It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are Jesus's views on Vegetarian Diet?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by WarminIndy

Originally posted by vedatruth
reply to post by UnlimitedSky

I am so moved by your experience.

I know this for sure that most of the meat eaters are totally disconnected from reality of meat. At least half of them would never eat meat again if everybody has to kill his own food.

Humans ate meat for thousands of years before Hinduism told them they should not. Native Americans ate meat long after Hinduism came along and said they should not, and yet Native Americans also revered nature and respected the animals they killed but they felt no remorse over it. This whole vegetarian thing came about because of a religious notion, whereas other religions permit it. If someone feels they should not eat it within their own religious faith, they should say so instead of saying others should not.

Humans survived hundreds of thousands of years eating meat. Only within societies that ate predominantly meat, those people were actually stronger. Those societies that ate only grains had shorter life spans. Meat became a commodity for wealthy people that poor people could not have and that is why poor people died younger.

First of all there is NO hinduism as hinduism cannot be defined as a religion. So any discussion or quotation of hinduism is meaningless. If you want to say 'shaiv' or 'vaishnav' or 'shakt', I am ready to listen.

You think meat eaters are stronger and live longer. What proof do you have? Except that rich people tend to eat meat? Even vegetarian rich people have better health and live longer because they can afford BETTER NUTRITION and better healthcare.

We are discussing religion here. So yes, there are/were societies predominantly meat-eating but Native Americans cannot be called role models for everybody.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by WarminIndy

First of all there is NO hinduism as hinduism cannot be defined as a religion. So any discussion or quotation of hinduism is meaningless. If you want to say 'shaiv' or 'vaishnav' or 'shakt', I am ready to listen.

According to religioustolerance.org, it is a religion, albeit different than other organized religions.
www.religioustolerance.org...

And why can't Native Americans be role models if other people can be? Are Native Americans not good enough to be role models when it comes to loose religious organization, which is exactly what you would have us believe Hinduism is?

It's funny when people say "My point of view is right" without offering proof of their statements, then asking for proof when someone else posts a point of view. I am going to be like many other people and say my point of view is right because I say it is.
edit on 11/9/2011 by WarminIndy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

So it is a religion because some website says so? Most people that you talk to will say it is a 'way of life'.

A religion must have a moral/ethical code in addition to a set of rituals. If everybody is free to believe what he wants - then it cannot be a religion.

As for native americans being role models - how many people have accepted them as a role model as % of total humanity??? Compare that to Christians.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by vedatruth

Dearest Veda,

Having lived on this planet in this body for 43 years, I can say with a clear consciouns that I have been having this conversation with meat eaters for at least 35 years.

At some point I came to a place where I just realised, you absolutely cannot influence how these people think. You will find that while you are having this conversation, your sense of harmony is probably not as balanced as usual. I don't know how long you have walked this loving, openminded path that is evident in your posts on this thread, but perhaps in deu time you will also find that it simply drains you at the end of the day.

On the other hand, it is a process that is probably necesarry to go through. And one never knows, perhaps your thread does make someone stand still for a moment and think. It may be a seed that will sprout and blossom later (or sooner).

Personally I find it very frustrating to share my vegaterian views and deep compassion with those that will not see it, and I wish I could give you more support in this conversation that you so bravely deal with.
I don't know, I think after so many years of discussing this with meat eaters, I have simply come to a point where I know, it is like banging your head against a brick wall! (Pointless and it hurts.)

Even if I am not writing in this thread, I follow it and want you to know that you are being supported from a higher level!
x

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

It is a battle worth fighting for. It is not the combatants, but the silent majority that is looking for direction.
Giving up is not an option.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

So it is a religion because some website says so? Most people that you talk to will say it is a 'way of life'.

A religion must have a moral/ethical code in addition to a set of rituals. If everybody is free to believe what he wants - then it cannot be a religion.

As for native americans being role models - how many people have accepted them as a role model as % of total humanity??? Compare that to Christians.

I know many Hindus, everyone of them have said it is a religion. This sounds close to what people who are Wiccan say, it is just a way or a path. And I can hundreds of sources that call it a religion, it is one that has various sects. Even the constitution of India calls it a religion and I would think the government of India is a far better source.

But this thread is about vegetarianism from a religious viewpoint. The Native Americans view point should be considered as well, or is the reason you are slightly opposed is because they eat meat?

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
you keep bringing Jesus name for your defense but I thought the whole topic of this thread was the question about how jesus feels about us eating animals/using them for our benifit. it seems your pretty sure Jesus does not want us to eat meat or use them for survival by killing them.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by vedatruth

I find it disturbing that you would say native americans are not good role models. There is no divide between christians and native americans. many native americans are christian. And it is hard to see what you say different from a racial slur. perhaps you should have said native americans werent good role models before the white man came over slaughtered them and stole their land.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I have a rebuttle for the thou shall not kill concept. Doctors kill viruses and cancer cells everday. So I dont think the argument is about killling plants or animals. im pretty sure that commandment pertains to human beings. Killing is necessary for the well being of mankind.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by sweetstuff

Actually it's more of a health issue than a pompous thing. Also animal sacrifices aren't needed any more as an atonement for sin.

It is not a sin to eat meat, but if you care about your body and remember your body is the temple of God then you should know that red meat especially is becoming more and more unhealthy.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Most people of India are confused about religion. And there is a good reason for it.

Since there are many sects, poeple feel 'good' in the numbers by counting everybody in a fictitious religion called 'hinduism'.

I have been asking the question 'what is hinduism' to people in India for more han 10 years. Nobody so far has been able to answer it anything more than 'a way of life'.

It is same with Government of India. The people who are non-Muslim, non-Christian, non-Buddhist are automatically dumped into a pool called 'Hindu'.

You ask the question to anybody who calls himself a 'Hindu' - what is a 'Hindu'? And then let me know.

The problem is religion is just called 'dharm' in India. Even Jain and Buddhist call their religion 'dharm'. The correct translation of 'dharm' is 'duties of man'. The meaning of religion as defined in Vedic religion is 'kartavya-akartavya' - the knowledge of what is good for man, and what is bad.

edit on 9-11-2011 by vedatruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Foxy1

1. I am not using Jesus in my defense. If you think so, you are mistaken.
2. I have nothing against native americans. You brought them in this discussion out of nowhere.
3. Discussion is about Jesus's words on the topic.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dezero
reply to post by sweetstuff

Actually it's more of a health issue than a pompous thing. Also animal sacrifices aren't needed any more as an atonement for sin.

It is not a sin to eat meat, but if you care about your body and remember your body is the temple of God then you should know that red meat especially is becoming more and more unhealthy.

Sins are defined in 'religion'. Since religion is about what a great soul said - we are discussing what Jesus said on the topic.

What you consider good for your health is a separate issue.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Foxy1
I have a rebuttle for the thou shall not kill concept. Doctors kill viruses and cancer cells everday. So I dont think the argument is about killling plants or animals. im pretty sure that commandment pertains to human beings. Killing is necessary for the well being of mankind.

I do not know how you can equate 'virus and cancer cells' to cows, pigs and sheep.
Hope you think more about it.

Food is a very important component of religious thought. Almost all religions have rules about food. This is the reason we are discussing this topic.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Most people of India are confused about religion. And there is a good reason for it.

Since there are many sects, poeple feel 'good' in the numbers by counting everybody in a fictitious religion called 'hinduism'.

I have been asking the question 'what is hinduism' to people in India for more han 10 years. Nobody so far has been able to answer it anything more than 'a way of life'.

It is same with Government of India. The people who are non-Muslim, non-Christian, non-Buddhist are automatically dumped into a pool called 'Hindu'.

You ask the question to anybody who calls himself a 'Hindu' - what is a 'Hindu'? And then let me know.

The problem is religion is just called 'dharm' in India. Even Jain and Buddhist call their religion 'dharm'. The correct translation of 'dharm' is 'duties of man'. The meaning of religion as defined in Vedic religion is 'kartavya-akartavya' - the knowledge of what is good for man, and what is bad.

Are you from India? Have you lived long in India? Or do you follow the Americanized version of Hollywood Hindu that you pay money for some guru to tell you it is just a "way of life"? Yes, it is true that most of the stuff being taught to Americans is not really what is taught there.

The reason for the confusion is because they know Americans are pretending to follow a way of life, one they really don't have a clue about. Yes, the catchphrases used by Americans. You sounded just like an episode of Dharma and Greg.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

My dear I am an Indian who has travelled all over the world.

I hope that helps.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
You either eat meat or you do not. Meat was eaten through the bible, so what does it actually matter what Jesus thinks? It happened before him and again, it is happening after him.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

That is probably the best description of religion as well without asking a very religious person what it means.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Redevilfan09

The view of Jesus is important as he preached non-violence. It makes no sense that you would not hurt or kill a fellow human, but would kill an animal for food.

People were eating meat in antiquity but not as much as now. It was not a staple for most people. The industrial scale production of meat has brought a lot of new problems - health, environment etc. in addition to the 'sinning' aspect.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by akushla99

I think that were one to do a bit of delving into the background of the translation, one would find that there are TWO words that can be used. Some translations use the word "Kill", but most eminent biblical scholars would say that the closest Engilish translation from the original Hebrew would actually be "Murder". Since the term "Murder" is universally understood as refering to the killing of a human by another human, I'd opine that the verse is coimpletely irrelevant regarding animals.
Also, on a slightly different vein.... Were one to assume that mankind has a "Creator", rather than just evolving from earlier species, one would also have to face the fact that we were meant to be omnivorous, rather than vegetarian, and here's why: We have both molars AND canine teeth. Canines are specifically designed, (or, for the evolutionists, evolved), to cut and tear meat.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join