It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you watch Gladiatorial Death matches?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Many gladiators were free men looking for fame and fortune. You overestimate "civilization" imo.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by blamethegreys

blamethegreys
Yes you are right not that many gladiators were killed in the ring it did cost allot of money and time to train them..I know they put allot of animals to death and thats just sick but i guess it was just part of the killing machine it was a ruthless time back then they didn't value life or animals..
If you were a gladiator back then and did good you were payed good money and all the wine and ladys you were almost considered a god..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

If they involved bankers, lawyers,CEO"s, politicians you know, real criminals then YEAH I would.
Otherwise no.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I will watch caged death matches only if they involve law enforcement officers and wall street bankers. That would be awesome!

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gseven

I absolutely would not. What's entertaining about death and violence? If it is necessary for survival, that's one thing, but for entertainment in front of an audience? Barbaric much? What's the point of having a larger, more advanced brain if we're only going to behave like animals? Even animals don't fight for sport, so maybe that's offensive even to them.

I think our lust or skill at violence has saved different groups of people throughout history. People act like we are some ascended species or something, but just a fraction of existence ago we were running around with clubs and spears killing animals and other tribes.

Violence is ingrained in our instinct, in some more than others, you can blame people for liking violence, but that´s probably the same people that will be able to save your ass in a crisis situation.

You have bad people that like violence, but you also have good people that like violence, you need those good people that like violence.to protect the weak from the bad. Some people are just born warriors.

In todays society the only way to for people to legally listen to their natural violent side is to do some kind of fight sport, cause in daily life we aren´t constantly fighting for survival anymore, at least not in the ways of old.

I do enjoy violence, in movies, on tv, fight sports, or a good fair bartfight. I don´t like people dying off course, but there is a side of me that is intrigued by violence. If a guy goes into a battle voluntarily, knowing that he can get killed, I´m not gonna cry over it. if he does.

Does that make me a bad person or an animal, don´t think so. Just a certain type of man.

Off course, a show like that on tv would be morally unacceptable, but if you linked me to a youtube vid where two guys would fight till death, I´d definately watch it tbh. and I bet most guys would, even though they wont admit that.

edit on 29-2-2012 by bastardo because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-2-2012 by bastardo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

i agree it makes it acceptable to the young
and i mean acceptable as in the normal
everyday event its bad enough with these
games of war like cod mw3
sorry rant over ill stop there

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   

that's an easy one: nope
i kicked television out years ago and never missed a thing

but suppose i watch the slimebox... would I watch organized murder?
of course not. I think it's a disgrace that such practices can emerge.

I try to avoid getting visual input of imagery that is violent, in order to prevent dumbing down by getting used to it.

but hey, it's hypothetical to me. I used to spend 3-4 hours watching nonsense. Freeing up those hours give me an extra day each week, a day i spend studying, reading, writing

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1

trollz
I was wondering if someone would bring the subject of death row inmates or lifers being asked to go in the ring for there freedom the problem i see with that is i don't think id want someone like that on the streets or in my neighborhood..
The whole thing to me is just barbaric but we all have different views on this subject..peace,sugarcookie1

Well I didn't mean necessarily to let them free, but perhaps offer them the chance to live in a more comfortable facility or give them better food and entertainment or something of the sort. I'm sure many would take the chance.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I wouldn't watch and I'd do my best to get the station license revoked for any station that aired such immoral, unethical and purely evil pandering.

Boycotting advertisers would also be on my agenda.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Interesting question. I was watching an interesting documentary of photos and people from all over the world shot by National Geographic or some such photographers which I plan to share here today if I can make sure it was not already posted.

Within that were some shots of 2 obscure and little known tribes who live out in the jungle together. They gather for a once yearly custom or ritual of fighting with sticks. It is all the men gathering together and fighting with sticks. Not to the death but the fighting does get pretty brutal and the photographer himself described the fights as gladiatorial.

An interesting component of the regularly yearly fighting was that it helped the 2 tribes settle and make up for existing rivalries between the two tribes and essentially this manner of fighting once a year in a planned setting helped the 2 tribes maintain peace the remainder of the year.

If I can locate the video I will post it here in the thread because it was a fascinating account. You have to watch the whole video to get to the part I am referring to because I cannot locate the exact time it appears. It is a great watch though. People grilling up spiders and what not.

From the icy Arctic to Africa's dense jungles - and the mountain tops of Mongolia to the deep waters of the Pacific - the BBC series Human Planet has explored mankind's incredible relationship with nature. Accompanying the film crews was photographer Timothy Allen. His stunning still images captured unique glimpses of people living in the world's most extreme environments. Take a look at some of them, and listen to him explain how he snapped the most arresting shots. www.bbc.co.uk...

No. I would not watch.

To me, fights staged like this would be no different than WWW, IDOL or the rest of those competitions except somebody dies. I don't care who is the best, the brightest, the strongest, the most beautiful, or even who is most talented or capable of survival. The world is in a heap of trouble. Cleverly staged distractions or more warriors are NOT what we need right now.

We need thinkers.
We have enough freaks.

edit on 29-2-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
What's ironic is that you've already watched what your claiming you wouldn't. You've seen videos of dead bodies in Iraq, Bosnia, Germany, Palestine and many other countries. When your government goes to war they also bring cameras to show you what's going on. If you're saying that the death of Qaddafi was barbaric then think again and again.
Meaning that these wars only serve one side and one agenda indicates that it's worse than the times of the Galdiators where you may have had a choice to live free. Today there is no such choice when your country is to be fought against.
So I would say that today's killings are worse than the time of the Gladiators.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by bastardo

I see your point and admit you are correct and reasonable.
There is something fascinating about a warrior especially to other warriors.
There is an added attraction if the warrior is well liked.

It is not something I am interested in though and if push comes to shove I can and will battle myself and I hope I will not require a pro to do my fighting for me. If they do however (fight for me) the more the merrier.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Would you watch Gladiatorial Death matches?,

We all already do. On TV. Every time they show people being killed in the middle east.
What else could you call it?? (besides stupidity )

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

I would love to watch and promote this death match on TV only if the participants were corrupted politicians and big CEOs from wall street

And we the people will have the chance to vote for the most corrupted and dirty of the crowd to fight to death.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

I don't think I would be too interested in it sugarcookie1. In my younger days I used to watch some of the faces and traces of death shows and then I began to realize I was being entertained in a sick way by seeing others facing death. Once I realized that I stopped watching those shows totally. Speed up a decade or so now there are shows like first 48. I caught myself observing some of those shows but realized its basically a media broadcast to generate money based on death as well so I stopped that pretty quick, feeling bad for the families of the victims of the shows and wondered if they even receive any financial compensation for their time. So death matches probably not as far as I am concerned. It kind of opens a door way for evol to invade the conscious. Crazy thing is I sometimes feel the EA*RTH elites have these types of games in today time they just keep them on a underground Van Dam (Blood Sport) -Kumite-type of closed door level..

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
after being a huge fan of the show Spartacus, ....YES , I WOULD DEFINITELY WATCH GLADIATORS IN THE ARENA

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Let's make a giant leap backwards into apedom.

What a disgusting thought.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Definitely would Not watch.
Why is our society sinking to this level?

TV has been desensitizing us for years.
Society has been becoming more violent as it is being manipulated to have the need for ever increasing stimulation.
And we wonder why there is such an increase in child abuse.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Well that would follow the trend of stupid shows for stupid people.
And I would never be part of that trend for the stupid.

And yes I am calling everyone who would watch the event stupid beacause
it's as plain and simply stupid. Nothing warrioresque, nothing honorable, nothing good could come out of this.
Usinig inmates? What about all the people who were wrongfully accused and in jail, it would be fair for them to be forced into fighting for his life which is basically what he's doing everyday in prison walls.

Stupid idea... So stupid it would work like a charm, stupid people.
Man you guys piss me off this morning.

Still, Peace and much Love sugarcookie1

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
what's the difference with gladiatorial events and the state of war our television shows. So people pretend to hurt each other or do so but not to the point of death. I turn on the news and see people die for real. Same thing, there is even a good guy and a bad guy spin on it all. Really it's like kids television or meal time programming compared to the real events we barbarians are currently engaged in.

Have not millions of people died in the Middle east and elsewhere in the last decade? Who cares if some fight and make a little drama. We get drama and death for real anyways.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join