It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Is Our Real Purpose For Existing...Service To Others....Or Working On Perfecting Ourselves?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

our masters are the government? the elitists? i'm sure they aren't, i'm actually sure that we don't have a 'master'. i am also sorry, that you live the helpless life of disbelieving reincarnation. souls, energy, never dies.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Reproduction is all. We're here to pass on our genes.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I think uncle kurt summed it up nicely in my favorite novel of them all

“A purpose of human life, no matter who is controlling it, is to love whoever is around to be loved.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MissSmartypants

I think that mostly depends on whether or not you believe in existence after death.
If you think we're here for 60 years or so and when we die we don't continue on, then, yeah, I'd say live selfishly. But, if you believe we continue or even expand our existence after death, I'd say we're here to learn very specific lessons, to add our own unique creativity, and simply enjoy a physical existence (because life after death would most likely encompass many more models of existence than just 3-D physical reality).

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Certainly I believe that LOVING is a supremely high priority for our existential thrownness.
reply to post by BO XIAN

However, I don't see that as an abstract thing of some sort of nebulous foggy etherial OMMMMM sort of oneness.

Love may turn out to be one of nature's forces....in the same way electromagnetism or gravity are and may be just as necessary as they are to Creation's existence.

edit on 1/7/2012 by MissSmartypants because: grammar

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Love may turn out to be one of nature's forces....in the same way electromagnetism or gravity are and may be just as necessary as they are to Creation's existence.

Given my perspective . . .

my application of what you wrote would be that . . .

Given God's priority on LOVE, He may well have insured that it is a major aspect of the structure of all that is.

Certainly it is written that His Love keeps the fabric of reality running.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
IMHO the answer to the OP is both. My 6 year old twin girls, when I'm ever busy doing something around the apartment that is remotely intriguing, constantly ask if they can help. If they haven't done it before then they want to learn how, if they have done it before then they want to help/serve. I think through observation of those who are still "innocent" of the world as it is today we might gain some insight to the answer. It seems to be part of their "being-ness."

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Our governments assure that we struggle with attempting to survive each day, rather than achieving a higher level of conciousness. Keep the slaves desperate and stupid!

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
But...the government cannot control the people they themselves have trained to live off of the land. That is the governments threat!

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

I forgot who said this quote but it said that the purpose of life is a life full of purpose. It is very important to help grow ourselves and also at the same time become selfless beings and help others.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I don't believe there is a purpose to life.. .You create your destiny as a painter forms his creation on canvas.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   

My 6 year old twin girls, when I'm ever busy doing something around the apartment that is remotely intriguing, constantly ask if they can help.
reply to post by ascafidi

If you are doing something mind numbingly boring or downright unpleasant...are they as eager to help? Is the offer of help truly to be of service to someone or because they have a need to learn and grow?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
to discover one's intrinsic nature.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Serving others is suppose to be perfecting yourself.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by biggmoneyme
to discover one's intrinsic nature.

I like that answer. Perhaps our purpose is to discover who and what we really are.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
The way I see it is that we aren't distinct entities with a purpose, just part of the greater universal scheme. So we have no purpose, other than to simply exist.
That said, while we are here, we may as well do our best to make our existence as pleasant as possible.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by SprocketUK
The way I see it is that we aren't distinct entities with a purpose, just part of the greater universal scheme. So we have no purpose, other than to simply exist.
That said, while we are here, we may as well do our best to make our existence as pleasant as possible.

Sigh.....so, another person with no purpose. I guess you're basically just taking up space then.
Well, as an infintisimally small fractal portion of God, I do have some sort of purpose. And perhaps part of my purpose is to find out what my purpose is.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

But, if you believe we continue or even expand our existence after death, I'd say we're here to learn very specific lessons, to add our own unique creativity, and simply enjoy a physical existence (because life after death would most likely encompass many more models of existence than just 3-D physical reality).
reply to post by MahtukYonder

I do believe to some extent that God created us in part to be able to experience joy through us.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissSmartypants

Originally posted by SprocketUK

Sigh.....so, another person with no purpose. I guess you're basically just taking up space then.
Well, as an infintisimally small fractal portion of God, I do have some sort of purpose. And perhaps part of my purpose is to find out what my purpose is.

You utterly failed to grasp my point there.
How can you be content unless you understand the nature of existence?
Anyway, when you get some time, have a look into Tibetan Buddhism, it may clarify the point I tried to make.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissSmartypants

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

Both.

DING! DING! DING! DING! We have a winner, ladies and gentlemen!
And even our most selfless, secret acts of kindness to others will still unavoidably lead us forward in our journey to enlightenment.

"What we do only for ourselves dies with us, but what we do for our fellow man, lives on in eternity."
~ Albert Pike

Ironically, his life devolved into debauchery and self indulgence, but truth is truth no matter who utters it.

In the Bagavad Gita, we are given the concept of Bhakti, which is loving, devotional service to others as the highest expression of the love of God. To experience it, is to experience that which is eternal, and perfect, within us, so yeah, the process of perfecting one's self involves pouring ourselves out in the pursuit of being helpful to others AND to ourselves. I call it an "enlightened mutual self interest". If this brings a smile to your face, and the sense of emerging bubbles of laughter wishing to break through to the surface of your personality, then you get it, you "grok", to borrow a strange term from Robert Heinlein's "A Stranger in a Strange Land". If, on the other hand, it pains you to think of all the stuff you might have to do for other people to prove your worth... then the jokes on you!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join