It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you watch Gladiatorial Death matches?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by sugarcookie1

what would you do if someone you loved came home and announced they weee going to do ir ?
\

ignorant_ape
I would sit them down and have a long talk with them over it ..But in the end its up to them isn't it? I don't know anyone that i love that would come to me with this anyhow my friends and family aren't into violence of any kind and im glad for that..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by listerofsmeg
in a movie it's ok to watch it.
but in real life it would sicken me if people today still did this and made money from it.

listerofsmeg
I don't think we will ever have to worry about this ever happening in this day an age there is no way it would ever be broadcasted on TV..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1
Lets face it its never going to happen ...

I wouldn't be so sure... there was a time i worked in television bizznizz,
visiting Cannes as much as possible :-)
during one of those events i was offered a format called "torture tv"
i almost puked
i left the bizznizz

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
im not worried, just thinking in "what ifs".
but then again you never know, many governments thinks its acceptable to kill their own and this day and age won't last forever.
we can only hope that even in dark times, humans will never fall that low again.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeverSleepingEyes

Originally posted by sugarcookie1
Lets face it its never going to happen ...

I wouldn't be so sure... there was a time i worked in television bizznizz,
visiting Cannes as much as possible :-)
during one of those events i was offered a format called "torture tv"
i almost puked
i left the bizznizz

Your right i probley jumped to conclusions to fast you never know do ya?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by listerofsmeg
im not worried, just thinking in "what ifs".
but then again you never know, many governments thinks its acceptable to kill their own and this day and age won't last forever.
we can only hope that even in dark times, humans will never fall that low again.

Well lets hope not ..Its to sacrey to think about..sugarcookie1

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by bastardo
reply to post by ofhumandescent

I understand where you are comming from, but you have to realize that violence is part of our nature, and that there are times and places where it is warranted. Just because someone is intrigued by or good at violence, doesn´t mean he is a repulsive person.

They are often just as loving as others. If all good people didn´t practise their violence bad people would completely take over.

I absolutely would not think it´s morally ok to have death matches tv, but I´m man enough to admit that I would watch it.

Of course you would. We are all fascinated by what it would have been like in those days, watching men decapitate each other, or maybe take a sword through the gut, or perhaps get mauled by lions on chains.

It's the horror factor, like a car wreck. You want to look away, but somehow, you just can't.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
reply to post by bastardo

It´s called bigotry, if you feel that it is name calling on my part please run and tell mods, so that someone else can take care of it.

That's one helluva way to make friends with one of the most respected members at ATS...

No matter. Your choice.

If I may...

big·ot [big-uht]
noun
a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.
Link: dictionary.reference.com...

I would submit that you showed far more intolerance to ideas that didn't immediately mesh with your own.
Her words in no way showed bigotry... merely a difference of view of things. We all do that here. If we didn't, there's be no point in any of this.

I am a little surprised you weren't gigged by the mods for manner and decorum.

Hope things improve for you.

Right.....mmmm, but that person admitted that I was right and stood corrected, so I am not going to explain to you why it actually was bigotry, and I sure don´t need any definitions from you.

I don´t care at all even if this was the most popular member ever to log on, should I? Again, says more about you if you think that is a factor.

I´m pretty content with where I am at, so don´t need your hope either.

And please run to your moddy and tell about the big boo boo.
edit on 29-2-2012 by bastardo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Lets all be nice no need to get heated up over a thead

edit on 29-2-2012 by sugarcookie1 because: oops

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

I would only watch if the combatants were liberals, but then again, if they were they would probably just buy each other flowers. Other than that, no I wouldn't watch.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I would, yeah.

At the moment we either have the fantasy world of the Spartacus shows or the sports world of pro wrestling and MMA.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I like it very much

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime

I would only watch if the combatants were liberals, but then again, if they were they would probably just buy each other flowers. Other than that, no I wouldn't watch.

OptimusSubprime
Thanks for posting and leting us know your views on this subject..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by curious7
I would, yeah.

At the moment we either have the fantasy world of the Spartacus shows or the sports world of pro wrestling and MMA.

From the looks of it alot of people would watch this kinda show so your not alone.peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I dont know how many of you have watched someone die a violent death, but i assure you that watching is a sickening experience.
I think like most people, i'd be curious to watch but i think only truely sick people would be compelled to become fans and follow.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceCowboy78
I dont know how many of you have watched someone die a violent death, but i assure you that watching is a sickening experience.
I think like most people, i'd be curious to watch but i think only truely sick people would be compelled to become fans and follow.

SpaceCowboy
I've seen many people die but never a violent death even watching one that is expected is hard to take ..I'm sure many would watch but many im sure would say never again..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

I was talking with a friend the other night and we got into the subject of gladiatorial style death matches ..

If lets say satellite TV pay for view had for one night only armed or unarmed fights to the death between men for money and power..would you watch it?

You got to ask yourself who would be stupid enough or what is going on that they will actually fight to the death on satellite TV in gladiatorial matches.

Even in ancient Rome, the gladiators were not there by there own choices, but they were not all slaves as everybody thinks. In fact those that won and got good at it were the rock stars of the day, and they lived more lavish lives with more perks then the average ancient roman citizen, after all even back then it was a big money maker show.

And if your prize/gladiator is not in the right mind, or has totally nothing to fight for or look forward to other then eventual death then he just wont fight, or put up much of a fight. There is only so much sheer primal life or death situations and instincts will get you to.

Even in most warrior cultures in the past there were very few who were willing to go at it to the death, even in some of the more extreme ones such as the samurai era in japan, very few samurais actually went out of there way to challenge and test there mettle in duels to the death just because they wanted to and could. And a lot of those duels were fought over honer and mostly slights to said honor.

I dont think it's a very realistic thing, unless the contestants were forced into it and had no other options. I don't see even the most crazed of peoples doing this even if it was for obscene amounts of moneys. But to answer your question, no I would not watch it because of the above reasons. And because i draw limits into what I consider sport or entertainment, and I have seen some bloody sports and fights that would make people cringe, in fact I could probably link them.

But since you don't seem the type to like that sort of thing I wont. One thing though all that fought in those shows and competition were there of there own free will, sure there reasons were all different but in the end they were not forced there and it was just sport competition. If it was to the death like in gladiator style, then its a totally different thing all together. So no I would not watch it even if it was interesting.

But I bet you there are plenty of people that would, after all this sort of thing is embedded into our makeup, that's why every time you see a scuffle go down at random somewhere on the streets or even a dispute or argument it will always draw a crowd of onlookers. It's just something from our more animal and primordial past that draws us to it, and to keep watching.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
This topic reminds me of a movie I watched.
A pretty terrible movie, but an interesting and similar concept to this topic.

Basically, there were maybe 8 people who willingly signed up for a show involving Russian Roulette.
Everyone except the loser would win a large amount of cash, and there was only one loser.

Anyway the biggest thing about the movie is that they really were raking in the veiwers and ratings because almost everybody has a morbid sense of entertainment. People love violence.

It's on TV, movies, sporting events, motor sports, news and basically everywere you look.

Anyway, at the end everyone was kindof in 2 minds, on one hand the winners won, the Producers got the most ratings ever and the show was a massive hit, but someone died and there was some guilt from all other parties.

Can't remember what it was called, it was pretty low budget, but it starred Eva Mendes.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Text I think I would enjoy such a show. We could start by letting the prisoners become Gladiators. The reward, being left on an island somewhere in the Pacific. But of course once the prison system is reduced, The government would be only too glad to insure it was refilled with criminals. The question being, what would become a crime next to refill said prisons? I agree with another poster...The Running Man. The human race has always enjoyed such entertainment, all the way to the begining. Only now there is a larger profit involved. If this were to become reality, I can see many who would watch, pay to watch. But then again, I can also see those that would oppose it become criminals themselves for stating it is wrong. And thus adding to the game of life and death inside an arena for the rest of the world to watch and place wagers on who might survive. Interesting question you have posed.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join