It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USA: Being funny could send you to prison now

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Child abuse is not a joke and he was even stupid enough to hand over the evidence needed to convict him of it.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by insaan

A dad posts a picture of his daughter on Facebook, with her mouth, hands and feet taped, and a comment under the picture which said "This is wut happens wen my baby hits me back. ; )". The picture somehow ended up in the hands of police, and a day later the father was arrested and charged with Aggravated Battery which holds a maximum sentence of 7 years.

I bet the daughter is laughing hard at her dad right now.

P.S - What kind of father would post such a picture of his daughter on facebook, anyway? Oh well.... maybe I dont "get" what passes off as humor these days.

edit on 29-1-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by insaan

Now I think the 21 year old father was an idiot, after all the daughter wasn't even 2 years old yet!
His bond has been reduced and here's a follow up to what he did:
"http://www.suntimes.com/news/10276084-418/bond-reduced-for-dad-accused-of-taping-up-daughter-and-posting-pic.html"
It would be different if his kid was a teen and agreed to the "JOKE", but at 23 months she has no clue...

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by insaan

It's because he's black.

No other reason.

I don't really speak like that often, but come on. It's obvious in my opinion. How did the police even learn about that?

...He was freed apparently.

www.carmitimes.com...
edit on 29-1-2012 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

Should sue the government, honestly.

ah, trial still ongoing.....

He should still sue the government. This is fookin' ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ottobot

I have read every single post before responding, have read all the links, and have researched on my own , so as to try to stay objective and eotionally detached from the discussion.

For one, all you peeps calling for this man to spend 7 years in prison over what seems to me to be only a misguided attempt at a bad joke ( which last time I checked wasn't criminal, maybe sick ,maybe morally wrong, but not criminal) need to remeber, that once precident is set in our legal system, no holds are barred.

Having said that, it seems obvious, from a lot of these posts, most of you guyshave obiously been abused by your parents, and still carry scars that need help mendng. I suggest you try counsilling, not lynch mobbing a stranger to punish your abusive parents abhorrent behaior.

I also find it funny, that none of you know this man or his daughter or he exact details, as they are not availble online anywhere, I know I have checked. Maybe most of you need to pull the stick from your ass, and your nose from from sombody elses business.

I mean so what he taped her up? I bet that ruins her life, if she even remembers I at all, not to mention, a lot of peeps do a lot worse, and it is perfectly acceptable, in their respective homes. Judges do a lot worse things to people than this in the court room and it is totally legal, don't hear you bleeding hearts complaining at that stuff.

Also the whole, she is only 22 months old so she can't agree argument doesn't fly, as she is only 22 months old she can't object either. He did no actual harm to the child that I have dicovered, nor will the incedent leave any lasting emotional damage, as the child is so young, she most likely only wonders why her daddy is gone and why the police took him. The life long tragedy of her fearing the violent police that took her father away is more likely a concern, to her mental health than her father taping her up for a couple minutes.

Unless of course the guy is just a sicko, in wich case the court will hear evidence, and treat him accordingly.

Try not to be so judgemental, you guys don't know anything but the very vague details, that the news media probably made up to sntch a ratings boost. Judging by some of your more colorful reactions, I fear for my kids to be around all of you " we gotta throw the book at him, if there is even a possibilty" types, than a man, that at worst showed a lack of good judgement, not over the top child abuse. What kind of sickos are some of you anyways?

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Mixed emotions on this one.

A 'police state' is a bit of an overstatement. I don't think the police raided the guy's house Gestapo style. Somebody called the cops and if one of my 'friends' did this I would be a bit unnerved, and I am certain with some people, I'd call the cops too, joke or not.

Totally tasteless 'joke' by the way.

If you don't want people knowing your business, don't post it on a public forum.

100K for being an idiot.

I hope it catches on.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SatansGift

Originally posted by SatansGift

Some of us like the shock and awe. I mean # Howard Stern has done worse, Marilyn Manson has done worse, Alice Cooper, Ozzy, Danni Filth, Rob Zombie, and the list goes on of people simulating worse.
Which part of the nonsense that you spewed out with this↑ comment, is in any way relevant to the topic of this thread? What do any of those performers have to do with this particular child?

Originally posted by SatansGift

As long as it's an attempt at humor and no one was truly injured get over yourselves.

Just because the person, whom is actually making the "attempt at humor", may think that a prank is hilarious, that does not necessarily mean that the victim of that prank, shares the same feelings.

• Some victims are able to forgive, and move on.

• Some victims will get even with a somewhat similar type of prank, later on.
    [Revenge is a dish that's best served cold]

• However, there are also some victims who may become extremely enraged, and exact their revenge with excessive force, as soon as possible.

[color=F6FFBA]SLIDELL, La.- A 25-year-old man was stabbed to death after upsetting a friend by locking him in the bathroom as a joke Friday night.

[color=FF3D3D]Slidell Practical Joke Turns Deadly

In most situations, fools have not pushed a joke too far, until after they have taken it too far. By then, it may just be too late.

The guise of an action being "an attempt at humor", does not automatically transform that which is inappropriate, into something that is appropriate.

[color=C2C2C2]The gift that satan gave, was it the gift of ignorance?

• posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 01:25 PM
    link   
    reply to post by GrindsMyGears

Originally posted by GrindsMyGears

Wow I guess I will just have to take your word that you neither use facebook or partake in vegetarianism which I am more than willing to accept, that is just the kind of guy I am......
    Yeah. I noticed that is just the type of guy you are. That is actually what I was trying to help you with, in the first place.

You see a picture of a young child who has been bound with tape, and you just automatically take someone's word, that it was only a harmless joke.

Originally posted by GrindsMyGears

Trying to paint me out as ignorant again....
    As previously mentioned: You don't need my help.
    You're doing a splendid job, all by your lonesome.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 01:25 PM
    link   
    It's not funny to me but that doesn't matter. If he was joking, that's all there is to it. Just because you don't like what another person does doesn't mean they should be stopped if it's not breaking a law. If you believe in freedom, then believe in the freedom of others. Seems to me some of you ride the emotional train too often and would love to have a police state. There's too many laws already and the important one's aren't enforced. Start thinking for yourself and quit kissing the butt of the powers that be.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 01:33 PM
    link   
    reply to post by insaan

Families do this kind of thing.

All of you people who say this is sick and the guy deserves 7 years...

This was probably less dangerous than when your parents tossed you into the air to make you giggle when you were a baby.

Grow up you overly sensitive, judgmental, self righteous fools.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 01:42 PM
    link   
    reply to post by BrokenCircles

Just like you stated, just because the person making the joke thinks it is funny doesn't mean it is, and just because you don't think it is funny doesn't mean it isn't.

Your exactly the kind of P.C. nazi I was talking about in my previous post, just because you disagree doesn't mean any harm was meant or incurred, and doesn't make thi man a criminal, and yes we do automatically assume him inoccent, that's our system, innoccent UNTIL PROVEN guilty.

Your type are the hard line like I say or else type, that makes this world a bad place, not the misguided actions of a man playing with his daughter.

For evidence look at every one of your posts, not once do you mention the possibilty of this being just a joke, or just bad judgement. You only see your way or no way, just because you wouldn't doesn't mean others can't or shouldn't.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 01:51 PM
    link   
    For those of you who just LOVE and TRUST bureaucrats? This is WHAT YOU GET! Get it now? See what happens when you put International social workers in charge of the country? Do you GET IT NOW?

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 02:07 PM
    link   

Originally posted by theBigToe
    Child abuse is not a joke and he was even stupid enough to hand over the evidence needed to convict him of it.

Murder is no joke either. Apparently Anthony Hopkins, even if he did try to disguise his heinous crimes by calling himself Hannibal Lector, was stupid enough to hand over evidence needed to convict him of murder.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 02:09 PM
    link   
    It will be interesting to see what the court decides.

People may think a joke is a joke, and a 22 month old will not remember what happened, but that 22 month olds subconscious will. If this was abuse, it could very well damage that child's brain in ways that are not fully understood yet.

What is important is what the child felt, not what the father felt.

If that child felt smothered and in danger during this prank, then it is ABUSE.
    We do not know what the child felt, and may never know until they get older and develop something from childhood trauma. It only takes ONCE with the right mind to destroy it in such a way that it changes how the actual brain develops. Once that pathway is created within the brain, it opens the door to so many problems for the child growing up and into it's adult life. That is my worry.

Yes, I had a very bad childhood starting at 2. It changed my brain. It happens.
    Yes, looking at that picture my mind SCREAMS abuse.
    Perhaps it is my own reflection on this child, but just putting myself into that child's picture, I felt fear and confusion. Ok, it was a joke. But I do not think the child thought it was funny, and I do not think we will ever truly know. But when that child gets older, she will know.

If the court rules it abuse, then I believe they had done the proper thing.

edit on 29-1-2012 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 02:10 PM
    link   
    reply to post by BrokenCircles

What are you saying? Are you suggestion that if a woman is old enough and curvaceous enough that tying her up is funny?

Ooooookay.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:05 PM
    link   
    Would my father have done this to me when I was a child(even in fun)? Probably not, adults acted like adults back then. Now my brothers, that is a different story and in fact I think I do remember them taping me up a few times......all in good fun as well. I was raised in the 70's so we did not have the internet available to us in those days so allow me to throw the internet out of scenario for a moment.

So now I ask myself...would any of my elders, or siblings have taped me up like that and then proceeded to drag me around in public as a show humor? Absolutely not!!! No one would have, why?, because if the authorities spotted you than you would have been in the same situation as this man is now (providing a citizen of the public did not pulverize you first). I am not saying the authorities are perfect (I have my own thoughts on our twisted system as well) but they must be allowed to do there jobs to protect us as citizens. What if that little girl really is being abused and the police just took the fathers word on the situation and turned their eyes away as most of us citizens do now days would it than be humor when the child ended up in a box 6' under?

I can't but help to think that we have really fallen as a society, most children these days talk, dress, and carry themselves about inappropriately, send discrete photos of themselves to each other and other acts that should not even be on their minds at such tender young ages. And here we have an example that many adults act in the same manner. This mans actions of displaying his humor is just down right stupid and irresponsible as a father, period!

If it was all in innocent humor than hopefully the law goes gentle and he learns a lesson from his stupidity but I give the authorities two thumbs up for stepping in and assessing the situation.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:10 PM
    link   
    My god how the hell did he think this was funny. I am pretty sure the child at only 22 months did not find it funny. I am betting she was scared and confused as the why daddy was binding her hands and legs together.

This vile thing that calls himself a man deserves to go to jail for child abuse. I fail to see how ANYONE could find houmor in the picture.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:17 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
    reply to post by Plugin

Pulling duct tape off of someones mouth hurts and from looking at the picture, that duct tape is secure. It also completely covers the mouth and comes close to the nose,
    which will no doubt give a 22 month old child a feeling of suffocating.

I sometimes read images off of pictures, and this one gave me an instant feeling of suffocation.
    It was abuse, even if no one believes me. That little girl felt like she could not breath and did not know what was happening.
    edit on 28-1-2012 by Darkblade71 because: typonese

Isn't painters tape a type of masking tape. It is meant to come off without leaving residue or pulling up existing tape...it is not duct tape - tape that is meant to secure items.

But the OP is right, what the heck happened to having fun.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:17 PM
    link   

Originally posted by nuttin4U
    He should be arrested....for being so STUPID. Who would tape up their daughter...take a picture and facebook it; these days? Don't people REALIZE what times we live in? What he did, is HARDLY considered humor, nor was there anything FUNNY with it.

If he wanted to be humorous, why didn't he photoshop tape around one of the pictures, his daughter has posted on facebook; then, repost it to her wall? Now, THAT would be funny. What he did was tasteless!

You must be the most unfunny mother#er around. Get out of here clown

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:23 PM
    link   
    It wasn't particularly funny to me but come on . Assuming his story is true and it was simply a joke then lets just calm down one tiny little second here why don't we.

Firstly it was painters tape, now I'm guessing thats the same type of thing as masking tape? Yknow, that really easy to remove hardly sticky at all certainly not pain inducinly sticky when removed tape. Not normal clear tape, or box tape or gaffa tape or anything very sticky and strong, painters tape.

Secondly someone mentioned at 22 months old the child probably didn't find this very fun...at 22 months old if a parent says it's a game then the childs probably going to go along with them. Otherwise most of us would have eaten far less vegetables, and someone coming at my face with a metal fork seems slightly more scary than some weak not very sticky tape.

But what the heck, I'm 19...it was okay for my mum to smack me but now apparently it messes childrens minds up...theres too many do-gooders out there who have no sense of the real world sometimes. Again I don't find it funny and it's not something I'd do to my children if I had any...but abuse...it certainly isn't abuse.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join