It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to take the gun from the American public!

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb
reply to post by lacrimaererum

I have to admit I am a little surprised at how agressively people wish to defend their right to own a gun.
The majority of gun owners are not willing to give a milli-metre on this.

I'll give 9 mm or 7.62, take your pick.

what the hell. 9mm

thanks.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra
Instead of using an appeal to emotion I suggest you come up with some actual meat to back up your idea of gun bans. Until then I will direct you to a rather good article about gun bans and why they work/don't work in different areas.

www.isil.org...

I can even sum it up for you

If banning guns worked, Washington, DC and New York City would be the safest cities in the country. Since 1976, it's been illegal in Washington, DC to own any handguns or to keep any type of gun in your home unlocked and fully assembled. However, Washington, DC is the "murder capital of the United States."

New York City has had severe gun control laws since 1911, yet it also ranks among the most dangerous places in the country. In both cities, violent criminals can easily obtain the most deadly weapons on the streets within minutes.

Originally posted by lacrimaererum
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

we are supposed be becoming more educated, more aware, more enlightened, more understanding, more compassionate, more intelligent, better people?

And yet you look at no evidence as to gun bans working. You plea towards emotion by citing a handful of tragic crimes.

edit on 4/3/2012 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

I wish I could give you multiple stars. I think the exact same thing on this subject.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DZAG Wright
reply to post by AwakeinNM

No I've kicked doors with my Army unit and after ETSing and falling on bad times as the bad guy people on this board like to talk about.

No one is ever prepared...

If you're known to pack heat, you just get shot on sight...

(DUNNN DUUUUNNNNNNNNNN!)
NO ONE EXPECTS!! THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

Funny i thought you had to give them the chance to stay still incase they are not armed. So your unit would deny people their right to life just because you think they have a weapon on them? Isnt that what those shields are for in case they do get a shot off? If they do not draw its just murder. No sugar coating that if you did that you were a party to murder and should be arrested. Mayby we should report you to IA where you live at? Seriously though theres being cautious and then theres being facist. WHy keep giving Cops a bad name by living up to the sterotype?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Um....time to take CARS away from EVERYBODY then, by the same logic....
www.census.gov...

How about hambergers and fries, smoking, camping and general stupidity? You need to put that whole gun thing in perspective. Its a false flag used to push a fascist agenda:
top-10-list.org...

IN FACT, more guns often means LESS gun deaths, for some odd reason...
www.everydaynodaysoff.com...

How about shutting down hospitals:
www.medicalnewstoday.com...

Compare that to gun deaths:
www.statemaster.com...

Is there a real need to get rid of guns? Really? Shill?

Americans are slow to action, but have a rep for being brutal when they are finally encited. There is, by many estimates, a gun for every man, woman and child in this country...the last years have seen a heavy increase in ammo and gun sales. Those are just the ones tracked by the Fed. Many more are sold p2p and have no records. Guns represent a huge financial investment as well, average prices are between 3-900 bucks each. I think attempting to take them by force would unleash a bloodbath like no one has ever seen before. Not a good idea at all.

PS most of these places that people are being shot are places that have limitations or bans on firearms, churches, schools, governmnet buildings etc...they make easy targets for the shooters as they can be pretty sure that no one there will be able to defend themselves. I'll bet that things would have been very different in each case if the victims had been carrying as well. I'm just sayin.

edit on 4-4-2012 by PapaKrok because: spelling

edit on 4-4-2012 by PapaKrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

lacrimaererum----You need someone.... too take you to a gun range, so you can learn the art and finesse of the shooting sport's. You might come to appreciate the beauty and power of a fine gun in your hands. How finely balanced it feels, when you throw a fine double barreled shotgun or rifle to your shoulder. When you start practicing with a pistol, you will come to the realization, that you will need the nerves of a Zen master to properly shoot a pistol. Above all--- proper practice with a firearm---will give you confidence and knowledge, that you can safely handle a firearm in any situation; good or bad.

Be safe and shoot straight,

Erno86

edit on 4-4-2012 by Erno86 because: added a word

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I'm a US citizen and I don't personally own any guns. Most of my coworkers do, however and that puts me in the minority. I have a family with 3 kids at home and I do believe that if I had a gun at home there would be a better chance of it being used by a family member against another family member during an explosive argument than for home defense. Speaking of home defense, I would much rather have the ability to swing an aluminum bat at anyone who would try to do harm to my family than pulling a pistol and shooting it.

I have a sister whose son commited suicide with a rifle. He was a teen with temporary problems that he fixed with a permanent and family-scarring solution. Had the gun not been in the house, he may not have taken his own life but we will never know.

I don't want guns forcibly taken from American citizens. I would much prefer some time in the hopefully not-too-distant future where they wouldn't feel the need to own them anymore and give them up on their own.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Its not the firearm you need to fear, its the person behind the trigger. A gun is just a piece of molded metal and polymer. I believe that everyone that buys a gun needs to go for a psych exam first before being allowed to own one.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by juggernaut0907
Its not the firearm you need to fear, its the person behind the trigger. A gun is just a piece of molded metal and polymer. I believe that everyone that buys a gun needs to go for a psych exam first before being allowed to own one.

I would agree with the psych exam, but I know if a person really wants to they can lie their way out of those things and come out sane. My ex-wife did it when she wanted custody of her son back. One day shes bi-polar, borderline personality, PTSD, and nuts. The next day, shes clear headed and sane and just fine.

I am glad to be an american. My job requires alot of stops in high crime places and high profile places such as banks and govt buildings as well as medical offices with million dollar equipment. I am never alone on these jobs, I usually have my friend .38 special or my 9mm with me, and they are great company.

Thank you forefathers for making sure we kept our inalienable God given rights until the breaking day.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by sting130u

Thank you forefathers for making sure we kept our inalienable God given rights until the breaking day.

Yes it's times like these I am very grateful to live in the great US of A.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Is the OP from the UK? Maybe they want to try another revolutionary war but can't unless we're unarmed.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I have my fathers deer rifle bought by him new after returning from the war. He spent a year as a POW. I have my uncles rifle also and these two guns will be handed down to a family member that I know will keep them in my family. They aren't worth much but are priceless to me. I have harmed noone and I won't unless I have to. No law should govern possession of family heirlooms if the person has not committed any serious crime. I would also use these to protect our country if I had to, not against our people here.......Unless they decided to come in and steal my possessions or harm my family.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
[mor

I just find it to hard keeping a cop in my glove box.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Listen I'm going to black and white it here..

Criminals are criminals because they break the law..... So wtf good will it do to write a law restricting / banning guns if criminals don't follow the law anyway...

That's like making it illegal for lions to roar or mice eating cheese....

It will do absolutely nothing...

And by the way you cannot just walk into some random gun shop and expect to buy an automatic weapon... You have any idea how difficult it is to acquire an automatic weapon (legally)!?

Sure criminals will acquire them illegally... but then they don't give a crap about law anyway.

We have seen a substantial decrease in violent crime rates since the CCW permits started being issued in masse... There is a reason for that...

Criminals respect their mortality... They don't want to die...

edit on 4-4-2012 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by TINYgiant
I'm a US citizen and I don't personally own any guns. Most of my coworkers do, however and that puts me in the minority. I have a family with 3 kids at home and I do believe that if I had a gun at home there would be a better chance of it being used by a family member against another family member during an explosive argument than for home defense. Speaking of home defense, I would much rather have the ability to swing an aluminum bat at anyone who would try to do harm to my family than pulling a pistol and shooting it.

I have a sister whose son commited suicide with a rifle. He was a teen with temporary problems that he fixed with a permanent and family-scarring solution. Had the gun not been in the house, he may not have taken his own life but we will never know.

I don't want guns forcibly taken from American citizens. I would much prefer some time in the hopefully not-too-distant future where they wouldn't feel the need to own them anymore and give them up on their own.

There will never be a time where we wouldn't feel the need to own guns. Unless Jesus comes back and the sheep are sleeping with the lions and the people are completely at peace, there is not a chance. Someone dangerous is always lurking, and thats why we need to protect ourselves.

A gun is not the only option for suicide. It sounds like he was determined, and if you had stopped the rifle scenario it would have played out in a much different way. Pills, carbon monoxide, hanging, police murder-suicide, drunken driving, etc.

If a person wants to kill themselves, they are going to do it regardless of the availability of a weapon. They just need to opportunity, and while a weapon gives them an opportunity, it would not be their only opportunity.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Let's check the facts...

en.wikipedia.org...

If we compare the rates of intentional homicides, by country, the US is down on the list friends.

In fact, there are 33 countries beating us....including the chart-toppers (Honduras, El Salvador, Venezuela, Belize, Jamaica, Bahamas, etc.)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ArnoldNonymous

Or maybe it's time to colonize the UK?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

I have called for the stars and flags to be removed from this site in the past.

I'm not at all surprised that one who wants to disarm us would also want to take away our ATS vote.

If you know some way of removing all stars, flags and whatever else is there from my account please inform me.

That's easy, just delete your account.

The majority of posts consist of;

'from my cold dead hands'

'cars kill more people'

'if you take our guns only the criminals will have them'

'they government will never get us if we have guns'

oh yeah; forgot this gem too 'guns dont kill people, people kill people' (i'm guessing you are made recite that when you are buying your gun)

It doesn't amount to much. Then of course there is folk who could quote you pages of wise words from famous people. People we never met or never knew , yet somehow people think it is important to quote their wise words years and years after they left the planet.

I feel left out! How about the stats I have posted, and that you seem to have ignored.

Here they are again, along with some that I haven't mentioned yet.

Murders per capita:
Australia is ranked number 18 (at 17.007 per 1 million people)
New Zealand is ranked number 29 (at 5.818 per 1 million people)
Ireland is ranked number 30 (at 5.464 per 1 million people)
Spain is ranked number 37 (at 0.781 per 1 million people)
Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States are not among the top 37.

Assault victims ranked by percentage of population:
The United Kingdom is ranked number 2
Australia and New Zealand are both ranked number 3
Canada is ranked number 5
The United States is ranked at number 9, as are Sweden and Belgium.
Ireland is not among the top 20.

Rapes per capita:
New Zealand is ranked number 2
Ireland is ranked number 10
Canada is ranked number 44
The United Kingdom and the United States are not among the top 50.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Time to take the gun from the American public!

μολὼν λαβέ!

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by sting130u

Originally posted by TINYgiant

There will never be a time where we wouldn't feel the need to own guns. Unless Jesus comes back and the sheep are sleeping with the lions and the people are completely at peace, there is not a chance. Someone dangerous is always lurking, and thats why we need to protect ourselves.

A gun is not the only option for suicide. It sounds like he was determined, and if you had stopped the rifle scenario it would have played out in a much different way. Pills, carbon monoxide, hanging, police murder-suicide, drunken driving, etc.

If a person wants to kill themselves, they are going to do it regardless of the availability of a weapon. They just need to opportunity, and while a weapon gives them an opportunity, it would not be their only opportunity.

Agreed. Death by cop or stepping in front of the TRAX train is on the rise here in SLC. I have several past clients that chose death by 18 wheeler as well.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321
reply to post by METACOMET

The Swiss are a good example of sensible gun laws working, as are many of the Scandinavian countries. Those people seem to get along fine with very little gun crime or mass murder on a regular basis.. With the exception of what happened in Norway last year. Maybe there are deeper social problems within the U.S, particularly amongst young people..

Well our founding fathers must have thought it was important enough that they made it our 2nd Amendment, so that we could defend ourselves against foreign or domestic.
That was a very long time ago, and a very different world.... Can't you see that?
edit on 3-4-2012 by Atzil321 because: (no reason given)

Actually if Americans stuck strictly to he Constitution and not let it be eroded like we have, this country would be in a much better place than it is now.

top topics

<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join