It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.9 Magnitude Quake Rocks Washington D.C. Region

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
To all the California residents, all your comments about "oh I wouldn't get out of bed for a 6.0, or I've slept through bigger quakes than that.....YOU HAVEN'T HAD ONE LIKE THAT, IN QUITE AWHILE!!!! Get over yourselves, just because you live in quake prone areas, you act like others feeling's and experiences should be discounted.

link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

secret service if you look to the bottom left corner you can see the rest of the detail spreading out accross the lawn im assuming thats either the normal gaurds up there as part of the standard ss detail or maybe a sam or sniper team>? but im pretty sure there all suposed to be there

link   
I work in Baltimore adn we had to evacuate.

Washington Monument may be tilted, pentagon has been evacuated and a section is flooding from broken parts, and pinnacles fell off the national cathedral, metro is still down, nuclear plants in VA are closed.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Hey just wanted to clear one thing up with the people talking about the planets aligning and causing the earthquakes. I know for a fact that the alignment with the Earth, Mercury and Pluto didn't cause anything because Pluto is way to far from them anyways. Also the planetary alignment theory is wrong and this is why I think so. Planets have been aligning for hundreds of years so if the planetary alignment theory was correct we would of had more major earthquakes in the 1700's-1900's. Don't get me wrong though, planets have been thought to cause a pole shift due to them aligning but it's mostly our " Celestial planets " Mercury, Earth, Mars, and Venus. Also scientists believe we are undergoing a polar shift right now because the compass is pointing Northeast when it's said to be pointing North and this is found by magma coming up from the mid-Atlantic ridge the iron oxides in the hardened lava act like compass needles aligning themselves with the magnetic field leaving a permanent record of the earths polarity. Also when a pole shift is underway but is happening " Very fast " it will cause very huge earthquakes all over the world, so where earthquakes don't usually happen like you guys saw in Virginia and Washington D.C. one more little thing before I go. The polar shift happens 4 times every 1 million years and the last one was 790,000 years ago, so that is why scientists believe we are undergoing a polar shift at the moment. But like people are saying definatly keep an eye out because these earthquakes could be a precursor to something bigger and more catastrophic. Thanks for reading and hopefully I answered some peoples questions on planetary alignments and taught you all a few things.

link   

Originally posted by FrankieNinja

Originally posted by mossme89
I find it highly ironic that as the guy is talking about how he initially thought it might have been a terrorist attack, you see this guy in the background:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a755170476c8.jpg[/atsimg]

COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT!

I don't understand???

Why is a Sikh in the background waving to his family on TV so amusing?

Why is it a 'coincidence' and coincidence of what?

link   
Damn morons fell asleep on the HARRP machine.....

link   

Originally posted by BurningSpearess
reply to post by BobAthome

just curious,,,ohhh the Egyptian pillar,, ?? what ever they call it,, is falling down,, i heard.

My, my, are you referring to the Washington Monument?

it ain't Washintons Monument,
its
one of
Alexanders, generals.
although generals do tend,
too find it,
for some unknown reason,
too be ,
significant.
Although i'm sure the other 3 are safe.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by leo123

Originally posted by Arrrr
Is the depth of this earthquake common? (1.0 km)
second
edit on 23-8-2011 by Arrrr because: (no reason given)

I believe the depth was 7KM, which is very shallow.

A 6'er at that shallow of a depth would certainly give everybody a wakeup call REAL fast. I would be very surprised if it didn't cause some damage.
edit on 23-8-2011 by leo123 because: (no reason given)

Noo... It was 1.0 km deep.

USGS data

Magnitude 5.9
Date-Time

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 17:51:03 UTC
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 01:51:03 PM at epicenter

Location 37.975°N, 77.969°W
Depth 1 km (~0.6 mile) (poorly constrained)
Region VIRGINIA
Distances

6 km (4 miles) SSE (152°) from Louisa, VA
6 km (4 miles) SW (236°) from Mineral, VA
26 km (16 miles) SE (133°) from Gordonsville, VA
32 km (20 miles) E (79°) from Lake Monticello, VA
66 km (41 miles) NW (318°) from Richmond, VA
134 km (83 miles) SW (219°) from Washington, DC

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 10.9 km (6.8 miles); depth +/- 7.4 km (4.6 miles)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
The earth is waking up and I'd expect more quakes to occur from this point onward.

Quakes most often arrive most unexpectedly and seeing as I've been through many
quakes of sizes between 6 and 7 ,I'd suggest you all check the small and important
objects and keep them from falling into places you can't find them or reach them.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by timelesstales
To all the California residents, all your comments about "oh I wouldn't get out of bed for a 6.0, or I've slept through bigger quakes than that.....YOU HAVEN'T HAD ONE LIKE THAT, IN QUITE AWHILE!!!! Get over yourselves, just because you live in quake prone areas, you act like others feeling's and experiences should be discounted.

Yea i agree a lot of people from Cali are very ignorant.. They think there bettter then everyone and they shoot people at preseason football games.. Dou*** Bags..

link   
Dear Californians who always say so what...

We don't have faults here....
So where did it come from?

At least we don't have to worry about Pennsylvania becoming ocean front property.

link   
I was sitting here on the phone when the lamp on my desk started dancing, and everything started shifting back and forth. At first I couldnt quite figure out what was happening, but having lived in California for many years it dawned on me.....earthquake.

This is the first quake of any kind I can ever remember here in North Carolina and VA. My sister said they felt the effects thirty minutes outside of Atlants. Now there is a hurricane on its way.

Strange times we are living in.

Edit to add - All of you west coasters on here yapping about it not being a big deal. I guess a 6.0 Earthquake isnt a big deal, unless you have never experienced a quake of ANY kind, like 99.8% of people living in the east. So please do stfu
edit on 8/23/11 by BlackOps719 because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by scottromansky
I felt it in northern nj and the cell phones are messed up, cant make or recieve calls, but texts are fine. Anyone know any info on cell towers being disrupted?

Update at 2:51 p.m. ET: Verizon Wireless and AT&T say their networks were congested as the quake sent people scrambling for the phones, the Associated Press reports

Verizon Wireless spokesman Tom Pica says there has been no damage to the company's equipment. He says the crush of phone calls made it hard for some customers to get through for about 20 minutes after the quake. That has since began to clear, he says. Sprint says some customers may be experiencing delays..

content.usatoday.com...

AT&T: We Have No Reports Of Network Damage But We Are Seeing Heavy Call Volumes

www.breakingnews.com...
edit on 23-8-2011 by robyn because: add

edit on 23-8-2011 by robyn because: add

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

I went back and watched again, there were at least 10 people on the roof.

I would bet thats not SOP.

link   
Felt it here on Brooklyn New York.
My door and bed was shaking.

link   
Well this quake completely bypassed Sharon PA, but was felt in New Castle PA, which is about a 20 minute car ride. I didn't feel a thing.

I have to ask though, I see mention of people getting nausea, headaches, etc...

I felt a little nauseated as it was happening but I was also eating a ton of sushi. edit: now that i think about it, at that exact same time my eyes were forcing themselves closed, which I thought was very odd...

What about hearing things? does/did anyone hear anything strange right before or right after?

The bugs outside seem a lot louder than normal, and theyre producing a steady, irritating, high pitch frequency.
edit on 23-8-2011 by semicolonsmile because: (no reason given)

link   
Three Mile Island sent a message to their Engineer *family friend* telling him that they were at emergency level one, which is a low level emergency. Unfortunately their most experienced engineer is on vacation in California right now.

link   
reply to post by roshambo

When SF has an earthquake is it felt in multiple states/cities?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Matrix Rising

Where in Ohio did you feel it? I am in Sidney and I didn't feel anything, im trying to figure out which parts of Ohio it reached.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
first aftershock:

Magnitude 2.8
Date-Time

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 18:46:50 UTC
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 02:46:50 PM at epicenter

Location 37.931°N, 77.935°W
Depth 0.1 km (~0.1 mile) (poorly constrained)
Region VIRGINIA
Distances

9 km (5 miles) SSW (195°) from Mineral, VA
12 km (7 miles) SSE (151°) from Louisa, VA
28 km (18 miles) NE (45°) from Columbia, VA
60 km (38 miles) NW (316°) from Richmond, VA
136 km (84 miles) SW (217°) from Washington, DC

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 2.4 km (1.5 miles); depth +/- 5.3 km (3.3 miles)
Parameters NST= 10, Nph= 12, Dmin=53 km, Rmss=0.16 sec, Gp= 97°,
M-type=duration magnitude (Md), Version=A
Source

Southeast U.S. Seismic Network

Event ID se082311b

earthquake.usgs.gov...

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join