It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Is Our Real Purpose For Existing...Service To Others....Or Working On Perfecting Ourselves?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Our time is so limited here.....a mere plus or minus a hundred years....not much time to learn all the lessons we need to learn while here. Especially when most of us spend so much of that time going backwards. Should we concentrate our time and efforts on personal growth in order to be the best we can to honor our Creator, or should we live purely selfless lives devoted to serving others?
Let us ponder this together, shall we?
edit on 1/7/2012 by MissSmartypants because: shorten

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Well at the moment we're conditioned to server our masters- Work, pay taxes, reproduce to continue the cycle and then die.

But i think if we wasn't conditioned into this way of life then id say we're on this planet and our purpose of been here is to prosper through every possible way we can. Our nature is to love and care for one and other, but we're conditioned to hate one another through every aspect that's seems superficially different which is colour, nationality, size and every other thing you can imagine. If we got rid of that nasty element of our species we would be able to fully prosper.

So yeah, again, i think our real human nature (not conditioned behavior) is to help one an other through love and care to help each other to prosper/thrive in any department an individual wants to further our species collectively
edit on 7-1-2012 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
From the way it feels,

lately,

hmm, have to say,

A service to the others.

When going to school,

Perfecting myself and having my time away from the craziness.

edit on 7-1-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I believe we can help to perfect ourselves through devoting ourselves to others

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MissSmartypants

It is up to Each Individual to make that Choice Grasshopper , what say you ? .........

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

So yeah, again, i think our real human nature (not conditioned behavior) is to help one an other through love and care to help each other to prosper/thrive in any department an individual wants to further our species collectively
reply to post by n00bUK

My natural inclination seems to be to concentrate on myself...but as a caring person I help others when the situation presents itself. And of course by serving others we do enhance our own personal growth as well.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
its about helping others become better, and growing maturing yourself is just a constellation.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zanti Misfit

It is up to Each Individual to make that Choice Grasshopper , what say you ? .........

Ahh...a true smartypants. There is no one answer for everyone...but each according to his own personal journey.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by knightsofcydonia
its about helping others become better, and growing maturing yourself is just a constellation.

Yes, but is it right if we help others solely to make ourselves better people?
I mean would it still count....karma wise and all?
edit on 1/7/2012 by MissSmartypants because: more info

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
The answer is a process beginning with perfecting yourself, and when sufficient wisdom has been accumulated, use it as a service to others. The problem is that we are subjective creatures. There is no real way to know when you've accumulated enough knowledge/wisdom to be of any practical use to others, barring some technological invention. So we're left with instinct to make that decision. Eta: Personally, I'm hell-bent on unlocking some mysteries of the universe before focusing on others. Why offer bread crumbs, if you can hold out for a mountain of cookie dough?
edit on 7-1-2012 by Son of Will because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I personally think we should be kind to ourselves and others....forgive ourselves and others....learn to love ourselves and others.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissSmartypants

reply to post by n00bUK

My natural inclination seems to be to concentrate on myself...but as a caring person I help others when the situation presents itself. And of course by serving others we do enhance our own personal growth as well.

That is everyones' natural inclination - self self self - that is why we are here - we're all Fallen Angels and until we learn that we are all one and 'to think of others as thine self ' we will continue to return.

We have lived many many lives - we have been Rish, Poor, A Beggar, A thief, Disabled, Famous, Kings, Servants, Black, White and have experienced every possible life you can imagine - All with the one aim - to teach us that we are ONE - How long will it take for us to realize this????? There is no such thing as Time!

Yes many of us help when the opportunity presents itself - how many go looking for those opportunities?????

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

I am Not a " smartypants" , I just answered your Question with a Hint of Recognition (Grasshopper) , to the Age Old Musings of Philosophy . If " Free Will " Truely Exists , then Each of us has that Choice to make . Selflessness or Selfishness......

edit on 7-1-2012 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Son of Will
The answer is a process beginning with perfecting yourself, and when sufficient wisdom has been accumulated, use it as a service to others. The problem is that we are subjective creatures. There is no real way to know when you've accumulated enough knowledge/wisdom to be of any practical use to others, barring some technological invention. So we're left with instinct to make that decision. Eta: Personally, I'm hell-bent on unlocking some mysteries of the universe before focusing on others. Why offer bread crumbs, if you can hold out for a mountain of cookie dough?
edit on 7-1-2012 by Son of Will because: (no reason given)

Working toward Perfection is Key however waiting until you have the knowledge to help others is a bit like waiting until you learn to read every book you've ever picked up before you can tell a story.

Even the most illiterate among us can help his fellow man or any other form of life.

If you want to unlock the mysteries of life and the universe - look inside where all the answers lie!

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
It's all pointless, and in the end, entirely meaningless too.
Sorry

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Service to others and leading as selfless a life as possible is surely the same as working and perfecting oneself.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissSmartypants

Originally posted by knightsofcydonia

Yes, but is it right if we help others solely to make ourselves better people?
I mean would it still count....karma wise and all?
edit on 1/7/2012 by MissSmartypants because: more info

"Is it right if we help otheres solely to make ourselves better people" That depends - Do you do it because it strokes your Ego or are we doing it because of true altruism because we know it's the right thing to do.

More importantly - Do we tell anyone what we did? That is the question. Most people do - which means it's all about their Ego.

Support/Help/Assist/Feed/Shelter your fellow man - but remain Silent

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Personally, I'm hell-bent on unlocking some mysteries of the universe before focusing on others. Why offer bread crumbs, if you can hold out for a mountain of cookie dough?
reply to post by Son of Will

Yes, I have that same drive to know along with the nagging awareness of time slipping away. Like the Bible says... you can't get the splinter out of your neighbor's eye if you have a board sticking out of your own eye.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4
It's all pointless, and in the end, entirely meaningless too.
Sorry

You are soooo entitled to your opinion - but I have worked with death and dying for 30 years and believe me - you won't think like this just prior to dying - if you do, you will be a pretty rare individual no matter what people tell you.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Well, helping others could be a result of our striving to become better or perhaps trying to help others and be of service to them is what helps us advance and mature. I think that they are both interconnected and I believe that maturation works both ways.

I believe that being of service could be seen as our cosmic duty and our desire to mature and evolve could stem from the "spiritual gravity" of God whose presence draws us all towards him.

edit on 7-1-2012 by Alexander1111 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join