It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SHTF...Real guns VS. BB Guns.. lets end this!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ixDrMANHATTANix
OP has a point, not everyone can afford an expensive gun, also id rather have 5k bullets for hunting etc...

than 50 bullets that run out, and then having to go scavanging for more bullets and possibly meet others who are thinking the same thing, can you imagine that confrontation!!?

yea thats if you even get lucky enough to find more bullets

with the way these guys are talking in this post, im thinking i should start stocking up STAT!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by k1k1to

yea go ahead and stock up all you want..

pretty soon uncle sam will be knocking at your door, with his open palm extended, asking you "nicely" to surrender you registered firearm....

my advice?

cross bows
bows and arrows
slingshots
BB rifle

and a hailmarry prayer

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
we all had BB guns and air rifles when we were kids, thats what we played with, as they were TOYS--not weapons!. We use to shoot each other all the time, it might sting a bit, but its not going to stop someone from attacking you, it will just make them more irate.

I have a traditional hunting boomerang I would take in a SHTF scenario, it might not be that intimidating to an attacker, but it will split their skull.

but to answer the OPs question: Real firearm Vs BB gun. Id prefer any firearm over a childrens toy.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Are you out of your freaking mind, seriously a BB gun pistol by choice?
You ether didn't think this out or thought to much on it. You would be better off throwing the gun than shooting them. I guess you could use the butt for a hammer or a nut cracker. And....NO, your not going to go long range hunting or playing sniper with a BB gun rifle unless you are actually hunting snipe. My suggestion to you would be, take the money you would spend on your toy gun and go buy a good survival book and read it, you'll last longer.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by RickGrimes

the best part about BB guns is..... you dont have to register them... so you wont have someone at your front door waiting for you to hand them over!

THIS IS A LIE

It implies you Have to register a handgun. In most states in the USA you DO NOT have to register a handgun or have a permit to carry one as long as you carry the gun openly where it can be seen and identified.

It is true if you register your handgun you might have someone knocking at your door if you stay home in a SHTF situation.

I think it's a wise move to bring both a high powered Air Rifle Type BB Gun ( not regular Red Rider BB Gun) (or two, one rifle and one pistol) And one real handgun and or one real rifle with you.

The BB gun can be used in many situations you don't need to use a more powerful gun like small game hunting.

The regular handgun is for self defense of you and your family. ( and large game)

It pays to bring BOTH with you.. only bringing one or the other is foolish and wasteful. End of Debate.
edit on 5-4-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by RickGrimes

So you pull the BB gun, pretending it is something it is not, and the other guy, hungry, desperate and, with nothing to lose charges you with a knife and ...well, spills your BBs.

If you are in one of the former UK colonies of the last few decades, I can understand why you don't have a real gun, but real men and women carry guns now and certainly will when TSHTF.

(And if the attacker is big brained as you claim humans tend to be, he may have a nifty homemade spear or bow and arrrow set for venting your hide. A guy with a BB gun to use as fake real gun is not so smart as you claim humans to be. He is playing the wrong game.)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Yeah I would be able to tell once I seen that really small barrel hole. There its ended.
edit on 6-4-2012 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
You'll put your eye out!

There, I just had to say it. Seriously, BB and pellet guns have their place, and a high-powered spring-piston (pneumatic) air gun with a good scope is useful. Forget the CO2 - it just defeats the advantages of reduced ammo weight.

Consider the .22 long rifle - ammo is cheap, and comes in many types. A .22 pump rifle is compact, light, and using the CB Cap ammo, it is almost as quiet as an air gun. I have gone shooting a .22 single-shot in the field with a cardboard target, and the muzzle blast is so quiet that I could hear the bullet strike the cardboard. It is an unobtrusive rig, and good for small game.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by RickGrimes

** imagine you are an unarmed looter.. and you have one of these pointed at you...can you tell the difference between the real one and the BB gun? **example below

Yes you could easily spot the difference by looking into the muzzle. And after doing so, I'd simply grab it and smack you on the head with it.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I would consider a .22 lr

Ammo is cheap. (just found 5000 rounds for 150 bucks)

Hits much harder than a .bb gun. If you've ever had to hunt you'd know that knockdown is just as important as hitting your target.

There are so many different styles of .22lr out there it is insanity... There are semi autos (which includes both the 10/22 and AR-15 style .22lr as well as others), single shot, single shot bolt action, standard blind mag bolt action. There are also .22 handguns available so you can use the same ammunition for your handgun as you do with your rifle.

Chances are if your gun breaks you will find another .22lr out there and equally as likely you will find .22lr ammo all over the place.

.22 is the most common bullet you will find..

Another plus side to the .22lr is you can carry thousands of rounds for it without having to deal with the weight associated with larger calibers.

"A .22 will kill further than you can shoot it accurately"

Yes they have a nice long kill distance and are very easily suppressed.
edit on 6-4-2012 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-4-2012 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by facelift

Thanks for the laugh

Starred

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
In a all out shtf scenario I have another issue that requires me to have a gun on hand and ready to go. Man to man, I feel that I have just as good as chance at coming out on top as the next person. Another man does not really worry me that much.

If shtf, one thing concerns me is animals. Most areas have zoos in the area and if some of those animals escape, such as apex predators, this could add another element to the survival scenario. In my location, I have a zoo 70 miles to the north and another 60 miles to the west. Should lions and tigers and other apex predators get loose, I do not think 70 miles is much of a distance for these animals to cover in a short amount of time. This is another reason to have guns as part of our survival package. I would much rather fight another man than to have to fight a lion. I do hope however, that zoos have a operational procedure that in the event of certain incidents and time permitting they put the big predators down before abandoning the zoo.

I certainly do not want to take a large wild animal on with a bb gun.
edit on 6-4-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
BB guns for anything the size of a chicken or smaller is probably a better use of limited ammo as you'd want to save the bigger stuff for humans/larger animals

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
A BB gun is a bad idea on all levels.

1) What kind of food are you going to procure with a BB gun? Grasshoppers? Wound a chipmunk, if you can hit it. I mean come on! BB gun's are made to put holes in tin cans and a tin can with holes in it is no good for SHTF, since you'll want to use it for boiling water, food etc.

2) Horrible option in a self defense situation. So your BB gun looks like a gun? So what! The hole at the end of the barrel is the size of a BB not a .357 magnum, 44mag etc. What do you want to do, piss of your would be attacker? Mission accomplished, after they take it from you they will beat you with it and shoot holes in all of your tin cans.

3) If you want to arm yourself with something that you can stock allot of ammo for cheap, get a .22lr Rifle or pistol. At least with a .22 you can kill that chipmunk you are aiming at. Still won't be a huge help in self defense but certainly better than nothing.

If you raised this question using a high powered pellet rifle in place of the BB gun, than I would say if that's all you had than its better than nothing, but a BB gun is a waste of weight and time. Not a troll, not knocking you for trying, just don't want anyone to have the misconception that a BB gun can save their life someday.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Did this man really say a BB gun for survival?
CO2 powered at that?

I just pissed my pants laughing!

That BB gun might seem like a great idea...if you were 10 years old.
I'll tell ya what, go ahead and carry that, and when you get shot in the face and left in a ditch, I'll be sure to walk past your rotting corpse and laugh while saying "BB gun...#ing BB gun".

Get real!!!!!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Honestly now, for double the price of that #ty Crosman CO2 pellet/bb gun, you could buy a Mosin Nagant.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Interesting thread OP. I see the point your trying to make, I just think you are GREATLY overestimating the advantages of the BB gun.

I'd say the best all round survival/SHTF/general purpose gun for the everyday person is:

.22 rimfire. Plentiful and cheap, easy to stock up on. Plus you could carry alot of it. Different ammo available, minimags, hollowpoint, etc. Used primarily in rifles, but both revolvers and semiauto pistols are made for it as well. Unless your going for some competitive model, whether rifle or pistol you can find them under $100.00 used, and rarely over $350.00. Easy to learn, virtually no kick. An 8 year old could quickly become proficient. Great for small and even some medium game. IT WILL kill a person (although won't likely give you an immediate STOP, if you want that don't go BELOW 9mm). Also .22s are available, at least as a bolt action rifle, in VIRTUALLY every city and state, despite some of the more draconian laws in places like California and Chicago. I would especially suggest the Ruger 10/22. You are a little higher on the price, depending on model, but they are extremly versital.

ruger.com...

A close runner up would be a pump action 12 guage (or even some of the smaller gauges) Same basic reasons as above, other then it doesn't typically come as a pistol. Even more ammo options, 00 buck, birdshot, slugs, sabot's, in steel, lead, etc. Able to get birds in flight for food, even more "knockdown" or "stopping power". Also legal almsot everywhere and that "clack-clack" sound can do wonders for intimidation!!!!!!!

Personally I would think if your serious in survival you would have several options of firearms for SHTF. Pistols/SemiAuto Rifles/Shotguns so you have the range of capabilities. But I realize most people for all sorts of various reasons (including costs, local laws, etc) can't do that.

Go little .22!!!!!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
In defense of OP, there are some really good advantages to having a PELLET gun (not BB). I own one myself, with lots of pellets. It fires at 1,100 fps in one break action, and has proven itself as a good varmint killer at short range. This can keep a person fed without making a lot of noise (even a .22 is considerably louder). Using it for personal protection, though? Mine would be a good deterrent, but I'd hate to have to depend on it to do more than just p!ss off the guy that I just shot. I also own a 12 ga shotgun, and I'd certainly trust it to stop someone if they were a threat.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
This discussion has lead to some strange perceptions about air rifles. Airguns can be used to put meat on the table in a survival situation, even with lowly BB's. I'm surprised more hunters haven't chimed in to defend the use of a pellet gun for survival hunting. I know some have, but the consensus really should be overwhelmingly in favor of pellet guns.

Here is a popular article that recounts someones experience while homeless and jobless, using a Crosman 2100 to supplement his food supply:

www.airgunsofarizona.com...

However, there are a lot better choices than a Crosman 2100. I would say no to CO2 powered airguns, but many common multi-pumps and springers will do the job. Some of the more poweful types can easily take small and medium sized game and in very special cases, large sized game with skilled precision shooting.

However a pellet gun cannot be used for defense, unless you mean being ready, hiding and waiting for an aggresor to appear within your sights.

I say in a true SHTF scenario a reliable, easy to maintain, somewhat powerful pellet gun will do a lot to conserve real ammo when used strictly for hunting and target practice. As would a crossbow or bow, but in my experience both of these need a LOT MORE practice and skill to use proficiently. With a pellet gun, practicing will be easy due to the ability to easily store significant amounts of pellets, BB's, oil and replacement parts.

Also, nobody likes black powder for a SHTF situation? It also has some clear benefits over cased ammunition also. I will say that black powder and pellets guns would likely be good long term choices if cased ammo becomes scarce or disappears from the face of the earth (i.e. The Road Warrior, where Mad Max squeezes an old 12 guage shell and it disintegrates in his hand).

www.remingtonsociety.com...
edit on 6-4-2012 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

www.youtube.com...

www.quackenbushairguns.com... looks kinda fun actualy i didnt know they came in big bore sizes

airgun-academy.pyramydair.com...

.50 air rifle yeah little bb guns have their place but id want one of those if i was trying to survive with just an air rifle for protection but what ever works for you

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join