It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Londons BURNING!

page: 93
<< 90  91  92    94  95  96 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
I don't know about that, I have not seen the figures. It doesn't alter the reality that you are 40 times more likely to be shot dead in the US than you are in the UK ( whether the gun is legally owned, or not ).

Alarmist statistics at their best.

With 280 million guns swilling around in the US, I'm sure it's not hard to come by one.

Unless you're a thug looking to buy one under the table, it is indeed hard to come by one. However, these thugs exist all over the world, including the UK.

If that were true, then why do we have one of the lowest firearms murder rates in the world ?

Annd stabbing rates shot through the roof after guns were outlawed in the UK. In 2008, there were 138,000 recorded stabbing incidents alone in the UK.

Also, your statistics don't jive well with other countries that allow citizens to own firearms, like Canada. We have a much, much lower crime rate than the US, despite it being legal to own long guns/pistols/etc. You have to go through a licencing program, background checks, etc. Irrational fear of something is NOT a good reason to have it banned, especially when it is something that can help people who would otherwise be defenseless against bigger, more powerful attackers.

This is also the last post I'll make regarding this argument in this thread. This isn't the time nor place for it, but I'm sure the topic will pop up on ATS again in the future. Until then, shall we call a truce?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
If the police handled the riots properly at the beginning, would we be where we are now?
I'm not sure.

These thieves destroying their own neighborhoods are really gonna make their area worse than ever, why does humanity like to self destruct?

Maybe the government is loving how out of control everyone is so they can bring in new laws? All this might bring less freedom for more security(control) ]
edit on 9-8-2011 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
'Iran ready to send HR examiners to UK'

Majlis urges UK police to end violence

Iran urges UK to restrain police

Iran has called on the British police to exercise restraint against people protesting over the killing of a Black man in London.

Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast urged the British government to order the police to stop their violent confrontation with the people, IRNA reported in the early hours of Tuesday.

Mehmanparast asked the British government to start dialogue with the protesters and to listen to their demands in order to calm the situation down.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenMe2012

Im from Southampton too and it made me laugh that they said Friday, looks like our yobs are a higher class as they have jobs to go to so it cant be done mid week because they have to be up early the following morning.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by CherryV

The Police have lost control, you can be disgusted all you want but it shows what little courage you have. Our areas and towns our homes are being wrecked and for what? Mindless yobs who just want to burn and steal and you want us to sit at home and do nothing. Children screaming and the old terrified, people losing everything, people's property destroyed, people getting murdered even and you want us to sit behind a computer screen wanting revolution wanting change to come about from posts on a message boards? What exactly do you believe in? Justice? There is none for the working people of this planet. What disgusts me is people like you that would rather our country burn to the ground than have people defending it, yet are quick to say everything must change blah blah blah. Sit behind your computer screen and post your worthless moans and rants, actions speak louder than words.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Expect another night of violence in Birmingham.

The police are going to close the jewellery quarter from 2pm as there are fears that rioters from elsewhere are coming to our city

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by MRedfield

I agree that this isn't the time, nor the place, to be getting into a debate on the rights and wrongs of gun ownership, and it would be taking this thread needlessly off-topic to continue the debate within this thread.

However, I will say one thing: if some of the American posters didn't pop into threads about Britain, making hostile and needless comments about our firearms laws, then there would be no off-topic debate about this ''issue'' to contend with in the first place.

Anyway, as you say, I'm sure there will be plenty of other relevant topics on ATS where we can discuss this matter in the future.

edit on 9-8-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Just saw a video from last night in Croydon. A Policeman, over a loud speaker system, said: "Please disperse or force MAY be used"

more words here.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenMe2012

Where have you seen / heard this warning - live in Basingstoke and haven't heard anything

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I can't understand why the police are doing NOTHING.... when I watch the news I see officers standing about or wafting ASPs about weakly but not actually DOING anything. A reporter on SKY said the police around him weren't trained in riot skills.. as an ex officer I call bullshoot on that as I KNOW they are...

Are 'they' intentionally standing by letting this happen so they can say "See, you cut our budget and THIS happens?"

I can't get my head around what I am seeing the police 'not' do.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by SecretFace

Vigilante groups will achieve more unrest. If you are so intent on helping, why not go join in with the clean up? I for one, hope the Police get more powers on Thursday (tho I think the army should have been called in, at least in London). What do you want me to do about it, get a train 150 miles to London? Start drop kicking some crims maybe? Yeah, good idea Batman...since most the train stations are CLOSED. I know what you're saying, I understand what you're saying too, but it dont make it right.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by MRedfield

Originally posted by zanoni7

Nope - because guns are actually the catalyst to this type of thuggery. See original shooting incident for details...

Given that over 13,500 people were murdered (using a gun) in the US in 2009 alone, we have a right to be smug.

And how many of those guns were legally purchased by licensed people? A fraction of a fraction of a fraction.

I love how the majority of people from the UK think that allowing public gun ownership means that they'll be handing guns out to everybody on every street corner.

Oh, and newsflash, the people you don't want owning guns? They already have them, despite your extremely strict laws.

Irrelevant my friend - a gun is designed to do one thing and one thing only; KILL. The gun doesn't know if it's pointed at a bear or a human being. I feel, in part, you cancel out the very point you're trying to make by highlighting that over 13,500 people a year are murdered in the US using unlicensed, uncontrolled guns.

For your information it is perfectly legal to own a gun in the UK as long as you have a license. Unlike the US the majority of us don't really feel the need for these 'dick extensions' and therefore haven't developed a culture that will sell them to anyone, anywhere* - or even give them a way at the bank when you open an account.

There are very, very few guns on the streets of the UK. That's the way we like it. This way we don't loose 13,500 people a year to them.

*With the exception of course of our regular sales to brutal, despotic regimes. If you're one of them, we got an arms deal for you. Come on over and see how you can keep the population in check!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Police have been authorised to use baton rounds (plastic bullets)

About bloody time

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB

About bloody time

Reaction is the opposite. Man has lost fear, and that's when they are most powerfull.

I gave you an star, but that's because I want to see the reaction.

edit on 9-8-2011 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   

About bloody time

Got a link to that please?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

About bloody time

Actually, the SKY news reporter that was standing outside Scotland Yard said that baton rounds have been available to the police for the last 3 nights. They just haven't used them. But tonight, that may change.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
The best punishments will be forcing these kids to clean up the mess and repair the damage. there needs to be restorative justice here. These kids have to pay back what they have stolen and what they have destroyed. Giving them a slap on the wrist or a fine is no good, they need to meet the people who's lively hoods they have destroyed, who homes they have have destroyed. They need to come face to face with the destruction and forced to repair it. Forced labour is the only way these kids will learn.

I totally agree mate... the sheer numbers involved though would make that almost impossible.
The one's they catch, definitely.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by CherryV

Did I say you? No, I live in London, I've lived in the slums of London, I grew up in a pretty rough area and all in all if my area where I live is threatened and at this moment it is, with this mindless actions, do you think I'm going to sit in my front room and watch it on the news and then post on here? No, I'm going to be out defending WHERE I LIVE! It does lead to further violence, when the will of both sides is of great level that neither will quit, but these are yobs, yobs that know that the Police will rarely act but yobs that know local people will smash them back to the stone age if they fight. I don't condone violence, but I condone defending your home which includes the area you call home. The alternative is to let these people destory everything that working people have worked hard for and I am not prepared and see people in tears when their business or their cars or their houses are wrecked and burnt to the gorund!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

About bloody time

No link, just repeating what was said on Sky news.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by blackcat99

Hampshire Police put a warning out on Twitter and Facebook last night.

The job centre got attacked here in Southampton. Lucky the fire didn't start but damage was still caused.

www.dailyecho.co.uk...

Messages like this are going around

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a13da2d971a6.jpg[/atsimg]

top topics

<< 90  91  92    94  95  96 >>

join