It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SHTF...Real guns VS. BB Guns.. lets end this!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
heres the debate.....

in an apocalyptic scenario, where you have to abandon your house, and head for the woods, or any other survival place..obviously there are certain things that you need to survive...and im talking about the average citizen...the person who hasn't spent all their time preparing for the worst...

unfortunately the majority of us were not meant to survive on brute physical strength alone...and this is why we have one of the biggest advantages in nature...a highly developed brain capable of thought...and the uncanny superhuman ability, and will to survive and adapt to whatever is thrown at us!...

so here is where im getting at...a big majority of us will need weapons of some sort... the more clever and cunning of our counterparts will know how to make weapons out of nature, be it spears, bows and arrows, daggers etc...however for the rest of us we will most likely rely on our old friend... the GUN...

and here is where the debate starts... if you decide to escape for the wilderness and decide to take a gun with you... *which would you take? and which is overall better in the long run?*

in my personal opinion i believe that carrying a BB GUN is the best option for a scenario where you have to abandon everything on last minute notice, and head for the woods...now the BB gun im referring to is the METAL C02 powered BB's..... not to be confused for the plastic air soft guns that are spring powered...

here we go.....

** imagine you are an unarmed looter.. and you have one of these pointed at you...can you tell the difference between the real one and the BB gun? **example below

[IMG]http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/3320/10d6b25ebab8aa155657449.jpg[/I MG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

if you can tell the difference...good for you, but in a heated situation not many people would notice..so not only could a BB gun be effective as an intimidation tactic where you dont want to shoot someone...but there are way more advantages that i will list....

co2 BB GUN

*you can purchase more bullets for bb guns for way less than a real gun.. bb gun ammo usually comes in the thousands, and usually costs about $15..also if you are forced to loot a place for ammo.. there is a higher chance of having bb ammo available, compared to real gun ammo that would be nearly extinct within the first month of S hitting the fan.. heres an example of what bb ammunition looks like

* a bb gun requires less maintenance compared to a regular gun, that jams/ needs regular cleaning/ cant get wet/ cant get too dirty..etc...

* the usual MSRP for a sturdy and durable BB gun is between $70-$150 for a pistol or revolver compared to a real gun which could range from $200-$3,000 not to mention ammunition roughly about $50 for a couple of bullets also $120-$250 for a decent BB rifle which can be used for sniping or long range hunting.

*just like a real gun.. a bb gun CAN kill a person if fired almost anywhere in the face, and will greatly injure and incapacitate a person shot any where else in the body... trust me you do not want to be shot by a metal pellet going 435 feet per second

*there are also rifle BB guns used for long range hunting and are very effective many shooting 800-1000 feet per second, this can be used to hunt small game such as squirrels, wild hogs, birds etc... hey its the end of the world what else do you think you would be eating? also would you rather waste a real gun and ammunition on a squirrel? below is an example of a BB rifle

**heres one of the most important part***

many ATS'ers believe that the government will eventually come to take our guns.. and any person registered to have a firearm will have someone knocking at your door pretty soon...well....

the best part about BB guns is..... you dont have to register them... so you wont have someone at your front door waiting for you to hand them over!

the only downside to owning a BB gun is the co2 cartridge... it has a very limited life span.. usually lasts for about 30-50 shots before having to reload it....

however the good thing is co2 cartridges are in expensive as well and you could easily stock up on several hundreds of them!

so...what side of the fence are you guys one? i would like to hear your thoughts on this

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Looking at that gun, it would be SOMEWHAT difficult to tell the difference, if one didnt know anything about guns. Personally, it would take me about 5 seconds to realize that is a bb gun. And what if they simply dont care and rush you. Would you feel ok pulling that trigger to save your life?

BB guns have their place, but it isnt for survival. No range. No stopping power. Limited co2 capacity.

bottom line: If you had to take one shot to save your life, would you want it to be a bb or a .40 cal?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I say have one of each. The stealth factor(keeping other survivor desperadoes from knowing your location) of air guns could weigh heavy in a SHTF scenario. I like the idea of a rabbit stick as an option too. Don't forget the fishing line.

edit on 5-4-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by RickGrimes

And a moose would do exactly what, if you hit it with your BB gun? I get that you're talking about an urban environment, but where we live, it would be the .22 hands down. We can shoot large game, small games, feathered game, and it's easy, and cheap, to carry lots of ammunition for it.But we're not settling for just one gun.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I think it's a great idea to carry one in you B.O.B . Cheap inexpensive and fairly easy to maintain, what more could you ask for.

However a BB Gun can never replace the confidence and lethal power that a cartridge fired gun can provide.
And yes, even at first glance I can tell the difference between the two if pointed in my direction at a close distance.
Sure I don't want a bb lodged in my skull, or any other part of my body for that matter, but in a situation X if you pull a bb gun on me.....I'm taking my chances and getting what I came for even if i do get shot.

link   
I can see you love your red ryder, but I have to say it......COME ON, MAAAAAAN!!!!!
All in good fun

But, actually, I think a BB gun would be really useful. Just not as personal protection or to take down any game bigger than a squirrel.

And having noticed your username and avatar, I do have to point out it wouldn't even slow down a walker.
edit on 5-4-2012 by pierregustavetoutant because: (no reason given)

link   

and here is where the debate starts... if you decide to escape for the wilderness and decide to take a gun with you... *which would you take? and which is overall better in the long run?*

in my personal opinion i believe that carrying a BB GUN is the best option for a scenario where you have to abandon everything on last minute notice, and head for the woods

WTF...

This should be placed in the Hoax forum...

What's next..? A whiffle ball bat instead of a Louisville slugger...?

This is an embarrassment to this Forum...

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by pierregustavetoutant

to take down any game bigger than a squirrel.

Don't forget about rabbits, turkeys, birds(on the ground
) rattlesnake, turtles, possums(mmmm..possum), raccoons and some of those other fine meals one may need in a survival situation.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

No not necessarily, I think it's a great idea. Perhaps not for personal protection but I can see a bb gun being quite useful in a shtf scenario.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift

in my personal opinion i believe that carrying a BB GUN is the best option for a scenario where you have to abandon everything on last minute notice, and head for the woods

WTF...

This should be placed in the Hoax forum...

What's next..? A whiffle ball bat instead of a Louisville slugger...?

WOW that was faster than expected.. i guess the trolls come out from under the bridge at any time of day huh?

what ever happened to having civilized and rational conversation on a topic?...

this is in the appropriate forum, and BB guns are very real my friend... no hoaxes here...

i just presented a simple, and affordable solution for the every day average citizen who doesn't want the hassle, and troubles that come with owning a real gun...

however difficult this might be for you to comprehend please be civilized

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
First, if a BB gun is all that you have at your disposal. I would travel by stealth and avoid all confrontations. I would recommend picking up a sling shot. These are very accurate at close range and can be lethal and they are available at walmart for $6. You will never run out of ammo unless you can not find a rock. For a small investment you could get a .22.

At some point you will need a real sword however. In these situations guns and ammo are easy to come by if you approach the situation right.

Personally I will be carrying a lot more then a bb gun and slingshot. But thats a start.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
My issue with bb guns is this: What can they do that a crossbow cant? Crossbows are nearly as quiet, have reuseable ammo, are easy to carry, and FAR more lethal than a bb gun.

I guess i look at it like this: Yes, a bb gun would have its uses in a survival situation. But There are tools, such as a crossbow, that have all of the same uses, and more. And in the end, in a survival situation, its all about choosing what would be the MOST useful to take with you.

Give me a 12ga., a .223, a sidearm and a crossbow. Ill leave the bb gun at home.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

I understand bud. Best of luck to you. Hopefully you will meet up with some like minds and someone can let you borrow their rifle.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb
First, if a BB gun is all that you have at your disposal. I would travel by stealth and avoid all confrontations. I would recommend picking up a sling shot. These are very accurate at close range and can be lethal and they are available at walmart for $6. You will never run out of ammo unless you can not find a rock. For a small investment you could get a .22.

At some point you will need a real sword however. In these situations guns and ammo are easy to come by if you approach the situation right.

Personally I will be carrying a lot more then a bb gun and slingshot. But thats a start.

thats what im talking about!

it seems that alot of people, have a movie like interpretation of an apocalyptic scenario...if you plan on going in guns blazing well... good luck with that...

but you have the right kind of survival mentality....

*keep it simple
*keep it stealthy
*avoid all if any confrontations

thanks for the advice on the slingshot, i might get me a couple of those

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by RickGrimes

it seems that alot of people, have a movie like interpretation of an apocalyptic scenario...if you plan on going in guns blazing well... good luck with that...

*keep it simple
*keep it stealthy

its not about having a movie mentality. Its about being as prepared as possible. You are right that avoiding confrontations is ideal. But what do you do when you cant avoid them?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
My issue with bb guns is this: What can they do that a crossbow cant? Crossbows are nearly as quiet, have reuseable ammo, are easy to carry, and FAR more lethal than a bb gun.

I guess i look at it like this: Yes, a bb gun would have its uses in a survival situation. But There are tools, such as a crossbow, that have all of the same uses, and more. And in the end, in a survival situation, its all about choosing what would be the MOST useful to take with you.

Give me a 12ga., a .223, a sidearm and a crossbow. Ill leave the bb gun at home.

i understand where you are coming from, and this was a comparison between a real gun and a BB gun...

almost like comparing a crossbow to a regular bow... both USEFUL tools in any scenario..

but what will you do when a mob of 20+ see you walking down the street holding your 12ga and every other weapon strapped on your body?... good luck with that friend

im not referring to a zombie apocalypse....

im talking about you heading for the woods, and trying to survive with a real gun or BB

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
1. NEVER EVER pull a BB gun on someone unless you are ready for them to take it away from you and whip your butt

2. A BB Gun will NOT kill a person.. Or Wild Hog for that matter.. May put your eye out at best

3. Some professional, competition pellet rifles get close to the .22, but never equal.. I have one and used to compete.. BUT not a BB GUN

4. Hunting small game, birds, ground squirrels etc would be fun but you need to get VERY Close

I had to post this before someone reads this thread and gets hurt

Semper

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I met a guy who got first blood in afghanistan with a knife.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

i understand where you are coming from, and this was a comparison between a real gun and a BB gun...

almost like comparing a crossbow to a regular bow... both USEFUL tools in any scenario..

but what will you do when a mob of 20+ see you walking down the street holding your 12ga and every other weapon strapped on your body?... good luck with that friend

im not referring to a zombie apocalypse....

im talking about you heading for the woods, and trying to survive with a real gun or BB

Ill avoid them as best I can. But at the very least, I will have a chance to defend myself. What will you do in that situation with bb gun as your only protection?

If you are only willing to accept bb vs real gun, then there truly is no point to this thread. There is not one single thing that a bb gun can do to outperform a good ol' .22lr.

Truth of the matter is, comparing bb guns to real guns is like comparing a mustang to a moped.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

*keep it simple
*keep it stealthy

its not about having a movie mentality. Its about being as prepared as possible. You are right that avoiding confrontations is ideal. But what do you do when you cant avoid them?

there are many ways to avoid confrontations many of which do not require violence, in some instances just the mere sight of any firearm whether it be real or fake is enough

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join