It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.9 Magnitude Quake Rocks Washington D.C. Region

page: 41
<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Originally posted by soficrow
reply to post by loam

My birds were trying to tell me this was coming. But I didn't listen!

Hope you and yours are okay - and don't forget, Winnipeg is a quake-free zone. You all are welcome any time.

All seems fine. Fortunately, just a lot of shakin' and movin'

Of course, situations like this one are disturbing. Have you seen that thread?
edit on 23-8-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Calvert Cliffs nuclear power plant, in Maryland, has continued operating online throughout the recent earthquake event; though it is on its lowest "special event" rating. Personally, if I was in charge at Calvert Cliffs, I would have shut the reactor down- just to be on the safe side. But then I've realized, that the action would have caused havoc, on the electrical grid; especially for Baltimore City hospitals.
edit on 23-8-2011 by Erno86 because: added a word

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dilligaf28
reply to post by karen61057

Seriously? Now chemtrails are in the mix too? What the hell is wrong with you people?

Go back and read again. I said I saw a contrail, long and fat. I didnt see a chem trail. I said For you chem-trail people.

link   

Originally posted by karen61057

Originally posted by ProgressBar

Me too!

I went outside and I'd never seen so many! I'm not a normal chem-trail follower, but it was noticeable.

I'm only about 20 minute drive from the epicenter. Fredericksburg, VA

I am not a chemtrail follower either and I usually laugh even when I see the contrails in the sky. I went outside for a smoke and I looked up. (like always I am looking for those little green men) And I saw this long FAT contrail and I had a little private giggle about it. I had to tell someone on here though cuz some people take this very seriously.

Could you estimate the length of time you giggled? Were you disrupted in your private giggling, or did it just stop naturally?

link   
Well people are reporting that they felt it all the way here in New Philadelphia, Oh. Of course I didnt feel it...I was out job hunting. Of course, my car shakes (piece of junk
)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JAGx1981

Then go vomit. These people were freaked out because they never have quakes there. It must have been very frightening for them.And,yes, unusual events that happen in that area are brought to the forefront. The White House is there, well, you know what all is there, the government is there.
edit on 23-8-2011 by aero56 because: info

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Like I said it was thundering and that shakes my house all the time so it was most likely unrelated but still a weird coincidence. Sort of synchronious.
edit on 23-8-2011 by ldyserenity because: spelling

link   

Originally posted by AstroBuzz
Was it the Russian or Chinese HAARP program?

Anyone monitoring that stuff?

Not monitoring but I tried to say something about this earlier but it got engulfed into the pages like it was never brought up.

Never know.

link   
Hi Guys,

I live in Vancouver BC so Im glued to the earthquake sites quite a bit, been waiting for one on the west coast for awhile.

Quick question, as I dont live in America, but I have been reading the posts and everyone from Iowa to Tennessee to Maine has felt this quake.

Doesn't that seem like an unusually large zone for people to be feeling an earthquake that registered below 6?

Seems weird to me....

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

My apologies are in order then! I am very frazzled from being on the phone with the mother of my god children when the quake struck and the sounds of her terrified screams.

I apologize for mistaking your post as pro chemtrail. I was in error.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrdwzrd
Hi Guys,

I live in Vancouver BC so Im glued to the earthquake sites quite a bit, been waiting for one on the west coast for awhile.

Quick question, as I dont live in America, but I have been reading the posts and everyone from Iowa to Tennessee to Maine has felt this quake.

Doesn't that seem like an unusually large zone for people to be feeling an earthquake that registered below 6?

Seems weird to me....

Its a seizmic zone. Link

link   
reply to post by wrdwzrd

I'm not an expert, wrdwzrd, but I read/heard somewhere that it's mostly bedrock along the fault line and when that is the case, the reverberations are felted farther and more strongly. Again, just passing along something that sounds like it would make sense. Can anyone confirm?

Timidgal
edit on 8/23/2011 by timidgal because: (no reason given)

link   
@ TimidGal

I work at an environmental consulting firm, chock full of geologists, hydrogeos, etc. They said the fact that the east coast is mostly bedrock accounts for the fact it traveled so far. That, and the fact it was only 3.5 miles deep, versus twice that in Cali (typically). Rock is a great conducter versus a sandy/silty loam.

One odd footnote worth mentioning....

The people in my office that were standing did not notice the earthquake. I was sitting right next to someone standing, talking on their cell phone and I got up and started pushing him out of the aisle and he yelled "What are you doing??" lol

I wouldnt have thought there would be that much a difference depending on what position you were in. When we evacuated, most of the people were talking about just that.
edit on 23-8-2011 by dtrock78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
UPDATE:

Virginia Earthquake 2011: USGS Warns it May be a Foreshock

According to the United States Geological Survey (USGS), the quake happened at 1:51 p.m. at a depth of 3.7 miles. The quake was centered 27 miles east of Charlottesville, Va., near the town of Mineral in Louisa County, Va.

The movement lasted for no more than 30 seconds.

Minutes after the quake, the director of the USGS, Marcia McNutt -- who watched objects falling from the shelves in her office -- cautioned that the shaking might not be over.

"What the concern is, of course, is that this is a foreshock. If it's a foreshock, then the worst is yet to come," McNutt told The Washington Post.

Residents in Northern Virginia described it like "a freight train coming through the house."

Yikes!

edit on 23-8-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by wrdwzrd

Its due to the solid bedrock that make up the ground on the US East Coast.

It transmits energy across it efficiently.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by aero56

I knew someone would have to rise up to be the hero, didn't think it would take this long.

Get your star points and move on, NO excuse for grown people to act like children over a 5.9 no excuse, I don't care if Jesus is in Washington, thats just all there is to it for me.

When you sit without clean water for days after a hurricane while everyone in Washington sits on there ass like nothing is happening and then watch how the headlines of this is evolving, it's ridiculous on every level, if you don't like that then oh freaking well.
edit on 23-8-2011 by JAGx1981 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-8-2011 by JAGx1981 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
USGS reported a 2.1 quake at 6:46pm(CST) at the same place, only .1Km below the surface, and the lat/long are ALMOST identical
earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by glowingorbs

Yes there was one on Aug,22nd 2011 and it aligned Earth, The sun and Neptune. I just find it strange that Colorado has one of its biggest earthquakes in history on the same day as a predicted alignment is all.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Lets hope these earthquakes dont weaken our nuclear reactors on the east coast, then this perfect storm Cat 4 Hurricane doesnt blast them, causing nuclear waste to spill into our waters, and causing everyone real doom....wait that sounds familiar....hmmmm

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by wrdwzrd

It has to do with the type of medium the waves travel through. A smaller quake in the east will always travel farther and do more damage than a quake on the west coast. This is why the New Madrid fault zone is so dangerous. A 7 on the New madrid would do the equivalent damage as a 8+ on the west coast, because of the crustal make up.

new topics

top topics

<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join