It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you love the USA?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
1. The appearance that we have some kind of say in our government (even though real power rests with big corporations and industry)

How is that a good thing?

2. We make the best TV shows and movies of any country. (and any other entertainment)

That is entirely up to personal opinion. I think the Brits make the best TV and movies personally.

3. We're the world's largest economy and superpower, and we did it through innovation and creating a society that others often try to emulate.

And wars. Lets not forget the wars. Military Industrial Complex anyone?

4. Most people speak English (though that may change)

That goes for any English speaking country actually.

5. I can leave my house, go to work, and come home with little worry that my house will be claimed by the government, or that I'll be shot on the way.

So can I. So can most people from most countries.

6. I never worry about a foreign power invading, as it'd be suicide.

Same. Good luck anyone invading Australia. The Japanese tried, and failed dismally when they got completely lost on our North coast.

7. I could get a college education without the money up front.

Same. We call our system HECS.

. I can work and create a life for myself, and my family.

Same.

9. The foundation of our government is sound, even though it has been morphed over time, into something catering to special interests. The foundation is still good, but we need to get back to some of the basic beliefs we were founded on.

I will agree with you on this, only when I see it happen.

10. When adversity hits, we come together, and are the world's biggest philanthropic nation.

Because you have more people than most. If your country had less people it would be an even match methinks. The rest of us also donate and give aid...we just don't tell everyone about it...we do it because we care...not for accolades.

11. We generally support human rights and democracy throughout the world and oppose tyranny, oppression, and genocide.

On paper, yes. In practice, no. See: Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam etc etc.

12. It's a beautiful country, a spacious country, and yes, the people are generally nice as a whole. We are generous, welcoming, and tolerant of different beliefs and cultures.

There are many beautiful and spacious countries on Earth. Australia is just as big as the US....we have even MORE space than America.

13. We are explorers, and have probes on their way to other stars, and have set foot on the moon.

Used to be. I am not seeing much moonlanding going on recently. That and other nations are rapidly catching up to you guys.

14. Simply put, for all of its faults (and all nations have them), it's still the best nation on Earth, and I'm happy to call it my home.

It is NOT the best nation on Earth. It is no better (or worse) than most others.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Echo3Foxtrot
reply to post by Kryties

You have completely missed my point.

Excuse me, I didn't realize Australia was the greatest country on earth. My mistake.

I NEVER said that. I have, in fact, said MULTIPLE TIMES that America is no better or worse than most other countries. I have repeatedly stated this.....why are you ignoring this?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheCommentator
Because this is about the government, foreign policy and not about certain groups of the general population.

Its insseparable
largely
nonsense
thread
edit on 15-2-2012 by ZIPMATT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by reaxi0n

Bro, your hypocrisy has shown through many of times so far in this thread. I think it's time you give it a rest because it's not like you're going to change anyone's mind here.

Huh? Please provide evidence of this.

Usually the people that use
are the ones losing an argument.

So because I used an emoticon, like MANY other people use regularly here on ATS, suddenly I am losing an argument?

That is the single most ridiculous thing I have heard all day - in fact it is evidence to me that you are getting desperate and grasping at straws.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by nenothtu

OK mate. I am done with this nonsense. You continue your life with your blinders on, turning the other cheek to the poverty and despair that is creeping through your country, and I will not bother you with it any more.

Just remember though....I have a looooong memory. When the faecal matter really does hit the fan please don't come crying and whinging to the rest of the world that you didn't see it coming. Because people like me will be there to tell you "Sod off...we warned you. You dug your graves now lie in them".

Good luck with that.

You know, that's your first post in this thread that I starred. I am in complete agreement here - PLEASE don't try to "help" me. I can do without that sort of "help", and have done for a lifetime. Somehow, I'm still standing.

My "blinders" are on my head right here on the ground - right here in the very country you claim to somehow know more about via the BBC news, both you and they being on the outside trying to look in.

It boggles the mind, it truly does.

link   

You must have missed the post where I said I am done with your circular nonsense. Just like you have missed the point of most of the posts I have made in this thread.

link   
Is there a reason I should love USA? Or is this thread for giggles?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

6. I never worry about a foreign power invading, as it'd be suicide.

Same. Good luck anyone invading Australia. The Japanese tried, and failed dismally when they got completely lost on our North coast.

Let's not forget the American's fighting in the Pacific taking most of the focus OFF of Australia.
You do know there is a huge American-provided security insurance policy set up for Australia, right? If you guys were invaded, we would have ships en route quickly.

But this isn't the point. I see what's getting you all butthurt.

People saying America is the greatest country on Earth. I get it now. And you're completely right to argue that point. Who are we to say America is better than Australia, UK, Germany, France, Spain, Russia, China, Japan, etc? You want Australia to be the best. I understand. It's all in national pride. Being a patriot. It's cool, you're entitled to that.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

reply to post by ComeFindMe

Well then, didn't you get me COMPLETELY wrong.

Pays to actually READ posts doesn't it?

I would suggest you follow your own advice then. My point - not that I need to justify it - was in response to a misreading of my points that you made (you thought I was American for a start).

Don't conjure up nonsensical arguments then cry foul when they get smashed. Evidently this is an issue you are having with other posters here too. What a shame.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Mind boggling is exactly the sentiment!

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Huh? Please provide evidence of this.

I already have.

So because I used an emoticon, like MANY other people use regularly here on ATS, suddenly I am losing an argument?

It's because you use it in a non comical situation. I say this from personal observation. Usually when it is used in a condescending way, like you used it, it's a sign of desperation to feel superior in your illogical arguments.

That is the single most ridiculous thing I have heard all day - in fact it is evidence to me that you are getting desperate and grasping at straws.

Ahh...psychological projection.

Look, you've completely outed yourself as a bigot. People are giving reasons they love the US, like the thread is supposed to be about, and you make it your mission to discredit them as shown in the post you replied to above (Gazrok). No where did he say no one else has what we have. He was simply stating why he loves the country he lives in, much like you flaunt how in love you are with Australia and how you presume it's superior to the US in all the ways you have listed.

You can pretend to be non biased all you want. You can pretend to take the moral high ground, but in the end you're just some jealous dude on a computer desperate enough to go to the lengths you've gone to on this thread. I had a slight respect for you earlier, although it may not have been mutual, but you've lost that now. You should know not all your battles can be won

edit on 2-15-12 by reaxi0n because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Kryties

Kryties,

When did this become an American vs. Australia debate?

Australia is AWESOME. I love Australia, but what does your country have to do with this thread?

Do YOU love America and if so why?

That is what this thread is about, it does not ask why you love Australia more the America or why you do NOT love America.

God Bless,

link   

You want Australia to be the best. I understand. It's all in national pride. Being a patriot. It's cool, you're entitled to that.

What part of "America is no better than the rest of the world" did you not understand? At what point did I claim that Australia is the best hmm? Do you need me to spell it out in big, Sesame Street letters for you? You seem incapable of understanding simple English - even when I keep saying it over and over again.

Either that or you are deliberately trying to bait me by misconstruing my words. Either way, stop this nonsense now...go back and read my posts in this thread (perhaps pay special attention to the one dealing with my views on patriotism). I will not be responding to any more of your completely ridiculous posts until you get it right.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ElohimJD

I actually used Australia only because it's what I know best, not because I believe that Australia is better or anything. I have not said that ONCE in this thread. Please read my above post to the other poster regarding this topic.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by reaxi0n

Look, you've completely outed yourself as a bigot. People are giving reasons they love the US, like the thread is supposed to be about, and you make it your mission to discredit them as shown in the post you replied to above (Gazrok). No where did he say no one else has what we have. He was simply stating why he loves the country he lives in, much like you flaunt how in love you are with Australia and how you presume it's superior to the US in all the ways you have listed.

I have made it my mission to point out to those who are claiming (as Gazrok did in his last point) that America is the greatest nation on Earth that IT IS NOT. It is NO BETTER OR WORSE than any other country on Earth.

Jesus H Christ, I have said that three times on this page alone.....am I talking to a bunch of 2 year olds or something?

Once again...in nice big Sesame Street letters so people cannot misconstrue what I am saying unless they are completely blind:

America is NO BETTER OR WORSE than any other country on Earth.

Is that clear? Or do I need to go hire a plane and skywrite it in the sky for you? Perhaps a gigantic message saying this left on the moon?

edit on 15/2/2012 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

reply to post by ElohimJD

I actually used Australia only because it's what I know best, not because I believe that Australia is better or anything. I have not said that ONCE in this thread. Please read my above post to the other poster regarding this topic.

That is fair.

I am just reading non stop USA vs. Australia debates that caused me to scratch my head.

IMO

1a = USA
1b = Australia

At least in terms of where I would choose to live.

I just see a derailed thread talking about comparrisions rather then what the OP asked for which was reasons you love the USA if you happen to love it.

God Bless,

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

If you think that the BBC is my sole source of news about the US you are sorely mistaken. Indeed, an intelligent person would not even suggest this, knowing how ridiculous that sounds.

It was the one you cited. Indeed, an intelligent person would stop to consider the value of eyes on the ground in relation to reports from an overseas office. If you are that wrong about the US, it calls into question just how skewed your opinion of Iran may be...

Like I said mate, I'm done with your cherry-picking nonsense. Enjoy your blinders, drink your Kool-Aid and stick your fingers in your ears and scream "LALALA" to your hearts content.

You make a statement, I respond to it, and somehow it's ME "cherry picking"?

as far as your assertions of blinders, kool-aid, et al, here's a thought - I live here, every day, and you get your news from outside sources. WHO is "drinking the Kool-Aid" and "wearing their blinders"? WHO is sticking theor fingers in their ears and chanting "LALALALA"?

You believe what you are told to believe, and it's ME, living here on the ground you can only speak of, who is misinformed?

ROFLMAO!

edit on 2012/2/15 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Now you're just being rude. Sorry, I guess I was just not understanding what you were saying. Try to separate your hatred from what you're actually trying to say is kind of hard.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Please refer to the post above yours. It explains everything in nice big lettering for those who cannot seem to be able to read properly.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

reply to post by Kryties

Now you're just being rude. Sorry, I guess I was just not understanding what you were saying. Try to separate your hatred from what you're actually trying to say is kind of hard.

Hatred? What hatred? I have said or displayed no hatred. Again, another thing you have made up in your head.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join