It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.9 Magnitude Quake Rocks Washington D.C. Region

page: 43
<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gwampo

Originally posted by karen61057
reply to post by WeBrooklyn

None of that before hand but for your chemtrailers out there about 45 minutes after the quake I saw three very long very wide contrails in the sky over my area of southern Virginia.

I saw them in northern virginia. Oh, yeah. Chemtrails don't exist. otherwise, spellcheck would pick up on it.

Now that is funny ! My spell check does not recognize Google so that doesnt exist either.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Info on the Virginia seismic zone:

Virginia Seismic Zone

Before this one, the biggest damaging quake recorded in the zone was a 4.8 in 1875.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juston
Central KY here, did not feel anything. Father in Central Maine said they felt it up there.

Also in Kentucky. Came home and was checking reddit, had no clue what some people were talking about. One of the top posts was about the quake.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jana12

You CANNOT feel it if you are in the shower with the water running on you as the water disorients you, or when actively swimming, or while driving in a car, truck, etc. ... unless it's greater than 7.0
edit on 23-8-2011 by Jana12 because: typo

Not true. I feel 4.0+ when in the shower, have felt 4.0+ while driving, butI don't swim, so I can't comment on that.

What is getting at me, however, is the 'superior' attitude of certain people saying" it's only a small shake, get over it, we have those all the time".

What I have learned from living deep in an earthquake zone in an area previously thought relatively seismically-stable (a 16 000 year old fault reactivated last year), is that there are varied and many responses and they are all valid because people have different methods/toolboxes for dealing with events such as these.

Sure, on the West Coast you might not have blinked, but it also depends on the depth and the local/regional geology; but for people who don't regularly experience earthquakes they can be shocking, frightening, tiring, all sorts of things. Frankly, they don't feel better over time and it's always in the back of your mind.

Sure, it's not on the scale of Japan, Haiti or Christchurch/Canterbury, but I can absolutely understand the concern of people who experienced it.

Stay safe.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

I haven't got a clue and it seems like there is to much news going out to catch details on anything. Seems as tho they give some ewewitness testimony to every headliner and move on. So I guess as they say DETAILS ARE SKETCHY AT THIS HOUR ?

edit on 23-8-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
How can such a small earthquake be felt all over the world?

I live in Canada and I felt it!We never get earth quakes,but yet we've had 3 in the last 2 years.Before that it was 8 years since we had one.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperTripps

I think that many of us have our eyes wide open or we wouldn't be members here on ATS. With that said, just because you know what's happening doesn't make it any less scary...

Timidgal

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
My son, who is working out of state about an hour from the capital, told me that he was in his truck on his laptop when he felt his truck shaking. He thought someone was in the bed of it rocking his truck but no one was so he didn't mention it to anyone. Shortly after, one of his employees told him he'd had a call from his wife telling him there had been an earthquake.
I sent my son the link to the live earth update site.
What a wild last 24 hours!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clisen33
I just received a text message from Emilia Earhart on Nibiru, stating that she is massing the forces of the Benevolents to intercept the Reptilian armada headed to Sol System. Field Marshal Ron Paul will be spear heading the interdiction force on the UBS E'chuta (United Benevolent Ship) - an Excelsior class dreadnaught star ship.

The Reptilians made a horrible decision to fire their ultra-harmonic subspace particle accelerator at NORAD and the White House causing these devastating earthquakes.

Update:

Field Marshal Ron Paul just sent me a text message and is positioned 23 light years above Elenin to counter attack the Reptilians earthquakes today. The Excelsior class dreadnaught star ship he is in, is currently suspended in subspace using the ship's ultra-drives made by the ancient alien race of the Accelerators.

He is waiting for the command from Emelia Earhart on Nibiru to fire the ship's phased-subspace Higgs Boson Gauss canon.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
The damage reports and images are really starting to come in...

Damage Reports Around the Area

In the wake of this afternoon's 5.9 quake, reports of damage have come from around the region.

A library at 15th and Euclid street N.W. suffered a partial roof collapse.

The National Cathedral suffered damage to its parapets (spire-like rooftop edging), and there is debris currently resting in the grass there. At least one of those spires is noticeably missing its top. The Cathedral is currently closed.

Washington Reagan National Airport has some ceiling tiles down, although flights are still departing. Arrivals were temporarily suspended, but have resumed. Dulles has all flights coming and going; BWI has some delays, but none are severe.

A large water pipe broke at the Pentagon, causing considerable flooding in some corridors on the third and fourth floors of Ring A. The water has been shut off, but will be turned back on soon. A Pentagon official said that is the only damage they know about at this time.

Twitter user kateddc wrote that a church at 13 and Monroe streets N.W. has a fallen turret. "13th is one lane [northbound] for a few blocks," she tweeted.

In Fredericksburg, the police department reports that at least 11 buildings on Prince Anne, Caroline and Charles streets have damage. None are in danger of collapse. Two gas leaks were reported at Yates Circle and the FLS building; there was a water main break inside Cobblestone Apartments, and a structure fire on Cornell Street.

The town of Culpeper, Va. is 36.4 miles from Mineral, Va., and a state of emergency has been declared in Culpeper County. Public schools will be closed on Wednesday as a precautionary measure so officials can inspect buildings for any structural damage.

As of 5 p.m. Tuesday, three buildings have been condemned in the Town of Culpeper. One building in the 100 block of North East Street collapsed, and one person was injured and taken to the hospital for treatment. Other buildings in old town Culpeper have damage to their façades.

A shelter at the Salem Fire Department in Culpeper, operated by the Red Cross, is open for residents.

The county jail in downtown Culpeper was evacuated due to perceived structural damage to the building; 80 inmates were relocated to other correctional facilities.

In Bowie, Md., the top of a smokestack on Glenn Dale Road apparently crumbled (see image above), and a building in Oxon Hill, Md., experienced a partial collapse on the second floor.

reply to post by wisper

Originally posted by wisper

So much for that joke.

edit on 23-8-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I just read through the entire thread, and the thing that worries me the most is that Kro or Phage hasn't been in to tell us all how perfectly normal this is. Man, Langley must be a real mess right now.

If this is Washington's latest version of a "stimulus".. well, I doubt this one will work either.

Joking aside.....

I've lived through a few good ones here on the west coast and aftershocks are more likely to happen than not, so stay away from anything that can fall on you, make sure you have a supply of water handy, and stay on your toes in case you have to dance, just in case.

A few photos I took from the Northridge earthquake

Stay safe everyone!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I am about 4 hours south of Toronto and I felt it! I thought I was crazy!
I was sitting on my couch and felt that I was shaking, My blinds were rattling and the leaves on the tree we have in the kitchen were shaking.
It stopped within 10 seconds, though, so I brushed it off.I turned on the news just now and they were talking about it so I thought I'd come here!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Oh my.

Thank you for providing those photos.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Undertaker
Have there been any aftershocks and if not why? Underground explosion?

Aug. 23 - In the wake 5.9 earthquake that shook the U.S. East Coast and as far west as Cleveland, Ohio, David Oppenheimer, seismologist at U.S. Geological Survey, expects aftershocks of 3.0 for months.

www.reuters.com...

link   
reply to post by SevenStarrz

You're welcome.

And of course there was this obvious one:

They are saying three of the four pinnacles fell off.
edit on 23-8-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

link   
After seeing those pictures of damage, how much do you all want to bet that insurance companies are not going to pay out to cover these damages - because earthquakes is not listed on policies there.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

ultra-drives made by the ancient alien race of the Accelerators.

Ultra-drives.......

the Accelerator name sort of worked out pretty well for them!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

That actually made me laugh out loud! Thanks for laugh, i needed it!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by wisper

ultra-drives made by the ancient alien race of the Accelerators.

Ultra-drives.......

the Accelerator name sort of worked out pretty well for them!

I think I'm gonna stop on the sarcasm for now, seeing that the damage is pretty bad. It was fun creating sci-fi clips of far-fetched ATS conspiracy theories. I love sci-fi books, but I think the laughing mode is done for now in this thread.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by larphillips

That's bizarre, I live two miles from Rocky River. Didn't feel it.

But I did wake from a afternoon nap around that time. It was refreshing.

top topics

<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join