It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.9 Magnitude Quake Rocks Washington D.C. Region

page: 44
<< 41  42  43    45  46  47 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Ok yes we know it was only a 5.9. We know that the world is not coming to an end. We know we will live to see another day but come on people. We NEVER have earthquakes in Virginia. ( or very small ones occasionally). This is BIG for us. If we feel we need to talk about it let us. You Cally people are used to these wild rides. We are not.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

So much for that joke.

To keep things balanced its important to see both ends of the damage scale.

you get a star!
edit on 23-8-2011 by wisper because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Don't know if it was posted...but as of yesterday here in southern colorado there has been over 10 earthquakes. pretty weird.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by wisper

Originally posted by wisper

Originally posted by loam

So much for that joke.

To keep things balanced its important to see both ends of the damage scale.

Really?

I just call it poor taste.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by BoogieBoy

That is a lot.

For regions that are not prone to quakes at all, it's perfectly reasonable to ask questions, and wonder why.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_journey_in
I can't help thinking this catastrophe must be related to the recent devaluing and discreditation of the dollar.

There is just so much evidence to point to it I do not know where to begin.

Surely it is a warning to America to pay back its 4trillion dollar debt, or pay the consequences?

Do we owe money to Mother Nature too! Sheesh, the list goes on and on.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by BoogieBoy
Don't know if it was posted...but as of yesterday here in southern colorado there has been over 10 earthquakes. pretty weird.

Yes...

As of this morning, it was reported that there have been Colorado quakes every 12 minutes....

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Pizza is here.... will begin chowing as soon as the beer is gone.

End Times!!!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by BoogieBoy

No its not, aftershocks are normal not "weird".

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

wow.

We might have our disagreements but still I hope you and yours are kept safe.

From the photos you gave that's a lot of structural damage.

Stay safe.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
New Age response to the quake: That was just humanity raising it's vibrations...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Clisen33

100% right, Clisen, they are not going to pay a damn thing but I can assure you that their phones will be ringing off the hook tomorrow to add the coverage for future losses by many policyholders across the northeast - more $$$$ in the insurance company's pockets - ugh
and kuddos to you for your post saying that the time for sarcasm and joking is over. Humor definitely takes the edge off of things in the right time and place, but now that we're seeing some of the physical damage and anxiety many are going through, it puts a different spin on things. Just wanted to comment on your decent consideration...

Timidgal

link   

Originally posted by SevenOhhTwo
Just so you know people that live here in Vegas are all from Cali what kind of possible stereotype can you throw at me??. So you have family living on the East coast freaking out, but you laugh at them "scattering like cockroaches" HMMM

I live in Vegas but I'm from the East coast......please say "many" not "all" I've made it a mission to never live in CA.

link   
I'm laying in bed here in New Jersey and I've never felt an earthquake as much as my memory can recall, so when my bed started moving, for a SPLIT second, I thought "oh man, do I have telekinetic powers?"

Needless to say, I was disappointed a second later when I was more awake and realized that that was highly unlikely, haha.

link   
Did not feel the quake in western IL, maybe because the New Madrid fault broke up the energy or something. Hopefully it didn't displace anything too much.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
My heart is still racing from that, I am in Maryland, I thought the building was going to cave in me and my family, my 5 year old was terrified.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Hopefully, that is the full extent of it.

It's a little unnerving to learn this could be a fore-shock, but for now, I'll just assume that is a long shot.

Thanks for the warm thoughts.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by darkest4

sorry, didn't mean to offend you.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Felt it here in upstate NY.
Was quite surreal.
Never felt anything like it outside of cali.

My bed was shaking, the clothes in my closet were "shaking/swaying" on the hangers,
Felt it for a good 40 seconds or so..
and it didnt even dawn on me that it was an earthquake until about 30 secs. into it! lol

I thought a massive train or truck or something was going by...
but sure enough.. it was Earth shaking!

I don't think there has been an earthquake felt here like this since I was a tiny baby, in 1980-ish.

Exciting! I want more!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Jobeycool

In California it sure did ... but don't know about the East Coast. There was never just one like today ... always aftershocks, but it might be different on the East Coast. I wouldn't worry, but I would be prepared.

I keep 4 cheap, lightweight, wire-hangers with nothing on them, spaced about 2-inches apart, hanging in the closet, so as soon you hear the clinking of the hangers you have a 5-6-second head-start to close the blinds and get to the nearest safest place away from glass and away from shelves that could topple if the shaking becomes violent or lasts longer than a few seconds ... hey, only 5-6 seconds ... better than nothing. I have lived through several major earthquakes a lot worse than this one (I'm in South Jersey today) and I've also endured many tremors.

Stay away from windows/glass, and if you are able to, then quickly close the blinds/draw the drapes the second you feel the shaking.

FYI - If you have children who are old enough to be left unsupervised while you take a shower -- you cannot feel an earthquake while showering, while the shower water is running on you ... unless it's greater than 7.0.

Believe me, the absolute worst thing anyone can do is to launch into panic mode. Fear is paralyzing.

Bottled water
Canned/jarred ready-to-eat foods
First-Aid Kits
Several flashlights
Extra batteries

The worst that could happen is you never need to use the above items for an emergency, in which case, that's a good thing.

It's always better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

new topics

top topics

<< 41  42  43    45  46  47 >>

join