www.glbarnes.com...

up to 87 cal and 850 foot pounds and a many year waiting list last time I checked.

There are many other brands much more 'practical'.

Air rifles have the advantage of low noise and NO heat signature.

Lewis and Clark praised their 32 cal piece, now on display at the VMI firearm museum. It was quiet enough to not spook the deer before the shot arrived.

In the muzzle loading era air rifles could outshoot muzzleloaders 12 to 20 times as fast. Not only were they used to hunt deer but also in the Napoleonic Wars. Napoleon is alleged to have said they were unfair and damn the rules of war, any Austria soldier captured with one was to be killed on the battlefield.

So dismiss your out of date thinking a do a bit of research.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by highfreq
reply to post by facelift

This is an embarrassment to this Forum...

No not necessarily, I think it's a great idea. Perhaps not for personal protection but I can see a bb gun being quite useful in a shtf scenario.

definitely useful but definitely NOT co2 powered and a Browning Auto5 12 gauge is coming no matter what

edit on 7-4-2012 by bottleslingguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I do think high powered (not the "toy" pellet/BB guns of our child hood) air guns do serve a purpose as a low noise/heat method of taking small game in a SHTF situation, the one thing that a .22 lacks is the ability to be fired without some kind of report (lacking a very effective and possibly cumbersome suppressor of course). I have watched many video online of people using air guns to take birds and small game. I have also shot a fair bit with mid range pellet guns, and they can be effective against small game over moderate ranges.

Notice in several shots, the pellet actually passed through the animal, and the shot was an obvious kill shot.
edit on 4/7/2012 by RyanFromCan because: added a video.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Plotus

a friend of mine had a Benjamin BB gun break barrel and shot a hole in his truck's tailgate with it

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
It's good to have a BB gun on hand, preferably a hand-pump model so you don't have to have CO2 cartridges. I wouldn't rely on it for stopping a human being though especially not one who is drunk or just determined.

If you are really afraid of the govt taking your guns then you should buy a submersible safe and bury your guns 4 feet under the dirt somewhere where you will be able to get them once the SHTF.

If all you can afford is a BB gun, then all I can say is good luck... you're gonna need it.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
However, getting back to the OP's premise, if a BB or Pellet gun is in your arsenal of weapons, common sense would dictate that a pump would be more efficient due to availability cartridges, however the rapid fire of a CO2 cartridge powered unit would for a while be an advantage until you had exhausted your CO2 cartridges. That is obvious, but small critters are a source of food, and small weapons like these, would be more a deterrent than none at all.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Socrato

Some hi-powered models are much pricier than say a plain jane .22LR, so I am not so sure it is solely an issue of price. I myself would like to have say a handgun, and a rifle, but I think a good air gun does have a viable place as a silent ( or near silent ) small game hunting weapon. I do agree however with many here that I am not big on the idea of having to rely on it for self defense. I guess the way I am looking at it, if it is quiet enough to not notify others of my existence or whereabouts, and it allows my to hunt small game without being noticed, it has served it's purpose.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Of topic somewhat, a 150 pound draw weight crossbow, can recover the ammo, and make more, possibly easier to repair, can use boiled animal sinue for draw cord. and silent!

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by LiberalSceptic

Why on earth a catapults called sling shots? they are totally different in operation, its the same as calling spades shovels, they both do different jobs!

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
If you are gonna go with a "bb" gun, and I really don't recommend it, do not go for a CO2 one. Breakbarrel pelletgun or pump at least, CO2 suck, and their suckage level depends on the temperature etc. I would take a crossbow, hell, I would take my longbow over a bb/pellet gun.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by pikestaff
reply to post by LiberalSceptic

Why on earth a catapults called sling shots? they are totally different in operation, its the same as calling spades shovels, they both do different jobs!

Brother I am not totally sure what you are trying to say.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join