It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Did Not Warn Us Of The Asteroid SE58 That Almost Hit Earth. They Were Unsure Of Its Orbit.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

I am saying they warned of sky activity
I think another 1 is due to fall seen around draconid showers activities.

The German ROSAT satellite, designed to study high-energy radiation was launched in 1990 and died in 1998. (The name is an abbreviation of the word Rontgensatellit. In German X-rays are called Rontgenstrahlen.) The German space agency figures 30 pieces weighing less than 2 tons will survive re-entry. Debris may include sharp mirror shards.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Canadian astronomer Paul Wiegert announced earlier in 2011 that the annual Draconid meteor shower might produce a brief meteor storm of 1,000 meteors per hour on October 8, 2011. He said the 2011 Draconid outburst could be expected to occur between 17 and 18 UTC on October 8. This translates into between noon and 1 p.m.
Central Daylight Time on October 8 in the U.S. – daylight in North America. Because this shower’s radiant point in the constellation Draco is so far north on the sky’s dome, the shower will be visible primarily in the northern hemisphere. Plus Draco is highest in the sky during the evening hours. Thus the best locations from which to view the shower – according to Wiegert’s May-June 2011 prediction – should be Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 10/6/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by kwell

[color=dodgerblue]No. You told me that my math was wrong, when you let google do the math for you AND you had your units wrong.

You refuse to listen to the facts being presented to you and would rather listen to some youtube videos, which in my opinion, are less credible than wikipedia as far as sources go.

Not everything is a conspiracy.

Here is an image from the JPL's website (that you listed as a source) depicting the close approach data for YU55.

[color=dodgerblue]
It's not exactly 'comin' right for us'. Its hundreds of thousands of kilometers away even at it's closest approach.

SE58 passed without incident. And with a size of only 10m (32 feet), would have never made contact with anything because it would have burned up in the atmosphere.

We are bombarded by debris all the time. Space is not clean, nor is it empty.

edit on 6-10-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

Please don't bring your common sense and established factual data into this discussion. It's simply not welcome, especially from those that hope beyond all hope that the end times are near.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

I also think NASA is used to dealing with *large* numbers and statistics...and probably calculated the chances of this asteroid striking Earth as nil. They also thought the chance of UARS doing significant damage was low also.

Here's what JPL's Near Earth Asteroid Tracking team has to say:

"The most dangerous asteroids, capable of a global disaster, are extremely rare. The threshold size is believed to be 1/2 to 1 km. These bodies impact the Earth only once every 1,000 centuries on average. Comets in this size range are thought to impact even less frequently, perhaps once every 5,000 centuries or so."

So,basically, they could care less about the rest...that's my take on it.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Minori
Here is my point on ALL of this. Please correct me if I am wrong but there has been a whole lot of asteroids, meteors and the like lately. I am 32 years old and I can not remember a time in this lifetime hearing about these sightings and actual events as often and as frequently as it has been happening. Even the satellites crashing to Earth kinda coincidental to me. I do not doubt the intelligence of the men and women of NASA, but I do doubt their ability to disclose the truth. There is talk of another asteroid in November and a Russian satellite that is bigger then the UARs that crashed to Earth, might I add NASA did an excellent job tracking that ..NOT. It make me wonder how reliable our own technology is when it comes to tracking things like this.

the reason you hear more and more about this stuff is because technology has improved alot since you were born..... thats a no brainer

Nasa tracked UARS just fine.... AFTER it entered the atmosphere... the sites that were tracking it were the failures.... Nasa even had staff looking for debris in a specific place, which they only said was in the Pacific, to prevent others from trying to keep the stuff for themselves....

Our technology works just fine once a satellite has dropped into the atmosphere... they can calculate the velocity and whatnot....

The ignorance of people, or the refusal to believe the truth, is the problem here... not NASA

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ColAngus

[color=deepskyblue]Whoops!

Sorry about that.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
reply to post by ColAngus

[color=deepskyblue]Whoops!

Sorry about that.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by longtermproject

Who created these sites that did the tracking????? And why is it that everyone believes everything they hear when it comes from some government site???? TPTB only let us know what they want us to know. How about the "meteor" that was seen just this September in California, NASA did not give us a heads up......why??? Did they not know about it??? Yeah not so much..........not convinced. Interesting enough that this particular incident was right around the same time the UARs was to come crashing to Earth...............hhhmmm. You would think they would be panning the sky for activity, how did they miss that?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Minori
reply to post by longtermproject

Who created these sites that did the tracking????? And why is it that everyone believes everything they hear when it comes from some government site???? TPTB only let us know what they want us to know. How about the "meteor" that was seen just this September in California, NASA did not give us a heads up......why??? Did they not know about it??? Yeah not so much..........not convinced. Interesting enough that this particular incident was right around the same time the UARs was to come crashing to Earth...............hhhmmm. You would think they would be panning the sky for activity, how did they miss that?

OK, why don't you write some software yourself that deals with orbital elements, and then you can track everything yourself ...... you can start by studying Kepler's laws, and work from there to multi-element orbitals, etc, etc, etc ..... Please keep us updated on your progress, and be sure to inform us all when you give up

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

Hey please do not be insulted. I have no way of tracking those things, nor can I even begin to explain how. I will once again not doubt the intelligence of the people at NASA or anyone for that matter but give me a break. We are able to develop all these super high tech gadgets and machines but when it comes to something entering our own atmosphere we failed??? My point is that I know the people of NASA and our sciencetist are way beyond that because they are that smart.

Sorry you took my post so personal......maybe you work for NASA...

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Minori

the thing is, so many people over here took the web-sites as the truth, and watched all the simulations. The truth is, once the object hits the atmosphere, you can't use orbital elements anymore, you have to do some active tracking. I don't think any software will account for an orbit once it hits the thicker parts of the atmosphere, then you need RADAR to actively track it, and you can predict it's path maybe a couple of seconds. If an object is far enough from the atmosphere, orbital elements are all that is needed, but sometimes you need to keep on updating orbital elements. That is why, the more you can observe an object, the more accurate the orbital elements become, and therefore the more predictable where it is supposed to be at any instance of time, unless the orbital elements gets disturbed, like by going into the atmosphere, or hitting another object .....

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Okay... if it isn't NASA's job to give the public a heads up... whose job is it after all the data is analyzed???

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by shushu
reply to post by alfa1

Okay... if it isn't NASA's job to give the public a heads up... whose job is it after all the data is analyzed???

lol, get yourself a telescope, and spend all your time looking for NEO's, and calculate all their orbits, lol ...... But yes, on a serious note, NEO's are a serious issue, and the lack of coverage of them, that has been discussed a lot of times, like here : impact.arc.nasa.gov... ... Yes, I know it is a NASA article, lol .......

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
forget nasa

we need an ATS space telescope =D

srsly, space is now in the private sector, why not?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
how strange.

i dont recall IAU minor planet center being present or discussed at the NASA NEO conference.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatsinaname
forget nasa

we need an ATS space telescope =D

srsly, space is now in the private sector, why not?

but you don't only need only ONE space scope..... you will need quite a number. Remember, a telescope can only cover a small area of the sky that it is pointed at, so you need lots of them to cover the whole sky. You also need to make a number of observations of the same object, before you can even calculate it's orbital elements. The larger the mirror of the telescope is, the more light it will gather, i.e. you can see better the more remote NEO's, i.e the more time you will have to warn the earth of the imminent collision, but then, at the same time, the less area of the sky it will cover, and you will need more telescopes, and more powerful software and computers to see if an object is moving, compared to the millions of stationary stars the telescope sees, and so on ..... can you understand a bit of the complexity of it all????
edit on 6/10/2011 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

You refuse to listen to the facts being presented to you and would rather listen to some youtube videos, which in my opinion, are less credible than wikipedia as far as sources go.

And welcome to ATS, I see you have met Kwell. Enjoy it for what it's worth, comic relief at best, a sad commentary of the downfall of human civilization at worst.

It's sad.
(end of reply)

NASA isn't tasked with finding every rock in space and plotting it's orbit. As was explained umpteen times over in the first few pages.

People ignored it.

NASA didn't make a big fuss about it because it posed 0% threat, ZERO, it had no ability to "hurt us" at all. anything that small won't even make it to the ground in most cases.

People ignored it.

But here's the catch22. If NASA did say, hey folks, this thing is coming, and we're not sure but it could hit us, you'd scream from the tree tops when it DIDN'T that NASA is full of crap. If NASA doesn't announce it, because it really doesn't need to be announced, OMFG NASA is hiding the truth.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kwell

So NASA should have warned us about a non collision with an asteroid and thus cause unnecessary panic. I mean look at ATS over the past few months and our imminent doom due to Elenin blowing us up and creating devastating earthquakes. Imagine the announcement of a near earth asteroid and the distortions the conspiracists would have put on that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But just for good measure, since Obama didn't go into a bunker, he might have and was nearby just in case. My jaw hit the deck at how a failed conspiracy was resurrected in this manner !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If there was a genuine danger and the conspiracy had any merit Obama would have been in that bunker inspecting "whatever" as a cover. He wasn't because there was no danger and never was. DUH!

How many times does a conspiracy have to fail, the distorted stories shown to be total nonsense before people take a step back and chill.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

I see your point, there is no good way of tracking space stuff when it enters our atmosphere. Kinda scary, but at least you are honest and have knowledge on the subject. Thanks for explaining.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by kwell

Obama is not taking over the emergency broadcast system. How silly can you get. What you are talking about is a test of the natl emergency broadcast system. It will take all of 3 minutes and will be over. It is much like the weekly ebs tests on radio and TV. As a matter of fact the local authorities use parts of the natl system to notify people of weather or other hazards. This test will be conducted by FEMA and the FCC. Not the executive branch of the govt. No conspiracy here, nothing to even talk about.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join