It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USA: Being funny could send you to prison now

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Irritated

1) Notice, like you didn't at first, I said "If this is the case..." For you, uninitiated, that means "I'm not sure if that is what happened, but if it did..." then,

2) He should be executed for hitting a child. Mine was not a joke. Maybe you support the abuse of children, but I, a human, don't.

/TOA

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I'm appalled at the ones who think this was funny. Did you folks even read the article?

Once he let her out of the cage, she poured a glass of water on his head. So, he tied her up again and told her brother to help him electrify the cage. The girl was let out after the grandmother came home.

This is blatant psychological and physical abuse.

Many MK victims have been kept in cages and electrocuted. If we allow this to happen by writing it off as a joke, you are giving the real nasties a Get Out of Jail Free card.

Kids being tied up in a movie are not the same thing as your own father doing this to you.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I did notice you said that, and noted my post for that. Execution has its time and its place, but claiming that someone should be executed for "hitting" a child is not a clear cut example of when it should be used. My parents spanked me, and I believe my mother hit me once for mouthing off really bad. I would not wish her executed.

It seems as if you are trying to take a very high road on a very low subject. Execution would be very extreme for someone who hit their child only once. There are variables that make a huge difference. Age. Frequency. Reasoning. Etc.

At her age it makes it worse if he hit her, but let us say he hit her once. Does he deserve death? No.
If he constantly abused her? Well then, that would be an issue worth debate.

We do not live in a country where death is the answer to everything.

Regardless though, this is off topic now, and I would like to note I edited my post before reading your response.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by insaan

Regardless if this story is fake or not just stay off Facebook anyway. Like I said before its a breeding ground for cia victims. Facebook is texting without a phone. It makes me think though because only your friends can read your posts on Facebook, correct? I guess admins search the site so maybe they notified. Still, F facebook! And if this is a fake story then F you OP!

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

"Once he let her out of the cage, she poured a glass of water on his head. So, he tied her up again and told her brother to help him electrify the cage. The girl was let out after the grandmother came home. "

May I ask where you got the cage and electrifying of cage information? I checked the link that OP provided and the 2 links on that page. None mention these details, which I find odd to say the least, as I believe the least of the focus on the 3 articles would be on the taping.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
reply to post by dadgad

How many ATS accounts do you have?

Originally posted by [color=E89F84]dadgad

1. no history of child abuse
2. no history of any criminality
3. nobody was hurt (unless you count how all this media attention will affect this little girl)
4. posted picture on public forum
5. made joke (admittingly bad) to accompany said picture
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by [color=E89F84]ping9

1. no history of child abuse
2. no history of any criminality
3. nobody was hurt (unless you count how all this media attention will affect this little girl)
4. posted picture on public forum
5. made joke (admittingly bad) to accompany said picture
www.abovetopsecret.com...

One! But you are very attentive. I stole that part without giving credit. I plead guilty.

I apologize. It wasn't intentional, just laziness.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Sorry, my bad. I read a similar article and thought this was the same one this thread was about since this guy says he was just being funny, too.
www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.com...

CINCINNATI (AP) — A man charged with punishing his 12-year-old daughter by binding her hands and feet with duct tape and sticking her in a dog cage, then threatening to electrify the crate, was being held Friday on a $50,000 bond.

James Tapke, 41, was charged Thursday with child endangering. His attorney, Christopher Jackson, told a judge that the incident was "some horseplay" and a joke that "got out of control."

But police said there was nothing funny about it, and an officer's affidavit said Tapke disciplined his daughter "in a cruel manner."

Police in Springfield Township near Cincinnati said he tied the girl's hands and feet with duct tape, then shut her in a large dog cage on Jan. 10. Police said the girl's 13-year-old brother let her out after about 20 minutes, but Tapke put her back in after she poured water on his head.

Tapke then had his son bring him an electrical jumper pack from the garage, and he placed it in front of the girl outside the cage, authorities said. He said several times that he could electrify the cage before he released his daughter from the crate, police said.

The girl's grandmother helped her remove the duct tape, police said.

Police said that Tapke and the girl's brother took pictures of her while she was in the cage and that the boy posted them to Facebook. Police said the pictures were later deleted.

The children are in their grandparents' care, authorities said.

I apologize again for assuming the thread was about this story, but the fact that there are TWO fathers who discipline their children with cages AND posted the photos on Facebook AND said they were just joking around is even more disturbing to me.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Yeeeeaahhhh I fail to see any humor in this man's actions. And I'm a professional Internetz Commenter, so I think I know what I'm talking about. -scoffs-

No, but seriously. That wasn't funny. I have two boys, and I would never do something like that. It's bad taste, I don't care what "culture" you're from, posting public photos of your child bound and gagged and adding nice little commentary about how this is what happens when your baby hits you back? No. Just, no. He should have seen this coming. I think the police were right to be concerned. I'm sure an investigation will take place and if it is truly determined that it was merely a joke, and there's no evidence of actual abuse taking place, he will probably get charged with some menial crime and have to pay a fine. I hope for the little girl's sake that that's all it is, and that he was telling the truth and it was only a joke.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

"I apologize again for assuming the thread was about this story, but the fact that there are TWO fathers who discipline their children with cages AND posted the photos on Facebook AND said they were just joking around is even more disturbing to me. "

What is disturbing to me is even after bringing it up to you asking about a cage you correct yourself and then state it again. The reason I find this disturbing is the same reason I initially found the "duct tape" replies disturbing. You are wrong and passing along false information.

I have seen many posts turn in to nothing more than a game of telephone. This person says "duct tape" and people start jumping on that bandwagon. You are now inserting discipline and cages in to something that was masking tape and a photo.

I frequently wonder if some people just wish to blow everything out of proportion for their fellow readers just so they can start a mob attitude. I hope people will read this far without now assuming there were cages, shotguns, a Deathstar and 40 lbs of coc aine.

Let me take this time for anyone who made it this far:

Man put masking tape (please google if you are unsure of what that really is) around 22 month old daughters wrists, ankles, and mouth. Then took a photo and put it up on Facebook with the caption "This is wut happens wen my baby hits me back. ; )". A friend of the mans is claiming that he would never hurt his daughter and it was a joke. Man has no criminal history to speak of.
edit on 29-1-2012 by Irritated because: Spelling

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

There were two stories. Both men used the excuse that it was a joke. Both crimes were done to a girl. Both crimes involved the child being duct taped. Both crimes were photographed and placed on Facebook.

I'm not trying to spread disinformation. I merely confused two similar crimes that were basicly in the news at the same time. If anything, I've strengthened the argument that this sort of stuff isn't funny.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Not to drag this on any further, but you stated at the end that there were TWO fathers who caged their daughters. There was no cage in this incident. Also, to clarify once again.. masking tape, not duct.

The difference between masking tape and duct tape is like comparing a bb gun and a shotgun. In this case that detail does matter, because a child isn't going to suffocate or have any removal pain with masking tape.

Hate to keep pointing that fact out, but your reply right there was proof of what I said in my initial reply to you.

Edit: And this is a good opportunity for people to see that I am going to be a detail nazi, because the details matter in these articles. Wrong details = wrong story.
edit on 29-1-2012 by Irritated because: Added a bit (noted)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Well, sorry for messing up your thread with my confusion.
I'll make sure I get the facts straight next time between two stories that are inherently similar.

As long as cages and duct tape aren't used, it's funny. Got it.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by insaan

Thats not a very funny joke, especially if the child is underage. This day in age facebook is as good as anything for admissions of guilt. They have to take everything seriously, my advice to the father keep your awful jokes in house. A women had her kids taken away because of her admission to doing drugs on facebook, I think people need to really think before they put up something that stupid on a social network.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I thought it was funny. hes gonna win in court. maybe they will force him into doing something with a counselor at the most. hope theirs a follow up on what this guys sentence is.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Well, here is the real joke. When Obama became PRESIDENT of the NATION. We all knew it would be an OBAMA-NATION!

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
The kid was 22 MONTHS OLD.

How could she have "been in on it"?

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by dadgad

Originally posted by dadgad

One! But you are very attentive.
I wouldn't go that far. I only noticed, because the first was as a direct reply to me, which I had already responded to yesterday.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
i remember seeing that picture. i didnt know it was intended as a joke of humor. if my child hits me (if i had a child) he/she would get told to grab a switch from a tree outside. im definitely not having kids; too expensive and too unruly if you follow societal norms about how to raise them.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Clearly, most of the people responding to this thread did not actually read the article.

First paragraph: "A Chicago man who posted a photograph on Facebook of his 22-month-old daughter bound with painter's tape was indicted Monday on felony charges."

So, a child who is not even two years old can "be in on it"?

Really? She isn't even old enough to pick out weather-appropriate clothing, but is old enough to understand that Daddy taping her hands, feet, and mouth is "a joke"?

Regardless of the intent, this is not funny.
edit on 1/29/2012 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
This is just ridiculous. Ive seen meme pics all over the internet where there's children duct taped to a wall with a caption saying I believe "redneck babysitter" or something of that sort and no one cares. Hell my kids have taped each others mouths shut and bound their hands behind their back. People need to realize not everyone has their sense of humor and what's humor to one person may not be humor to the next. I see nothing wrong with what this father did if it truly was just for humor. Some of us are more out there than others. Some of us like the shock and awe. I mean # Howard Stern has done worse, Marilyn Manson has done worse, Alice Cooper, Ozzy, Danni Filth, Rob Zombie, and the list goes on of people simulating worse. As long as it's an attempt at humor and no one was truly injured get over yourselves.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join