It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are Jesus's views on Vegetarian Diet?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by My_Reality

People live in very cold climate with purely vegetarian food.

Nobody has asked anybody to live in a cold desert. People should live in a place where food can be grown.

The butter made of milk of Yak helps Tibetans through the cold month. There are Tibetan monks who eat very little meat, and survive mainly on bread and Yak butter.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by savagediver
ACTS 10: 10-32

10And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,

11And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending upon him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:

12Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.

13And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

14But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.

15And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

16This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.

Just some verses for reflection. I think you should pray on it and then follow your heart. This is in the new testament and is pertaining to the acceptance and behavoir towards the gentiles I believe.

Hope I dont steer anyone wrong , I think it is good to read, pray , and think on these things. Maybe we should think about how we come about meat more than just if we eat it.

Are these Jesus's words?

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Foxy1
reply to post by vedatruth

the rough weeks of starvation the animal would be going through would be more suffering than a split second flash of a bullet going through its heart. it would be a walking sack of bones and skin waiting to die to release its pain. you say this is ordained by god. I think god is sort of the alpha and omega, he knew before he created deer that men would hunt them. And knowing this he probally made it where their teeth would fall out causing them imeasureable pain of starvation, making it where men felt it was their duty to use them as they see fit. he made us masters of animals of the air sea and land. ive never hunted in my life but I would feel less guilty about killing a deer than I would ordering a hamburger at a fast food joint. If you want to talk about karma do you even think about the animal when you bite into that burger? or do you only see a burger and as a burger and not the tree because of the forrest?

No. You have no right to judge what kind of pain that deer suffers from starvation.

The religion is a set of rules for man. Otherwise every person thinks he is right. There are a lot of people who kill other people and justify that as well. Such justifications have no meaning or value.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

giving pain and pleasure is is gods job? so when I read a book that brings me pleasure it is shameful because a man wrote it?

First the example of 'reading a book' has no relationship whatsoever to killing an animal.

Second, every living being including man gets good times and bad times (hunger, disease, pain etc) due to karma (we call it 'dev' or due to God).

Every living being dies a natural death including man. Birth and death are universal facts of life.

When you kill an animal, you prolong its suffering, as it has to come back into the same life to complete its share of karmas. If it dies natural death, it does not have to come back. By killing it, you create bad karma for yourself as well.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

When the indians hunted buffalo or deer they used every portion of the animal. They also kneel down and say a prayer as ritual custom thanking and apologising at the same time. without the skins and food provided they would not have been able to make teepees and feed their children since they were a nomadic culture. I think it is worse karma to undermine their way of living than the actual killing of the animal itself.

Indians did not have the benefit of preach of Jesus.

Ignorance is the cause of sins. It is not about lifestyle. People do change lifestyle when taught. You went to college which changed your lifestyle. You no longer live the same as uneducated man.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I cannot believe he would have said this, simply because in my view it is directly contradictory to what is said in Genesis. Didn't God say that the animals were put here for man's benefit? That is what I thought at least. Hmm. Doesn't make sense to me.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by My_Reality
reply to post by greenCo

Indeed, you have the possibility to eat whatever you want. But also you have the "possibility" to kill another people and you aren´t doing it. Possibilities are endless but at the end its your choice. You CAN live without eating flesh and that is a FACT.

Perhaps. However, good luck surviving in a cold climate in the past with only a loincloth and a fire. You will freeze quickly without the animal fur coat providing warmth. Animals have more uses than merely food.

The skin of animals can be taken from dead animals as well.
There is no problem in using animal skin for clothing. But do you have to kill for that - when you know every animal eventually dies, and will give you the skin anyway.

Even if you kill an animal for skin, do you have to eat the meat???

edit on 8-11-2011 by vedatruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaDreamer
you can have my Bacon when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!!!

silly premise, Jesus was a Hebrew, and lived under the Mosaic covenant. Jesus ate what all other Hebrews ate, and yes that includes meat.

Dont you have to kill a living being to eat...anything??? evil plant murderers are no less guilty than us baconvores.

I believe Jesus transformed into a preacher. He did speak against jewish customs. So there are two phases in Jesus life, so to speak, but I could be wrong.

I am looking for only what he said in his preach, which is included in Bible(s), words that are directly attributed to him.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Thia was after Jesus had risen. My guess was it was the holy spirit , an angel of the Lord , Jesus or God himself. It is not really clear to me.
Peter was very close to Jesus while he walk as a man and I tend to believe what he said is true and came from the Holy Spirit, Jesus , or God. I feel that if the message came from God ultimately , that Jesus would be behind that message. Just my opinion.
As I said before maybe we should think on how we get that meat and are we truely thankful for it. I have thought on this many times and feel bad about the modern animal farms and how the animals are treated. I wish I had some more answers myself. I wish I raised what I ate or hunted for it in the wild but I dont and I do question the methods of how that meat makes it to my plate. For now, I give thanks to God for my food and I thank the animal whose live was taken for my food. If I am sinning I pray for forgiveness and just maybe I will try to eat more fruits and veggies. Would prooly be good for my health.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by apushforenlightment
What I think when I read your thread is what would happen to all animals if we did not eat meat or fish? Say we made a technology that could give ous meat without killing animals. What would happen to all cows, cattle, sheep and chickens? Temporary mass killing since they have no purpose anymore for us? We would still need to hunt some to keep down the certain wildlife at a suitable level so that they don't eat to much food that we are growing. It seems to be the karma that is the issue. I wan't laws that make the life of the animal as natural as possible but will still eat meat. I am more sensitive to longterm suffering of an animal than the act of killing it. I would rather that people ate cattle and pig and stoped eating ocean wildlife since we are fishing out the oceans. Also completle stop eating wildlife that is not increasing in number. We need to find a balance and let earth get some time to grow back to what she once was. Cats eat meat and kill sometimes and I don't think they have a karma problem. It's the middle way that is the key. Responsible use of the resources and evolving of knowledge and technology. And always use the tools we have with caution. Namaste

The meat you eat is raised in a farm. The same farm can be used for growing crops.
If people did not eat meat, there will be no need for farms to grow livestock for meat. So there is no question of animal population increasing.

The milk of cows, buffaloes, goat etc. is sufficient to provide needed animal protein.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
A human cannot be compared to an animal eating meat. The religion or God's laws are applicable to humans only.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by raiders247
reply to post by akushla99

Where in the Bible does it say that you may only kill things without a heartbeat?

Heart beat or not, you are killing LIVE plants to consume the dead edible parts.

I think the Bible was written to confuse people and start arguments/conflicts, thats all its really ever done...

Great Sci-Fi material though if you can get past the numerous discrepancies.

Err...thou shalt not kill?!

Happen to see that anywhere?

The topic is not so much about 'the bible', as it is about what Jimmy Jesus may or may not have said about eating flesh.
...and I agree somewhat...but, I believe that an interpretation of an interpretation of an interpretation is not something that should be argued about.
I have come across, invited fundies into my home to debate the finer points of the 'word of God'...one of my first questions is always...do you eat meat, and how do you reconcile this with...thou shalt not kill?

...blank stares ensue!
...apparently my version is an 'interpretation'...however, as I studiously always point out...we are talking about the 'word of God'...

The first 24 years of my life were meat eating years...lambs brains, kidneys, raw mince...etc...I actually have nothing against meat eaters, i don't preach a non-meat diet, but answer silly statements like...you'll die if you don't eat meat...or, the finer points of herbivore and omnivore biology.

I never mentioned 'heart beats', in relation to the bible...what was being said was that flesh and blood, plants are NOT. If you cut your arm off, it does not regrow! Plant limbs do...

Akushla

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by My_Reality
reply to post by UnlimitedSky

Originally posted by UnlimitedSky

Vedatruth, you really are putting your neck out at great risk, I flag and star you for your bravery.
Also, a very good find, content wise.

Vegetarianism is the only humane diet on this planet. Have been brought up in a veggie house and am astonished at the way people can eat a piece of body, that belonged to a living walking breathing creature that had a face with eyes.

It is a harsh world we live in. Most people's perceptions have been totally vailed from what they are doing when eating flesh.

They shall not kill!

I am equally astonished at how you can eat food that is ripped from the organism that it is a part of. I don't see the difference. Your fruits and vegetables WILL spoil and decay after they are harvested due to the fact that they no longer receive nutritious life from the plant they were taken from. I love how vegee freaks justify this in their mind.

The difference here is that if you were to leave the fruit it will simply fall off the tree anyway. Fruit and veggies are made for human consumption, as you do not experiece the small agony caused to the tree when you pick its fruit. We were made not to perceive the tree 'crying'. Whereas, if you catch an animal and start stabbing it or whatever, you will be traumatised by the screams of pain and agony (if you have a heart). Of course, repeated practise of killing numbs the senses and eventually the human is used to it and thinks nothing of it. Sadly.

Yet, when they (especially children) bond with a little lamb or pig or dog, there is no way in their minds that they will eat their beloved pet. It is called conditioning.

Meat eaters have been conditioned not to feel anything. To justify it cause they cannot imagine a life without it. Very sad indeed.

Another clear example to support life being shaped for vegetarianism is that an animal will most certainly run away if you try to hurt it. I tree wont.

Humans have shaped their habits and lives to support the use of animal products in order to justify this cruelty. In truth, there is absolutely no need in any aspect of life, to kill an animal. It is a mere illusion, created by greed and insensitivity to promote financial gain and cruelty. There is no animal product that could not be replaced (to a huge advantage to humans and animals) by plant based products.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
A short story to further support vegatarianism:

My husband has 8 siblings. He is Italian and as kids they were extremely poor.

One day his father was given a live eel (for supper) which he brought home in a bucket of water. The old man put it in the bath filled with water to keep it fresh. All day long the kids were fascinated by the eel and spent the whole day in the bathroom.

Suppertime, all 9 children refused to eat the eel. Every last one of them cried bitterly at the piece of eel on their plates refused to eat it.

If you were to bond with the owner of the flesh you are eating, you will absolutely not eat it. Unless you have been de-sensitised for years, and can no longer feel. Children are still quit clean and still have deep compassion for animals. Sadly, many adults are numb, through years of conditioning.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

Welcome to the real world!

Africa at its best.

Interestingly enough, one of those animals that could have eaten me alive, a massive male baboon, supplied me with one of the most extraordinary experiences of my life.

I was 11 and we lived on a very 'raw' farm. No electricity, fountain water that was pumped up to the house, hot water once a day made inside a drum over a fire, (called a donkey) etc etc. Wonderful! Best years of my life!

One day I had to run down to the pump, through the 'bamboo swamp' and wild bush to go tell my brother to put off the pump, the water tank was full.
As I rounded the corner of the footpath through the bush, running, I stopped just in time to find myself about 2meters from a massive male baboon. My entire body went lame. We both just stood there looking at each other. We looked right into each others eyes and I could actually see the sienna specks in his eyes. It felt like hours but was probably seconds. Then he broke eye contact, threw his head back, opened his mouth, displaying these extremely long eyeteeth, and gave one "bbbbbaaaaahaaaaa" deep and loud baboon 'bark'.

He then turned around and ran away.

He did not eat me, or attac me. Mountain baboons are extremely dangerous and can kill you. They are not monkeys.

It was one of the most connecting eye contact experiences I ever had. Love thinking about it, reliving it. Cant explain the power he fed me with.

Eat them? naaaaah, never!

edit on 9-11-2011 by UnlimitedSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   

I am so moved by your experience.

I know this for sure that most of the meat eaters are totally disconnected from reality of meat. At least half of them would never eat meat again if everybody has to kill his own food.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by akushla99

I never mentioned 'heart beats', in relation to the bible...what was being said was that flesh and blood, plants are NOT. If you cut your arm off, it does not regrow! Plant limbs do...

Agreed it is NOT flesh and blood, however, there are many types of fruit bearing plants that do not regenerate new fruit once it has been "killed". We can go in circles for days with this... Flesh and blood is an interpretation, not an excerpt right?

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by raiders247

Originally posted by akushla99

Agreed it is NOT flesh and blood, however, there are many types of fruit bearing plants that do not regenerate new fruit once it has been "killed". We can go in circles for days with this... Flesh and blood is an interpretation, not an excerpt right?

That's kinda silly...what is able to 'regenerate', once it has been killed?

...an interpretation of what?

...blood is not sap, flesh is not fruit or vegetable skin...

...animals have blood and flesh, so do humans...

Whats to interpret?

Akushla

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by vedatruth
reply to post by My_Reality

People live in very cold climate with purely vegetarian food.

Nobody has asked anybody to live in a cold desert. People should live in a place where food can be grown.

The butter made of milk of Yak helps Tibetans through the cold month. There are Tibetan monks who eat very little meat, and survive mainly on bread and Yak butter.

Eskimos and Inuits eat whale and fish. They live where little vegetation grows and their religion permits them to eat meat.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by vedatruth

I am so moved by your experience.

I know this for sure that most of the meat eaters are totally disconnected from reality of meat. At least half of them would never eat meat again if everybody has to kill his own food.

Humans ate meat for thousands of years before Hinduism told them they should not. Native Americans ate meat long after Hinduism came along and said they should not, and yet Native Americans also revered nature and respected the animals they killed but they felt no remorse over it. This whole vegetarian thing came about because of a religious notion, whereas other religions permit it. If someone feels they should not eat it within their own religious faith, they should say so instead of saying others should not.

Humans survived hundreds of thousands of years eating meat. Only within societies that ate predominantly meat, those people were actually stronger. Those societies that ate only grains had shorter life spans. Meat became a commodity for wealthy people that poor people could not have and that is why poor people died younger.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join