It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you love the USA?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ComeFindMe

crazytopics.blogspot.com.au...

Craziest Laws in America....

Alabama

Dominoes may not be played on Sunday.
Incestuous marriages are legal.
It is illegal to impersonate a person of the clergy.
It is illegal to stab yourself to gain someone's pity.
It is illegal to wear a fake moustache that causes laughter in church.
Masks may not be worn in public
Men may not spit in front of the opposite sex.
Putting salt on a railroad track may be punishable by death.
You may not drive barefooted.
You may not have an ice cream cone in your back pocket at any time.

Alaska

In Alaska it is illegal to whisper in someone's ear while they are moose hunting.
Kangaroos are not allowed in barber shops at any time.
While it is legal to shoot bears, waking a sleeping bear for the purpose of taking a photograph is prohibited.

Arizona

A man can legally beat his wife, but not more than once a month.
Donkeys cannot sleep in bathtubs.
It is illegal to take naked photographs before noon on Sunday.
It is unlawful to refuse a person a glass of water.
Oral sex is considered to be sodomy.
There is a possible 25 years in prison for cutting down a cactus.
You may not have more than two dildos in a house.
Glendale: Cars may not be driven in reverse.
Maricopa County: No more than six girls may live in any house.
Mesa: It is illegal to smoke cigarettes within 15 feet of a public place unless you have a Class 12 liqueur license.
Mohave County: A decree declares that anyone caught stealing soap must wash himself with it until it is all used up.
Nogales: An ordinance prohibits the wearing of suspenders.
Tucson: Women may not wear pants.

That's just the first 3 states in alphabetical order. EVERY country has laws that aren't practiced any more, I see no reason why Iran should thought of as any different.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
Nope, I am just making sure you Americans who have never left your country and are clueless as to what the world is ACTUALLY like,...

*sigh* :shk: You just want to fight with someone. AND you look very silly ... I lived in Japan for three years. I've been to Canada many times. Been to France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, Yugolsavia, Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia, Venezuela, and stayed in Bolivia for a while while we adopted our daughter from there. Also been off-conus to Hawaii a few times as well as Alaska.

Can you say the same??

America isn't some little pissant country with walk across borders. It's a stand alone continent with oceans between it and the other continents. It's soooo absurd for foreigners hold up their passports and say that they somehow understand the world better because they walked across a nearby border into another country.
It's just anti-american bigotry with no basis in fact ... but the foreigners make themselves feel better by smuggly claiming it as a truth. Whatever. Americans have lots of reasons to love America. Guess you'll just have to either learn to live with it or continue to wallow in your error. (I think I know what you'll pick) Hope you enjoy it.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu
Kinda like they're doing now, taking away freedoms and creating their little communist "utopia"...

Wait....so you're saying those that live in America and hate it are the ones taking everyone's freedom away and trying to introduce communism? WTF????? Did you take a wacky pill this morning or something?

By Jove, I think he's got it! that's EXACTLY what I'm saying - no pills required, just observation.

Could it be that perhaps they have been squashed down by corporations and the government, forced to starve or watch their loved ones go homeless because of lack of money, housing or anything else that is currently going on in the US right now? Nah....couldn't be that at all. They MUST be commies.

You're right - that can't be it! there IS hope for you yet! There's not a hell of a lot you can explain to ME about starving or being homeless, and I'm telling you flat out that it wasn't any corporation or government that got me into it, or got me out of it.

U mad, bro?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Iran still practises stoning for adulterers.

Show me where:

Mohave County: A decree declares that anyone caught stealing soap must wash himself with it until it is all used up.

was actioned more recently than a stoning in Iran and I will buy you a moose.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Wrong again. What gets on my goat is the constant and persistant bombardment, by Americans, of reasons why America is better than the rest of the world. America is NOT better than the rest of the world and I make it my duty to inform them of that.
edit on 15/2/2012 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
There are a lot of things wrong in the USA right now. A couple things I can complain about are the fact that I have a degree and can't get a job in the field I studied (I do work by the way). Also, my husband is a teacher, and they just passed a law in Indiana were he will be locked in at his salary. He's a new teacher, so he doesn't make that much. I am grateful for what I do have, and I know a lot of people have it off worse. The problem lies within the government, and their filthy greed is what is destroying the US. There is only so much us normal day to day citizens can do. We can go out and vote, but when you're voting for the best of the worst, nothings going to change.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Only after you put salt on a railroad track for me in Alabama.

Putting salt on a railroad track may be punishable by death.

As I said before, only a certain minority of zealots still action stoning. Yes, it is VERY wrong, but many could say the same for the Electric Chair, or Hanging, or Lethal Injection, or Firing Squad etc etc.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Probably because Iran still has the death penalty and uses it. Like the USA does. Whether you kill someone with stones or with lethal injection doesn't really matter because the end result is the same. Why aren't you holding Iranians to the same standard as Americans?

And a lot of USA states abolished the death penalty so.
edit on 15-2-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
I don't.

I really don't. I left the country years ago. When I told my friends it was like people leaving Germany in the 30s, they all laughed at me and said I was crazy. They still do. They don't see the slow motion train wreck that is happening right in front of their faces.

It's the old frog in the pot scenario. Works every time.

Actually the frog in a pot scenario is a myth... it just doesnt work like that... but you believed it so it has power... that's the way myths go...

Thank you for following the myth to the exit sign :-)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

You've missed the point methinks. Others are saying that America is 'greater' than Iran because certain religious zealots still stone people t death over there....completely disregarding the fact that America also executes, wrongfully in some cases, and that the end result is the same.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Grocery stores full of food and most people able to afford it.

Except the hundreds of thousands of starving people living in Homeless Tent Cities and on the streets.

Where are these "hundreds of thousands" or "tent cities"? I live here, every day, and I don't see them anywhere around... what was that you were saying about "swallowing the propaganda" again?

Those that can't afford grocery stores get help from their fellow Americans via entitlements and faith-based help.

Which is why they are still in tent cities or on the street?

See above.

Those born poor and/or sick can overcome and be successful.

Name one.

Me. I was born dirt poor, sometimes went as long as 4 days at a stretch without eating. I didn't have the luxury of living in a "tent city". I'm not "rich" now, nor have I any desire to be (being rich is more trouble than it's worth), but I eat, every day, and have heat and the like - even internet! How 'bout that? It was NO government nor any corporation that got me into that, nor did they have anything to do with getting me out of it.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
This is a wasted thread. No matter the reason given to like the U.S., someone will spout off why that opinion is wrong.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu
Where are these "hundreds of thousands" or "tent cities"? I live here, every day, and I don't see them anywhere around... what was that you were saying about "swallowing the propaganda" again?

news.bbc.co.uk...

America's homeless resort to tent cities

Panorama's Hilary Andersson comes face to face with the reality of poverty in America and finds that, for some, the last resort has become life in a tented encampment.

Just off the side of a motorway on the fringes of the picturesque town of Ann Arbor, Michigan, a mismatched collection of 30 tents tucked in the woods has become home - home to those who are either unemployed, or whose wages are so low that they can no longer afford to pay rent.

Next.....
edit on Wed Feb 15 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ComeFindMe

Hardly. Paedophilia and murder are still crimes in America. Stoning is a legitimate criminal punishment in Iran. State endorsed. Completely different.

So how come American state execution is still labelled as "Homicide" in the autopsy reports then hmm?

Because it is homicide. "Homicide" is defined as the killing of one human by another, without value judgements placed upon the killing. This is why there is "Justifiable homicide", "negligent homicide", etc. The additional words place value judgements upon the act itself, which is devoid of such alone. "Homicide" is not equal to "murder", which has an entirely other set of elements that must be met to qualify it as such.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Right, so you are saying that American executions are different to Iranian executions because....why exactly?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Only the religious Iranian zealots still uphold the 'stoning' law. I think you will find, if you bothered to look, that the majority of the Iranian people themselves want these laws, and their government, gone. But instead, Americans would prefer to ignore all that and just bomb them back to the stone age.

Preferrable to letting them stone us into the bomb age.

But you do admit it is an Iranian law, eh?

edit on 2012/2/15 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

A law that is practiced by only a minority few religious zealots yeah, as I have said a million times now.

Did you read the BBC Panorama piece on the tent cities yet? This is the bit that stood out for me....

According to census data, 47 million Americans now live below the poverty line - the most in half a century - fuelled by several years of high unemployment.

edit on 15/2/2012 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
Probably because Iran still has the death penalty and uses it. Like the USA does. Whether you kill someone with stones or with lethal injection doesn't really matter because the end result is the same. Why aren't you holding Iranians to the same standard as Americans?

And a lot of USA states abolished the death penalty so.

We don't always agree but you've made some good points and observation.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

In America, as far as i'm aware you would need to be a repeat murderer, rapist or paedophile to be given a death penalty. Thats a far cry from adultery in Iran.

Even taking the argument to its extreme, if someone is going to die then hanging / electric chair / firing squad are all far more humane than a stoning.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Not forgetting, of course, that stoning is something that only a minority of religious zealots still practice - and is hated by the majority of the Iranian population.

Don't forget that bit.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join