It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taco Bell and KFC want your food stamps

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by CryHavoc

Originally posted by irsuccubus
Anti-hunger advocates support the move—Coalition for the Homeless said that for people who don't live near a grocery store and can't afford a restaurant, "This would allow people to get a reduced price meal at a small deli or a restaurant, and that does include fast-food restaurants."

You can get about a week's worth of canned dinners at Aldi's for the price of a Long John Silvers meal. A free shuttle bus ride/transportation voucher to and from the grocery store once a week makes more sense than this - and would probably cost less.

Im sorry but Aldis meat is not fit for humans ..I understand your point but should people on foodstamps have to eat the lowest quality food just cause they are down on there luck >??

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by essanance

Originally posted by CryHavoc

Originally posted by irsuccubus
Anti-hunger advocates support the move—Coalition for the Homeless said that for people who don't live near a grocery store and can't afford a restaurant, "This would allow people to get a reduced price meal at a small deli or a restaurant, and that does include fast-food restaurants."

You can get about a week's worth of canned dinners at Aldi's for the price of a Long John Silvers meal. A free shuttle bus ride/transportation voucher to and from the grocery store once a week makes more sense than this - and would probably cost less.

Im sorry but Aldis meat is not fit for humans ..I understand your point but should people on foodstamps have to eat the lowest quality food just cause they are down on there luck >??

No, the company in question are the owners of a few fast food joints. The ones pointed out were KFC and Taco Bell, for example.

I know that Subway has been selling their food for foodstamps / ebt for awhile now. Are any of you up in arms over that? I bet some of you didn't even know that, so does that further irk you? (because that's really the only way you can be directly affected by this btw)

And you're right @ essanance, those canned foods are pretty much on the bottom of the scale as far as food is concerned. But it's like I keep mentioning, people like CryHavoc will not be content until they see poor people eating dog food. I'm not kidding. Just read his post again. Not only should you be eating the worst food available, but you should be grateful for it!

It's very sad indeed, that any person would try so hard to prevent someone from accepting offered help, to the point that they absolutely will not be happy until every poor person is eating food deemed unacceptable for everyone else, especially and including themselves.

What's next, CryHavoc? Should we ship all poor people to special parts of the country? Should we wrap them in disease-laden blankets and deliver to them rotting, maggot-ridden meat?

Demented and immoral people existed a few hundred years ago, and surprise surprise, they still exist.

They're easy to spot, of course. All you need to do is pay attention to the person who without reason or logic, truly believes that they're helping those in need by humiliating them and providing them food that they themselves would never ever eat.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I have food stamps myself. I have a masters in psychology, a part time job and I am on disablity. I think that being able to use food stamps at fast food is a bad idea in general. Even homeless people can go into the gocery store and buy bread, peanut butter/jelly. Those items need no refridgeration and can last for a week or two. When I first lived on my own I live on ramen noodles and pb sandwhiches. There are those noodle cup things that only recquire hot water. Even if you live in a small town there are general stores. For me I believe all gocery stores, general stores and conviences stores should accept ebt.
I once did some volunteer work at a food pantry and we always asked if they had a way of cooking things if they said no we gave them items that did not need to be cooked. There always other options besides fast food. If they do allow fast food then it should be restricted to healthy items such as milk,salad, grilled chicken, no soda or ice cream. Fast food is highly addictive. In fact I heard the put in some additive that makes people crave it. I use my ebt wisely I get things like fish,bread,milk, chicken, cereal and instead of candy or cupcakes I get granola or cereal bars. I rarely get soda because I figured that is not what ebt is for. I admit sometimes I do get the occasional candy bar,(if it is on sale or chips); if I do ever get chips I always make it part of a meal such as nachos. I do see a lot of people using food stamps but they buy fish sticks or corn dogs with vegetables. I don't see anyone buying steak or shrimp. I used to be a vegterian years a go but then I got hooked on fast food. Fast food made me crave meat? I rarely eat beef but I still find it hard not to crave KFC or Taco Beuno. I do admit to occasionally going out to eat but I just buy one or two items. I like wendy's baked potatoes. If they do allow fast food on ebt I am going to ignore that and only use it for the gocery store. I am also still a tax payer as well so I don't want to waste this on unhealthy food making me have to go to the Dr more.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

I found this video. It does mention it would be restricted to elderly, disabled and homeless. If they go by this restriction it would not be as bad but still fast food is not really that good.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

Oh no not another one...I am a better human because I only buy healthy food with my benefits. Oh wait what's that, you buy chips and candy sometimes well that is unspeakable. You should only be able to purchase healthy food ,just who do you think you are buying a candy bar and chips with my tax dollars!!!!!

Give me a break, you people ,the day we start letting the ptb decide what we can and cannot eat then we might as well just hope for Elinin or whatever that death planet is called ,to come knock us all into oblivion. NOONE should be telling anyone how to eat. It's each individuals choice and if you eat "healthy" then good on you.

Stop telling us how wonderful you are because you don't buy soda because its not what foodstamps are for. You won't get anything for it. NOONE is gonna say ,"hay ,such in such only uses his foodstsmps for healthy food . Let's have a party for him".

I thought most on this web site agreed ,we don't want big brother watching us. The foodstamp people already put limits on what the ones recieving them can buy. Why should anyone else have any say further.?

Buy the Damn soda if that's what you want. Jesus, this is so sickening. To hear this crap over and over. As a tax paying citizen , I give you permission. Like I said if you don't like it write your congressman. Really, cuz ain't nothin gonna change with you blowing your hot air all over ATS.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SHABBYCAT

No it is really up to each person. I am not against people eating the way they want. I didn't mean to come off sounding like that I was just giving an example.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Hahaha ,OMG you don't have a problem with old people and disabled people getting to buy Taco Bell and other fast food but not anyone else. I'm sorry but that is just stupid. Really.

To me those are the ones who might need the most protecting from making bad choices. That just makes no sense. Ughhhh I left earlier cuz I was tired of this insanity but now I am lying in bed and picked up my phone to read a bit and got sucked back in.

I am not trying to be mean to anyone but it really bothers me that people want to give up freedoms so easy and we are so willing to give up poor peoples freedoms. It is very scary to me. I mean ,it is already feeling like a police state around here. Fight for your freedom. Don't go giving it up.
edit on 7/9/2011 by SHABBYCAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Geee. Lets see, Food Stamp usage has doubled over the past 3 years. I guess that puts to rest that it is not generational abusers, since it doubled in such a short time.

So...what could cause it to double in such a short time...

Thinking for a second.

Ahh, I got it. Wall Street Greed in tanking the economy, which we bailed them so they can stay rich, then we all have to suffer via austerity as we are now so they and their chums can continue living their lavish lifestyles.

I 100% support my tax dollars, which I pay a lot of going to my fellow American's that have less than me.

At the same time, I would like to see the elites at the top burn in Hell for what they have done to this country.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

well some disabled and elderly have issues where they can't cook for themselves. I am more concerned with families with kids and eating healthy. I know you can't force people to eat healthy. This issue is not really a yes or no; black or white issue. There a variables to consider. Since when did this become something to insult others over; regardless if you think my opinion is stupid or not is my opionion. According the contitution I have the right to express my opinion.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jacobe001

OMG!!!! Exactly!!!!! You said it exactly. Let's punish those evil people ,why are we punishing the people we need to protect and stand up for. The poor on assistance are NOT who is causing our problems.

Thank you ,so much for saying all that. Perfect!!!! More people need to get mad at those bastards and not the poor.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

OMG!!!! Exactly!!!!! You said it exactly. Let's punish those evil people ,why are we punishing the people we need to protect and stand up for. The poor on assistance are NOT who is causing our problems.

Thank you ,so much for saying all that. Perfect!!!! More people need to get mad at those bastards and not the poor.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

First of all food stamp users have gone up due to the economy alone and more need them. Second of all everyone pays taxes; if you buy something at the store they tax it. Everyone is entitled too and alloted so many food stamps who fall under a certian income. I hate how people believe it is just themseleves supporting people who get benefits and that the people recieving the help never worked or bought anything a day in their life. It does not make any sense.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

I agree with the fact we should not punish the poor either but the rich. The food stamp program is supposed to be for people to get the needed nutrition to stay alive. Fast food to me is more of an extra. It is not punishing anyone but not allowing them to buy fast food. Is it punishing someone who works and does not make extra money to eat out? Like I said this issue is not black and white.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Oh ,I'm sorry I certainly did not mean to come off saying you could not express your opinions. Please, I am the one sitting here arguing that we need to keep our Damn freedoms not give them up. Jez, I would be the first to say you have every right to say anything you'd like even if I think it is stupid. I am noone ,I don't expect anyone to bow to me and I never said it either.

Post all the "stupid" stuff you want. Just because I feel it is stupid doesn't mean anyone else will. I'm sure there are plenty of people on this topic who would say I say stupid things too and they have every right to say so as do I.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

For me there are not a lot of black and white issues. I come at everything with a shade of gray attitude. I believe in the exceptions to the rule. I know it may seem confusing that I am against using food stamps for fast food but ok with it certian circumstances. I just don't believe that everything is as clear cut is people try to make it out to be.
edit on 7-9-2011 by dreamseeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Food stamps are just a supplement. A lot of people get them, but not all get a LOT.
My sister is on disability and she gets 60.00 a month.
60.00 would go fast eating out. 60.00 goes fast these days anyway.

We need more charities and easier regulations on feeding the homeless. Heck, you'd get arrested for it here without all the permits and stuff.
I love to cook. I've often thought I would love to be able to make huge pots of gumbo and fresh bread and go give it away/share it if I knew of a place the homeless gathered. Or maybe, lol, go sit close to a Taco Bell and give it away to folks that need to experience some REAL food.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

I am leaving this thread again. I think if you took the time to read this whole OP AND all the posts you'd have seen that you and I probably are more on the same side on this than you think. I don't think we agree on all angles but its pretty darn close. Anyway Good night .

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

I tell you why people are arrested for giving away food to the homeless; because no one profits. The city does not make money by having someone pay for a permit and resturants do not make money either. Sure the food is bought somewhere but at the same time it irks some people if others get free stuff.
Capitlism; or maybe I should say coperate greed and the love of money is ruining this country.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I used to think food stamps were for nutrition...but I don't think like that now.
I think the real purpose of food stamps is to keep bellies full and social order.

If they cared about nutrition a lot of things would be banned and a lot of other programs would be in place.
IE food stamps and sodas.

Now, don't misunderstand me - I think food stamps should be fine for anything people want to use them for as long as it is food or seeds. It doesn't pay for all the food anyone would need for a month anyway, so it equals out if they are buying sodas, they WILL be buying real food on their own dime. (Just hope they have a few left.)

But I've changed my thinking - I think no matter what the govt. says it is all lipservice and the real benefit of food stamps is to keep the public FULL and HAPPY.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Yep, I am in total agreement with you there.

They wrap it all up in 'concern' for the public. Oh, we've got to make sure those kitchens are INSPECTED so you'll be safe! If you are eating food out of the can, without even heating it, it doesn't freaking matter.

I posted this before, but what really opened my eyes was going to a 24 hour drug store one night about 1am on a 'food stamp' night - there were TONS of folks in the store buying cereal and milk and chips and little chef boy ardee cups with the peel off lid - and you know that stuff is high in a drug store - and I asked the clerk what was going on and he told me that food stamps just went on the cards and people were hungry.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join