It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to take the gun from the American public!

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by PapaKrok

Funny as hell.

A self-righteous ego-maniacal power-monger might not pass a test to own a gun but he can order the invasion of a nation and the carpet bombing of a village.

Reminds me of this: A First Rate Madness: Uncovering the Links Between Mental Illness and Leadership

That book largely says the exact opposite of what you are trying to say.

Most great leaders are abnormal, while the worst ones are the "politically correct" ones.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Why doesn't everyone just get pepper spray and tasers?

It doesn't take a gun. Just a window of a few minutes to get away.........

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by BellaSabre

Don't bring pepper spray or a taser to a gun fight.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by BellaSabre

It does take a gun.

Cause wounded people run slower.

If we are going to get rid of something then why not get rid of alcohol and cars? Combined they kill more people than guns with no problem.
edit on 4-4-2012 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

except that there is about 10% of the population that pepper spray and tasers dont phase.

Nope, ill stick with trusty Mr. 12ga.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Not to mention that pepper spray and tasters don't have any range. I couldn't imagine it being very affective against an arm.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Tell me how I pose a risk. I was raised and choose to live in area's where hunting, fishing and target shooting to keep our skills honed are part of the culture. I keep a quality hunting rifle in case the need arises and I need the food to supplement my income. I, as most hunters do not engage in trophy hunting. I kill only to eat and feed my household. In fact I don't hunt now as I don't need to. When I do though and if I do, I can feed multiple families in hard times with just a few hunting trips a year.

I have a single Revolver I use as Bear protection. We have an animal here, the Brown Bear (Grizzly) which is a pure Carnivore. If they attack it is to kill and eat you. They end up in confrontations with Humans all the time here. Only a genuine fool hikes or backpacks without Bear protection. Brown Bears are not cuddly little creatures. Bear Mace is a placebo. All it will do is anger a Brown Bear and guarantee you die.

Now I pose no risk at all to other Humans. So why should my Rights be taken away?

It's culture. It's the Gangs and Inner City violence. It's not the guns.

Those who want to be honest with themselves need to research the murders to understand where they come from.

I mentioned Idaho before because I'm originally from there and know the State well. Nearly the entire population owns guns and even so the murder rate is extremely low. Why? It's the culture. Pockets of Inner City violence and Gangs are stopped before they start. People like that tend to not go there and if they are there they quickly leave.

This is a far more complex issue than simply taking guns away from innocent owners to punish them for the actions of criminals.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Would you ever try to pepper spray a bear?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

You're a disinformation snob, how dare you try and shoot down the constitutional rights of the 2nd amendment right to bear arms? You are definitely not welcome here disinform-agent...

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TerribleTeam2

My gun protects me and my family from tyranny in government first, and from criminals, last.

It is unlikely that I will ever protect myself from crime with a weapon. It is also unlikely that
I will ever protect myself from tyranny with a weapon.

But the simple knowledge that I possess a gun acts as a deterrent to both tyranny and crime;

When a large portion of the population in an area are known to have guns, crime decreases.
This is fact backed by statistics.

When a large portion of the population of a country are known to have guns, that country's
leaders will only act to subdue the population when the guns have been removed.
This is fact based on historical evidence.

History repeats itself, those who do not learn from it are DOOMED to repeat.

I learned....

edit on 4-4-2012 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
reply to post by newcovenant

You wonder why people get the wrong opinion of rednecks?

Actually no. I don't wonder at all. The media loves to paint stereotypes that are anything but the truth. And folks like yourself buy into them hook, line, and sinker.

I think you'll find with just a modicum of research that politicians with the authority to declare war and "police actions" have murdered more humans exponentially than any armed citizen ever has.

The older I get the more I appreciate rednecks.

Not the movie stereotypes that coasters think are real either. A real redneck loves his family and will defend it with his life. A real redneck provides for his family without having to steal or cheat anyone. A real redneck can fix his own vehicle, often without a trip to NAPA.

If he can make shine that's just icing on the cupcake.

You know where you stand with a redneck too. He won't smile to your face while stabbing you in the back like a coaster will.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by swan001

You are a dsinformation agent?

Many on ATS have said I am.

What is your e-mail?

Do you really think a "Paid Government Disinfo Agent" in good standing would give you the correct one?

I had to give you a star for that one!

See ya,
Milt

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by captainnotsoobvious

The rest of the world is just fine without their populous being heavily armed.

Not according to this.
Do you see the United States on that list?

See ya,
Milt

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
Come and take them, skippy.

I'll give you the ammo first. Think I am kidding? Try me.

What you are seeing is the result of years of anti-gun lies and rhetoric, making people afraid of guns. Looks like it worked on you.

So people don't carry them for protection like many should. Businesses don't allow guns on their property as a condition of employment, rendering their employees helpless to defend themselves when some disgruntled ex-employee saunters through the front door to melee on their former boss and whoever else happens to be around.

Guns aren't allowed on college campuses, rendering the students helpless to defend themselves when some half-baked student cracks under pressure and decides to take it out on the people around him.

Sorry to say you are going to get shouted down and schooled. Brace yourself.

edit on 3-4-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

I've given up on the "gun debate" -- basically, because there are bigger issues. The BANK is going to ruin my life before any gun-wielding Government will. The corporations that keep raising the prices of things we HAVE to buy, hide behind the government they own, and help elect politicians who say "you can't trust government" then prove it, and then try and solve the problem they helped to create by giving more power to the corporation that sponsored them. Rinse and repeat until BP tells the President how he's going to solve their problems in the Gulf.

So, whether people have guns or not -- things are going to fall apart because nobody with the power to bring Justice to Wall Street or over-powerful corporations, is going to do anything but blame whomever doesn't donate to their bank accounts.

>> But that said -- the ABOVE rant, is probably a good reason why it's pretty darn scary that some people are not screened out of the gun owning process.

You have more rights to bring a Gun to a public hearing, than you do to vote -- some company can take that away from you without proof, based on some statistical speculation that your name sounds like a convict in another state. You can shoot a dog and go to jail -- but you can shoot a kid and never see a court room.

I'm sure there is some huge need for recreation and a feeling of power for some adult children to have lots of Guns and pretend they are going to "defend their castle from the Gub'ment." How are you going to defend your job, or your bank account?

We just had 7 kids shot at a Korean religious school -- and the answer is to weaponize all the kids? Do they keep the Glock in a hollowed out bible, or hang it below the cross when they chant their Hail Mary's?

>> I just hope the poster above doesn't live in my neighborhood, but since I'm in a Conservative neighborhood, there probably are a few people who get misty eyed about guns. Such people are on my "smile and no sudden movements" list.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Gee guys. I didn't say I oppose gun ownership. I don't. Just saying, sometimes guns are used when the others would suffice.

Surely those who hunt should own guns. I would hate to see what would happen in this country if they made gun ownership illegal. But as for me, I'll stick with my little doo-dads.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by rival
reply to post by TerribleTeam2

My gun protects me and my family from tyranny in government first, and from criminals, last.

It is unlikely that I will ever protect myself from crime with a weapon. It is also unlikely that
I will ever protect myself from tyranny with a weapon.

But the simple knowledge that I possess a gun acts as a deterrent to both tyranny and crime;

When a large portion of the population in an area are known to have guns, crime decreases.
This is fact backed by statistics.

When a large portion of the population of a country are known to have guns, that country's
leaders will only act to subdue the population when the guns have been removed.
This is fact based on historical evidence.

History repeats itself, those who do not learn from it are DOOMED to repeat.

I learned....

edit on 4-4-2012 by rival because: (no reason given)

Did you NOT NOTICE the last 4 decades while our government became MORE corporate and started tearing your country apart while you held your deterrent?

I appreciate the self awareness that the Gun may never do all the great things heroic gun wielding people hope to do -- Bin Laden, for instance, is already allegedly dead pending DNA evidence and someone we could actually trust telling us he is. So THAT gun fantasy is gone.

The Supreme Court decided that George Bush's right to be President superseded the right of the people to decide who got elected when they stopped the recount in 2000. They said "money is speech and corporations are people" in the Citizens United case -- and the media stood dumb and silent while Clarence Thomas' wife got over $70,000 for 3 months of "consulting" for Citizens United -- which was only one slush fund away from Koch brothers bank accounts..

We went on two wars for bogus reasons -- Congress did NOT vote on it -- they weaseled out with a provision that Bush failed to meet -- but hey, we all forgot about that, didn't we?

Obama signs the NDAA that allows anyone not a citizen to have anything done to them as long as magic words of "terrorist suspect" are spoken. The following bill, passed with bi-partisan votes, allowed Magic Words to make anyone a NON-citizen, thus totally bypassing the Constitution, and all the laws meant to protect our rights.

All that time -- America had more hand guns than the rest of the world.

Do any NRA fans see where I'm going with this? Sometimes I wish I were you guys, so I could have some false hope -- maybe a lucky charm that kept away Tigers. As of course, all these hand guns have obviously kept America safe from Tigers. But not from corruption, tyranny, loss of jobs, and loss of rights.

I'm not going to force my 9-year-old to give up his favorite blanket because it might lead to him compensating by owning a gun. No need to give up one false sense of security for another.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by BellaSabre

No worries, if you choose not to own a gun thats your choice too.

Sorry.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

So in all the shootings you posted, how many were with guns that were legal and registered? You ever been to a country where they've outlawed guns for the people? It works really well! Nobody has any guns, unless of course your a criminal and you get one anyways, becasue what criminal obeys the law? So now we have all the criminals who still have guns, and guess what people are still getting shot. Why don't we get rid of free speech and freedom of religion while we're at it as well.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by captainnotsoobvious
reply to post by BenReclused

Jazes, gun people, not too bright a lot of times... that page you linked to was EUROPEAN statistics... I bet even you know the US isn't in Europe.

Here's a proper list, which DOES include the US and guess what... it's rate is much higher than in Europe.

Surprise surprise.

en.wikipedia.org...

US murder rate 4.8
Ireland 1.25
UK 1.23

The closest country to the US is Thailand at 5.3.

C'mon gun nuts, be honest at least.

Um hmm... Here's the link in the post you responded to. Turkey is number 1 and is not in Europe. That link shows ALL murders, and not just intentional one's.

It amazes me that those that harp the most about honesty are often the most dishonest of all. You demonstrate that to be true once again. Thanks!

See ya,
Milt

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Not to mention that pepper spray and tasters don't have any range. I couldn't imagine it being very affective against an arm.

Tasers won't work if you have baggy clothes on either. They train people to fight after being pepper sprayed. Sorry its not as simple as just making guns illegal. #, drugs are illegal, and you can go virutally anywhere and find them. Would it really be that different with guns?

new topics

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join