It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USA: Being funny could send you to prison now

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
About as funny as a tooth ache

about as illegal as a tooth ache also

I wouldn't say this guy is going to be winning any comedy awards anytime soon, and frankly the guys mindset creeps me out, but ya...no victim.

now, you could start discussing the finer points of potential psychological abuse, what is the daughter learning when daddy is taping her arms and legs up..but still, unless there is something more to it, it seems like it isn't legal

Investigation into seeing if he is a fit parent may be in order..or if he is nuts/abusive/pedo/etc...otherwise...ya, not seeing the illegal part here.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Wait..does that mean that all those movies where the child actor is taped up and gagged is actual abuse also?

There has to be more to this than what meets the eye, else those movies (kidnapping, etc..only one that comes to mind currently is erm..saw 2 maybe?) are showing literal crimes.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Personally I think if you cant have fun with your children and throw them about, as they love, then whats the point in having children. Its all about playing daft games like that as children enjoy the rough and tumble games just as much as the cuddles. If we all got arrested for it then there would be no parents available to look after the children.
Fun is what kids are about.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Wow...just..... Seriously people. For one, my dad whoooooooooped my tush for so much as saying no to him.

But I know the difference between him driving really fast thru the woods while me, my bro and my sis sat in the bed of the truck and him splashing thru a creek (VERY DANGEROUS! DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME WITH YOUR KIDS!) and the back of his hand.

Some families play very rough. Some people just have to except that. I know it may scare you or upset you but you are not them. My bro would put me in a hamper and sit on it for hours while I screamed bloody murder. Should he have gone to jail, NO. That is just how we rolled. Because when he was sleeping rest assured he was getting a bed full of cold water. Families do these things!

My dad scared me every chance he got and whooped my butt every time it needed it. Ever been tickled against your will relentlessly? Well I have and it is torture! But you know what it is A JOKE!

People need to stop destroying other families lives just because THEY don't like how that family rolls. Did that dad tape up YOUR daughter? nope.

And did the article say that the daughter wrote a report on how it was NOT a joke and she wanted her dad locked up for 7 years? NOPE.

Not every human is as sensitive as you. My dad beat me and you know what... SO WHAT. I got over it. I am a 27 year old MAN and do not hold onto meaningless stuff, like my dad kicking me up the stair case.

When you joke about life, life is a lot more easy to deal with.

It was a family joke and now lives are being destroyed over other peoples involvement.

LEARN, LIVE AND MOST IMPORTANT FORGET!

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by insaan

I would like to add this...this wasn't the cops fault...its someone who saw this photo and called it in...any time something is called in the police then have to investigate it....which may have led to all sorts of things. 95% of everything the cops do comes from information citizens call in...and people call in some stupid #.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicexplorer
reply to post by insaan

I would like to add this...this wasn't the cops fault...its someone who saw this photo and called it in...any time something is called in the police then have to investigate it....which may have led to all sorts of things. 95% of everything the cops do comes from information citizens call in...and people call in some stupid #.

"Cops", generally meaning LEO's from administrative agencies not mandated by any Constitution, will act upon the slightest hint of a "citizen" call which sure as hell ain't a verified complaint. Unlike a verified complaint, where the camplaintant is swearing under penalty of perjury that an actual crime was committed, this crap of simply "dropping a dime" on someone else is disgusting.

If it turns out that this father is not guilty of aggravated assault then it is the arresting police officer who acted criminally and it is most certainly that officers fault. An arrest must, under the rule of law, be made - at the very least on good faith - with the understanding that an actual crime was committed not that it appears to be maybe a crime so up against the wall mother....

Let's not excuse a police state and blame it on the sycophants of a police state. Let's just put an end to the police state...or keep letting the inmates run the asylum.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux

I agree it isn't funny, but I never thought Married With Children was funny.
There are many important distinctive differences.....
.....between this↑, and this↓.

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux

If a District Attorney is actually willing to prosecute this case, one would think that D.A. is willing because the child in the picture, or some other witness has given sworn testimony that it is not a joke and is a very real case of aggravated assault. Failing that, it is not an issue of aggravated assault, it is a First Amendment issue regardless of how funny, or appropriate, anyone thinks it is.
It really doesn't matter what the DA thinks; or what you think; or what he↓ believes; or what I think; or what anybody else in this thread thinks.

Originally posted by MoosKept240

I believe it was all in good fun! Her hands are in front of her, so she could of removed the tape quick and easy.

[color=91FFF8]There is only 1 person whose opinion matters. Hopefully, she is capable and allowed, to express that honest opinion, whichever way it may be.

reply to post by MoosKept240

Originally posted by MoosKept240

I just want to point out, that she is taped with blue painters tape.
Not exactly a strong tape.
Not even really a very sticky tape.
I just want to point out that she is a 22 month old toddler.
Not exactly a strong person.
Not even really a full grown person.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
All I see are typical reactions from the brainwashed nanny staters jumping to the conclusion this man obviously meant to abuse his child.
How sad, it is a joke people thats all, the only thing I see him guilty of is using facebook this site leads to more misery than I care to recall (i am talking of people I know personally).

And woudn't use facebook if you paid me, maybe somene should look at a real issue like people addicted to facebook for example although a thread probably already exists for that already (have not checked).
Worse than a slot machine facebook only a slot machine doesnt care or want to know whom your fake friends are.

I have neighbours they are vegetarian and their kids only get veggies which I consider a form of abuse but it is not illegal and none of my business (kids looks pasty tired and thin all the time).
I am trying to point out that these matters are subjective and people and the law should butt out, go find a real criminal I see loads when I go outside my front door but not a lot of arresting going on unless a fine is involved.
And $100,000 bail? I need to go lie down.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by dadgad

How many ATS accounts do you have?

Originally posted by [color=E89F84]dadgad

1. no history of child abuse
2. no history of any criminality
3. nobody was hurt (unless you count how all this media attention will affect this little girl)
4. posted picture on public forum
5. made joke (admittingly bad) to accompany said picture
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by [color=E89F84]ping9

1. no history of child abuse
2. no history of any criminality
3. nobody was hurt (unless you count how all this media attention will affect this little girl)
4. posted picture on public forum
5. made joke (admittingly bad) to accompany said picture
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by GrindsMyGears

Originally posted by GrindsMyGears

All I see are typical reactions from the brainwashed nanny staters jumping to the conclusion this man obviously meant to abuse his child.

How sad, it is a joke people thats all, the only thing I see him guilty of is using facebook this site leads to more misery than I care to recall (i am talking of people I know personally).

Your comment is one that is more of a typical brainwashed reaction.

My own opinion is that this was not funny, but I have not personally made any negative remarks about the father. The truth is what matters. The child is what matters.

[color=6EFFF5]Looking at a picture of a small child with her hands & feet bound together, and her mouth taped shut; and then immediately accepting the notion that it was only meant as a joke, and nothing more, is what is truly sad.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

I made personal comments about the father using facebook......not using tape on his child funny or not.

And by the way using a different colour to highlight your text does not give it any more meaning to me nice tactic must work on some to get your point across I suppose.
Or have I rubbed you up the wrong way re: facebook or vegetarianism maybe?
My reply is just my opinion thats is all you have three choices Agree, Disagree or Ignore.

I see you went straight for a form of attack on myself declaring my reaction as kneejerk and then using your nice blue colour text to ram your point home and score points, In what I can only see as an attempt to paint me out as ignorant of child abuse or in some way a supporter of such vile behaviour that my friend is truly sad.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by GrindsMyGears

Or have I rubbed you up the wrong way re: facebook or vegetarianism maybe?
I partake in neither of those.

I see you went straight for a form of attack.....
That was no attack. It was more of a simple rebuttal.

In what I can only see as an attempt to paint me out as ignorant.....
You need no assistance with that. You have done a mighty fine job, all by yourself.

I stand↓ behind this comment 100%
[color=6EFFF5]Looking at a picture of a small child with her hands & feet bound together, and her mouth taped shut; and then immediately accepting the notion that it was only meant as a joke, and nothing more, is what is truly sad.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by nuttin4U

you have a stick up your
kids have no respect anymore and if people like you were actually
you'd see the humor in it

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Wow I guess I will just have to take your word that you neither use facebook or partake in vegetarianism which I am more than willing to accept, that is just the kind of guy I am......

Trying to paint me out as ignorant again.... I am quite sure there is a nice warm seat waiting for you at Fox or CNN your propaganda skills are par excellence. Bravo.

I find it highly commendable that you stand by your words 100% but then again I did not question the content of your nice blue paragraph, I was merely pointing out your use of colour to ram your point home and score points that is all.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by insaan
I did a search and found no similar threads discussing this story, it was published in PBS. Apologies if a thread already exists.

Simply put: A dad posts a picture of his daughter on Facebook, with her mouth, hands and feet taped, and a comment under the picture which said "This is wut happens wen my baby hits me back. ; )". The picture somehow ended up in the hands of police, and a day later the father was arrested and charged with Aggravated Battery which holds a maximum sentence of 7 years. He has been locked up because of that picture with a 100,000 USD bond...

The father says it was damn joke, and I believe him, I mean for GOD SAKE, I watch America's Funniest Videos, people do jokes like that, and do practical jokes etc.. No harm done, when police gets involved in these sorts of matters, then the element of fear increases. Note - What are the boundaries, what types of jokes am I allowed to do without the fear of being locked up - what are the boundaries?

Here's a similar fun time with your child which could send you to prison, if compared to this case:

- If you hold your kid high and spin him/her for fun, you could get arrested and locked up with 100,000 USD bond, and charged with Aggravated Battery. Quick, hide all the videos of fun time with your kids.

2. If you throw your kid up and then catch him/her for fun, you could get arrested and locked up with 100,000 USD bond, and charged with Aggravated Battery. Me and my dad had fun times like that, I guess if it was on video and the video was on Facebook, my dad would have been arrested ? Right?

This opens the door for police involvements in all family activities, whether you have a traditional game you play, maybe it is different, so what? Some families are different, some families play different jokes, different activities, different culture formed with the family which the outsiders might not understand at all.

Link : www.cbsnews.com...
edit on 28-1-2012 by insaan because: (no reason given)

Putting the tape over the girls mouth is inappropriate.

It could have caused her to choke. The tape has chemicals on it that cause the adhesive effect and to put that over a 22 months mouth is stupid. The lack of judgement shown by doing this merits investigation.

When he goes to take the tape off her mouth, remember she is 22 months old, he could hurt her. Thankfully the wrists and feet the tape was placed over clothing.

I'm sure the district attorney will reduce the charges substantially but this did show bad judgement. And I agree that throwing the kids up in the air is dangerous. It's very easy to dislocate a shoulder or break a clavicle. Lifting the child in the air gently is different.

Finally, we all know all media, including this, is monitored. Lets all learn from this to use this type of medium appropriately.

Cheers.
edit on 29-1-2012 by stevent0314 because: spelling

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Did anyone actually pay attention to the article? I don't know if people are neglecting to read the article or there are some serious reading comprehension issues, but the tape used was painter's tape (aka. Masking tape).

A. It is not very sticky.
B. It rips very easily.

So as much as you would like to accuse the father of wrapping his daughter up in duct tape, he didn't.

Had to set that straight.

Fact of the matter is, his joke was unfunny. Not because of the act committed, but because it was a stupid joke.
The child most likely posed for the photo... why? Because once again it was masking tape, one of the least sturdy tapes I have ever seen. I think the clear rolls of scotch tape have more holding power than it. It is basically paper with a somewhat adhesive side. You put it on areas you would like to avoid painting, and it gives you a nice straight line. If the child exhaled hard enough the tape would have given.... hell, if the child sighed it probably would have given. On top of it, it isn't an airtight material. It would be like trying to suffocate someone with a piece of paper.

Whether you think the photo was "offensive" or "inappropriate" means nothing when it comes to the law.
I think the fact that some of you are so quick to jump on the abuse bandwagon is offensive.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by stevent0314

"The tape has chemicals on it that cause the adhesive effect and to put that over a 22 months mouth is stupid."

I just have to post this again, right after my last... just so I can clarify this.

The tape used (if you read the article again) was masking tape. I can assure you that there are much larger risks of her suffocating from normal everyday items and activities that you would not blink an eye at.

Maybe we should arrest life for putting our children in so much danger.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Did anyone else notice the way his comment was worded?

"This is wut happens wen my baby hits me 'back ; )"

"Back" would indicate that he hit her first. If that is the case, he should be executed to the fullest extent of the law. Er...I mean...prosecuted.

/TOA

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

Just because he said "back" does not mean that is the case. As much as you would probably like to believe that he hit her, there is no proof that he did or didn't.

Notice how you said "executed". Did that mean you really think he should be executed? Maybe so, but then why say prosecuted? What you just said about execution was (hopefully) a joke. It is a two way street. His joke was most likely to make it seem that he is abusive, while possibly being a very loving and caring father.

You nor I know this man. What we do know is he posted a picture and a line of text. He is stating that it was meant to be a joke. The same that your execution comment was meant to be a joke.

Edit: I did read a little deeper and realized you said "if that is the case" and would like to give credit to that, but at the same time I believe you are making an issue where there is none as my joke reasoning still stands. Therefore I do believe that you are leaning towards the "he did something wrong" area of thought when evidence (when viewed logically without prejudices) points otherwise.

Either way my joke reasoning will stay in hopes that someone will think about it before jumping to the "Omg! He said back! That means he hit her!!" train of thought.
edit on 29-1-2012 by Irritated because: Re-read and correction + opinion + explanation

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join