It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Did Not Warn Us Of The Asteroid SE58 That Almost Hit Earth. They Were Unsure Of Its Orbit.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
reply to post by Deadscreameyes

[color=dodgerblue]At it's closest approach, YU55 will be 344,075.4 km away. Close in cosmic terms, but still pretty freakin' far.
edit on 5-10-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

No that is incorrect. It will come 213,000 miles from earth...again closer than our moon. If NASA is just a little bit off we are in big trouble. Who even knows how the earths gravitational pull fits into all of it or the moons for that matter. Look at this NASA link....ssd.jpl.nasa.gov... Type in November 9, 2011 and it will give you the au's. Just type the au's into google and ask how many miles and it will say 213,000

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by kwell

[color=dodgerblue]Interestingly, both SE58 and YU55 came within 0.0023AUs of our planet.

I wouldn't say that it 'almost hit earth'. That's an exaggeration, Sir.

149,598,000=1 AU 149,598,000x0.0023=344,075km.

344,075 is not 'almost hitting us'. It's a near miss in cosmic terms though.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by radosta
We need Phage!

Ha, Ha...Phage actually already saw this in the what is going down in Denver thread and he surprisingly didn't have anything to say...no debunking or anything.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by kwell

reply to post by Deadscreameyes

[color=dodgerblue]At it's closest approach, YU55 will be 344,075.4 km away. Close in cosmic terms, but still pretty freakin' far.

No that is incorrect. It will come 213,000 miles from earth...again closer than our moon. If NASA is just a little bit off we are in big trouble. Who even knows how the earths gravitational pull fits into all of it or the moons for that matter. Look at this NASA link....ssd.jpl.nasa.gov... Type in November 9, 2011 and it will give you the au's. Just type the au's into google and ask how many miles and it will say 213,000

[color=dodgerblue]My answer was in kilometers, sir. If you convert the km to miles the answer is 213,808. You should double check your math (and your units) before you get all correct-y.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

reply to post by kwell

[color=dodgerblue]Interestingly, both SE58 and YU55 came within 0.0023AUs of our planet.

I wouldn't say that it 'almost hit earth'. That's an exaggeration, Sir.

149,598,000=1 AU 149,598,000x0.0023=344,075km.

344,075 is not 'almost hitting us'. It's a near miss in cosmic terms though.

No. The closest approach to Earth and the Moon will be respectively 0.00217 AU and 0.00160 AU on 2011 November 8 at 23:28 and November 9 at 07:13 UT.
www.google.com...

www.google.com...

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

edit on 5-10-2011 by kwell because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by kwell

[color=dodgerblue]Why don't you do your own math?

Even at 0.00160au, the distance is still 239,356.8km. Which is still pretty far, no?

A kilometer is 0.6214 miles if you would like to do the conversion yourself.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Just curious, but why the focus solely on NASA? Did any other government, agency, astronomical society, or private astronomer call this one? I'm sure if some guy or group in Romania or Portugal or Bolivia or wherever were able to locate this asteroid prior to September 21st wouldn't word would have gotten out? NASA's not the only eye in the sky.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColAngus
Just curious, but why the focus solely on NASA? Did any other government, agency, astronomical society, or private astronomer call this one? I'm sure if some guy or group in Romania or Portugal or Bolivia or wherever were able to locate this asteroid prior to September 21st wouldn't word would have gotten out? NASA's not the only eye in the sky.

See my post at the bottom of page one.
NASA has *no* eyes in the sky on this one. Its not even their job.
Overwhelmingly, contributors to orbit observations are done by private individuals, amateur astronomers who have a decent telescope and send their findings to the MPC.

Anyone on here can also get a telescope, or sit at home renting time on one of the "rent a scopes" out there in the world, and let the MPC know what you see. Then you too can be part of a "NASA conspiracy" (according to kwell).

edit on 5-10-2011 by alfa1 because: fixed typo

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Yes, inadvertantly missed your post. Apologies as you said it better.

Nibiru/Planet X/Cybertron could be hovering right above us and some would expect NASA to merely throw a black blanket over it and mutter "Nothing to see here," just because they need for there to be a conspiracy.

It's one thing to want to do your own research for your own piece of mind and to satisfy scientific curiosity, but it's another to be so paranoid that you can't see the forest for the trees. Or space for the stars. Or whatever.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ColAngus

NASA had nothing to do with it. 2011 SE58 (That terrifying 10 meter asteroid) was observed by three different astronomers

T. H. Bressi at the University of Arizona
Kevin Hills using a Rent-a-Scope
P. Birtwhistle at the Great Shefford Observatory

www.minorplanetcenter.net...

Whups. Sorry Alfa1. Missed your post at the bottom of the first page.

edit on 10/5/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/5/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

My thoughts and these are only my thoughts, that they know something is coming and they are hiding it because they don't want to cause panic. Why is Obama taking over the emergency broadcast system on November 9, 2011 for the first ever.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by ColAngus

NASA had nothing to do with it. 2011 SE58 (That terrifying 10 meter asteroid) was observed by three different astronomers

T. H. Bressi at the University of Arizona
Kevin Hills using a Rent-a-Scope
P. Birtwhistle at the Great Shefford Observatory

www.minorplanetcenter.net...

It was 18 meters Phage and that is 60 feet. How would you like that to hit your house?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

See my post at the bottom of page one.
NASA has *no* eyes in the sky on this one. Its not even their job.
Overwhelmingly, contributors to orbit observations are done by private individuals, amateur astronomers who have a decent telescope and send their findings to the MPC.

Anyone on here can also get a telescope, or sit at home renting time on one of the "rent a scopes" out there in the world, and let the MPC know what you see. Then you too can be part of a "NASA conspiracy" (according to kwell).

edit on 5-10-2011 by alfa1 because: fixed typo

You say that NASA is not observing any of these asteroids?? Oh come on. You say it is not their duty to warn the public if one is headed right toward us?? What??

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by kwell

At the national level in the United States, the Minor Planet Center (MPC) at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, sponsored by the International Astronomical Union but funded about 90 percent by NASA, collects observations of all asteroids and comets made around the world. The MPC archives these observations, makes them publicly available, and computes orbits for all individual, identified objects. For any object that seems to pose a threat to Earth, the MPC director or designee has a reporting system to alert a NASA official and thence through specified government channels to alert the country at large. Also in the United States, individual observers and observatories are dedicated in whole or in part to discovering and observing NEOs. Further, NASA supports a group of researchers at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) that carries out accurate, long-term predictions of asteroid orbits, quantifies threats, and notifies NASA, as does the MPC, if a “threshold” is exceeded.

[color=dodgerblue]NASA pays the bill.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

So... let me get this straight.
If I or any other private amateur astronomer see something in the sky and report it to the Minor Planet Center, then NASA will bribe me to keep quiet?

Is that what you're saying? It has to be, otherwise how else would the published orbits be what NASA wants them to be.

Otherwise, exactly what is your assertion here? Or are you doing doing the "throw #, hoping some of it will stick" trick?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   

My thoughts and these are only my thoughts, that they know something is coming and they are hiding it because they don't want to cause panic. Why is Obama taking over the emergency broadcast system on November 9, 2011 for the first ever.

There's also a Pacific-wide tsunami drill scheduled for that day, I believe.

I don't know man, could it possibly, just possibly be a test?!

On second thought, I think the fact that they announced this Emergency Alert System test MONTHS in advance was for the sole purpose of causing panic, but just the conspiracy minded. Hey, it's working!
edit on 5-10-2011 by ColAngus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

So... let me get this straight.
If I or any other private amateur astronomer see something in the sky and report it to the Minor Planet Center, then NASA will bribe me to keep quiet?

Is that what you're saying? It has to be, otherwise how else would the published orbits be what NASA wants them to be.

Otherwise, exactly what is your assertion here? Or are you doing doing the "throw #, hoping some of it will stick" trick?

It is splitting hairs if you ask me. A diversion tactic Phage usually uses
I watched the NASA near earth objects conference. Why didn't they just tell us we really don't know anything...which is kind of what they actually did. But we just loan out our NASA hubble telescope...don't know anything that is really going on with it unless someone reports it.LOL

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Ok peoples, this question was asked before here on ATS. Again, people are going in circles on this...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

reply to post by daryllyn

No I do not have a lot of confidence in NASA either. That is what is says that they started observing it then. I really don't trust anything they say or do.

Ya you think this bad look at all off these quit a few have a code 5 to 8
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by kwell

It was 18 meters Phage and that is 60 feet. How would you like that to hit your house?

I saw 10 meters. But 10 or 18 meters, it would break up when it entered the atmosphere.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join