It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Is Our Real Purpose For Existing...Service To Others....Or Working On Perfecting Ourselves?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by MissSmartypants

S&F

wonderful topic my friend...

I'll be watching...

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by quedup

Originally posted by rigel4
It's all pointless, and in the end, entirely meaningless too.
Sorry

You are soooo entitled to your opinion - but I have worked with death and dying for 30 years and believe me - you won't think like this just prior to dying - if you do, you will be a pretty rare individual no matter what people tell you.

Do you mind me asking what it is you do?

I work in a similar atmosphere actually... It inspired me to make This topic...

link   

Originally posted by Son of Will
The answer is a process beginning with perfecting yourself, and when sufficient wisdom has been accumulated, use it as a service to others. The problem is that we are subjective creatures. There is no real way to know when you've accumulated enough knowledge/wisdom to be of any practical use to others, barring some technological invention. So we're left with instinct to make that decision. Eta: Personally, I'm hell-bent on unlocking some mysteries of the universe before focusing on others. Why offer bread crumbs, if you can hold out for a mountain of cookie dough?
edit on 7-1-2012 by Son of Will because: (no reason given)

Working toward Perfection is Key however waiting until you have the knowledge to help others is a bit like waiting until you learn to read every book you've ever picked up before you can tell a story.

Even the most illiterate among us can help his fellow man or any other form of life.

If you want to unlock the mysteries of life and the universe - look inside where all the answers lie!

Looking inside yourself is vital, yes... But without the help of scientifically-verified data, there is no way to conquer the brain's exquisite capacity for fallible logic and self-deception. The Double-Slit Experiment could never have been dreamed up from contemplation. Nor the well-proven phenomenon of quantum superposition. These are truths of reality that do not make intuitive sense - therefore, to comprehend truth we must minimize the role of intuition.

Only when this kind of data is acquired, in my opinion, can self-reflection become useful, and aid in the development of wisdom.

link   

Originally posted by rigel4
It's all pointless, and in the end, entirely meaningless too.
Sorry

That's just sad. . . .

I dont class the knowing of all my family & friends, the birth of my child and finding of my lover, worthless. Life's what you make it and by the way you worded what you said, you need to cheer up a wee bit.

Cheer up buddy, we may be limited in what we can do, but take full advantage of the hand you have been dealt - Its only you who can make your life have an actual point and when looking back at the end of it all - it's you who made it worthwhile

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

The answer is a process beginning with perfecting yourself, and when sufficient wisdom has been accumulated, use it as a service to others. The problem is that we are subjective creatures. There is no real way to know when you've accumulated enough knowledge/wisdom to be of any practical use to others, barring some technological invention. So we're left with instinct to make that decision. Eta: Personally, I'm hell-bent on unlocking some mysteries of the universe before focusing on others. Why offer bread crumbs, if you can hold out for a mountain of cookie dough?
edit on 7-1-2012 by Son of Will because: (no reason given)

Working toward Perfection is Key however waiting until you have the knowledge to help others is a bit like waiting until you learn to read every book you've ever picked up before you can tell a story.

Even the most illiterate among us can help his fellow man or any other form of life.

If you want to unlock the mysteries of life and the universe - look inside where all the answers lie!

Looking inside yourself is vital, yes... But without the help of scientifically-verified data, there is no way to conquer the brain's exquisite capacity for fallible logic and self-deception. The Double-Slit Experiment could never have been dreamed up from contemplation. Nor the well-proven phenomenon of quantum superposition. These are truths of reality that do not make intuitive sense - therefore, to comprehend truth we must minimize the role of intuition.

Only when this kind of data is acquired, in my opinion, can self-reflection become useful, and aid in the development of wisdom.

There is always and has always been a place for Scientific exploration/research/data however, we shall never, ever know how much there is to know - even given all the money and technology in the world - even given an extended life time.
We are here for a very short period - a blink in the universe and yes, we can pass the knowledge accumulated down to the next generation and so forth - as others have before us and in future - as is now, it will be debated and argued over or added to and enriched or even ridiculed. And if you believe the purpose of your life is for this reason then you were destined to do this - again, that is your choice - one of very many we make in our life time.

In the short period you are here (which isn't much time at all) there is nothing more valuable/inspirational/intuitive and more selfless than sharing with mankind NOW and FIRST then all else will come as our right and as our heritage. Only then will we be in a position to use Scientific Knowledge as it should be used and shared.

I liken it to (forgive me if others feel differently) Nuns/Monks/Bhuddists spending years and in some cases all their lives in isolation - away from the people and problems of the world. Yes they may be very Altruistic in their meditations/ prayers and thoughts but in deeds - what do they contribute to their fellow humans who suffer on a daily basis. Similarly - what does the Church do for the suffering people from whom they collect money and horde their many treasures. I don't see them "Feeding the Five Thousand" though they are Rich beyond belief - they may help a few of their own (as observed) 'Charity Begins At Home' But they forget, it doesn't End there.

Their prayers are valuable but no more valuable than mine or yours are - no one stands between you and God.

So in your short time - try listening to the Ancient Ones who passed down their Spiritual Knowledge of the Earth and the Souls upon it - there are some very valuable lessons to be learned and like them, if you still have the time to follow your other pursuits then that is good and fine but do not neglect the Kingdom that can only be found within. Every Answer you search for is right there - it is simply a matter of listening to that quiet voice within - whispering the answers to you - it doesn't ever shout the answers out loud because YOU ARE GIVEN FREE WILL!

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Retired now - Palliative Care -

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

therefore, to comprehend truth we must minimize the role of intuition.
reply to post by Son of Will

If by intuition you mean the preconditioned notion we have of how the world works....then yes.
But if by intuition you mean that internal voice or feeling that leads us down a certain path...then no we should not minimize intuition.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

S&F

wonderful topic my friend...

I'll be watching...

Thank you much, friend. Later.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

IMO we are here for both. Learn all you can, help out all you can. I know I feel a whole lot better when I can help someone out, even if it is only holding the door open for someone else. Perhaps re-incarnation is possible and we accumulate from life to life until we reach the true spiritual nature the creator intended for us.We have to overcome all the daarksyde of this world and seek the light.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

Same actually... geriatric/palative... though im far from retired

Nice to meet you

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissSmartypants
Our time is so limited here.....a mere plus or minus a hundred years....not much time to learn all the lessons we need to learn while here

I totally agree....I think about this allot actually.....what is our time here....how to place worth on this moment or that....spent doing this or that.....weighed against every other moment in our lives....our dark moments....our good times.....our saddest ugly.....our brightest joys.....what SHOULD we be doing with our time....?¿?¿?

I think that in the end it is whatever you see is necessary.....if you see there is no food...and your hunger resonates with another's....you or someone eventually becomes the "FEEDER"....
If you see lawlessness....eventually you or someone becomes the law....the order against the chaos..

you can choose to BE what is needed in any situation....but why you do.....that is secondary....instinct is protect life....you have to LEARN to kill for any action that is not self defense.....

yet we war with each other.....and at the same time HEAL each other....both we have learned....
but what is our very essence......¿?¿
LIFE....we are all amazed in some way with our very life....we yearn for its secrets...but not to gain power from them....but to know ourselves.....

will I regret the time I have spent lost in random parks throughout my city....running away from my problems....alone...wasting time...skipping school....smoking pot behind crap food stores or in damp dark place...
times I spent...being a prick....hating.....hurting.....PUKING MY EXISTANCE on every face I saw....NO

That was a road to here....I like it here.....it was hard to get here....and I like it because I know it's on the road to where I want to be......
where I want to be is not based on my flawed self now....or an imagined future "perfect" self...it is based on what my heart tells me....it is based on what my own eyes say to me in the mirror.....

Time is but a thing in passing....we are the stone that sinks to the bottomless pit of our consciousness...not the waves we make on the way down...

edit on 7-1-2012 by newyorkee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

I'd say both because we should better ourselves to grow and at the same time be there for others to help them grow and better themselves too. It's amazing what a kind, loving word or gesture can do for another. And sometimes they'll pass that along to the next person and the next, etc.

You give hate, you pass it on through the masses.
You give love and hope and peace and laughter, you pass that on as well.

Better yourself while helping the rest better as well

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

reply to post by Akragon

Same actually... geriatric/palative... though im far from retired

Nice to meet you

Keep up the GREAT WORK - Love to you my friend

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

u dont exist if u consider another objectively existing, u should know that u exist only from u as free right out of self awareness or conscious fact constant, the absolute constancy still is the affiliation relativity to truth fact so existing concept

when u consider another objective existence and since u cant mean another but from u as object too, then u stop being justified in the realm of existing by becoming a thing reality, while in reality logics objective is superior, that is why usually what mean to consider others cant end in that but out of extreme negative shapes
wether others abuse them from that constant superiority in objective hierarchy or they lie in their consideration by knowing how they must put others down first and put them outside others reality as subjectively above before claiming meaning them positively

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Take a couple of minutes to watch this very real angel walking among us - this fallen angel has regained his wings for sure:

BEAUTIFUL -
www.youtube.com...

(if someone could bring it across I'd truly appreciate it)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by quedup

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by psilo simon
Service to others and leading as selfless a life as possible is surely the same as working and perfecting oneself.

This is KEY!
...and does not work properly the other way around.

Paradoxically, service to others, is not an altogether altruistic pursuit...when viewed in context to the uplift of humanity as a whole...helping others...is helping yourself, ultimately...

Akushla

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by akushla99

helping another is never helping urself

helping another is only for god justification to urself as a thing created inferiority always

that is how ur notion of help mean only inferior states of being, u wont ever mean to help someone sucess growth or ambitions or to be above u

while helping onself cant b but from the free conscious sense out moves

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
so it, helping oneself is the free will, the free conscious cant b the self object so the self would be the free will form of being real

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

That was a road to here....I like it here.....it was hard to get here....and I like it because I know it's on the road to where I want to be......
reply to post by newyorkee

And let me be the first one to welcome you to "here". What took you so long? I've been waiting. Just kidding.
But what you're response tells me is we are here to grow and move forward ...towards some goal...in an endless sea of nows.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join