It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.9 Magnitude Quake Rocks Washington D.C. Region

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by rtcctr
Something is off with the reports,I live in southeast ct and i didnt feel anything but supposedly boston mass felt it....
If you draw a line from epicenter to boston I live on the line.How did it skip me?

It depends upon the geology under you and between you and the quake epicenter. I was in the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. San Francisco and Oakland suffered damage, many cities near the Santa Cruz epicenter down south suffered damage, while in San Jose (between San Francisco and the epicenter), we had very little damage.

link   
I felt it in northern nj and the cell phones are messed up, cant make or recieve calls, but texts are fine. Anyone know any info on cell towers being disrupted?

link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
reply to post by loam

I live in south florida gulf coast and I felt a shaking but passed it off as the thunder, because I live in a trailer and it always makes my trailer sake, but it may or may not be what the others felt? Started thundering here around 1 pm EST.

Where on the Gulf Coast? I'm in the immediate Tampa area, and felt nothing---I was on the couch with my napping toddler watching CNN when the news broke.

I feel for the New Englanders! I remember when we had the Gulf of Mexico 'quake in 2006. Once I realized that no, my felines were not beneath my bed rattling it, I had a hard time believing my rational side insisting that it was an earthquake, "This just isn't possible, this if Florida! We get hurricanes, not earthquakes! This just isn't possible..." Lo & behold, though

link   
Evacuated people from buildings in down town Fredericton, NB, Canada (east coast) as they were swaying and shaking.

I'm 5 minutes away and didn't feel a damn thing.

link   

Originally posted by murch
Can't help but think this is distracting everyone from whats going on in libyia. Paranoid.

But I thought Libyia was to distract everyone from what's going on domestically with the economy and Obama's cratering approval numbers?

link   

Originally posted by TheRemedial

I bet 30 Stars or Flags the big one is still to come for the area, that was just the teaser quake! Any takers, I will star your posts... 30 Stars if there isn't a larger more powerful quake in the next 2weeks in the DC area.
I'm wondering how powerful an after shock could be.Guess we could find out.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
It's beginning, the date is correct, Niburu is now on a near-collision course and will cause all kinds of problems that will change the face of the Earth. Prep up, everyone, we are now on the most breath-taking part of the roller coaster.

link   

Originally posted by asala
Video of the White house as the quake hit,
abcnews.go.com...§ion=1206833

Who are all of the people wondering around on the roof of the White House?

link   
BREAKING NEWS!!!!

HAITI AND JAPAN SEND THE US AN URGENT MESSAGE:

Seriously. Relax everyone.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
i am 45 min. south of rochester, ny and felt it! I have friends in Buffalo that did too!

link   

Originally posted by atomicn
reply to post by loam

This is Gods way to show the white people that inhabit the region turn your wicked sinful ways. Or else expect a catastrophic event that will destroy everything.

You all have been warned. Stop sinning or else. Down with Greed. Down with Babylon . The whore of the World.
a little fanatical in your judgment wouldn't you say - not to mention your racial card played - your statement hurts my heart -

link   
reply to post by scottromansky

I'm just north of Baltimore, and cell is out here. I heard Hampstead, VA was out as well.

Long distance land lines out as well. All traffic for the east coast goes through MAE-EAST which is in Reston, VA just a few miles from DC.

link   
reply to post by BobAthome

just curious,,,ohhh the Egyptian pillar,, ?? what ever they call it,, is falling down,, i heard.

My, my, are you referring to the Washington Monument?

link   
Are these quakes related to the New Madrid fault? With the Colorado quake yesterday and now this one, could the southeast be in for a jolt?

link   
reply to post by Britx

The exact same thing happened to me in Toronto in 2010. The quake had a bouncy sort of tremor like a large semi trailer, only it got bigger, the house really resonating with it.

link   
Double post it.

edit on 23-8-2011 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

link   
I lice in Richmond va never been so scared in my life my whole building shook. I wonder if Elenin caused this

link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
If a 5.9 can cause that kind of effect on the east coast bedrock....

What would a 7.0 or higher do?

Well, the stories have it that the last big New Madrid Fault quake in the 1800s rang church bells in Boston.

link   

Originally posted by Clisen33
I have to say it's kind of humorous to see peoples reactions to an earthquake in a region where they don't normally occur.

I was born and raised in Los Angeles, experienced the North Ridge earthquake and all of the in-betweens. Seriously guys, it's not the end of the world - I laughed pretty damn hard when someone mentioned that it could be Elenin. There are faults everywhere in the U.S. and a decent sized earthquake is bound to happen at any given time. I remember when the massive Chile earthquake hit that I felt some tremors rock the house slightly, so yeah the distance of earthquakes can travel immensely and trigger movements in other fault lines. I mention this comment because I see that some people out in Ohio/New York are freaking out that they felt it being so far away.

It's all good in the hood people - I think the ATS community that are reporting they felt it are taking it more out of context than a non-ATS member would (You know what I mean lol).

I'll give a little tip on what my parents used to do to me when an earthquake struck. I was so terrified of earthquakes as a kid that they would shove a spoon full of sugar down my throat to calm me down.

edit on 23-8-2011 by Clisen33 because: (no reason given)

DISINFO AGENT!

link   

Originally posted by jhn7537

Originally posted by 31Bravo
Florida checking in... didn't feel a damn thing
so in case anyone is worrying we're O.K. soooo... just trying to be apart of the cool crowd
My sister lives in D.C. and she is still running out of the buildings now they are being forced to get off the phone, and she's not allowed to go to the metro to get to her car (obviously).
edit on 23-8-2011 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

You definitely have bigger things to worry about, not some 5.9 eq..... Are you on the war path of Irene?

Yea but I'm not really in the panhandle.. I'm more towards the Pensicola area, and it's supposed to swing by us by a hair.. I hope.

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join