It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.9 Magnitude Quake Rocks Washington D.C. Region

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I think at&t need to fix this problem, if a 5.9 mag earthquake messes up communication then a worse event will totally crumble everything.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
A 2.8 just popped up on usgs...same spot

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Not sure if it's been brought up yet, but it's worth mentioning that the epicenter was close to the north Anna nuclear plant in lake anna VA. So close in fact that the reactors shut down as a safety precaution. This will be interesting to follow. Personally this is my first Exp. With this kind of thing, and I've lived in eastern VA my entire life. Crazy times were living in.

link   
reply to post by atomicn

What kind of drugs are you on?

There is absolutely no need to bring an invisible deity into a thread like this.

link   

Originally posted by kittendaydreamer
reply to post by Jana12

Also, you cannot feel a quake unless it's greater than approximately 6.5 while in the shower with the water running over you, as the water disorients you.

Good to know, I guess that's why my dad didn't feel it. He said he was in the shower.

Right .. I mentioned that because if you are in the shower, and your children are old enough to leave unattended while you shower, you CANNOT feel the quake in the shower as the water running on you disorients you, and you can't feel it ... so it can happen while your kids are temporarily unattended and you won't even know it.

I am not trying to scare anyone --- just inform.

I've lived through more than enough quakes and tremors then I care to think about.

As I said in my other Post, you CANNOT feel the quake if you are driving in your car unless it's greater than a 7.0, and if so, pull over and get off the roadway AND don't go under a structure (overpasses, bridges) in traffic unless you are sure you can clear it and get through it. If the traffic will leave you stuck under a structure, even for only 2-minutes, don't put yourself in that position.

Typically, when there's a tremor or quake there is more to come .. but as I said previously, that's in California.
I am not a Seismologist and I'm not familiar with East Coast fault-lines ... although this one did feel strong enough to trip another one ... but not sure.

I'm in South Jersey visiting family.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Yeah, that was something else!
I was bouncing up and down, never felt an earthquake before like that. Felt a small quick one back in 1998 it was prob. about 1.0 maybe. This was crazy had to grab ahold of something...

link   
reply to post by Madrespex

I am in Warsaw, Ohio between CMH and CLE. I can confirm that it was felt in Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati.

link   
Some people have been pointing to the New Madrid, MO, fault line for some time, saying that it is due to shake us up big time, anytime. It hasn't happened yet, but it can't hurt to hear a friendly reminder. "The zone had four of the largest North American earthquakes in recorded history, with moment magnitudes estimated to be as large as 8.0, all occurring within a three-month period between December 1811 and February 1812." en.wikipedia.org... Church bells were ringing as far as NYC.

A friend felt this VA earthquake as far as Toronto, a gallon of water poured out of her aquarium.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
from japan, to v.islands, to CO, then VA...all within less than a week....that's quite the quake wave traveling west to east

link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Probably a few extra here and there. It's not like its unusual to see guards on a major memorial.

I'm remembering from when I visited about 2 years ago during Easter break. Obviously I could only see from the ground level, not the level from the camera. I remember seeing 2 snipers, and then a third on a roof of a tall building about 2-3 blocks away. "kill zone" operation I guess you could call it.

link   
It's pretty crazy I felt it. I wonder what the hell caused it

link   

Originally posted by Neopan100
reply to post by roshambo

When SF has an earthquake is it felt in multiple states/cities?

My guess would be that if San Fran had say a 7.5 or above it would be felt throughout the state and possibly to where i'm at in Las Vegas. I've never felt an earthquake before and Nevada is the 3rd most active state in the United States..

link   

Originally posted by timelesstales
To all the California residents, all your comments about "oh I wouldn't get out of bed for a 6.0, or I've slept through bigger quakes than that.....YOU HAVEN'T HAD ONE LIKE THAT, IN QUITE AWHILE!!!! Get over yourselves, just because you live in quake prone areas, you act like others feeling's and experiences should be discounted.
[/quote/]

this dude has no idea what he is talking about. We get 5's all the time its gotten to the point where our media barely reports smaller quakes. Why don't you take a walk and grab a beer its not the end of the world. If cali gets a category Category F1-tornado you will not hear me crying about it i can assure you
edit on 23-8-2011 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

link   

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by upgrayeddc310t

Originally posted by upgrayeddc310t
reply to post by loam

"Rocks" may be an overstatement here.

For a region not used to such a magnitude quake, I think "rocks" is indeed appropriate.

In fact, they are reporting just now that the National Cathedral has sustained damage.

Quake damages National Cathedral, Ecuador embassy

The Washington National Cathedral, the highest building in the city, suffered damage in Tuesday's earthquake, with three pinnacles in the central tower breaking off, a spokesman said.

Richard Weinberg, director of communications at the Episcopal cathedral, said a fourth pinnacle was leaning and might also be damaged. The building's central tower, which is 30 stories high, also suffered minor structural damage.

Other damage reported from the earthquake occurred at the Ecuador Embassy, a recorded message by the DC Fire and EMS agency said.

Moreover, I certainly was 'rocked' in my own home. I really did think it was going to come down. I'm obviously very glad it didn't.

It's sad how quickly some have moved in this thread to ridicule the obvious concern of those who experienced the quake in this region.

reply to post by timelesstales

Originally posted by timelesstales
To all the California residents, all your comments about "oh I wouldn't get out of bed for a 6.0, or I've slept through bigger quakes than that.....YOU HAVEN'T HAD ONE LIKE THAT, IN QUITE AWHILE!!!! Get over yourselves, just because you live in quake prone areas, you act like others feeling's and experiences should be discounted.

Disgusting, isn't it?

edit on 23-8-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
As a Southern California resident, I must laugh at your 5.9. Funniest part was listening to the CNN news anchor say that this is a major quake that would take down buildings in California. Hype much CNN?

link   
All kidding aside, I'm not prone to conspiracy theories... Entertained by them yes, but prone to give them much credence? uhhh nahhhh....

ANYWAY,

Is it me or why is FOX downplaying this? Yes I know the Libya situation is a world news event but you don't take what is arguably the largest earth event to hit the DC area and basically brush it under the table.

It was a big quake by any measure for THAT area.

People were freaked out. That alone is worthy of much more information because we have, to the best of my knowledge, no idea as to WHY it happened?

So far, I haven't seen any compelling reasons for this to have happened and with FOX brushing it under the table... well? IDK... HAARP?

YOUR opinions please?

link   

Originally posted by LucidFusion
Not sure if it's been brought up yet, but it's worth mentioning that the epicenter was close to the north Anna nuclear plant in lake anna VA. So close in fact that the reactors shut down as a safety precaution. This will be interesting to follow. Personally this is my first Exp. With this kind of thing, and I've lived in eastern VA my entire life. Crazy times were living in.

Kinda was hoping that the epicenter, was right under the white house..

link   
Felt it while I was in Great Barrington, Mass. about an hour ago. Didn't last long, but holy s###!

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join