It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you watch Gladiatorial Death matches?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I think it would be a deterrent to war if leaders of nations had to fight gladiatorial death matches against each other before they could be allowed to declare war. If they can't get along with each other and settle their differences in a diplomatic way, they should deal with each other directly instead of sending poor kids to go fight their battles for them. I'm sure that would also keep a lot of jerks out of politics too.

edit on 29-2-2012 by The_Phantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

sonnny..
Yep that show has all kinds of twists and turns and back stabbing

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Phantom
I think it would be a deterrent to war if leaders of nations had to fight gladiatorial death matches against each other before they could be allowed to declare war. If they can't get along with each other and settle their differences in a diplomatic way, they should deal with each other directly instead of sending poor kids to go fight their battles for them. I'm sure that would also keep a lot of jerks out of politics too.

edit on 29-2-2012 by The_Phantom because: (no reason given)

The_Phantom
This is the first time ive seen this idea put forth..That would put a whole new dynamic on politics and war wouldn't it..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1
reply to post by sonnny1

sonnny..

Dear sugarcookie1,

Perhaps I did not understand you, you are aware of a show about gladiators and know what is on it, did you watch the show?
edit on 29-2-2012 by AQuestion because: mistake input

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Well, I rather enjoy UFC but the whole "life on the line" thing kinda destroys sportsmanship. But men killing each other for money and fame... errr probably not
. Be a great way to put Vets to work though. (joke)
edit on 29-2-2012 by Canned2na because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Originally posted by sugarcookie1
reply to post by sonnny1

sonnny..

Dear sugarcookie1,

Perhaps I did not understand you, you are aware of a show about gladiators and know what is on it, did you watch the show?
edit on 29-2-2012 by AQuestion because: mistake input

AQuestion
Yes i watched about 30 mins of it but i get to hear about the show all the time from a friend of mine that just loves the show ..Its far to bloody for me but the show is based on the real history of Rome and spartacus ..But they took the show to far with all the violence and blood ..Its a very popular show..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Canned2na
Well, I rather enjoy UFC but the whole "life on the line" thing kinda destroys sportsmanship. But men killing each other for money and fame... errr probably not

come again? didn't catch that last line

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Canned2na

Canned2na
Thanks for posting and telling us your view..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Lol lets put up our yellow ribbons and cheer the genocide of a million brown innocent civilians; children, elderly, men, women, pets, etc half a world away. Oh, that is fine but two consenting men battling to the death is too much. The hypocrisy is strong with many.

If two men want to fight to the death, then so be it. Fights that torture animals such as bull fighting should be outlawed worldwide though, same as dog and rooster fights. Animals do not consent to the torture. The men do. Now, if murder is to truly be banned, then the military should be dissolved, police should be imprisoned if they kill anyone and capital punishment stopped immediately.

No more false dichotomies or blatant hypocrisy!

Im putting money on the secutores vs.retiarii!

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I would watch gladiator fights. If they were a test of how much a warrior a man was and not just 2 barbarians going at each other with broken bottles.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
In actuality the Roman arenas were not as blood-bathed as Spartacus makes it out to be. Sure there were executions and beast-fights, but can you imagine the cost it took to train up a gladiator? They were highly valued, and in their own right, celebrities of Roman times. Much like today, kids all want to meet their sports heroes, and their moms want to bed em! ;D

Typical gladiator battles were to first blood, rarely death. Of course you are entering a fight with pointy objects being swung about. Accidents happened.

Another thing: In season 1 of the show (the only good one IMO, we miss you Andy!) Spartacus' good friend Varo was a free Roman citizen who 'sold himself' for a time to be a gladiator. That was common, as was un-indentured freemen competing for the money. Cause the money was good.

ETA: No frackin way would I watch real deathmatches. The idea is disgusting and perverse, and would destroy my soul.
edit on 29-2-2012 by blamethegreys because: ETA

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
People seem to feed off death if the crowd cheers. Instincts tell all of us to kill at some point in our lives so I guess these kinds of things satisfy that small and dying illogical instincts.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopy1978
Lol lets put up our yellow ribbons and cheer the genocide of a million brown innocent civilians; children, elderly, men, women, pets, etc half a world away. Oh, that is fine but two consenting men battling to the death is too much. The hypocrisy is strong with many.

If two men want to fight to the death, then so be it. Fights that torture animals such as bull fighting should be outlawed worldwide though, same as dog and rooster fights. Animals do not consent to the torture. The men do. Now, if murder is to truly be banned, then the military should be dissolved, police should be imprisoned if they kill anyone and capital punishment stopped immediately.

No more false dichotomies or blatant hypocrisy!

Im putting money on the secutores vs.retiarii!
If police kill somone to save another life what then?

by brown inocent civilians your not thinking that every individual the americans and british kill in the middle east is just some guy trying to live his life? Honestly many of them are just as decedent and depraved as any individual from a first world nation.

If two individuals wish to kill each other I am fine with it. Gladiator battles in rome didn't always end in a death.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Dear sugarcookie1,

In your OP you said

Lets talk about this and please keep religion and trolling out of this..peace,sugarcookie1

You then explained how you had watched a show that was about gladiators for half an hour; but, had praised it earlier for having many twists and turns. If you limit the answers you allow to those who cannot explain their spiritual reason for disagreeing with such shows then you will have more people as a percentage saying that they would watch such a thing. If your intent is to prove to yourself that most people would watch such shows then your survey is not a representative sampling.

We know that people will watch people fight to the death because we have a history of it; but, most would not attend such events. Many will attend one even and come to learn what it really means and not attend anymore. There are many veterans on this site and I bet that they would not want to watch true gladiators, they have seen it and know how horrible it is. People fear death and wonder what it is like, they think that by seeing it they are preparing themselves for it; but, most deaths are peaceful, just ask nurses. Peace.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Have you guys heard of Ultimate Tazer Ball??

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Nick_X

That looks like it was thought up by the guys of jackass

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by BulletShogun

Pointing out the irrationality of rationalizing murder. If a cop kills someone in self defense or to save someone, it is still murder. Thou shalt not kill and all that jazz. Im all for gladiator battles. Im also very anti war and anti authoritarian yet cant stand hypocrisy when it benefits the elite.

We cant look at the exception when it comes to the rule such as wars of empire commiting genocide and power tripping cops murdering civilians versus the extremely small situations when saving the innocent comes into perspective. Same goes for the death penalty. Gray areas are what corrupt politics and half truths are all about. We either legalize or ban, but no bs hypocritical garbage like murder being ok if the government orders you to do it.

Either close guantanamo or fix the circus maximus!

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Only a few would attend and then not return. Are you serious? Tell that to the rabid amount of nascar fans that go for the crashes. Tell that to the millions of drivers that slow down to a crawl when passing by a wreck with the hope of catching a glimpse of blood and mangled human carcass on the road. You think the ignorant, unwashed roman peasantry was any different than today's ignorant, unwashed peasantry? People may be sporting iphones instead of fibulae (roman brooches) yet human passions remain the exact same.

Sad but true.

"We are but shadows and dust, Maximus! SHADOWS AND DUST!"

- Proximo (Gladiator movie)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Snoopy1978

Dear Snoopy1978,

You think the ignorant, unwashed roman peasantry was any different than today's ignorant, unwashed peasantry? People may be sporting iphones instead of fibulae (roman brooches) yet human passions remain the exact same.

And therein lies the accusation of us all; but, it is false. We don't all go and most don't go. The great unwashed masses, are you of the one percent? It was the one percent that began the gladiators, it was the washed elite that put man against man to the death, after having turned them into slaves that is. Let us also be fair to the gladiators, they were captured, enslaved and given the choice between torture or fighting where they had a chance. Were they really evil even if they were not good? Most humans are sheep, simple and not seeking to harm and influenced by pain, that does not make them evil, it is merely weakness.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Dear sugarcookie1,

In your OP you said

Lets talk about this and please keep religion and trolling out of this..peace,sugarcookie1

You then explained how you had watched a show that was about gladiators for half an hour; but, had praised it earlier for having many twists and turns. If you limit the answers you allow to those who cannot explain their spiritual reason for disagreeing with such shows then you will have more people as a percentage saying that they would watch such a thing. If your intent is to prove to yourself that most people would watch such shows then your survey is not a representative sampling.

We know that people will watch people fight to the death because we have a history of it; but, most would not attend such events. Many will attend one even and come to learn what it really means and not attend anymore. There are many veterans on this site and I bet that they would not want to watch true gladiators, they have seen it and know how horrible it is. People fear death and wonder what it is like, they think that by seeing it they are preparing themselves for it; but, most deaths are peaceful, just ask nurses. Peace.

I'm just telling you what i have been told about the show it is interesting but like i said im not into the blood shead but i like the history of the gladiators infact i did a thread on this very subject..www.abovetopsecret.com...
I did not want the thread to turn into a religious thing with posts of bible paths ive seen it happen..
I don't have to ask nurses about death i face it every day of my life i have CF ad i don't fear death....
Im sure there are many veterans that would have no want to watch true gladiators for that reason they have already seen it..peace,sugarcookie

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join