It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taco Bell and KFC want your food stamps

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by lilowl53

You my friend, should choose your words more carefully, you might have to use food stamps one day..Many tax payers have had to use them at some point in their lives, its terrible you have to act in such a way. Grow up..

edit on 7-9-2011 by lyons666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Every month I do major shopping for 6 people. Because times are hard I do my shopping at several different places. The farmers market, the local save-a-lot and usually somewhere like walmart or target for things like cereal. I look at my cart piled high with things like rice, frozen veggies, cheese, eggs and the occasional granola bars for the kids and then I look at the cart behind me which is almost always laden with things like frozen pizzas, tv dinners, sugary cereals, processed lunch meats and I fight the urge to shake my head. Fight the urge to make a suggestion. Its none of my damn business after all. After paying for my purchases I take my things home as I am sure the other mother does and proceed to establish a diet for my children that meets basic needs without boring them to death. Because their health is important to me. I have made bacon cheeseburgers and milkshakes for my kids...but the key thing here is I MADE THEM. I was able to make the necessary substitutions when needed in order to make the overall meal less evil. A person who feeds a bunch of processed garbage to their kids...to themselves...has no idea where that crap is coming from. They have no idea what the processing facility looked like...what shape the cows were in. For many this isnt even on their minds...after all, they have a lot more to worry about, like finding work, keeping the lights on, keeping other destitute people from taking the little bit that they DO have.

Something is wrong with this system that we have created. Very wrong. We have taken people to a point of desperation where people dont care WHAT they put in their bodies so long as it is some semblance of food. The very thing that keeps us all going is being DISRESPECTED in such profound ways and we dont even see it. And if we see it we dont care because there are bigger problems. Meanwhile no one can explain those weird headaches, stomach cramps and explosive diarrhea. We wonder why society is dumbed down to the point of being dunce cap worthy but dont look to that 27 ingredient frozen waffle. There's a reason why there is a McDonalds and KFC every 20 feet in the ghetto...and it isnt to help out the locals. THEY WANT US DEAD. But before that they want us dependent. Once upon a time slaves ate things like hog maws and chitterlings and fat back because the masters considered it garbage. It was not worthy for their palettes so they used it to feed their slaves. The slaves made the most of what they had and toughed it out. to me this is no different. But what IS different now is that we have more choices than that. We only like convince ourselves that we dont to absolve ourselves of any personal responsibility. Instead of letting your neighbor spend her food stamps on KFC why not give her a ride to the damn store. Why not offer up some gardening space if you have it to spare. Why not TEACH people about living better lives if you have the survival skills. But dont tie their hands further. Dont make them to be even more reliant on those who would see them put down.

oh and for the record...I do NOT own a vehicle and none of the places I shop at are in my immediate vicinity. But I manage. I participate in a car co-op...which is cheaper than you think, especially if you are willing to shop in the dead of night, which I totally am, lol. On shopping days I am usually running off no sleep because I have to get around on everything from buses to my feet...AND?
edit on 7-9-2011 by irsuccubus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
also, to feed a family of 6 at KFC would cost upwards of 30 bucks. thats 30 bucks that could have been used to buy 10 bucks wort of fresh produce, 10 bucks worth of meat and 10 bucks worth of pastas or grains. That could work out to 2, possibly 3 meals, conservatively. I have played this game...I have made it work...on even less than that. When people do not make those efforts its usually for 1 of 3 reasons....they dont know how, they dont have time or they are LAZY. The first 2 can be easily remedied through education and proper planning. the second one...well there is just no helping that set. And for them I feel sorry. But thats nature at work too. If you are a lazy critter nature will find a way to do away with you.

There are always exceptions....people without homes, for instance. But to collect benefits you need an address. so Im guessing there are more food stamp recipients with kitchens than without them.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by lyons666

No my friend I will never need the use food stamps. Do not pretend to know me. You do not. As for how I feel about food stamps...they are given to people who DO NOT need them, and they deny people who do. I'm all for feeding children and the elderly, but I refuse to see big bertha pushing her cart full of ice creams and donut holes, steping up to the cashier and swiping that EBT card. Same goes for the ones that have their designer hand bags and cell phones... It's aparent to me that if you have all those nice things but can't buy food, you need to re evaluate your spending habbits.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by irsuccubus

I went organic a few years ago, so I stopped shopping on our local supermarket chains, I used to notice what you notice when it came to your groceries and the family next to you grocery cart.

I like our Farmers market but is seasonal and they no always have what I need, I still support them.

I drive over 1 hour to Tallahassee to the New Leaf Market, for my needs, they also sell raw milk.

Still I enjoy the drive and because is only my husband and I we can afford the extra expenses.

Is not cheap eating organic.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

it really isnt, which is why I started square foot gardening this year. I spread myself thin and lost some crops as a result but Im learning and next year will be better with those hard lessons learned. I went to Whole foods once and bought 5 things. It came up to 50 bucks, lol. That was enough to convince me to get out in that garden. And I know that space is a luxury many dont have, but I have seen vegetable gardens born from pickle buckets.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Doesent Taco Bell already allow food stamps? Or is that just a New York STATE food stamp they accept?

And for what it's worth, Taco Bell has tried to improve their food quality and decrease portion sizes. For example, each of their soda cup sizes has been cut down (ex the old 32 ounce 'large' cup is now 28 ounces) and they eliminated the 40 ounce 'extra large' cup from the menu.

EDIT: You heard it here first. Taco Bell will be introducing a breakfast menu in October 2011. However it will not be available on Long Island or in NYC

edit on 7-9-2011 by ChrisF231 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I applaude your self sufficiency!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Yes, if you have a good window with light coming thru you can grow spices and other small produces.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
whats the difference if I buy a package of hamburger or a couple of buritos or the dollar menu?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

They have no idea what the processing facility looked like...what shape the cows were in.

really now??..but when you buy your hamburger meat..you know exactly what the processing facility looked like,and what conditions the cows were in? Or when you buy your eggs..you know what conditions the chickens were in?

get off your high horse... please..its very difficult for me to take seriously how someone with the name insuccubus can be morally preaching to others how to take care of their kids.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
oops..double post..

edit on 7-9-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

lmao...you're cute. But for the record I grind my own sirloin...cheaper that way...and granted I may not have killed the cow myself but I trust it a lot more than a McDevils burger. And that you would use my screen name as your platform rather than engaging me in a true intellectual debate only shows your two dimensional mind and lack of a real argument. But its fine. I will not engage in cattiness with some random on ATS. That would be embracing ignorance as opposed to denial. And Succubus is the name of my company for the record.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by lilowl53

You do not know me either which is why this conversation is getting a little idiotic. I am not here to point fingers and throw words to people I do not know. By the way, I also said I would never be on food stamps..Most of us who use them dont want to but have no choice like my situation. Which I had to quit my job to care for my sick grandmother.
I do agree with you that there a lot out there that abuse the system. However some one may have a cell phone because it was given to them for emergencies and not for entertainment. As for the designer bag, was it a gift as well? I dont have one of those..lol and my cell phone is paid by me, by the minute only for emergencies. and its the cheapest phone u can buy. Assuming all those things about people is immoral and just mean, that's why we nice sincere people who have to use them feel like everyone is judging as we walk out of the store. Although my cart is not filled with all the crap you mentioned. Besides that, I only get a little to spend every month, the rest I buy on my own.. Because I do have some income and some savings from when I did work. Dont want to make bad carma here, just giving my opinion..my friend..

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by irsuccubus

lmao...you're cute. But for the record I grind my own sirloin...cheaper that way...and granted I may not have killed the cow myself but I trust it a lot more than a McDevils burger. And that you would use my screen name as your platform rather than engaging me in a true intellectual debate only shows your two dimensional mind and lack of a real argument. But its fine. I will not engage in cattiness with some random on ATS. That would be embracing ignorance as opposed to denial. And Succubus is the name of my company for the record.

hmm..and in all likely hood you got that sirloin from a processing plant...and we're not talking about mcdonalds here..I was referring to you putting up your nose at those who buy lunch meat for sandwiches.

Happy to hear you have a company.. (makes me wonder what the company is all about..but hey) ..as long as your paying taxes on the profits from your company.

As far as cattiness goes..you have been nothing but catty and condescending to anyone who would dare buy a frozen pizza..or lunch meat.
edit on 7-9-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Why is it that if you are seeking to educate your fellow human beings your are reviled and accused of being on a high horse but if I were to not give a damn...or even profit from said ignorance I would be burned at the stake for that as well. Sometimes things are hard to hear, but that doesnt mean they should not be said. We have let a lot of foolishness slide in the name of "not making waves" or "not offending anyone" and I am personally sick of it. Were I being intentionally hateful I could see an argument but I am not trying to claim to be better than anyone. Knowing how to take care of you and yours should be REQUIRED. not depending on handouts and or concessions should be a given. I know that there are those who have a genuine NEED but c'mon....Im supposed to look at everyone the same based on them? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I cannot do that. And it does them no favors to do so. If you dont like it feel it doesnt apply then move on. But in case someone might be listening with an open mind...why not speak my piece, and that can go for any subject on these boards.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

if all you got from this was that then I am sorry my delivery didnt diddle your senses. Sorry I didnt say things you could cosign with and nod your head to but I will not apologize for my opinion. If my conduct was unbecoming no doubt it would have been brought to my attention by a mod. So I dont embrace nitrites...get over it.

Oh and Im like Tyler Durdan....I make and I sell soap

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Great that you can garden and buy a cow to grind into burgers, not all of us can do that though. My garden dried up as I live in Texas which of course you know is in a severe drought. But I do try, I did get some tomatoes and cukes, peas this year. Its just to dry here and my water well is all I have to water with and need to conserve it right now. But now I know why you said what you did about not having to use food stamps. But you still never know what your future holds. Maybe I should build a green house.......... lol

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by lyons666

way back in the earlier part of this whole convo I stated that I had indeed tangled with DPW and was sympathetic to the plight. And thats the truth. But Doing something about my situation was within my means and I handled it. Couldnt find a job so I created one. No one on here knows me or knows what my life has been like so I dont expect people to get it. Some may...if they are self made...some wont. Even if I didnt have a dirt plot...I'd go hydro. If I couldnt go outdoors, I would grow tomatoes with T8 daylight spectrum florescent bulbs. I dont believe in throwing up my hands and saying "I can't, because..." If that is a character flaw and worth the disdain of my fellow man....*shrugs*

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by irsuccubus

if all you got from this was that then I am sorry my delivery didnt diddle your senses. Sorry I didnt say things you could cosign with and nod your head to but I will not apologize for my opinion. If my conduct was unbecoming no doubt it would have been brought to my attention by a mod. So I dont embrace nitrites...get over it.

As well.. I'm sorry I didn't say things that you would nod your head to.. but I too will not apologize for my opinion.

You say you want to teach people how to eat healthy and buy smart with food stamps..why not start a thread on how to put together a shopping list..and what dinners can be made with the purchases as well as how to use leftovers.

Instead you railed on about what others have in their carts... and dare to call them bad parents because they may feed their kids the occasional frozen pizza or luncheon meat in their sandwiches.

After so many of your posts, I couldn't hold it in anymore..and decided to speak out..on behalf of all those good parents who do feed their kids luncheon meat..and occasionally feed them frozen prepared foods.

Somebody had to do it..

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join