SHTF...Real guns VS. BB Guns.. lets end this!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift
WTF...
This should be placed in the Hoax forum...
What's next..? A whiffle ball bat instead of a Louisville slugger...?
This is an embarrassment to this Forum...

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Really now...
I have a very nice .22cal bent barrel airgun that fires over 1000fps. It can easily take down small game, and believe me hit could do serious damage to a person.

Of course one of my gun fanatical LEO friends had to start ribbing on it, and that I could have bought a “real” gun for what I payed for it. He went on about how it wouldn't do a darn thing, and just to prove his point, he took it into his garage and fired it into a wall....

The shot went through both sides of the wall, a plastic storage container, a box full of old checks, turned, went through another wall, both sides, and finally stopped when it hit a cinder-block wall....

I got no more guff from him about my “wimpy airgun”...
We both spent the rest of the day shooting it, sighting in the scope, and having a great time. Cost for a whole days shooting? About $1.00...

Airguns have been used in Big Game hunting, including even felling bears and buffalo.

They have a history dating back to at least the Lewis and Clark Expedition, and were used by various armed forces because of their silence and lack of smoke:
Girandoni Air Rifle

Airguns have several distinct advantages over regular guns in survival situations.
1)They do not require the maintenance of a normal gun.
2)They do not require heavy, space consuming ammunition.
3)Their ammunition never ages.
4)Ammunition can be molded from common metals, it can be retrieved, and reused.
5)They are generally quieter.
6)They do not produce smell or smoke.
7)You never run out of air.

Disadvantages:
1) Reload times can be a bit long.
2)The really high powered ones normally have to be reloaded between shots (single shot).
3)High rate of fire guns tend to require a compressed airsource and generally have a lower FPS.

Generally speaking Bent barrel airguns will generally last forever, with unlimited ammo, and are more then sufficient for hunting and basic self protection.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by RickGrimes

A simple 9mm will go a long way. But if SHTF I'd want something with a little more 'oomf' (stopping power). I'd want something simple, that's easy to clean and repair. I'd want a fairly standard caliber of rounds. (No need scrounging for hard to find ammo.)

If you're going to have a pellet gun which runs on little gas cartridges, you're probably going to have to ditch that gun eventually due to those cartridges as opposed to finding a small 9mm rifle/hand gun.

But when it comes to self defense, you have to think about it this way: You have a pellet gun that looks real, great. But it's probably going to be desperate times where the other guy doesn't care because he's dead one way or another. He pulls out his REAL gun and you're left there shooting BB's. If it comes to my survival and I have nothing else to lose, I'm going to jack you up armed or not. (Of course, only after every other viable solution is at least tried.)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I have BOTH!! Several "real" guns and a 1200fps air rifle.
I can see how the air rifle could come in handy for squirrels, birds, etc.. as food in a SHTF scenario.
But my real ones will be the only ones I depend on for personal safety.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

That's why you don't buy a BB gun, you get a high powered air rifle that shoots .177 or .22 pellets.
A break barrel can actually be reloaded and pumped to full power in the same amount of effort as chambering a normal hunting rifle. You can probably put out a shot every few seconds with some practice.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I prefer to buy a .22LR handgun or rifle and for $20 I buy 555 rounds of ammo.

I can kill my food, I can protect myself, and have better range for just a little more money and less complications.

Co2 bottles aren't cheap and they only provide only a few good rounds before they lower the fps on the BB.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Get a Ruger single pump pellet rifle, heavy as a real rifle but cheap to shoot for your food and more silent.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Small bb gun, Crossbow, and some kind of really sharp blade. I would want to carry a real gun, but you can easily conceal a small bb gun and a Crossbow (the small ones you get at the store, anyway) and and pocket knife. And plus, guns bring a lot of trouble, because they draw legal attention, and they're loud.

I say, lots of (or at least one, whatever you can afford) real guns for bugging in.

Small bb gun, blade, and if you're hunting, small crossbow for bugging out.

Unless you're heading to another hideout or someone's house where you plan to live, then try to take your real gun or guns with you if you can... using your best judgement on weather or not its too risky, of course.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

if shtf, i would go ahead and forget about the legality of firearm possesion. pellet and bb rifles have their uses, but self defence........NO.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ooYODAoo

uncle sam can go get #$^$ed . i dont know when they will start going door to door but i will have nothing for them to confiscate due to a recent burglary. i am a law abiding citizen, having said that when the government is no longer for the people, by the people we owe no alligence ,no respect ,no sympathy to anyone wearing tptb brand
however i would surrender my nephews bb gun

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by pushmepullu
reply to post by ooYODAoo

uncle sam can go get #$^$ed . i dont know when they will start going door to door but i will have nothing for them to confiscate due to a recent burglary. i am a law abiding citizen, having said that when the government is no longer for the people, by the people we owe no alligence ,no respect ,no sympathy to anyone wearing tptb brand
however i would surrender my nephews bb gun

That's so sad that your guns were stolen, I lost most of my guns in a tragic boating accident.

Right now they are in 178 feet of water in Lake Koronis.

Such a shame.

Oh well, move on then, no guns here.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I would rather have my Henry then my old red ryder or any other bb gun. Some crazy guy comes up with a 9mm you have abb gun shoot him he just caps you you got a henry shoot long range. But considering you dont have a real gun I would run to a walmart and take a pellet gun at least those. You get shot with one of those especially if it's a .22 or .25 cal pellet your going to have a bad day.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by cdesigns
Co2 bottles aren't cheap and they only provide only a few good rounds before they lower the fps on the BB.

Break barrels don’t require a CO2 cartridge, nor do they require being “pumped”, and they can reach velocities around 1200fps. To pump a break barrel, you simply snap the gun barrel down, load, and snap it back into place. Whatever the mechanism inside is only requires that small amount of effort to tension them up to well beyond what a normal “pump” BB gun can ever achieve. The only down side is that they are fairly expensive and can only hold a single pellet at a time.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
Whatever the mechanism inside is only requires that small amount of effort to tension them up to well beyond what a normal “pump” BB gun can ever achieve. The only down side is that they are fairly expensive and can only hold a single pellet at a time.

You mean spring piston pellet rifles. The down side with them is that they are less accurate than multi-pump or pcp (pre charged pneumatic) pellet guns. Another thing is weight. The average spring piston rifle weighs around 6 lbs. The crosman 1377 and 1322 weigh 2lbs. That 4 lbs difference means you can trek lighter or carry up to 3600 additional pellets or split the amount on extra pellets and firearm ammo.

One other advantage of the pump up guns is that they can handle heavier ammo. This means better terminal ballistics and this would also mean that if you found a way to place an arrow inside or over the barrel it would make it suitable for hunting larger game. Here is a vid of an airgun shooting arrows. It's an expensive gun (pcp) with an expensive conversion kit.

Here is a more homegrown idea. Camera work is shaky but it does get the idea across.

Here is a vid comparing a springer and a pump up. Despite the impressive speed, the springer got less then 20% more penetration. The multi pump in the video is a $32 Pumpmaster 760. It weighs 2.75 lbs and has a smooth bore for BBs and pellets

edit on 9-5-2012 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

break barrel gives it away, not to mention that the repeated "breaking" of the barrel loosens the barrel at the joint. A loose barrel has no accuracy whatsoever.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Penetration is only one factor in evaluating ammunition.

The Gamo actually moved the block it hit it so hard, the Crossman did not.

It also has a huge accuracy edge with the rifled barrel.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeenMyShare

break barrel gives it away, not to mention that the repeated "breaking" of the barrel loosens the barrel at the joint. A loose barrel has no accuracy whatsoever.

My grandson is using my dads old german made break barrel pellet rifle and it's still just as tight as it was 50 years ago when it was made, and still very accurate. My dad was over last summer when ha was shooting grackles and he said it hadn't slowed down a bit.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by daskakik

Originally posted by defcon5
Whatever the mechanism inside is only requires that small amount of effort to tension them up to well beyond what a normal “pump” BB gun can ever achieve. The only down side is that they are fairly expensive and can only hold a single pellet at a time.

You mean spring piston pellet rifles. The down side with them is that they are less accurate than multi-pump or pcp (pre charged pneumatic) pellet guns. Another thing is weight. The average spring piston rifle weighs around 6 lbs. The crosman 1377 and 1322 weigh 2lbs. That 4 lbs difference means you can trek lighter or carry up to 3600 additional pellets or split the amount on extra pellets and firearm ammo.

I don’t think your talking about the same thing. Break Barrels are extremely accurate and are used in target shooting competitions. They normally run from the $300 to $3000 price range.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 5/10/2012 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Y'all are TRIPPIN! In a SHTF scenario........people will be eating PEOPLE! That will be the only thing left on the planet. There won't be a bird in the sky, if a food shortage ever came about. The only thing that would be left to hunt...would be each other.

I guess i should start working on those boobie traps. So when you come to my house, with your guns.....i'll have food AND more protection.
Oh, and don't forget to bring a LIGHTER. hahahahaha I gots me PAH-LENTY of fire wood, to cook you with. lol

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

Good points but it costs and weighs as much as a firearm. May as well carry a .22lr.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Accuracy is relative to the other types of airguns. I lurk around an airgun forum and one of the divides in that community is between those who prefer PCP's and those who prefer springers (as they call them). Those who prefer springers do so because they are more of a challenge to shoot while the others are so accurate that shooting them becomes a bore. In a survival situation accuracy should trump everything else.

Definition of break barrel from airgundepot.com

Break barrel air rifles are rifles that use a spring powerplant to compress and air chamber. To cock the gun you simply "break the barrel" down (it swings on a hinge), load the pellet and break the barrel back up into position. Break barrel air rifles are one of the most common air rifles on the market. They are affordable and can produce power from 600 FPS all the way up to 1500 FPS.

Here is a little more info on them:
How spring piston rifles behave

Simply stated, breakbarrel spring guns are the most difficult to control. They may be just as accurate as underlevers and sidelevers, but they’re almost always more sensitive to the movement of the gun when it fires. That’s not to say that sidelevers and underlevers are not sensitive; but in comparison to breakbarrels, they’re less sensitive.

There comes a point (around $150) where spending more on an airgun just doesn't make sense. You'd be better off buying a 22 rifle and if that is not an option a crossbow.

edit on 10-5-2012 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join