It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why men are in trouble

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Interesting article from CNN, its a few days old. I didn't see it so I'm posting it here...a social issue for sure.

Why Men Are In Trouble (CNN)

...The data does not bode well for men. In 1970, men earned 60% of all college degrees. In 1980, the figure fell to 50%, by 2006 it was 43%. Women now surpass men in college degrees by almost three to two. Women's earnings grew 44% in real dollars from 1970 to 2007, compared with 6% growth for men....The warning signs for men stretch far beyond their wallets. Men are more distant from a family or their children then they have ever been. The out-of-wedlock birthrate is more than 40% in America. In 1960, only 11% of children in the U.S. lived apart from their fathers. In 2010, that share had risen to 27%. Men are also less religious than ever before. According to Gallup polling, 39% of men reported attending church regularly in 2010, compared to 47% of women.

If you don't believe the numbers, just ask young women about men today. You will find them talking about prolonged adolescence and men who refuse to grow up. I've heard too many young women asking, "Where are the decent single men?" There is a maturity deficit among men out there, and men are falling behind.

This decline in founding virtues -- work, marriage, and religion -- has caught the eye of social commentators from all corners. In her seminal article, "The End of Men," Hanna Rosin unearthed the unprecedented role reversal that is taking place today. "Man has been the dominant sex since, well, the dawn of mankind. But for the first time in human history, that is changing—and with shocking speed," writes Rosin. The changes in modern labor --from backs to brains -- have catapulted women to the top of the work force, leaving men in their dust.

Man's response has been pathetic. Today, 18-to- 34-year-old men spend more time playing video games a day than 12-to- 17-year-old boys. While women are graduating college and finding good jobs, too many men are not going to work, not getting married and not raising families. Women are beginning to take the place of men in many ways.

Now, I take these articles with a grain of salt. There are still plenty of powerful men around, from the local to the national level. My ex-military brother is no joke, a real "old-school" manly man, or at least he tries lol. And seeing him and his buddies every day I have no doubt that masculinity in all its glory (and inglory) is alive and well. But personal experience is one thing, and statistics (if they can be trusted) are another. So should we be concerned? Are men really falling behind?

It seems hard to believe it but when I think about it, it is perhaps not unbelievable. I don't think it can be doubted that by and large, we women have done very well for ourselves!! But advance of women shouldn't necessarily mean decline of men...right? Surely there is a way for us all to be our very best selves, whatever our gender.

There is a lot to talk about this issue: Is it a valid point to make in the first place? If so, why? What are the causes? What if anything should be done? As a woman I hope to be a mother someday; if I have boys I will have to think about how to raise them and what it means to bring up a man in this society.

This is sure to be a contrversial topic so play nice, ATS!

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Well, the whole entire reason women were put a lower class to begin with back in the day was for one simple reason. You women carry our offspring, so before there were cities and we all lived in the wild. You needed to be protected and kept secure, men were expendable and they were expendable. Not until the last 500 years of civilization has the human race not needed to protect you from the wild per se'. So it makes sense that women can now join the ranks in society amongst men.

This really is the main reason women were kept in huts long ago, to keep you the bearer safe from harm. After all, it is you the women that carry our future with bearing children. We can only provide the seed.

As far as Men losing out to women. I don't think that's what's happening. I think that some men out there are saying to themselves. You want to go and work, go ahead. I will stay home and do nothing.

link   
The "white collar" bubble has popped. We'll soon be back to living within our means and rebuilding our manufacturing base.....our roots. So have fun with those degrees while working the production line bwuahahahah
edit on 7-10-2011 by Fitch303 because: (no reason given)

link   
Now I am not claiming to be an expert, or old enough to remember 1970, but with those increases what is the comparison of money earned by both sexes? In my mind it should be even, perhaps male income has reached a "Cap" that is difficult to surpass even with a degree, especially with the job market in the current state, and female income is catching up.
edit on 7-10-2011 by LunchBocks because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

I think thats a fair assumption of whats going on out there overall in most Western societies. You'll also find it's mostly the mothers that turn up at their children's sports clubs and are more involved than fathers.

Males in today's society need to MAN up and get back to basics.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Good! Women ARE smarter than men. That video game statistic makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

en.wikipedia.org...

I find nothing wrong with men falling and women catching up. Its called equality.

One thing we have to watch ourselves for is the idea that if men aren't running the world women will run the world- if its not patriarchy its going to be matriarchy. This is a silly, short sighted idea.

What gets missed in these battles of the sexes is that we both need each other. The very idea that there are biological differences between men and women FORCES us to work together for the improvement of the human species. Beyond simply sex, this idea should be translated to all aspects of society.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

While I agree with the article pointing at changes in the role and attitudes of gender of men and women I do not think men are in "trouble".

I don't want to be a soldier and die in the wars, mama! I don't wanna be a robot on the production line no more, mama!

Men have changed themselves. I could not stand those old stereotypes of what is a man. In fact, my own modern day view of a man is someone who is good with kids, gentle, loyal and compassionate; not some brute who can't control what is in his trousers.

Lot of loneliness around for men and women while the revolution of the sexes is happening, but it is very definitely happening.

Women will just have to get used to the new kind of guys. We are not just some wallet and accessory. I have feelings and I value them. I love my creativity and sensitivity more than that battered old role of the breadwinner. Don't want to wear that tight suit no more, mama!

I am just as glad that women can have total freedom to decide what their gender means individually without constraints. You can be the boss, you can be the breadwinner, the one who is not allowed to be seen crying. Always stoic and strong. Goodbye bs stereotypes and shackles of manhood. Good riddance!

Now, where is my apron, let's have falafels for tea!

edit on 7-10-2011 by Revolution9 because: clarification and spelling

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I think this is such a big social issue with many variables attached,so I don't want to JUST look at education and paychecks.

Society has changed ALOT since the 60s so those things should be acknowledged in this as well.
What was once taboo is now acceptable so I thought it was worth a mention.

We are a product of our society,our brains are fertilized by whats around us and there is more around us then just education and paychecks.

+9 more 
posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Boys aren't raised to be men any more. Little boys are raised like little girls. Boyhood is an unnatural condition to be drugged out of existence. None of the natural advantages to being male exist anymore regardless of any notion of manhood.

The constant barrage by the media, from commercials to "entertainment", has an effect. Paired with government quotas to hire fewer men the expectation to "be a man" has become a romantic notion held by the women whose purpose it was to destroy them.

As society continues to evolve (or devolve) men's and women's roles will continue to change but they're basic make-ups will remain the same.

Men are risk takers. Women are nurturers. Hire a man to start your company. Hire a woman to keep it.,.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
While from personal experience, I actually see more females being born than male...
That's shocking when 8 out of 12 friends wives have given birth to girls.

As far as an economic standpoint, I just see more women wanting to make more money.
Rather than be a woman who can cook, clean or have man provide for them.
Wanting to be wealthy, or successful is overtaking actual family skills.
Which is fine, in my opinion...but also alarming.
It just doesn't make sense.
But that is how I see this "society" progressing.
And I don't want to hear the excuse, "We need two incomes to survive"...
No: You are living well beyond your means.

But I am old-fashioned and believe that a woman has her place, as does a man.
And we are NOT equal.
There's things women can do and we can't.
There's things men can do and women can't.

From a males perspective, I don't want to see women lose those skills!
Very much a quality asset to have...just being a good housewife!
But, I am starting to see it all too often.
Women who pretty much don't "need" men.

But, as a product of a programmed society that tells you..."You must make more money"...
I see more women wanting to get out and be "independent" then actually have a family.
They want to make more money and pretty much stray away from being a housewife.
Just a personal opinion, is all.

As years go by, and the television keeps mindlessly programming our society...
Which is an entire other theory of mine...
We are going to see more people wanting to work more and make more money.
Almost to get away from the family lifestyle.

Which is destructive in my eyes.
Strong family rears strong children!

And I wish more women I meet knew how to cook!

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5

I think thats a fair assumption of whats going on out there overall in most Western societies. You'll also find it's mostly the mothers that turn up at their children's sports clubs and are more involved than fathers.

Males in today's society need to MAN up and get back to basics.

What on earth do you mean, "man up"? You mean like stay in that prison of perception and worn out concept of what the Victorians thought men were. Is the only way to "man up" to be a wife beater, heavy drinking, no eloquence, not in touch with one's soul kinda guy?
edit on 7-10-2011 by Revolution9 because: spelling

edit on 7-10-2011 by Revolution9 because: spelling

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Revolution9

Maybe "man up" means to make more dough to pay for her (not any one in particular thank you) lifestyle?

Whatever. This topic pushes a button with me for some reason. Reminds me of marriage *shivers down my spine*.

Why can't we be free to enjoy our lives without the burden of society's gender roles? I'm gonna go burn my bra now.

"The eye of self, interpret as you may. What solves your riddle , don't work for me".

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by TreadUpon
Boys aren't raised to be men any more. Little boys are raised like little girls. Boyhood is an unnatural condition to be drugged out of existence. None of the natural advantages to being male exist anymore regardless of any notion of manhood.

The constant barrage by the media, from commercials to "entertainment", has an effect. Paired with government quotas to hire fewer men the expectation to "be a man" has become a romantic notion held by the women whose purpose it was to destroy them.

As society continues to evolve (or devolve) men's and women's roles will continue to change but they're basic make-ups will remain the same.

Men are risk takers. Women are nurturers. Hire a man to start your company. Hire a woman to keep it.,.

I agree. It is women who have destroyed the old notion of manhood. There's a whole lot more women pushing prams on their own now and have to do twice as much as they used to, no man around for them anymore, just the odd one night stand for a little company every now and then. So enjoy the brave new world while starving of true affection and companionship.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

As years go by, and the television keeps mindlessly programming our society...
Which is an entire other theory of mine...
We are going to see more people wanting to work more and make more money.
Almost to get away from the family lifestyle.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------

I think you are bang on with that part and is also a theory I have as well.(the rest of your post was good too)

I didn't want to say it but i will since you brought it up.
I would rather stay home and play video games then lust after a woman who wants to be like what she saw on tv and/or expects someone to be like what she saw on tv.
Our society seems to be a little more shallow and ignorant because of tv in my opinion.
Jersey Shore anyone??

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I have to say, I take exception with so many comments- I just don't know where to start.

Men are in trouble because women are making money and being as educated as the male species has been for hundreds of years???

Women can work and men can stay "home all day doing nothing"?

You gotta be kidding... I've raised two kids and am now raising a grandkid. All the while keep the home clean, laundry, paying the bills, cooking, shopping for clothes and groceries AND going to work for twelve hours a night!

I am happy that this day and age people still have the stereotypical opinions and attitudes... thats sarcasm.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Ha. They have tricked you all, AGAIN!

The real meat behind this is that women's wages started way behind men's. They have caught up in recent years but it is still generally cheaper to hire a woman rather than a man. Thus, just as our jobs have been shipped overseas, they have also been stripped from the men and given to the women. It has absolutely nothing to do with who is the weaker or smartest gender. It is all about how to maximize profits.

However, nothing is forever, and eventually men will be cheaper to hire than woman, and the whole exchange will go on and on until we all work for a cot and a couple of squares a day.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Instead of calling it a decline, why not call it a balancing of the scales. Isn't that what the woman's movement was all about? Equality?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Ahh don't get me started about that show.
Or anything on cable at least.

Or just how television really programs people!

Face it, the television dictates how its followers live their lives.
You can always tell who watches it religiously.
Usually they have tans, black hair, or a fashion statement to make.
Which is truly pathetic.
In my opinion...of course.

But, you can see it all around, from the television to the magazine aisles.
And it is quite frightening.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Women are also getting to experience some of the negative consequences of being the big "Bread Winner" such as: increased risk of heart attacks, hypertension, and strokes. Excessive stress is deadly, and takes a heavy toll on the body whether you're a man or a woman.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by MissPoovey

And I, for one, appreciate you being a hard working woman.

Thank you.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join