It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you watch Gladiatorial Death matches?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

I understand where you are comming from, but you have to realize that violence is part of our nature, and that there are times and places where it is warranted. Just because someone is intrigued by or good at violence, doesn´t mean he is a repulsive person.

They are often just as loving as others. If all good people didn´t practise their violence bad people would completely take over.

I absolutely would not think it´s morally ok to have death matches tv, but I´m man enough to admit that I would watch it.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Nope...Never...Not a chance.

I cannot watch anything bloody, violent or gruesome and never could.

If the gloom and doomers are right and society is getting ready to crumble... I'm in big trouble I suppose.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I have seen the advertisement for a show on cable tv about a thousand different ways to die. I guess the show reenacts different circumstances of people dying , wether it be an accident , suicide or murder. This is right along the lines of watching gladiators with a modern twist .

I find this so reprehensible but am not surprised given today's society has for the most part replaced bad for good and good for bad. Evil permeates modern society and we will probably go the way of the Romans unless we fix our moral compass.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

If they involved bankers, lawyers,CEO"s, politicians you know, real criminals then YEAH I would.
Otherwise no.

Thanks for your view on the subject but your a bit off topic..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

The thread is about gladiators not law enforcement officers and wall street bankers but i think many would share your views..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by bastardo

It´s called bigotry, if you feel that it is name calling on my part please run and tell mods, so that someone else can take care of it.

That's one helluva way to make friends with one of the most respected members at ATS...

No matter. Your choice.

If I may...

big·ot [big-uht]
noun
a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.
Link: dictionary.reference.com...

I would submit that you showed far more intolerance to ideas that didn't immediately mesh with your own.
Her words in no way showed bigotry... merely a difference of view of things. We all do that here. If we didn't, there's be no point in any of this.

I am a little surprised you weren't gigged by the mods for manner and decorum.

Hope things improve for you.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by NeverSleepingEyes

NeverSleepingEyes
I still have my TV i enjoy watching documentaries on ancient history but if i didn't have the TV i agree id get allot more done..
I'm not into violence and blood shead..The reason for the topic was over a friend of mine that was out and we got into a conversation about what if they brought back for one night on pay per view a gladiator death match i said at first that it would not be watched and he said it would be because people like violence then i thought about this and he is right people would pay money to watch something that disgusting ..
Lets face it its never going to happen and i hope it never does but im surprised at how many people would watch this kind of violence..thanks for posting,sugarcookie1

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam
I wouldn't watch and I'd do my best to get the station license revoked for any station that aired such immoral, unethical and purely evil pandering.

Boycotting advertisers would also be on my agenda.

I agree and im sure many people would do the same thing

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

Interesting question. I was watching an interesting documentary of photos and people from all over the world shot by National Geographic or some such photographers which I plan to share here today if I can make sure it was not already posted.

Within that were some shots of 2 obscure and little known tribes who live out in the jungle together. They gather for a once yearly custom or ritual of fighting with sticks. It is all the men gathering together and fighting with sticks. Not to the death but the fighting does get pretty brutal and the photographer himself described the fights as gladiatorial.

An interesting component of the regularly yearly fighting was that it helped the 2 tribes settle and make up for existing rivalries between the two tribes and essentially this manner of fighting once a year in a planned setting helped the 2 tribes maintain peace the remainder of the year.

If I can locate the video I will post it here in the thread because it was a fascinating account. You have to watch the whole video to get to the part I am referring to because I cannot locate the exact time it appears. It is a great watch though. People grilling up spiders and what not.

From the icy Arctic to Africa's dense jungles - and the mountain tops of Mongolia to the deep waters of the Pacific - the BBC series Human Planet has explored mankind's incredible relationship with nature. Accompanying the film crews was photographer Timothy Allen. His stunning still images captured unique glimpses of people living in the world's most extreme environments. Take a look at some of them, and listen to him explain how he snapped the most arresting shots. www.bbc.co.uk...

No. I would not watch.

To me, fights staged like this would be no different than WWW, IDOL or the rest of those competitions except somebody dies. I don't care who is the best, the brightest, the strongest, the most beautiful, or even who is most talented or capable of survival. The world is in a heap of trouble. Cleverly staged distractions or more warriors are NOT what we need right now.

We need thinkers.
We have enough freaks.

edit on 29-2-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

newcovenant
I saw that documentary on National Geographic it was very interesting but they did say that people did die sometimes from fighting with those sticks i guess the blows from the sticks can cause allot of damage to the human body..
I found it fascinating how they did settle and maintain peace with this practice that they had been doing for years..That would make a great thread i agree..thanks for posting..sugarcookie1

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by MagesticEsoteric

MagesticEsoteric
I dont belive society is getting ready to crumble ..We always have hope and i see this to be the start of things to change for the good..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13

I don't think I would be too interested in it sugarcookie1. In my younger days I used to watch some of the faces and traces of death shows and then I began to realize I was being entertained in a sick way by seeing others facing death. Once I realized that I stopped watching those shows totally. Speed up a decade or so now there are shows like first 48. I caught myself observing some of those shows but realized its basically a media broadcast to generate money based on death as well so I stopped that pretty quick, feeling bad for the families of the victims of the shows and wondered if they even receive any financial compensation for their time. So death matches probably not as far as I am concerned. It kind of opens a door way for evol to invade the conscious. Crazy thing is I sometimes feel the EA*RTH elites have these types of games in today time they just keep them on a underground Van Dam (Blood Sport) -Kumite-type of closed door level..

Ophiuchus 13
Thank you for posting..There is so much evil out there right now i cant even watch the news everyday someone is being killed its sad..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

ofhumandescent
This thread is a what if subject that my friend and i were talking about the other night not something they are going to bring to pay per view TV..
And many of the things that you stated in your post is very true violence in our video games, movies and other things are out of hand i was watching my cousin play a video game the other night and i was shocked at the violence the game had in it and his parents bought it for him..
We are living in very scary times..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
wow my thread had been moved 2 times now i hope it finds a home..

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

with pleasure
and thank You for raising the question.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
the problem , IMHO is the stipulation that " some one dies " - MMA , boxing etc has fatalities - but they are not mandatory

there in lies the difference -

there are deaths in many competative sports - but such deaths are accidents , or attempts to win at any cost

not deliberate attempts to kill the opponent - because thats the only way to win

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1

MagesticEsoteric
I dont belive society is getting ready to crumble ..We always have hope and i see this to be the start of things to change for the good..peace,sugarcookie1

I don't think it is either and always strive to remain positive and hopeful. Interesting thread you started here. I too was amazed at how many would watch.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

what would you do if someone you loved came home and announced they weee going to do ir ?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I dont have an issue with it. Comes down to dont like it dont watch it.

It really would be perfect for the prison system. Voluntary, but not a shot at freedom. Just better food and better living quarters for your stay in the penal system

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagesticEsoteric

Originally posted by sugarcookie1

MagesticEsoteric

I don't think it is either and always strive to remain positive and hopeful. Interesting thread you started here. I too was amazed at how many would watch.

MagesticEsoteric
I was surprised also but we all have different views on this kind of topic ..
Always remain positive and hopeful only we can make a change..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
in a movie it's ok to watch it.
but in real life it would sicken me if people today still did this and made money from it.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join