It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SHTF...Real guns VS. BB Guns.. lets end this!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by RickGrimes

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Originally posted by thehoneycomb
First, if a BB gun is all that you have at your disposal. I would travel by stealth and avoid all confrontations. I would recommend picking up a sling shot. These are very accurate at close range and can be lethal and they are available at walmart for $6. You will never run out of ammo unless you can not find a rock. For a small investment you could get a .22.

At some point you will need a real sword however. In these situations guns and ammo are easy to come by if you approach the situation right.

Personally I will be carrying a lot more then a bb gun and slingshot. But thats a start.

thats what im talking about!

it seems that alot of people, have a movie like interpretation of an apocalyptic scenario...if you plan on going in guns blazing well... good luck with that...

but you have the right kind of survival mentality....

*keep it simple
*keep it stealthy
*avoid all if any confrontations

thanks for the advice on the slingshot, i might get me a couple of those

its not about having a movie mentality. Its about being as prepared as possible. You are right that avoiding confrontations is ideal. But what do you do when you cant avoid them?

there are many ways to avoid confrontations many of which do not require violence, in some instances just the mere sight of any firearm whether it be real or fake is enough

...but sometimes it isnt. So what then. You will defend yourself with a bb gun?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by RickGrimes

No, if all that you have at your disposal stay out of sight. Don't even be visible.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I want to buy another Crosman 2100 pellet/bb gun.

I used to have one when I was younger. This was honestly the best pellet rifle I have ver owned, and they do not cost a fortune. I used to shoot quarters and bottle caps from a good distance. I am even sad to say that some local wild life fell victim to my lack of respect for mother nature. That has all changed now, but I do know that this baby is capable of it.

I know that it doesn't look all "sniperish", but the quality is there.

As far as owning a real gun, forget about it, LJ01 needs to buy a bow and plenty of arrows because someone at the Federal Bureau of Investigation says that I cannot have a real gun, even if it was for a non violent offense.

So look out because LJ01 will be packing .177 cal pointed pellets, with ten pumps, for anyone who dares to mess around

edit on 5-4-2012 by liejunkie01 because: spelling. grammar

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
A BB gun will get you KILLED in the the UK - draw on a police officer or be seen with on you will have the firearms squad on you.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

A rifle would be better for appearance. But if it's a bb gun you better hope no one spots you first or you'll be dead quick.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Are you serious?

Firstly, have you ever seen a picture of a wild hog (I can tell you've never seen a real one)? You had better be a crack, and I mean crack, shot with a .22 Magnum to have any chance to kill one of them critters. I wouldn't think about going around wild hogs with anything less than a 30-06, and preferably my trusty .444 Marlin!

Secondly, if we are in a confrontational situation of any kind and I see you even touching that gun, there will be lead flying in your direction instantaneously. I am not going to stand there and ask if you are carrying a BB gun.

Thirdly, we used to shoot each other with BB guns when we were younger... it hurt about like a paint ball gun. My wife uses something similar to that pic to run varmits off the front porch, and all it does is annoy the possums.

Fourthly, make sure you have plenty of Mountain Dew in your BOB please? You won't be needing it long anyway, and I would love to scavenge some caffeine out of it after you no longer need it.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
1. NEVER EVER pull a BB gun on someone unless you are ready for them to take it away from you and whip your butt

2. A BB Gun will NOT kill a person.. Or Wild Hog for that matter.. May put your eye out at best

3. Some professional, competition pellet rifles get close to the .22, but never equal.. I have one and used to compete.. BUT not a BB GUN

4. Hunting small game, birds, ground squirrels etc would be fun but you need to get VERY Close

I had to post this before someone reads this thread and gets hurt

Semper

on the contrary my friend, The muzzle energy of a 755fps BB gun is 6.46ft-lbs, the ballistic coefficient of a BB is 0.009. According to an airgun ballistics calculator that gives you a maximum range of 186 yards. >That would be a close approximation and of course would depend on weather conditions..

"BB guns dont kill people" if your intention is to prevent people from being hurt you should change that statement

here you go

boy killed by bb gun shot to the head

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

A rifle would be better for appearance. But if it's a bb gun you better hope no one spots you first or you'll be dead quick.

I was mainly replying to this scenario.

and here is where the debate starts... if you decide to escape for the wilderness and decide to take a gun with you... *which would you take? and which is overall better in the long run?*

I wouldn't be "stupid"(for lack of a better term) enough to try to defend myself from an armed, crazed, psyco eyed lunatic pillaging everything they can find.

I cannot own a firearm so I would have to resort to "other" options for self defense.

Got any suggestions?

edit on 5-4-2012 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
A BB Gun would be a nice secondary weapon to use when you want to conserve ammo, as said in the OP to hunt small game and such, and it may even scare away a few thugs.

But if you found yourself outgunned by 2 or 3 others and they have real guns, good luck getting out of that one with only a BB gun.

Also wouldn't work well in the wilderness if bear or wolf attacked, you'd run out of ammo by the time it's biting you.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Well I've only been teaching firearms and competing on a national level for over 20 years

I can show you were a man was killed by his own finger, does not mean it is a standard

Believe what you will folks...

Semper

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
You know you can get an 8 shot rotary cartridge .177 air pistol (looks like a normal handgun, not revolver) that will actually be able to kill something in the wild (small bird close range rabbit) as well as looking scary.

And the crazy thing is that in the UK you can buy one over the counter, but if you bought a BB gun you would need it painted bright neon colors unless you had a airsoft skirmish license.... gun laws are broken in the uk

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

My advice would be to use a bb gun only to fend off an un armed offender or hunt small animals. Carry a knife and a sling shot, they are more effective.

Last if you find yourself in the crosshairs with a bb gun, throw it to the ground and throw your hands in the air and surrender.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
How will you recharge your CO2? breathe in it?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Carry a knife and a sling shot, they are more effective.

add crossbow and obviously real fire arms.

BB guns wont do crap will break, airguns do inflict damage but are again pointless.

I think id rather huge machete and some war paint, whos going to even try to take your stuff?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Thats a good point. Somebodies gonna want your stuff. So maybe the best thing you can do in this situation is not carry anything, then hopefully, nobody will want to mess with you.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
I want to buy another Crosman 2100 pellet/bb gun.

I used to have one when I was younger. This was honestly the best pellet rifle I have ver owned, and they do not cost a fortune. I used to shoot quarters and bottle caps from a good distance. I am even sad to say that some local wild life fell victim to my lack of respect for mother nature. That has all changed now, but I do know that this baby is capable of it.

I know that it doesn't look all "sniperish", but the quality is there.

As far as owning a real gun, forget about it, LJ01 needs to buy a bow and plenty of arrows because someone at the Federal Bureau of Investigation says that I cannot have a real gun, even if it was for a non violent offense.

So look out because LJ01 will be packing .177 cal pointed pellets, with ten pumps, for anyone who dares to mess around

edit on 5-4-2012 by liejunkie01 because: spelling. grammar

i hear ya brother, you have a good point

there are many people who have fallen victim to the horrible justice system and cant legally own a firearm...

so if you are in that situation, at least you still have a chance to survive

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift

and here is where the debate starts... if you decide to escape for the wilderness and decide to take a gun with you... *which would you take? and which is overall better in the long run?*

in my personal opinion i believe that carrying a BB GUN is the best option for a scenario where you have to abandon everything on last minute notice, and head for the woods

WTF...

This should be placed in the Hoax forum...

What's next..? A whiffle ball bat instead of a Louisville slugger...?

This is an embarrassment to this Forum...

WOW that was faster than expected.. i guess the trolls come out from under the bridge at any time of day huh?

what ever happened to having civilized and rational conversation on a topic?...

this is in the appropriate forum, and BB guns are very real my friend... no hoaxes here...

i just presented a simple, and affordable solution for the every day average citizen who doesn't want the hassle, and troubles that come with owning a real gun...

however difficult this might be for you to comprehend please be civilized

Come on RickGrimes do you mean to say you did not expect some backlash when you suggested using a BB gun in a SHTF situation?

Personally I would not give one second of consideration to using a BB gun for survival purposes.

If you want a weapon that is light and the ammo is cheap please at least get a 22.

At this time, I carry a 22 magnum hand gun, a 38 S&W hand gun and a 12 gauge shot gun.

The 22 because it is quiet and deadly.

The 38 for up close and personal. The 12 gauge for a crowd.

I feel it is irresponsible to even suggest that others use a BB gun in survival situations

I'm not a troll. Just being honest with you.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs

Carry a knife and a sling shot, they are more effective.

add crossbow and obviously real fire arms.

BB guns wont do crap will break, airguns do inflict damage but are again pointless.

I think id rather huge machete and some war paint, whos going to even try to take your stuff?

you have it backwards

in the OP it clearly states

BB guns use METAL round or pellet shaped bullets powered by co2

AIR SOFT uses PLASTIC bullets and is spring powered

airsoft wont get you anywhere

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame

Originally posted by facelift

in my personal opinion i believe that carrying a BB GUN is the best option for a scenario where you have to abandon everything on last minute notice, and head for the woods

WTF...

This should be placed in the Hoax forum...

What's next..? A whiffle ball bat instead of a Louisville slugger...?

This is an embarrassment to this Forum...

WOW that was faster than expected.. i guess the trolls come out from under the bridge at any time of day huh?

what ever happened to having civilized and rational conversation on a topic?...

this is in the appropriate forum, and BB guns are very real my friend... no hoaxes here...

i just presented a simple, and affordable solution for the every day average citizen who doesn't want the hassle, and troubles that come with owning a real gun...

however difficult this might be for you to comprehend please be civilized

Come on RickGrimes do you mean to say you did not expect some backlash when you suggested using a BB gun in a SHTF situation?

Personally I would not give one second of consideration to using a BB gun for survival purposes.

If you want a weapon that is light and the ammo is cheap please at least get a 22.

At this time, I carry a 22 magnum hand gun, a 38 S&W hand gun and a 12 gauge shot gun.

The 22 because it is quiet and deadly.

The 38 for up close and personal. The 12 gauge for a crowd.

I feel it is irresponsible to even suggest that others use a BB gun in survival situations

I'm not a troll. Just being honest with you.

i am not forcing anyone to pick one over the other

i simply presented certain advantages of the BB gun..

also the scenario i presented is that you had to live in the wilderness, and had to survive by hunting small game...

people keep thinking that i am suggesting to chose a bb gun in a scenario where you have to defend a fortress or a zombie apocalypse ....

i said it once and i'll say it again... in scenario X if you are seen walking around strapped to the teeth, the mob of looters and rioters is coming for YOU first...

thats if....

big brother doesnt take your guns before

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
OP has a point, not everyone can afford an expensive gun, also id rather have 5k bullets for hunting etc...

than 50 bullets that run out, and then having to go scavanging for more bullets and possibly meet others who are thinking the same thing, can you imagine that confrontation!!?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join