It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are Jesus's views on Vegetarian Diet?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

I am so happy to learn that you tried a vegetarian diet for some time.

Thanks for the information.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by vedatruth

Vedatruth, you really are putting your neck out at great risk, I flag and star you for your bravery.
Also, a very good find, content wise.

Vegetarianism is the only humane diet on this planet. Have been brought up in a veggie house and am astonished at the way people can eat a piece of body, that belonged to a living walking breathing creature that had a face with eyes.

It is a harsh world we live in. Most people's perceptions have been totally vailed from what they are doing when eating flesh.

They shall not kill!

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by vedatruth
I have found the following quotes of Jesus about vegetarian diet:

It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor anything whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak. Romans 14:21

Meats for the belly, and belly for meats; but God shall destroy both it and them. Now the body is not for fornication but for the Lord; and the Lord for the body. Corinthians 6: 13

Would appreciate views on this.

edit on 8-11-2011 by vedatruth because: (no reason given)

The first verse should be taken in the context with the whole statement. You should not do things that might offend someone else in their own faith because they might have weaker faith. This applies more to the laws regarding hospitality.

Think about it for a moment, smokers usually go away from non-smokers, because of the consideration toward the non-smoker. We would not eat bacon in front of a kosher-keeping person because we do not want to be inconsiderate toward their faith. That is what the meaning of this is, just be polite and considerate when around others. In other words, don't act like a Homer Simpson or Peter Griffin, just have manners and consideration of other peoples feelings.

Now for the second verse, why does it use the term fornication in this context. Fornication is a sexual sin. In other words, even though you might just be living a life of do whatever you want, when you want, then you have to realize there will be consequences for actions in this life. The eating meat here is not just about eating for necessity, but being hedonistic about it. That is why sexual immorality is placed on the same level. In those days, austerity was shown in how much they ate.

Only the wealthy could afford meat all the time, but Jesus was not against the wealthy, He was against those who lived in austerity not considering those around them.
Typically, those people who lived the lifestyle of austerity, would have those giant parties in which a lot of meat was consumed and then they hired prostitutes. It's not the meat, it was hedonism He was referring to.

edit on 11/8/2011 by WarminIndy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
atheism.about.com...

30 And the apostles gathered themselves together unto Jesus, and told him all things, both what they had done, and what they had taught. 31 And he said unto them, Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while: for there were many coming and going, and they had no leisure so much as to eat. 32 And they departed into a desert place by ship privately. 33 And the people saw them departing, and many knew him, and ran afoot thither out of all cities, and outwent them, and came together unto him. 34 And Jesus, when he came out, saw much people, and was moved with compassion toward them, because they were as sheep not having a shepherd: and he began to teach them many things. 35 And when the day was now far spent, his disciples came unto him, and said, This is a desert place, and now the time is far passed: 36 Send them away, that they may go into the country round about, and into the villages, and buy themselves bread: for they have nothing to eat. 37 He answered and said unto them, Give ye them to eat. And they say unto him, Shall we go and buy two hundred pennyworth of bread, and give them to eat? 38 He saith unto them, How many loaves have ye? go and see. And when they knew, they say, Five, and two fishes. 39 And he commanded them to make all sit down by companies upon the green grass. 40 And they sat down in ranks, by hundreds, and by fifties. 41 And when he had taken the five loaves and the two fishes, he looked up to heaven, and blessed, and brake the loaves, and gave them to his disciples to set before them; and the two fishes divided he among them all. 42 And they did all eat, and were filled. 43 And they took up twelve baskets full of the fragments, and of the fishes. 44 And they that did eat of the loaves were about five thousand men.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnlimitedSky

Vegetarianism is the only humane diet on this planet. Have been brought up in a veggie house and am astonished at the way people can eat a piece of body, that belonged to a living walking breathing creature that had a face with eyes.
They shall not kill!

Some of those living walking breathing creatures with faces would have no problem eating you for dinner.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Why should anyone care about a fairy-tale man's views on a vegetarian diet? You might as well just ask Bilbo Baggins what his opinion on the subject is as well.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Great topic OP. I had a spiritual epiphany last year and one of the things that I intuitively knew was if I wanted to be perfect I'd have to stop eating meat.

Thanks for the link to the Gospel of Peace. I've read some of the Gnostic gospels but I was unaware of these essene texts. Great stuff!

Listen.. I know meat is delicious.. but that's it. It's not particularly healthy and you perpetuate suffering by eating it. Why should your craving for the pleasure of eating meat be more important than the animal's suffering?

Even if you don't care about the animal's suffering, the environmental impact of meat is huge. Again why should the pleasure of eating meat be more important that the future and well being of the planet?

I'll leave you with some intelligent words from some intelligent guys:

Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. --Albert Einstein

For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love. --Pythagoras (6th century BC)

A man can live and be healthy without killing animals for food; therefore, if he eats meat, he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake of his appetite. --Leo Tolstoy

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by dalan.

An apprentice of Satan?

So Jesus is a fairy tale but Satan is real

Or is that just there to piss people off? I don't get it..

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by vedatruth

Originally posted by kingofmd
You qouted from Romans, and Corinthians which were Paul's letters. Then you quote form a strange translation that is not even considered authorized.

Jesus' words right after the flood:

Genesis 9:3,4
Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.
But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.

I don't know how more clear He could have been?

I understand that there are many versions of Bible. Is it possible to compare side by side what these versions say about vegetarian food / eating meat.

I shall appreciate any online resource that you can point.

www.biblegateway.com

NIV
Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything

NLT
I have given them to you for food, just as I have given you grain and vegetables

ASV
Every moving thing that liveth shall be food for you; As the green herb have I given you all

NASB
Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you, (A)as I gave the green plant.

AMP
Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you; and as I gave you the green vegetables and plants, I give you everything.

Plenty of more English versions to choose from, lots of different languages also if you like. Greek and Hebrew too

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Erm. He is the creator in person. He originally designed us to subsist on plants and fruits (namely the tree of life)although that kinda changed after the fall from grace.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

Think about it for a moment, smokers usually go away from non-smokers, because of the consideration toward the non-smoker. We would not eat bacon in front of a kosher-keeping person because we do not want to be inconsiderate toward their faith. That is what the meaning of this is, just be polite and considerate when around others. In other words, don't act like a Homer Simpson or Peter Griffin, just have manners and consideration of other peoples feelings

Lol, yeah right. If they were really considerate they would stop smoking altogether because second hand smoke is more dangerous than the initial puffs. I know people that are dying from lung cancer due to having family members that smoke when they never puffed on a cigarette in their entire lives. Terrible burden to bear for a smoker to have to deal with the truth they killed a family member by giving them lung cancer from second hand smoke.

In this day and age manners and consideration are rarely taught. Instead they will likely ask you to have some consideration for them and allow them to smoke even though its your health that is going to suffer. As for me if they don't leave, i will leave becaus ei am allergic to cigarette/cigar smoke and it makes my throat swell up to where i can barely breathe or swallow.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
correct me if i'm wrong, but i seem to remember J-Dawg being quite the meat eater:

"Man does not live on bread alone...he requires a medium-rare filet AT LEAST once a month"

"Let he with no sin cast the first mcnugget"

"this very night, before the rooster crows and i have my morning brisket , you will disown me three times."

case closed.

but seriously...He told the people that they didn't have to sacrifice animals anymore...He didn't tell them that they couldn't eat them anymore...

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
What I think when I read your thread is what would happen to all animals if we did not eat meat or fish? Say we made a technology that could give ous meat without killing animals. What would happen to all cows, cattle, sheep and chickens? Temporary mass killing since they have no purpose anymore for us? We would still need to hunt some to keep down the certain wildlife at a suitable level so that they don't eat to much food that we are growing. It seems to be the karma that is the issue. I wan't laws that make the life of the animal as natural as possible but will still eat meat. I am more sensitive to longterm suffering of an animal than the act of killing it. I would rather that people ate cattle and pig and stoped eating ocean wildlife since we are fishing out the oceans. Also completle stop eating wildlife that is not increasing in number. We need to find a balance and let earth get some time to grow back to what she once was. Cats eat meat and kill sometimes and I don't think they have a karma problem. It's the middle way that is the key. Responsible use of the resources and evolving of knowledge and technology. And always use the tools we have with caution. Namaste

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by apushforenlightment

Japanese scientists have come up with a way to make meat from Human Feces.. So there is always that option.. Mmmmm.. =)

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Don't forget
1 timothy 4 KJV

1Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

2Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

3Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

4For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
edit on 8-11-2011 by overratedpatriotism because: felt like it

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
reply to post by WarminIndy

Lol, yeah right. If they were really considerate they would stop smoking altogether because second hand smoke is more dangerous than the initial puffs. I know people that are dying from lung cancer due to having family members that smoke when they never puffed on a cigarette in their entire lives. Terrible burden to bear for a smoker to have to deal with the truth they killed a family member by giving them lung cancer from second hand smoke.

In this day and age manners and consideration are rarely taught. Instead they will likely ask you to have some consideration for them and allow them to smoke even though its your health that is going to suffer. As for me if they don't leave, i will leave becaus ei am allergic to cigarette/cigar smoke and it makes my throat swell up to where i can barely breathe or swallow.

I smoke but I never smoke in the presence of non-smokers. I would never do that because I realize they do not and should not be exposed to second-hand smoke. It is wrong on the part of the smoker to do that.

But then again, I would not tell someone they could not smoke in their own home and I always have the choice to sit there or not. But children should not be exposed and smokers need to realize that they are endangering their children by smoking in front of them. But I suppose not all smokers are like me, I would never smoke where a non-smoker is, that is just rude.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

I can think of much more important issues to be thinking about.
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

Hehe I just had to say....like exposing the evil's of Wicca?

Anyways.....isn't there a story about Jesus feeding a whole bunch of people with two fish? Oh right.....some vegetarians think fish is some mysterious non meat substance....

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

My view on this?

Folks are going to have to figure this out on their own (with great fear and trembling
).

OP, veadatruth?

You are going to have to source that material from the 'Essene Book of John', please, before I go any further. Not complaining, but if I am going to participate I need to be sure we are on the same sheet of music, so to speak.

Thanks in advance.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

Why so aggressive? I think it is a valid point and thread. Some Christian denominations encourage vegetarianism, the bible encourages a vegetarian diet

Daniel 1:11-16
Daniel then said to the guard whom the chief official had appointed over him: "Please test your servants for ten days: Give us nothing but vegetables to eat and water to drink. Then compare our appearance with that of the young men who eat the royal food, and treat your servants in accordance with what you see." So he agreed to this and tested them for ten days. At the end of the ten days they looked healthier and better nourished than any of the young men who ate the royal food. So the guard took away their meat and the wine they were to drink and gave them vegetables instead.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

My problem is called Biltong!

My sons will join me, but my husband, does not think dinner is dinner without meat.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join