It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taco Bell and KFC want your food stamps

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I will admit to being blown away by this. Apparently Yum Brands, owners of KFC, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut and Long John Silvers want to be able to accept food stamps at their restaurants.

From Article:

Anti-hunger advocates support the move—Coalition for the Homeless said that for people who don't live near a grocery store and can't afford a restaurant, "This would allow people to get a reduced price meal at a small deli or a restaurant, and that does include fast-food restaurants."

But public health advocates say the government shouldn't be subsidizing fast food. "It's preposterous that a company like Yum! Brands [owner of Taco Bell, KFC, Pizza Hut and Long John Silver's] would even be considered for inclusion in a program meant for supplemental nutrition,"

I gotta say....Im with the health advocates. This reeks of ulterior motives and if anything we should be encouraging those on lower incomes to buy local...support their farmer's markets rather than these massive corporations who are less concerned with feeding the starving and more concerned with lining their pockets by way of shoving more processed garbage down america's already bloated snack hole. Food stamp benefits rose from 28 billion to 64 billion between 2005 and 2010 so they are quite aware of the truckloads of money to be made from all this.

gothamist.com...

Someone is seriously out to kill off the poor

edit on 6-9-2011 by irsuccubus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I can die now! I have waited for this day......

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I'm all for this!

Third

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by irsuccubus

I thought food stamps were a necessity not a free breakfast, dinner or lunch at a fast food restaurant! Instead of stopping the purchase of junk food, candy, soda, and other unhealthy purchases they're adding to the list!

Whatever knuckle brain politician came up with this idea, probably votes on any spending increase that passes his or her way.

I would understand allowing toiletries and laundry soap to be added to food stamp purchases, but adding these foods are not only unhealthy but they'll only increase health problems and cause obesity.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Demolition man predicted the future.

All restaurants will be taco bell.
After the fast food wars that is.

However this makes sense via corporate logic. The government has money to spend and lots of it.

1. Make a service or product.
2. Put a shill in a position of power to get the government to buy your service or product.
3. Profit!

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Seriously? Our tax dollars hard at work, padding the pockets of Taco Bell. Wait until Philip Morris hears about this, cigarettes at a slightly reduced cost when you use foodstamps!

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

God no! We are already fat enough here! Why make it worse? Next it will be for family dining restaurants and not just fast food.

And here I am able to buy my own groceries (though I still qualify for just about every government assistance but refuse to take it) and they might be able to go out and get fast food? Pffft.

I'm just glad my kids are used to eating at home and only getting the rare fast food meal so they won't start begging for it when they are able to communicate lol.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
The next step, for all of them, is to offer something healthy, which you can purchase with a food stamp. While this sounds good in theory, and any food is better than no food, and going to bed hungry, this does absolutely nothing positive for the obesity epidemic in this country. It's still low income families, being offered unhealthy, processed food.

One reason these companies are so successful, is they sell what barely passes as edible food, certainly doesn't pass as nutritious, or even real most of the time, to low income families, without other option, which causes this ballooning circle of obesity to gain traction. I'm not going to sit here and praise Taco Bell, when they made their profit off selling disgusting excuses for food, for years.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

I agree with you. Especially in regards to the absurdity of fast food trumping things like toiletries. There is big money being thrown around in washington to get this pushed through and I think they are going to succeed. Why wouldn't they. You can fly it under the false banner of helping people and because you have misguided souls who will see this as a good thing, they will be able to convince others.

edit on 6-9-2011 by irsuccubus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
WTH!!

I am sorry but welfare recipients get it ALL!! WTF...

They don't have to do crap for it and live a better life than most with jobs!

Food Stamps back when my mom had them were for basic foods not extras like shrimp and now take out for God's sake. This pisses me off!

I can't afford KFC so why should they!!

Also fast food is prepared so I guess that means in the future they can get their subs at the store...Yea I had a lady CURSE me out left and right cause she coudlnt get her hot sub on her card...

Sorry but where I live food stamp recipients PISS ME OFF and more than half dont belong on them..

Nice just one more "bonus" as a welfare recipient....

I know this food is not good for you but it's FF it is NOT needed to survive. I say they make food stamps how they were in the 80s...ONLY NECESSITIES!

It annoys me to NO END that they can eat such lovely steak meals and fish.....Must be nice..

Ok rant over.....

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

That is coming...booze too. Pretty soon you will be able to swipe a government issued card down a stripper's a**crack.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
And unless you live in Europe, KFC is crap. Ever ask yourself why KFC takes pride in offering better, healthier food in Europe than in the US? A KFC in San Francisco, is far worse, then a KFC in Sofia, Bulgaria. Been to both more than once, and there is an enormous difference in quality, in favor of Sofia.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I guess this is what Pelosi and AG Sec. Vilsack meant when they said Unemployment Benefits and Food Stamps were key parts of national stimulus. If this is their idea of stimulus, I'd really appreciate Washington staying clear out of it. The idea needs to be focus on how to get people OFF food stamps by removing their NEED for them, not how many ways we can make life on Government food programs warm and fuzzy for those getting it. They just don't get it....

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

One of the things that can be bought with food stamps that many people are unaware of is seeds. You can purchase seeds to grow your own food and yet no one is being educated on this fact. I know that DPW offers classes and work training...why not gardening and agriculture?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Food Stamps back when my mom had them were for basic foods not extras like shrimp and now take out for God's sake. This pisses me off!

If you're on foodstamps you should only be buying the basics. Not pop, chips, candy and now (possibly) fast food. I was slightly irked when I saw Papa Murphy's was accepting foodstamps.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

I highly doubt that most people on foodstamps are going to be able to grow seeds for food. Requires land etc. Good point though, I never knew that.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Isn't that humanitarian of them? Offer reduced price meals to people on food stamps.

If they were really serious about combating hunger, they'd offer one free meal a day to food stamp recipients and/or homeless. Better yet, offer these people jobs.
edit on 6-9-2011 by N3k9Ni because: typo

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
To play devils advocate here, i guess....There really are areas where there are no grocery stores or even a convenience store that sells food or can accept the benefit card.

There are poor people whom live in those areas that live maybe right next door to a KFC but can't get anything to eat because they don't accept food stamps. Why should they starve?

You people...seriously. I hope you guys never find yourselves destitute. I know a person whom had to stop working in order to care for her terminally ill mother at the same time she was taking care of her grandmother whom had alzheimers. She is unable to find even the most menial job because she has been unemployed for so long- on top of the fact that she once owned her own business which makes her a "risk."

All she wants to do is work. Not every one whom is out of work and receiving aid is a scumbag. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by irsuccubus

One of the things that can be bought with food stamps that many people are unaware of is seeds. You can purchase seeds to grow your own food and yet no one is being educated on this fact. I know that DPW offers classes and work training...why not gardening and agriculture?

Well because the majority of them are too damn lazy to grow food....Heck most don't even work, they milk the system so why would they bother growing food when they get a nice card in the mail and can get whatever they want anywhere now it seems...

I know not all welfare recipients are like this but the majority I come across are and it is so ANNOYING.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Taco Bell and KFC want your food stamps

First gay rights, now this!

WHATS NEXT ? A Republican in office in 2012

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join