It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freed hikers: Iran held us because we

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Well people can't have it all ways.

People defend Iran and say they have no hostile intentions, that the country of Iran is beautiful blah blah

Then some of these same people say "well what did you expect?"

The country of Iran is governed by an Islamic regime that treats it's own people like **** and is not a friend of the west in general.

Regards, Skellon.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

Originally posted by queenofsheba
reply to post by AllUrChips

Yeah, right, cough-cough....mm hmmm....that's why they looked all underweight. Where are you from? Your avatar doesn't say? Hmmm.......makes me wonder....

I'm not afraid to say where I'm from.
edit on 25-9-2011 by queenofsheba because: (no reason given)

This is what they looked like before they were arrested.

This is what they look like now.

They don't look like they have been starved or mistreated to me.

Thank you! My point exactly this person just watches too much NBC nightly news and probabaly belives these "monsters" also flew planes into the twin towers also huh?

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

They do look like they have lost weight, all of their cheeks are no longer full looking.

Iran will play the game of looking good to the international community as they did when they abducted the British Navy personnel. They even gave them gift bags to go home with.

Regards, Skellon.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
well for all those on here who were going around saying they were cia

and now? pretty obvious they werent not even close to being

i personally think they arent too bright and like what was already said

who goes hiking on the iranian border thats just plain stupid.

its going to sound mean its going to sound cruel

but they got what the deserved.

idealism meets cold hard reality

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

I wonder how long it will be before their books and movies come out? Prepared statements and no questions allowed expect TPTB to milk this for everything it's worth. Who wakes up one morning and says let's go to a country that we just attacked and go for a hike. Where these guys CIA? Who knows but we won't hear the end of it anytime soon.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Then apparently you dont know their story, they had been in country for a while on the Iraq side, freelance journalist, tracking down stories trying to hit the big one......

They didnt "wake up one morrning and decide to go for a hike"

They were however avid hikers, and were in an area that is known by many many backpackers and hikers and even has spots mapped out to stop and look at natural formations......

Im amazed at how many people dont know the story yet accuse these people of all kinds of nefarious deeds......

Speculation without facts is ignorance

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
No one will most likely ever know the truth except for a few.

They probably got what they deserved for being dumb if they are indeed not CIA.

They got off real nice if they were covert.

I honestly don't care, but lesson learned.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
. . . they had been in country for a while on the Iraq side, freelance journalist, tracking down stories trying to hit the big one......

My response was Gullible - Stupid - or something else.

I was thinking journalist seeking big story.

I live on the Mexican border. Would I go hiking on the Mexican border - - even if I had a map of great spots?

NO!!!! Absolutely not.

One word comes to mind: UNSTABLE.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Still won't say where you're from, huh? Yeah....okay...........

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
The irony is that if 3 Iranian hikers crossed into the US...they would be welcomed, immediately put on welfare and food stamps, and their kids could go to school for free wearing Iranian flag t-shirts.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

best post in the thread

cause its so true

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Young people enjoy a good adventure, look at the kids heading to Mexico every year for spring break. Personally i would be more afraid of hiking in northern Mexico than i would the Kurdish region of northern Iraq. Borders in the middle east are poorly marked and in many cases outright contested, i can see how they could accidentally cross over an invisible line in the mountians of northern Iraq.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by lokdog
Young people enjoy a good adventure, look at the kids heading to Mexico every year for spring break. Personally i would be more afraid of hiking in northern Mexico than i would the Kurdish region of northern Iraq. Borders in the middle east are poorly marked and in many cases outright contested, i can see how they could accidentally cross over an invisible line in the mountians of northern Iraq.

Too funny! But I get where you're coming from...I think.

But the kids heading south are looking for cheap drugs and a lower drinking age. And a chance to be away from adult supervision...

Yea, I guess there can be a adventure in that.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
These are exactly the kind of people that the CIA takes aside and reminds them that, while they're in the region--and being that they're avid hikers and perfectly innocuous private American citizens, and since the borders are so poorly marked--if they should happen to stray, it would be considered a very good thing and their patriotic duty to look around and take notice of the things on this list (hands them the list).

Either that, or I'm entirely wrong....

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

I wonder how long it will be before their books and movies come out? Prepared statements and no questions allowed expect TPTB to milk this for everything it's worth. Who wakes up one morning and says let's go to a country that we just attacked and go for a hike. Where these guys CIA? Who knows but we won't hear the end of it anytime soon.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Then apparently you dont know their story, they had been in country for a while on the Iraq side, freelance journalist, tracking down stories trying to hit the big one......

They didnt "wake up one morrning and decide to go for a hike"

They were however avid hikers, and were in an area that is known by many many backpackers and hikers and even has spots mapped out to stop and look at natural formations......

Im amazed at how many people dont know the story yet accuse these people of all kinds of nefarious deeds......

Speculation without facts is ignorance

They knew where the boarder was at and crossed it anyway. Are you saying they planned this if so maybe they should have taken a course on map reading. Why didn't they stay in the tourist spots then? Making a stupid mistake like this shows they were ill prepared. That's not the mark of an avid hiker.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Hopefully, those kids learned a valuable lesson. Never adventure in a hostile region, and near a neighboring country that is not on good terms with their own. They chose not to heed the travel warnings made by the State Department, and look what happened to them. Am I supposed to feel sympathy for them? I never did throughout this whole ordeal.

I am glad it did not become an international issue and disrupt the current policy regarding Iran. I am glad they were treated decently by the Iranian government. This little ordeal, and how the Iranians handled it may have earned them some brownie points, but I doubt it will do much to sway the deep-seeded suspicions about their nuclear program.

Now they can be paraded by the media, sign the contracts on their multimillion dollar book deals, and start production on a movie about them. But first things first, next on their adventure will be danishes and coffee at Langley and a nice flight to Tel Aviv. That last sentence was a little sarcasm, but I still am skeptical about the official story? No one goes into those areas for merely recreation and adventure unless they have a death wish or are on agency business. No one will ever know the true story, but them, their captors, and their handlers if they had them. Time to move on to the next international crisis.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

really, so youre telling me if youre on an unmarked border you would neve rmake a mistake.......

Give me a break, even avid hikers make mistakes, it happens all the time.......hence accidents etc etc.....

It just so happens that where they were headed wasnt a marked border, and thers NOTHING to say that the Iranian government didnt cross the line in detaining them anyway, whose to say they REALLY were across that border......

If youre going to accuse these kids of something like that it makes more sense to lay the blame on a regime that has a history of doing things like taking political prisoners..........

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
They were held because they were spies. All apart of the game, everyone spies on each other anyway.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenofsheba

Still won't say where you're from, huh? Yeah....okay...........

Did you seriously not read what i posted earlier? apparently not go back and look if its that important to you, ah screw it Im in DEN operation mountain guardian VER

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join